gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:09:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1411832 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »

I have another question about a SMiLE recording. Who does the "vocalizing"(I'm not quite sure what to call it)? I've always assumed it was Brian. But sometimes when I listen carefully to it it can kind of sound like Mike's voice.

Which SMiLE recording are you referring to? All of the Beach Boys are featured on the SMiLE sessions to some extent.

EDIT: Okay, did you mean to ask "who does the vocal arranging on the SMiLE sessions?" That would be Brian; however it doesn't rule out the possibility that other members of the band would make suggestions during the recording process.

Damn, I forgot to put in the song title.  Grin What I meant to say is "Who does the vocalizing on I Love To Say Dada?". The "wah wah who wah" bit.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SG7
« Reply #1176 on: February 15, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

I'm confused about what the heck Let Him Run Wild is about. Is the narrator of the song trying to get the girl?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 15, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »

I'm confused about what the heck Let Him Run Wild is about. Is the narrator of the song trying to get the girl?

He's watching a relationship where the dude plays girls a lot.  He wants to save the girl from that. 
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 15, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »

There's a (somewhat prevelant but nowhere near conclusive) theory that it's about Murry, Brian talking to his mom about Murry's extramarital affairs.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 15, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »

Here's a question for one of the "experts". Do any professionally recorded live versions of Don't Go Near The Water exist? I was just listening to Princeton 1971, and that song really stood out in the show in my opinion.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »

I have another question about a SMiLE recording. Who does the "vocalizing"(I'm not quite sure what to call it)? I've always assumed it was Brian. But sometimes when I listen carefully to it it can kind of sound like Mike's voice.

Which SMiLE recording are you referring to? All of the Beach Boys are featured on the SMiLE sessions to some extent.

EDIT: Okay, did you mean to ask "who does the vocal arranging on the SMiLE sessions?" That would be Brian; however it doesn't rule out the possibility that other members of the band would make suggestions during the recording process.

Damn, I forgot to put in the song title.  Grin What I meant to say is "Who does the vocalizing on I Love To Say Dada?". The "wah wah who wah" bit.

Always sounded like Mike to me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »

What the heck are the ringing in the background of the chorus? "Rah rah rah loo sisper an fly" is what it sounds like to me.  Huh Razz
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 16, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »

What the heck are the ringing in the background of the chorus? "Rah rah rah loo sisper an fly" is what it sounds like to me.  Huh Razz

One, I think this files under Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread

Two, if I'm thinking correctly and if we're talking about the album version, I believe the guys are singing "rah rah rah swiss boom bah"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »

Always sounded like "rah rah rah rah siss boom bah" to me, pretty much like punkinhead said.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

What the heck are the ringing in the background of the chorus? "Rah rah rah loo sisper an fly" is what it sounds like to me.   Huh Razz
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 16, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »

Quite right. The thread title should have made that obvious.  LOL Shocked
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 16, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »

Yes, it's "sis boom bah", apparently a pretty common cheer back in the day. It's used in this classic Bugs Bunny clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOuDjdN2csw

Don't you love the internet? You can find pretty much anything...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 16, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »

Yes, it's "sis boom bah", apparently a pretty common cheer back in the day. It's used in this classic Bugs Bunny clip:

"Bugs Bunny! Bugs Bunny! RAH RAH RAH!"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »

Who sang "If It Can't Be You" on Sea of Tunes 4?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »

Thank you. I had a friend who was insisting it had something to do with "semper fi" and I was thinking "in a beach boys song? I don't think so."

Gracias. Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »

Wasn't Steve Korthof a Marine? :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 16, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »

Always sounded like Mike to me.

Funny, I've always heard it as Brian.  Back in the day he could do a killer bass vocal just as well as Mike.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »

this question requires to think back to recordings (of released and unreleased variety).

Is there such a tune that Brian has recorded in each era of his voice stages?
Basically, is there a song that at one time had his 60s voice and then he re-recorded it or re-did it with his 70s gruff voice, then the 80s nasal voice from 1980 on to Sweet Insanity?

I'm just wondering if Brian could take some old tapes and mix his voice (as of now) and record it with his voices from the past? is that possible?

Does that make sense?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »

I wanna say the Sherri She Needs Me might be the only one I can think of.

If only there was some vocals from the original 65' cut of this song, we might have seen 3 very different vocals of the same song...60s falsetto, 70s gruff, and Brian's 88 voice (with Terri She Needs Me; we won't bother the fact that it's a different name, I'm just glad it prolly had the same lyrics as opposed to She Says that She Needs Me)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:37:04 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »

also, are there any leftover tracks with Denny or Carl vocals that could be re-recorded with the rest of the surving Beach Boys? (much like Free As a Bird/Real Love)

I know Don't Fight the Sea qualifies and is already released.
You're Still a Mystery?

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:45:01 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »

Anybody know the reasoning/story behind Brian singing the beginning fragment to Heroes and Villains during the "coke/hamburger sessions"?

Also, what studio/musicians were used to record some of those songs? I know the first half is just piano demos, with Brian and maybe Dennis...but what about Stevie, Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love, Be My Baby, Night Bloomin' Jasmine (percussion/drums), River Deep Mountain High, My Solution (instrumental), and Shortenin' Bread (instrumental)?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »

You think Mike, Al, Bruce and Brian would feel comfortable adding backing vocals to old/unfinished songs with Carl or Dennis on lead vocal?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »

BTW, I remember about a month or two ago we were discussing the Bruce Johnston Story and I think I said I had a 2 disc version and everyone else said they had a 3 or 4 discs set.
anyways, i found the tracklisting to the one I have (thanks to  www.BeachBoys.com)

The Bruce Johnston Story : Part One

1. Take This Pearl (Johnston) Bruce & Jerry 1959
2. I Saw Her First (Johnston/ Cooper) Bruce & Jerry 1959
3. LSD-25 (Weaver) The Gamblers 1960 - Bruce on keyboards
4. Soupy Shuffle Stomp (Johnston/Emrich) 1962
5. Surfer’s Delight (Johnston) 1963
6. The Surfer Stomp (Johnston/Hartnett) 1963
7. Gee But I’m Lonesome (Johnston) 1963
8. Summertime (Gershwin/Gershwin/Dubose) 1963 - PJ Party outtake
9. What’d I Say (Charles) 1963
10. Mazatlan (Johnston) 1962 - inc. session intro
11. Surfin’ Safari (Wilson/Love) The Hot Doggers 1963
12. The Hamptons (Emrich) 1963
13. Surfin’ Round The World (Johnston/Melcher) 1963
14. Makaha At Midnight (Johnston) 1963
15. Hey Little Cobra (Connors/Connors) The Rip Chords 1963
16. Beach Girl (Melcher/Johnston) The Rip Chords 1964
17. Little Ford Ragtop (Douglas) The Vettes 1964
18. Devil Driver (Douglas/Weiss) The Vettes 1964
19. 4.56 Stingray (Douglas) The Vettes 1964
20. In My ’40 Ford (Johnston) The Kustom Kings 1964
21. Beach Walkin’ (Douglas) The Catalinas 1964 - Bruce on keyboards
22. Summer Means Fun (Sloan/Barri) Bruce & Terry 1964
23. I Love You Model ‘T’ (Melcher/Johnston) Bruce & Terry 1963
24. Four Strong Winds (Tyson) Bruce & Terry 1965
25. Don’t Run Away (Johnston/Love) Bruce & Terry 1966
26. Roger’s Reef (Melcher/Johnston) The Rogues 1964
27. Skateboard (Johnston) The Sidewalk Surfers 1965
28. Fun Last Summer (Johnston) The Sidewalk Surfers 1965
29. Here We Go (Surfer Boys) (Johnston) Bob Sled & The Toboggans 1966
30. Sea And Ski (Johnston/Silvers) Bob Sled & The Toboggans 1966

The Bruce Johnston Story : Part Two

1. With A Little Help From My Friends (Lennon/McCartney) The Beach Boys 1967
2. Tears In The Morning (alternate mix) (Johnston) The Beach Boys 1970
3. Deirdre (Johnston/Wilson) The Beach Boys 1970
4. Your Song (live) (John/Taupin) The Beach Boys 1971
5. Radio Veronica Jingle Sessions : 15 December 1970
6. I Write The Songs (live) (Johnston) 1974 - Jack Jones TV Show
7. I Write The Songs (Johnston) featuring David Cassidy 1975 (produced by Bruce)
8. Don’t Worry Baby (Wilson/Christian) California Music 1974
9. Ten Years Harmony (Johnston) California Music 1974
10. Brand New Old Friends (Johnston) California Music featuring Curt Boettcher 1976
11. Disney Girls (1975) (Johnston) with Papa Doo Ron Ron 1975
12. London’s A Lonely Town (Andreolli/Poncia) featuring Dave Edmunds 1975 (produced by Bruce)
13. Rendezvous (Johnston/Hudson) 1977
14. Rock And Roll Survivor (Johnston) 1977
15. If There Were Time (Johnston) 1978
16. Let’s Visit Heaven Tonight (Johnston) 1978
17. Sealed With A Kiss (Hyland) The Rip Chords 1984
18. She Believes In Love Again (alternate version) (Johnston) The Beach Boys 1985
19. Slow Summer Dancin’ (One Summer Night) (Johnston/Webb) The Beach Boys 1992
20. Please Let Me Wonder (Wilson/Love) with Mike Love & The Kings Singers 1998
21. Symphonic Sounds (Overture/Disney Girls) (Various/Johnston) 1998

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »

You ought to get him singing Disney Girls on Whistle Test - great performance.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »

You ought to get him singing Disney Girls on Whistle Test - great performance.

Sure, just let the person know who put it together.  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx