gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:32:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 413183 times)
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: October 23, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »

Yes, "She's Got Rhythm"'s verses are definitely Mike.

The bass vocal on "CGWM" is definitely Mike on the second time round. Regarding the first time; I'm not sure. It sounds like Al possibly, although the last note could be Mike. The whole line could be Mike and Al together.

"Forever" definitely has Mike humming the bass line all the way through. He also sings "baby" at the end of some lines. The "together my love" 's are certainly a mixture. Dennis sings the first, second and fifth it seems, and Mike sings the third. The fourth seems to have the fist note by Mike and then Dennis replaces him on the rest of the line.

Incidentally I notice that in "Forever" Dennis and Carl sing the "Do do do" section in unison starting at 0:53.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: October 23, 2007, 05:58:13 PM »

The bass vocal on "CGWM" is definitely Mike on the second time round. Regarding the first time; I'm not sure. It sounds like Al possibly, although the last note could be Mike. The whole line could be Mike and Al together.

"Forever" definitely has Mike humming the bass line all the way through. He also sings "baby" at the end of some lines. The "together my love" 's are certainly a mixture. Dennis sings the first, second and fifth it seems, and Mike sings the third. The fourth seems to have the fist note by Mike and then Dennis replaces him on the rest of the line.

Incidentally I notice that in "Forever" Dennis and Carl sing the "Do do do" section in unison starting at 0:53.

Actually, I would say that on "She's Got Rhythm", Brian sings the first half of the verses (as well as the refrain) while Mike sings the second half of the verses.  Or you could call the part that Mike sings the "bridge", but it's a bridge that appears more than once....which does happen in some songs.
MBE
« Reply #602 on: October 24, 2007, 02:32:29 AM »

Sorry to "butt in" here, but isn't it Brian doing the verses on "She's Got Rhythm"?

Yep...his first full falsetto lead since what, '65?  '66? 

Cool Cool Water had half of his lead recorded in 1970. THat is a duet, so I guess I Went To Sleep from 1968 would be the last full lead. Don't You Just Know It was from 1970 but was a duet with Jam Berry and released as a solo single by him. Awake and Won't You Tell Him from 1971 has a falsetto lead but as they weren't released I guess that doesn't count.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »

After listening to CGWM, I agree that it's Mike the second time. Good catch, and I'll add that now.

I think the She's Got Rhythm question is a matter of what we should term the Mike bits and the Brian bits. I'll change it to "A section" and "B section" until someone has a better idea.

Also, going back to 15BO, how to we stand on the end of That Same Song? Does Marilyn deserve a credit or not?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »

Sorry to "butt in" here, but isn't it Brian doing the verses on "She's Got Rhythm"?

Cool Cool Water had half of his lead recorded in 1970. THat is a duet, so I guess I Went To Sleep from 1968 would be the last full lead. Don't You Just Know It was from 1970 but was a duet with Jam Berry and released as a solo single by him. Awake and Won't You Tell Him from 1971 has a falsetto lead but as they weren't released I guess that doesn't count.

"I Went To Sleep" is a duet...with Carl...sung in harmony, but I would classify both parts as the lead.
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »

"I Went To Sleep" is a duet...with Carl...sung in harmony, but I would classify both parts as the lead.

"I Went To Sleep" a duet? Brian sings the words and Carl hums underneath. The rest of the song is a four part harmony (Mike, Carl, Al and Brian from lowest to highest). Therefore personally I would call it a Brian lead only.
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 24, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »

Actually, I would say that on "She's Got Rhythm", Brian sings the first half of the verses (as well as the refrain) while Mike sings the second half of the verses.  Or you could call the part that Mike sings the "bridge", but it's a bridge that appears more than once....which does happen in some songs.

You're right of course. Sorry, I hadn't cottoned on to the problem of naming the different sections appropriately until I read John's post.

After listening to CGWM, I agree that it's Mike the second time. Good catch, and I'll add that now.

I think the She's Got Rhythm question is a matter of what we should term the Mike bits and the Brian bits. I'll change it to "A section" and "B section" until someone has a better idea.

Also, going back to 15BO, how to we stand on the end of That Same Song? Does Marilyn deserve a credit or not?

Well, personally, I still think Marilyn deserves a credit. It is a prominent part. I suppose it could be thought of as one of several harmonies in the background vocals (as the sleeve notes indicate), but to me it is more like a lead part.

And "Back home". That still sounds like Al on the refrain to me: Brian carries on singing over it at the end of the song and the falsetto doesn't sound like Brian.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 24, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »

Don't You Just Know It was from 1970 but was a duet with Jam Berry and released as a solo single by him.

Was that for sure from 1970?  Given the quality of Brian's (on the rough mixes, worse than I'd expect in '70) and Jan's (better than I'd expect in '70) voices, and that the single came out in '73, I would have expected it to be later. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: October 24, 2007, 08:17:52 PM »

You're right of course. Sorry, I hadn't cottoned on to the problem of naming the different sections appropriately until I read John's post.

Well, personally, I still think Marilyn deserves a credit. It is a prominent part. I suppose it could be thought of as one of several harmonies in the background vocals (as the sleeve notes indicate), but to me it is more like a lead part.

And "Back home". That still sounds like Al on the refrain to me: Brian carries on singing over it at the end of the song and the falsetto doesn't sound like Brian.

I think what it comes down to is this:  Beach Boys songs have a LOT of vocal parts, most of which dance & weave around in the background, and sometimes an individual voice will jump out on a line here & there.   "Til I Die' is the perfect example:  Carl & Alan definitely have prominent parts, but I personally wouldn't credit them as leads.  I might classify this one as "group vocals" for most of the song, with "solo vocal" parts by Brian.  Maybe this was already covered much earlier, but on "California Girls" I would simply classify Mike as the lead vocalist, Brian as "falsetto" among the backgrounds (yes I know he sings the melody in the choruses, but still there's so many voices going on there that I consider his merely one part of a vocal ensemble...just the brightest color in a whole pattern), and Bruce as "chorus response vocal".   It just depends on how you want to label things, and how picky you want to get.  Some of us are in danger of losing our minds over this!  Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

I have a question about the song "My Diane". i've been patiently waiting for the MIU album to be discussed.  Wink Who does the prominent "falsetto" part that goes "I love you Diane, I miss you Diane"? I don't think it's Brian. It sounds like Al to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: October 24, 2007, 08:59:32 PM »

I have a question about the song "My Diane". i've been patiently waiting for the MIU album to be discussed.  Wink Who does the prominent "falsetto" part that goes "I love you Diane, I miss you Diane"? I don't think it's Brian. It sounds like Al to me.

To me it sounds like Brian. 
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 25, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »

Yeah, Brian.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »

Also, I've added Marilyn for That Same Song. It's a "with" at the moment, but I may change it to a footnote when I have a bit more time - and have actually dug out my copy, which I put somewhere when I was doing the album listing and I'm not sure where... Grin
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 27, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »

On to L.A. Light... in a coupla days..:D
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 27, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »

Ooh!  Ooh!  I got that one.

Carl, Dennis and Bruce -- the whole album!

KTSA anyone?  Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: October 27, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!  I got that one.

Carl, Dennis and Bruce -- the whole album!

KTSA anyone?  Wink

[koff] "Lady Lynda"  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 27, 2007, 05:16:07 PM »

Details...
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 28, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »

A coupla days turned out to be one. :D
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 28, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »

Should Mike get a special mention for the tag on Lady Lynda? Not sure if its a lead but its an important harmony part.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: October 28, 2007, 10:26:32 AM »

Alan sings the chorus on "HCTN" Huh Errr... don't think so.

But I do think Mike should get a credit for his bass and intro vocal on that. He's very prominent on the intro to "Good Timin'" too... and the tag of "Lynda".

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #620 on: October 28, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »

Whjat about the versions of California Feelin', Lookin' Down the Coast and Santa Ana Winds that were consdered for this album
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: October 28, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »

All as yet unreleased in those versions.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: October 28, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »

Whjat about the versions of California Feelin', Lookin' Down the Coast and Santa Ana Winds that were consdered for this album

IMO, LA would have benefitted from all those three but are they actually LA outtakes though? They don't have that production sheen that is on it, I thought it was just random stuff recorded around that time - MIU/New Album/California feeling etc.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
thomasogg
« Reply #623 on: October 28, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »

I heard the isolated "I Love You' and it is Brian.

Why not just read the sleeve notes? It was Carl.

(Know we not meant to bring up old threads but hey ho...)
thomasogg
« Reply #624 on: October 28, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »

Back to the present, I absolutely adore that version of 'Santa Ana Winds', so much better than the produced-to-death version on KTSA. LA is yet another of those BB albums that could've been so much better, with the material they had availiable at the time, such as the aforementioned 'Santa..' and the tracks Dennis had to hand for his 2nd album.
How's THIS for an album:

1. Good Timin'
2. It's Not Too Late
3. Santa Ana Winds
4. Angel Come Home
5. Full Sail
6. Lady Lynda
7. Love Surrounds Me (less produced version, more akin to the original Bamboo cut)

8. Lookin' Down The Coast
9. Sumahara
10. Baby Blue
11. California Feelin'
12. Goin' South
13. (I Found Myself In A) Wild Situation
14. Shortenin' Bread

(& Bruce can stick his karaoke disco pap up his grinning arse...)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx