gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:45:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 413122 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »

I have a request, can we do a vocal inventory on the Beach Boys' solo albums? I think it'd be really interesting to see who sang what on POB and Bambu. But I'd also like to see what songs Carl sang backing vocals on for Mike's unreleased albums.
So let's propose a list of albums (solo) that we can help ID the (really noticeable) backing vocalists....the leads should be obvious as to who's solo album it is  Wink

Lady/Sound of Free
Goin Public
POB
Bambu
Celebration's albums- Almost Summer, Celebration, Disco Celebration
First love
Country love
Looking back with love
Unleash the love
Carl Wilson
Youngblood
All of Brian's solo albums
Al Family and friends live in LV
Postcard from CA

Did I forget anything?

I'm looking forward to this!!

No takers?
Perhaps I'll throw some credits out there if anyone is interested.
I can start doing research within my archives, notes, and other goodies.
I just don't know if I know any songs that'll make up an album, or just a few random songs from POB and a couple from looking back with Love, and some from Postcard from CA.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »

Thinking about it now, we should do definitive vocals for the newer unreleased songs from Made in California...sure we know Denny sang lead on WIBNTLA and Barnyard Blues, but I'd love to read if someone heard other voices on the recordings and who it was...since I still don't own MIC, I don't know if alternative versions would apply such as Amusement Parks USA (I've only heard it a few times), but we do know there's way more vocals to identify on the alternative version of Meant For You.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 30, 2015, 05:54:14 AM »

This absolute gem of a topic should be more visible than it has been of late.

For a straight list of who sang lead on what, go to http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.0.html 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: November 28, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »

For a straight list of who sang lead on what, go to http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.0.html 

You're right - and I just caught an error there:

8.    I'm So Lonely                          - Brian (verses, refrains) and Carl (middle-eight) 2
9.    Where I Belong                        - Carl (verses) and Alan (chorus counter-melody)
10.  I Do Love You                          - Carl (verses) and Alan (refrains)
11.  It's Just A Matter Of Time         - Brian and Mike

Bonus Tracks:

12.  Male Ego                                  - Mike and Brian
13.  California Dreamin' (Version One)    - Mike (1st verse), Carl (2nd verse), Alan (third verse, chorus)
14.  Chasin' The Sky                      - Carl, with Mike on bass vocal
15.  East Meets West                    - Mike, Alan, Carl, Frankie Valli and Brian +

1 Prominent vocal: Brian on response vocal on the choruses.
2 Prominent vocal: Stevie Wonder on the fade.

I'm pretty sure Stevie Wonder does not sing on the fade of "I'm So Lonely", but rather on the fade of "I Do Love You".  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »

Thinking about it now, we should do definitive vocals for the newer unreleased songs from Made in California...sure we know Denny sang lead on WIBNTLA and Barnyard Blues, but I'd love to read if someone heard other voices on the recordings and who it was...

I hadn't noticed the activity in this--as john k correctly said--gem of a topic, but I agree that the previously unreleased tunes in particular on MIC would be well worth studying.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: November 28, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »

Thinking about it now, we should do definitive vocals for the newer unreleased songs from Made in California...sure we know Denny sang lead on WIBNTLA and Barnyard Blues, but I'd love to read if someone heard other voices on the recordings and who it was...

I hadn't noticed the activity in this--as john k correctly said--gem of a topic, but I agree that the previously unreleased tunes in particular on MIC would be well worth studying.

If only we had, say, a sessionography....  angel
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »

I feel confident that I've seen a thread like this, but without the discussion; just a list of albums with vocal credits. But now I can't find it. Did I imagine it? Can anyone help me?
Eta: hilarious. There's a link about 4 posts above. Never mind.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:06:50 PM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »

Typing "definitive vocal" in the search box, I've got several results. Make sure to search by "Topic subjects only". This one is called "Thread", the other you're referring to is "List": http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.0.html

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 07, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »

Typing "definitive vocal" in the search box, I've got several results. Make sure to search by "Topic subjects only". This one is called "Thread", the other you're referring to is "List": http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.0.html
Thanks for the search tips!  Clicking "topic subjects only" was the missing link.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:09:56 PM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 07, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »

I actually read these "search tips" here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=help;page=searching

It is a "Help" page last chapter. Click it & you'll see Introduction; how to register etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 19, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »

Been listening to "Let the Wind Blow" lately, and it seems it's Brian and Carl doing unisons on every lead line besides the "Oohs" in the verses. But they're BOTH singing in unison on the "Don't take her out of my life..." part. Kind of cool that only 3 BBs sang on that one.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »

I don't know if it's useful information, but all the backing vocals on "Feel Flows" are Carl and Marilyn (per Marilyn).

I love "Feel Flows" so much more now that I know Marilyn sings on it. Her and Carl had a great blend. Sounds like she's singing the high "ahhhhhs" in the verses too.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1312 on: June 05, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »

I don't know if it's useful information, but all the backing vocals on "Feel Flows" are Carl and Marilyn (per Marilyn).

I love "Feel Flows" so much more now that I know Marilyn sings on it. Her and Carl had a great blend. Sounds like she's singing the high "ahhhhhs" in the verses too.

I've always heard Bruce on the chorus to "Feel Flows", and had the chance to ask him a few years back - he told me that Carl asked Brian to sing on it, and Brian asked him (Bruce) to sing on it, so the two of them sang it together. Maybe Marilyn was just thinking of the verse backgrounds, which I can totally hear as her and Carl.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 13, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »

And I'm bumping it again, just to get that d*ckhead pridelove955 off the "General On Topic Discussions" page. LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1314 on: December 26, 2019, 06:02:47 AM »

testing
SBonilla
« Reply #1315 on: December 26, 2019, 06:32:06 AM »

testing

check. one...two...