gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681070 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 09:20:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416905 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

Why haven't the full setlist shows in Sacramento that was recorded for the BB Concert album been released on a rarities compilation yet?
Heck, I'd like to hear the songs that were supposed to have been "doctored" before they were even touched....and really, all I know of is Fun Fun Fun's doctored (instrumentally, guitar work) and I get Around (vocal work---I THINK).  Anyone know any others that were worked on?

Songs I'm surprised that haven't been released yet from that concert, unless somebody knows something I don't about:
Little Honda
Hushabye (released on the GV boxed set?)
Don't Back Down
Surfer Girl (GV Box set?)
Be True To Your School (Boxsxet?)

Also:
Don't Worry Baby (Concert/London two-fer)
Surfin' USA (GV box set)

Interestingly, vocal overdubs were worked on for the live tracks of Fun x 3, I Get Around, TLOLFP, Hawaii & JBG. It always bugged me that they didn't use the concert versions of IGA & Fun x 3 which are played enthusiastically and at a rapid clip!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:50:53 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1301 on: April 09, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »

On BWPS Surf's Up, is it Brian doing the falsetto "a children's song", or Jeffrey Foskett? I've heard people say both.
To my ears, it's Brian doing it very well...maybe a bit of support from Jeff but it has (to me anyway), a Wilsonian tinge to it.

I think it's Darian. Not listened for a while, I'll check, but I know the harmony stack in the "Columnated ruins domino" of this version of "SU" goes, from the top down, Darian-Jeff-Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »

On BWPS Surf's Up, is it Brian doing the falsetto "a children's song", or Jeffrey Foskett? I've heard people say both.

It doesn't sound like anyone's backing up Brian during that part. And it sounds a lot like his Imagination era falsetto.
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 10, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »

So what was the deal with The Beach Boys non-appearance (apart from Bruce) on Pink Floyd's The Wall? Depending on who you ask, either Mike or Al stopped it because they didn't like the subject matter, or Roger Waters changed his mind about hiring them, or they just couldn't get it together.
So what actually happened?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1304 on: April 10, 2011, 01:56:16 AM »

So what was the deal with The Beach Boys non-appearance (apart from Bruce) on Pink Floyd's The Wall? Depending on who you ask, either Mike or Al stopped it because they didn't like the subject matter, or Roger Waters changed his mind about hiring them, or they just couldn't get it together.

Shows & sessions 1979, footnote #9.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:46 AM »

Where'd you hear about Mike/Al's opinion on this?
or did you actually ask the,?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: April 10, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »

To my ears, it's Brian doing it very well...maybe a bit of support from Jeff but it has (to me anyway), a Wilsonian tinge to it.

I think it's Darian. Not listened for a while, I'll check, but I know the harmony stack in the "Columnated ruins domino" of this version of "SU" goes, from the top down, Darian-Jeff-Brian.

That'll teach me to listen to it first... yes, that's Brian (sorry): having said that, I think that vocal's comped: very abrupt gear change.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 11, 2011, 05:36:11 AM »

On the BWPS DVD live version I think Brian is being heavily supported however...?

Interesting that Darian is top of the 'Columnated...' stack, never realised he had such range...would be interesting to hear him take the top part elsewhere too.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 11, 2011, 07:22:53 AM »

This is kind of a fantasy Beach Boy/Parrelelel universe but when I was reading in the Lost Beach Boy book (which is fantastic, I'm half-way through!), it was discussing about how Murry liked to sabotage Dave and the Marksmen singles at the radio stations along with Brian's productions (aka Pet Projects) outside of the Beach Boys....I was just thinking about, what if Brian didn't get to use these other artists like Gary Usher, American Spring, The Honeys, Sharon Marie, etc....but yet he had all these songs laying around, wouldn't it have been great to add some of those songs to the BB catalog?

I could see Run Around Lover & She Rides with Me being great hits for the guys...The production for Endless Sleep would have fit well with the likes of the Today! album. Of course, the ultimate gold mine would be Guess I'm Dumb on Today or Summer Days.  After the Game would also have been a great instrumental for Little Deuce Coupe album or All Summer Long. Pamela Jean woulda been a great single for the guys. I could see Number One being a great ballad around Surfin' Safari through Surfer Girl albums. That's the Way I feel would have been great on Shut Down vol. 2 or All Summer Long. (whenever it was recorded)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »

I saw a double CATP/Pet Sounds today for the princely sum of £10. Should I have bought it, considering I already own them on nondescript Reprise & 180g reissue respectively already?

Should I buy it tomorrow?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1310 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »

I saw a double CATP/Pet Sounds today for the princely sum of £10. Should I have bought it, considering I already own them on nondescript Reprise & 180g reissue respectively already?

Should I buy it tomorrow?  Grin

That pressing of Pet Sounds is widely held to be the best one there is.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »

I know, but HOW good? Like, the 180g one I have is kinda ropey, actually - it wobbles like Brian in 1975. My hearts saying yes but my wallets saying no....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 11, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »

On the Hoffman board it ranks around third.

1. DCC Vinyl
2. Capitol 1980's Green Series
3. Brother/Reprise CATP/Pet Sounds (1972)
4. Brother/Reprise Pet Sounds Reissue (1974)

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: April 11, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

1. DCC Vinyl

Given the source of that ranking, I think we can safely disregard #1.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »

I thought as much. Really not sure I can afford it. If any more solvent Smilers want one, it's in Across The Tracks in Brighton  Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 11, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »

1. DCC Vinyl

Given the source of that ranking, I think we can safely disregard #1.
I can't say for sure about the DCC Vinyl, as I've never heard it, but to my ears the DCC CD is the best sounding of all the CD releases. 

EDIT: In mono, that is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:01:59 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »

I thought as much. Really not sure I can afford it. If any more solvent Smilers want one, it's in Across The Tracks in Brighton  Grin

Not anymore, it's in my house  Grin

Was this only pressed in '72, or were ethey producing these for years?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:04:11 AM by hypehat » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »

I'm not sure how long it was pressed, at least here in the U.S., but the single disc (Brown) Pet Sounds reissue was released in 1974, so I doubt the double LP was printed too many times past that point.

So, how's it sound? Worth it?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »

I won't know til next week, when I am back at my flat - For now it  is purely visual pleasure  LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 12, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »

What is the best source for Pet Sounds on cd? I have a version from around 1990, I believe, with "Dr." Landy's name all over it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: April 13, 2011, 04:05:02 AM »

To buy, it is the Audio Fidelity release. Another Hoffman mastering done in HDCD. Sounds better than any Capitol release on CD. The best sounding is the DCC CD, but is long out of print and is expensive to buy second hand.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: April 14, 2011, 06:36:45 PM »

I don't know whether this has been posted before, I can't see it anywhere, (I apologize in advance if it has)
Any way looking at BWPS and Sgt pepper-With a little help from my friends I can't help but point out one thing that has been bugging me,
the transition from Sgt Pep to With a little help, the way it blends in making it sound as if it was one song.
I think its safe to say that the original Smile would have ended up like the 2004 ver, with the songs blending into each other (correct me if I'm wrong), if this is the case then it is obvious Paul copied the idea from Brian.
My question is, had the blending of songs together ever been done before Brian ?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1322 on: April 15, 2011, 12:24:37 AM »

I don't know whether this has been posted before, I can't see it anywhere, (I apologize in advance if it has)
Any way looking at BWPS and Sgt pepper-With a little help from my friends I can't help but point out one thing that has been bugging me,
the transition from Sgt Pep to With a little help, the way it blends in making it sound as if it was one song.
I think its safe to say that the original Smile would have ended up like the 2004 ver, with the songs blending into each other (correct me if I'm wrong), if this is the case then it is obvious Paul copied the idea from Brian.
My question is, had the blending of songs together ever been done before Brian ?

I spoke with VDP about this many years back, and he was adamant that the songs were going to be banded separately, no segues except internally in one track.

As for any other 'blending' in the pre-Smile rock world... can't think of one right now, but of course classical composers had been doing just that for centuries.

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, thats very interesting, I was so sure that the original would've have the song blends. So it was a decision that was made in 2004?
I have to say another album that does it nicely is Bookends but that was in 68.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: April 15, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, thats very interesting, I was so sure that the original would've have the song blends. So it was a decision that was made in 2004?
I have to say another album that does it nicely is Bookends but that was in 68.

I was thinking The Who Sell Out but again, too late.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx