gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:49:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 413110 times)
pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 08, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »

That's Dennis on "fun to ride"?

Yep - 100%

Edit: Oh okay, Jon was first  Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »

That's Dennis on "fun to ride"? I always thought it was Brian.

Find a ride...and yes its Dennis.

I always thought it was Fun to run.  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 08, 2007, 10:33:16 PM »

I thought it was "FLAG a ride". In fact, I think that version of the line is quoted in the 15BO/Love You "twofer".  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 08, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »

Should we include "Sherry She Needs Me" as a "bonus song"? The backing track is from 1965, but the vocal is from 1976-ish. So technically, wasn't "Sherry..." a 15BO outtake?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: October 09, 2007, 07:19:05 AM »

I thought it was "FLAG a ride". In fact, I think that version of the line is quoted in the 15BO/Love You "twofer".  LOL

Nope - the liners say "find a ride".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: October 09, 2007, 07:31:35 AM »

Should we include "Sherry She Needs Me" as a "bonus song"? The backing track is from 1965, but the vocal is from 1976-ish. So technically, wasn't "Sherry..." a 15BO outtake?

But then there are so many outtakes from this period for 15BO, Adult Child, Love you and New album, all kind of recorded at similar times and overlapping. I'd be glad to see them listed though.
I think Sherry was post 15 Big ones, all Brian on the vox too, one of my favourite vocals by him from the late 70s. The shrillness of the falsetto reminds me a lot Frankie Valli, which is a coincidence as the song is about Sherry...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 09, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »

The fact that this board is largely about the actual music was what brought me here anyway.

Yeh I couldn't agree more John, that is the reason this board is the best. Plus I think that everyone can debate without making things personal is a great thing too.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 09, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »

I think it should be included. There was some important things going on during this period... Even if they weren't officially released.

Just my .02
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 09, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »

I'm trying to stay away from unreleased stuff. It's just a big can of worms. I considered doing it, but then I realised that we're already doing twenty or thirty albums as it is. And like you say, there's tons of unreleased stuff from this era alone.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 09, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »

Toni Tennille's voice is distinctly prominent on "Everyone's in Love With You" -- specifically this passage:
"Because, because, because you gave your love...."
Would this be worthy of a (background vocals) footnote?

Sure, why not?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:46:28 AM by John » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2007, 08:47:50 AM »

Not much contention here, as I anticipated, so let's do Love You.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »

TNWSY - Brian prominent in the chorus vocal (1st line - "Is somebody gonna tell me")

The bvs on "Let Us..." are the whole band.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:19 AM »

I see. I'll fix those both very soon.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 10, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »

What's the source for Bruce multitracking himself on the tag of  "I'll Bet He's Nice"?  I've always thought I've heard him in the blend, but I'd be surprised to hear it's all him.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: October 10, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »

Me too - I hear Mike very clearly in there. ("You my darlin'")

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 10, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »

I hear Bruce sing the counterpoint. The high "well it's you...." that sounds like Bruce multitracked.
Also, the bkg vocals on "Let Us Go On" and "Solar System" certainly sound "all Brian."
I tried it out with my studio monitor headphones and I can't hear any other voice but his.
I can his hear shrill voice between him trying to hit the low notes and the mids.
Especially heard on the second chorus in "Solar System."

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: October 10, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »

The bvs on "SS" are all the band - according to someone who knows about these things (i.e. not me).

The bvs on "LUGOTW" are also all the band - according to my ears and a session tape. That or Brian cloned himself three or four times.  Cool
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:16:05 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 10, 2007, 12:20:24 PM »

Hmm. Now if he cloned himself....would that mean he would get more birthday cake per year?
Listening to Love You in detailed circumstances once again gives me an appreciation for it. I loved it before, but even playing the chords on piano proves it's more complex than it seems.
There are lots of those signature "slash chords" that BW favors. You know, Bm/E

The production is far better than 15 Big Ones' wooden blandery.
Though I wish "That Special Feeling" and "Marilyn Rovell" were on here. Love You seems almost too short...probably because in my playlist I always ditch Mona and Ding Dang.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:21:36 PM by oranjuly » Logged
MBE
« Reply #543 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:34 AM »

You forgot to put Al's co-lead on Good Time.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 11, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »

Hmm. Now if he cloned himself....would that mean he would get more birthday cake per year?
Listening to Love You in detailed circumstances once again gives me an appreciation for it. I loved it before, but even playing the chords on piano proves it's more complex than it seems.
There are lots of those signature "slash chords" that BW favors. You know, Bm/E

The production is far better than 15 Big Ones' wooden blandery.
Though I wish "That Special Feeling" and "Marilyn Rovell" were on here. Love You seems almost too short...probably because in my playlist I always ditch Mona and Ding Dang.

Word on this...I remember working out "Solar System" for my band to do and it's quite complex, actually, without sounding it.  The roots are all over the place.  IIRC, it's F#/C# and then...damn, i forgot.  Anyway...

Darian Sahanaja's pre-Wondermints single that did two late period BW songs (one from LOVE YOU) in the '65 production style are revelatory.  You realize how good the underlying songs are.

Alan Boyd and others have indicated that 15BO and some of the other '70s BBs work got unsympathetic mixdown treatment.  Certainly a close listen to, say, the track of "Had To Phone Ya" offers support to this idea.  There's quite an arrangement going on there, but the final mix is reaallllly thin.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 11, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »

Totally Adam. I would love to hear Brian record Darian's arrangement of Do You Have Any Regrets. That would just totally kick ass.  Smokin
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 11, 2007, 12:21:56 PM »

AGD - Yeah, the bass is Mike, but every other bv sounds like a few Bruces to me.

MBE - What does Al sing on "Good Time"?

As to Let Us Go On This Way, I heard a session tape, but it sounds like the final pass of Brian overdubbing himself rather than a live background vocal by a number of dudes to me.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:53 PM »

AGD - Yeah, the bass is Mike, but every other bv sounds like a few Bruces to me.

This got me scurrying for the IPod...listening, you could be right.  If I was gonna bet on it, I'd say it's Mike on the bottom harmony (I know we're not talking about the "my daughter" counterpoint...I'm talking about the actual stack).  It's nasal and a little under the pitch.  The rest I can't tell...but it is awfully tight and well blended.  It could be someone multitracking themselves and if so, yeah, Bruce is the likely culprit.  It seems like an odd thing to happen on the LOVE YOU sessions, but who knows.  The thing is, it's so far back in the mix and on one side that it'd be hard to say with certainty without soloing the track.

I have to see Earle Mankey in a couple of weeks for a mastering session and if someone reminds me I'll ask him if he remembers Bruce coming in and doing something like that.

BTW, sounds like the master tape had a little trouble round the capstan when they mastered the CD...I hear a tiny "squiggle" in this part.
MBE
« Reply #548 on: October 12, 2007, 01:16:20 AM »

Al sings about half of it. The lower phrased gypsy music part. Lines like "She'll Do The Dirty Boogie". Brian sings the chrous and the first part of to each verse.
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 12, 2007, 05:21:11 AM »

Al sings about half of it. The lower phrased gypsy music part. Lines like "She'll Do The Dirty Boogie". Brian sings the chrous and the first part of to each verse.

I agree it is Al. Though this lead vocal (on the lower keyed part) is curious. To me it sounds like Al doing an extremely good Brian impression. So good in fact, that I sometimes think it is Brian doing an Al impression.

But I would guess it is Al because:

1). It sounds like his tones similar to on "Christmas day" for instance, and when he sings naturally without his normal chosen style.
2). His accent at the end of phrases gives him away e.g. on "today", "lead to" and "smoke".
3). He also says "Hey" at the end of the song.
4). Brian is usually obviously Brian. But when I doubt the singer, it turns out to be Carl or Al.

The difficulty is that parts of it sound very like Brian.

Someone earlier on this thread said that the two verses might be Al and Brian (I can't remember in which order, or who it was who said it). To me the first ("pitter patter") verse is very Al, the second ("dirty boogie") more Brian-like, since it sounds more clear and bell-like.

On "Back home" it sounds like the chorus falsetto is not Brian, but probably Al. Does anyone else agree. This is possibly backed up by the fact that Al is listed first in the background vocals. I would call it a lead vocal myself.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx