gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 06:53:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Rebel and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1415759 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: February 13, 2011, 01:41:10 AM »

What was the very first Beach Boys bootleg?

The X version of the Candix 45
That's note quite a bootleg. That would be a pirate. Or Counterfeit. I always confuse the two.

It's neither - it's a legitimate pressing, legitimate release... and I would expect most folk here to know that.

First known BB boot would be the Princeton 1971 gig, pressed up as either Resurfin' USA (the original), California Surfin' Music or Live At Madison Square Garden, November 1972. First I heard of it was in 1976.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:45:47 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 13, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

There exists a SMiLE version of Vega-Tables where different verses are being sung simultaneously. What's the story behind this? It doesn't exactly sound like it was just an overdubbed double tracking error. Was it one of Brian's "humor experiments"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »

I just noticed today when listening to County Fair really closely on the headphones that the organ part is playing Over the Waves/Carnival...is it just me or has that been known/mentioned a long time ago?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »

I know a couple of different times where Carl or Dennis are drunk at a concert and it affects their performance...but is there any other evidence of the guys being on other substances during concerts, through audio/stories/video?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:08:44 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 13, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »

I've always wondered how the Over The Waves/Carnival title came to be. I believe the real name is "The Lovliest Time of The Year", or something like that.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: February 13, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »

I've always wondered how the Over The Waves/Carnival title came to be. I believe the real name is "The Lovliest Time of The Year", or something like that.

Yeah, I've heard it as that...I meant to say that but forgot it...we're all prolly just referencing what we see on the 'Landlocked line-up'

~post of the century~
-Mikie

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 14, 2011, 12:48:27 AM »

I know a couple of different times where Carl or Dennis are drunk at a concert and it affects their performance...but is there any other evidence of the guys being on other substances during concerts, through audio/stories/video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

I'm pretty sure that's not beer causing Brian to act like that....

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: February 14, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »

Allegedly, three-fifths of the band were tripping at one of the 1967 Hawaii shows.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:21 AM »

When Dennis is the most together Wilson brother on stage, you know you're looking at a band in deep, deep sh*t.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 14, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »

On a slightly unrelated note, I have always wondered if there is more footage from that show that Roller Skating Child comes from.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 14, 2011, 03:22:24 AM »

What do you think he's on?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:54 AM »

Columbia's finest is my guess.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 14, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »

Too many espressos?

Someone should make a looped video of Brian's gyrations and set it to HCTN.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 14, 2011, 06:43:49 AM »

Too many espressos?

Someone should make a looped video of Brian's gyrations and set it to HCTN.

I'm assuming you're referencing the disco version?
I think it should be put to Just Say No, that'd be more appropriate

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 14, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »

I think it's "been" posted that this video isn't really "for" Rolling Skating Child. Is there "some" expert opinion, as to whether they're "really" performing the song in "this" video?   perhaps someone who "was" actually at this "show", as I wasn't.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 14, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »

i've seen that lots of singers can keep it together when they're drunk.  carl was definitely not one of them.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »

There exists a SMiLE version of Vega-Tables where different verses are being sung simultaneously. What's the story behind this? It doesn't exactly sound like it was just an overdubbed double tracking error. Was it one of Brian's "humor experiments"?

Since Brian was working in modular form during the SMiLE sessions, I believe he intended to use the exact same backing track section for each verse. Therefore, on the multi-track tape already containing the backing track, he recorded the vocal for one verse on one track and the vocal for another verse on a separate track. His intention would be to mix the first verse vocal with the backing track section to another tape, then go back and mix the second verse vocal with the same backing track section. This new mix tape would then be edited together to form the master. The advantage is that the same backing track section could be used twice without having to dub it down again and lose a generation.

The bootleg you're hearing simply copied the sessions from the multi-track so both verses are heard simultaneously.
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »

I think it's "been" posted that this video isn't really "for" Rolling Skating Child. Is there "some" expert opinion, as to whether they're "really" performing the song in "this" video?   perhaps someone who "was" actually at this "show", as I wasn't.

Certainly not an expert opinion here, but it appears to me that they aren't actually performing RSC in this clip. I can't tell if it's Carl or Al singing the "round and round and round she goes" part, but at 0:14 seconds, Al leans back from the mic and isn't singing. At the same time, Carl is focused on playing guitar and doesn't have his head up to the mic, so that would exhibit A in the case of the erroneous sync. Exhibit B would be at 0:34 as Mike's singing "so many guys want a girl like mine". It looks like he's not singing in the video as we hear the word "mine", but even if he were, wouldn't that last word be a little less audible since he kind of drops the mic and looks to his left?

Ok, perhaps it's not an open and shut case. The quality of the footage makes it hard to tell exactly what's going on, but those are my observations. Maybe someone else can provide more conclusive evidence, one way or the other...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:02:44 AM by Bubblegum » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 14, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Regardless of what song it is, I'd say Brian is in a world of his own at the time and his balance is a little too good to be drunk.

Sure is nice to see him dance though.  Grin

No mas, por favor.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 14, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »

Since Brian was working in modular form during the SMiLE sessions, I believe he intended to use the exact same backing track section for each verse. Therefore, on the multi-track tape already containing the backing track, he recorded the vocal for one verse on one track and the vocal for another verse on a separate track. His intention would be to mix the first verse vocal with the backing track section to another tape, then go back and mix the second verse vocal with the same backing track section. This new mix tape would then be edited together to form the master. The advantage is that the same backing track section could be used twice without having to dub it down again and lose a generation.

The bootleg you're hearing simply copied the sessions from the multi-track so both verses are heard simultaneously.
Thanks for the explanaition.  Smiley Even though some of it went over my head. That's why I usually try to refrain from commenting on the technical aspects of recordings.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »

I have another question about a SMiLE recording. Who does the "vocalizing"(I'm not quite sure what to call it)? I've always assumed it was Brian. But sometimes when I listen carefully to it it can kind of sound like Mike's voice.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 15, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

I've been reading The Lost Beach Boy, I bought it a long time ago and somehow lost it in my house, but found it a little while ago....anyways, the first chapter concludes how good of a session guitarist David is, and I'm wondering, why didn't Brian ever have him in the studio for albums? or even on as a tour-musician in the late 60s or 70s? I know he came on stage for guest appearences occasionally, but I would feel obligated, as Brian or more likely Carl or Denny, to owe something back to David from what their father did to him and give him a good paying position in the studio and/or on the road.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »

I have another question about a SMiLE recording. Who does the "vocalizing"(I'm not quite sure what to call it)? I've always assumed it was Brian. But sometimes when I listen carefully to it it can kind of sound like Mike's voice.

Which SMiLE recording are you referring to? All of the Beach Boys are featured on the SMiLE sessions to some extent.

EDIT: Okay, did you mean to ask "who does the vocal arranging on the SMiLE sessions?" That would be Brian; however it doesn't rule out the possibility that other members of the band would make suggestions during the recording process.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:37:36 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 15, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »

I've been reading The Lost Beach Boy, I bought it a long time ago and somehow lost it in my house, but found it a little while ago....anyways, the first chapter concludes how good of a session guitarist David is, and I'm wondering, why didn't Brian ever have him in the studio for albums? or even on as a tour-musician in the late 60s or 70s? I know he came on stage for guest appearences occasionally, but I would feel obligated, as Brian or more likely Carl or Denny, to owe something back to David from what their father did to him and give him a good paying position in the studio and/or on the road.
Relationships evolve in a certain way, personal problems create barriers, baggage from the past festers, people want to maintain their independence etc... BTW if you've read more of the book you've learned that the BB's did ask David to rejoin during the Surf's Up era, he declined, later Brian does bring David into the studio on solo a session, but it doesn't go so well. The situation between David and the Wilsons is rooted in many things that are pointed out along the way in the book. Its complex, not black and white, but hopefully you'll learn enough to form a reasonable conclusion as to why some of the things you listed above didn't or couldn't happen.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »

Relationships evolve in a certain way, personal problems create barriers, baggage from the past festers, people want to maintain their independence etc... BTW if you've read more of the book you've learned that the BB's did ask David to rejoin during the Surf's Up era, he declined, later Brian does bring David into the studio on solo a session, but it doesn't go so well. The situation between David and the Wilsons is rooted in many things that are pointed out along the way in the book. Its complex, not black and white, but hopefully you'll learn enough to form a reasonable conclusion as to why some of the things you listed above didn't or couldn't happen.

Alright! I can't wait to get there! Sounds like a fun read.
I thought I'd heard that about David during the Surf's Up era, but I thought he was just visiting...one of Jack Rieley's ideas?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx