gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:21:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 415006 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:57 AM »

2. Technically, doesn't the entire group(including backing musicians?) sing "Surfer Girl"?
The lead on Surfer Girl is the one who sings the "We could ride the surf together, while our love would grow" part.
That's the "bridge". The "main verse" is sung by the entire group ensamble.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »

I have a few things about "In concert" to add/ask about:

1. At the start of "Sail On Sailor", Dennis yells out "everybody!". Is that enough of a "vocal" to give a mention?

Nah. Unless everyone calls for it, I'd rather leave out "spoken" intros and stuff.

2. Technically, doesn't the entire group(including backing musicians?) sing "Surfer Girl"?

We kinda argued when doing the album version that whoever is the most prominent and sings the bridge should be created as lead, because the others were harmony vocals.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »

I have something to mention about Leaving This Town - should Ricky get a mention for his "sometimes it's hard" answer vocal?  According to Cynthia Plas . . . never mind, just kidding. Evil  Not kidding about the refrain, though

:D

He does, I'll add that then. Album version too?
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 01, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »

I have something to mention about Leaving This Town - should Ricky get a mention for his "sometimes it's hard" answer vocal?  According to Cynthia Plas . . . never mind, just kidding. Evil  Not kidding about the refrain, though

:D

He does, I'll add that then. Album version too?

I'm glad you understood my infantile joke.  Yes, album version too

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2007, 02:00:21 PM »

This is probably making things needlessly complicated, but I remember resorting to the live version of "Surfer Girl" when we were learning tunes for the show with Jardine because the studio version was so close and low there were some parts I couldn't romance out with certainty, and I remember at the time (I'm using the IPod to get ready for a different show, so I can't confirm my recollection) noting with surprise that the falsetto "lead" vocal (not the bridge) was nobody whose voice I was familiar with.  I assumed it was Hinsche, but does anybody know?  I had expected the voice to be Al's, but it wasn't.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 01, 2007, 02:07:09 PM »

Most likely is Billy H.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 01, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »

"We kinda argued when doing the album version that whoever is the most prominent and sings the bridge should be created as lead, because the others were harmony vocals."

I think a better measure would be who is singing the melody.  "Most prominent" is a bit vague...for instance with Surfer Girl, Brian is the lead because he is singing the melody.  The group is singing harmony with him, but I don't consider that a group "lead vocal".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:31:23 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 01, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »

Should we give Al some kind of mention for singing the lead on the first chorus of Sloop John B in unison with Carl? It is just the 2 of them singing and at least deserves a special harmony mention.

Seems like Al and Billy did rotate the falsetto during the late 70's quite a bit.  I had never heard of anyone other than Al and Brian doing the Surfer Girl from the 60's- till the mid 80's.  You learn something new everyday!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 01, 2007, 09:09:57 PM »

This is probably making things needlessly complicated, but I remember resorting to the live version of "Surfer Girl" when we were learning tunes for the show with Jardine because the studio version was so close and low there were some parts I couldn't romance out with certainty, and I remember at the time (I'm using the IPod to get ready for a different show, so I can't confirm my recollection) noting with surprise that the falsetto "lead" vocal (not the bridge) was nobody whose voice I was familiar with.  I assumed it was Hinsche, but does anybody know?  I had expected the voice to be Al's, but it wasn't.
I'm glad somebody mentioned this. This same question has bugged me for years. Let's the "process of elimination" game. It's sounds like Al...but it's not. It's not Dennis, Carl, or Mike. It's can't be Bruce because he wasn't there. Grin  I don't think It's Blondie. I don't know what Ricky sounds like.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 02, 2007, 08:02:12 AM »

"We kinda argued when doing the album version that whoever is the most prominent and sings the bridge should be created as lead, because the others were harmony vocals."

I think a better measure would be who is singing the melody.  "Most prominent" is a bit vague...for instance with Surfer Girl, Brian is the lead because he is singing the melody.  The group is singing harmony with him, but I don't consider that a group "lead vocal".

You know, I think that what was actually decided as the criterion, but I'm a sap and forgot that. Yeah, it's whoever's singing the melody.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 02, 2007, 08:03:16 AM »

Should we give Al some kind of mention for singing the lead on the first chorus of Sloop John B in unison with Carl? It is just the 2 of them singing and at least deserves a special harmony mention.

Why not! I'll add it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: October 02, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »

I'm glad somebody mentioned this. This same question has bugged me for years. Let's the "process of elimination" game. It's sounds like Al...but it's not. It's not Dennis, Carl, or Mike. It's can't be Bruce because he wasn't there. Grin  I don't think It's Blondie. I don't know what Ricky sounds like.

Bobby Figueroa has a mean falsetto... except he wasn't there either. Probably Billy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:26:24 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »

I just got confirmation from Billy Hinsche that it was indeed him (Billy) singing the falsetto on SG live.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 02, 2007, 09:39:42 AM »

I just got confirmation from Billy Hinsche that it was indeed him (Billy) singing the falsetto on SG live.

Neat!  Is that worth a mention, then?  It is a prominent part...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 02, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »

Neat!  Is that worth a mention, then?  It is a prominent part...

I say YES...let's give Mr. Billy H. an official credit in this definitive thread. It's a leadish vocal on an official BB's LP.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 03, 2007, 08:57:09 AM »

Done and done.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »

So that's Al on the bridge, right?

I think it should be "Group, with Al on bridge and Billy on falsetto"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 04, 2007, 07:35:20 AM »

I disagree, mainly because part of the motive in my mind of this thread was to get rid of the "Group" listing, unless all members of the group including Brian are there. Al is the bridge, Billy is the falsetto, everyone else is harmony vocals seems fine to me, unless there's a massive outcry.  Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:37:00 AM by John » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »

I disagree, mainly because part of the motive in my mind of this thread was to get rid of the "Group" listing, unless all members of the group including Brian are there. Al is the bridge, Billy is the falsetto, everyone else is harmony vocals seems fine to me, unless there's a massive outcry.  Grin Cheesy

Billy called me about another matter last night and we talked a little about this thread. He reiterated that the SG falsetto is his...and he thought the fact that we were all developing this thread was very cool!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 05, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »

Excellent! I'm really glad this thread has gone the distance. I find this much more interesting than rehashing the "scandal". The fact that this board is largely about the actual music was what brought me here anyway.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 07, 2007, 02:59:46 PM »

I might also give Dennis a credit for the bass vocal on Its OK since there are some lines with no other vocals on top of them...yeah. But I'd imagine Mike might have more than a few of those on some of the earlier stuff.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2007, 07:26:04 AM »

I tend to leave out anything like bass vocals for Mike and short passages of falsetto for Brian since that's their standard schtick anyway, but since I'm already listing Denny for the tag, I'll add the bass vocal since he doesn't do it that often.
cerro azul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2007, 10:07:43 AM »

Toni Tennille's voice is distinctly prominent on "Everyone's in Love With You" -- specifically this passage:
"Because, because, because you gave your love...."
Would this be worthy of a (background vocals) footnote?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: October 08, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »

That's Dennis on "fun to ride"? I always thought it was Brian.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 08, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »

That's Dennis on "fun to ride"? I always thought it was Brian.

Find a ride...and yes its Dennis.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx