gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:28:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if The Beach Boys were to have broke up around the Late 70s?  (Read 26590 times)
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »

There has been so much going on with the whole Mike Love/Brian Wilson controversy for a while now, I've been wondering since I do recall back in the late 70's the band was thinking of breaking up, What would've it been like if the band did in-fact break up??
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

All roads lead to Kokomo.
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

All roads lead to Kokomo.

Well for one we wouldn't have that song lol
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »

Al would have been surprised. Brian would have been bummed.Bruce would not have said a word. Mike would have got the blame then have had to put out a statement through the LA times.

Sound familiar?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

Maybe he would've found the moral courage to salute NASCAR a bit earlier.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »

Maybe he would've been paid the cash to salute NASCAR a bit earlier.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »

Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo, tho. It would've happened regardless.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »

Dennis might still be alive.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »

They did break up in 1977 and the group was never really the same after.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »

The surviving members would have reunited for a 50th anniversary tour of the USA, Europe, Australia and Japan during 2011

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »

Brian,dennis and Carl would have went solo,Carl may have produced other bands during the 80's,Brian would end up being a hermit with only releasing solo albums here and there  Mike would have joined Jan And Dean,Al would have vanished as far as music goes,the same with David Marks,Dennis still would have died but may have released Bamboo, Bruce would have continued writing songs and producing other people. Zeppo Wilson would have been earning money by joining in other big acts under various names.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »

I think it would have been a good thing. Recent events excepted, pretty much everything done under The Beach Boys name since 1980 or so has been unconfined sh*te. That's what...62% of their career? Even if you don't think everything post LA has been rubbish, it's not exactly reputation forming material.

Would Dennis be alive? If they'd split up he could have done the proposed POB tour... I get a real sense that a lot of what finished him off was artistic frustration. Could be wrong of course, but imagine coming up with something like 'Morning Christmas' in the context of the rest of the seventies Christmas album, but still being seen as the 'no talent drugged out parasite' of the group. Utter insanity.

Don't think it would have effected Mike all that much...he could have put together the endless summer Beach Band with a revolving cast of ex Trashmen, Surfari's, Jan/Dean etc. Could have been ace!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:00:16 AM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Would Dennis be alive? If they'd split up he could have done the proposed POB tour... I get a real sense that a lot of what finished him off was artistic frustration. Could be wrong of course, but imagine coming up with something like 'Morning Christmas' in the context of the rest of the seventies Christmas album, but still being seen as the 'no talent drugged out parasite' of the group. Utter insanity.

I can`t really believe that`s true.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:53 AM »

SIP (1980)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »

The BBs died in 1966.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 06:24:05 AM »

I can`t really believe that`s true.

There's only speculation contained in my post. By definition it can't be true or otherwise. Wink
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »

do you guys like to fantasize a lot? come oooon, back to reality *snaps fingers* stop dreaming. screw 'whatifs'!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:24 AM »

There would have been about six different kinds of "Beach Boys Family and Friends" bands--until the "ultimate reunion".
MBE
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »

I think it would have been a good thing. Recent events excepted, pretty much everything done under The Beach Boys name since 1980 or so has been unconfined sh*te. That's what...62% of their career? Even if you don't think everything post LA has been rubbish, it's not exactly reputation forming material.

Don't think it would have effected Mike all that much...he could have put together the endless summer Beach Band with a revolving cast of ex Trashmen, Surfari's, Jan/Dean etc. Could have been ace!
It is hard to know, but I do agree that Dennis was put in a bad position that probably helped tip him over.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:15 AM »

We'd have no "Some of Your Love" and "Goin' On", and that would be a big loss.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:57 AM »

^You like Sunshine? About time that track gets some lovin'! I personally can't stand it, but it's nice to know it's someone likes it. I mean, it's a Beach Boys song. It deserves it.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

I also love "Sunshine." So happy and fun. It's got teh hooks
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »

We wouldn't have my much loved "Getcha Back". I like to think that they disband in 1976 and Dennis is able to conduct his POB tour, culminating in a string of albums until his 1986 hit single Sledgehammer which wins nine MTV awards and hits number 1 in America.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:14:24 PM by Youre Under Arrest » Logged

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 02:03:35 AM »

We wouldn't have my much loved "Getcha Back". I like to think that they disband in 1976 and Dennis is able to conduct his POB tour, culminating in a string of albums until his 1986 hit single Sledgehammer which wins nine MTV awards and hits number 1 in America.

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:02 AM »

There would be no Foskett.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx