gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681090 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 04:42:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 417142 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »

I have been knocked for saying this before but I honestly think Steamboat has Brian singing "We'll Get Your Stemboat Rollin" with Dennis. The high part sounds more like him then Carl, and even if he did little at the sessions he could have spent five minutes doing a quick overdub. Am I the only one that hears him?  As far Dennis the way the word Rollin is pronounced is his unique phrasing.

OK now I finally had to go listen to the darn song, damn it all...

I can't believe they were going to open the album with this.  Ballsy, I'll say that.

Alright:
Yeah, I agree.  Dennis on the "Fulton" line on the prominent bottom vocal.  I guess the reason I question this as a lead vocal (particularly since Carl got washed out for co-lead on "Celebrate") is Carl's lead continues through this section, so to me it's a background vocal part, not a lead.

As for Brian on this part...you mean the high part in the left channel over Dennis', right?  I get why you'd say that, it does have a kind of a Brian-like resonance.  But the "worry Mr. Fulton" sounds like Carl's inflection to me, and there's a few places towards the end that sound the same way.  Plus since the track sounds like two people overdubbing themselves to death, and that's a two part harmony, it makes more sense that it's Carl and Dennis and not Dennis and Brian with Carl sitting it out.

So, yeah, I agree it could be Brian, but it sounds more like Carl to me.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »

It pains me to admit that it wasn't until maybe three years ago that I realised what "U Say Asee" was...  Shocked
Ok, last night I listened to "Funky Pretty". I must have listened to that section about 30 times in a row. I have no fucking idea what that line means. I give up! Somebody PLEASE tell me before my brain explodes.  Huh

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:41 PM »

I think it's just nonsense Jay. Adamghost perhaps Carl and Brian do the high part, but it sure sounds like Brian on the "We'll get your Steamboat rolling" line.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:30:36 AM by MBE » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »

I am in the same boat as Adam. The first half of that line sounds like Brian, but the phrasing on "we'll get your steamboat rolling" sounds like Carl. It wouldn't be unusual for them to split a vocal line like that. Maybe it is both of them.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2007, 06:06:26 AM »

It pains me to admit that it wasn't until maybe three years ago that I realised what "U Say Asee" was...  Shocked
Ok, last night I listened to "Funky Pretty". I must have listened to that section about 30 times in a row. I have no fodaing idea what that line means. I give up! Somebody PLEASE tell me before my brain explodes.  Huh

"U. S.ay A.see" !!!!!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 22, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »

Yeah, I agree.  Dennis on the "Fulton" line on the prominent bottom vocal.  I guess the reason I question this as a lead vocal (particularly since Carl got washed out for co-lead on "Celebrate")

HA-HA! So THAT'S what this is about!:D Wink

is Carl's lead continues through this section, so to me it's a background vocal part, not a lead.

Seriously, I'm not so sure. It's two different parts at once, and it's as loud as the Carl part. I think relative loudness levels have to be a factor in these vocal analyses. It's as much a lead part in my eyes as Mike is on "It's About Time" except Mike sings a tiny bit unaccompanied, but this is a lot longer.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2007, 06:49:35 AM »

As an aside, I'm gonna give Carl a "with" credit on CTN, after due deliberation and much listening.
It's not loud enough for an "and" but a "with" is fine. Wink

Orders of business before we move on:

1) AGD - permission to use the read-out of Funky Pretty for a close-up?

2) Does Blondie sing the bridge on We Got Love studio version?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »

As an aside, I'm gonna give Carl a "with" credit on CTN, after due deliberation and much listening.
It's not loud enough for an "and" but a "with" is fine. Wink

Orders of business before we move on:

2) Does Blondie sing the bridge on We Got Love studio version?

No probs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »

I am in the same boat as Adam. The first half of that line sounds like Brian, but the phrasing on "we'll get your steamboat rolling" sounds like Carl. It wouldn't be unusual for them to split a vocal line like that. Maybe it is both of them.

I think it would be unusual to split a line on what sounds like two parts throughout a continuous vocal track.  You could construct a scenario where Brian starts it and decides he wants to go home and Carl picks it up mid-session, I suppose.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

Wasn't the line from H&V "In the cantina margarits keep the spirits high. There I watched he she swung around and wound in the warmth her body fanned the flame of the dance" split between Brian and Mike? I know there 2 sentences, but the melodic lines goes strait through without a break.

Maybe therein lies the difference?  Huh
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »

Wasn't the line from H&V "In the cantina margarits keep the spirits high. There I watched he she swung around and wound in the warmth her body fanned the flame of the dance" split between Brian and Mike? I know there 2 sentences, but the melodic lines goes strait through without a break.

Maybe therein lies the difference?  Huh

Well, yeah, but that's a lead vocal part, where you're selecting the guy to do one line because you like the timbre of his voice for it (the part Mike sings dips into a lower register where, in '67, he killed).  If you're doing a background vocal (e.g. not featured) part, switching a guy on the top note in the middle of a session is just a pain in the neck to achieve not that great a difference in the overall sound (in fact, you don't WANT a difference in the sound because it's basically the same part).  I can't imagine doing it unless (a) Brian took off or (b) they were different parts done at different times, but it sounds to me like it's all one two-vocal part on one track.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »

I know that this has been beaten to death as it is, but I figured I'd add my 2 cents. On the "Mr. Fulton" line, I'm hearing Brian, especially on the "ton" of the word "Fulton".  It has the slight nasal quality of Brian's falsetto. But I also hear Carl for the rest of that line.

On a slightly unrelated note, "Steamboat" creeps the hell out of me for some reason.  LOL I just listened to it for the first time the other night, in total darkness. I won't do that again!  LOL

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »

....On a slightly unrelated note, "Steamboat" creeps the hell out of me for some reason.  LOL I just listened to it for the first time the other night, in total darkness. I won't do that again!  LOL

Were you, um, eating sandwiches at the time?  LOL
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 25, 2007, 06:39:42 AM »

He was drinking apple cider and listening to Randy Newman's Sail Away.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 25, 2007, 06:40:19 AM »

No probs.

Thanks!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 27, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »

Just made a few minor changes in terminology that have been bugging me to a couple of the earlier albums.

Before we move onto IN CONCERT, can anyone answer my question about We Got Love (specifically, does the studio version feature Blondie on the bridges)?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:01:26 AM by John » Logged
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:43 AM »

Yes, it does. Any other suggestions?

Watson, did you hear this?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 27, 2007, 09:48:19 AM »

Just wanted to say at this point...before the voices start degrading...THIS is an incredible thread. Thank you to John and all the expert ears out there who are making this truly the definitive evaluation of the Beach Boys vocal credits. As we say out here in sunny California....Awesome!!
MBE
« Reply #493 on: September 27, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »

On the "Mr. Fulton" line, I'm hearing Brian, especially on the "ton" of the word "Fulton".  It has the slight nasal quality of Brian's falsetto. But I also hear Carl for the rest of that line.

[/quote]

Exactly what I heard too.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 28, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »

Just wanted to say at this point...before the voices start degrading...THIS is an incredible thread. Thank you to John and all the expert ears out there who are making this truly the definitive evaluation of the Beach Boys vocal credits. As we say out here in sunny California....Awesome!!

Thanks to you too though!

In tandem with the musicians credits thread, this could just be a book. Anyone else agree?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 28, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »

Yes, it does. Any other suggestions?

Right then, I'll add that. Everyone happy with that?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 30, 2007, 08:49:34 PM »

Are you sure Ricky doesn't sing LTT?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 30, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »

I have a few things about "In concert" to add/ask about:

1. At the start of "Sail On Sailor", Dennis yells out "everybody!". Is that enough of a "vocal" to give a mention?

2. Technically, doesn't the entire group(including backing musicians?) sing "Surfer Girl"?

Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 30, 2007, 09:31:06 PM »

I have something to mention about Leaving This Town - should Ricky get a mention for his "sometimes it's hard" answer vocal?  According to Cynthia Plas . . . never mind, just kidding. Evil  Not kidding about the refrain, though

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:40 AM »

2. Technically, doesn't the entire group(including backing musicians?) sing "Surfer Girl"?
The lead on Surfer Girl is the one who sings the "We could ride the surf together, while our love would grow" part.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx