gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:29:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406539 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 08, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »

On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_pop#1960s_peak, there's a part that discusses the origins of Baroque pop in which is says Bacharach experiments with different instruments and Spector uses his wall of sound.

Then it goes on and says: "In 1963 Brian Wilson probably responded to this by using string arrangements on songs on the Beach Boys' Surfer Girl album."

My question is, was the first song Brian used string arrangements on the Surfer Moon?  I was thinking it was, and I regard that song very high on early BB/BW tunes...it got me thinking about how the song Surfer Girl doesn't have any string arrangements, isn't that odd?  I know In My Room and Catch a Wave have a harp part, would that be considered a "string arrangement/section?" Are there any other songs on Surfer Moon or that era with string arrangements? Isn't there a BW-related artist that recorded or did some other form of Surfer Moon? B-side to Humpty Dumpty?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 08, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »

On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_pop#1960s_peak, there's a part that discusses the origins of Baroque pop in which is says Bacharach experiments with different instruments and Spector uses his wall of sound.

Then it goes on and says: "In 1963 Brian Wilson probably responded to this by using string arrangements on songs on the Beach Boys' Surfer Girl album."

My question is, was the first song Brian used string arrangements on the Surfer Moon?  I was thinking it was, and I regard that song very high on early BB/BW tunes...it got me thinking about how the song Surfer Girl doesn't have any string arrangements, isn't that odd?  I know In My Room and Catch a Wave have a harp part, would that be considered a "string arrangement/section?" Are there any other songs on Surfer Moon or that era with string arrangements? Isn't there a BW-related artist that recorded or did some other form of Surfer Moon? B-side to Humpty Dumpty?

Brian Wilson first recorded 'Surfer Moon' with Bob and Sheri and that became the b-side to Humpty Dumpty.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: February 08, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »

The track for the BB version of "Surfer Moon" wasn't originally recorded with them in mind, it seems. An upcoming issue of ESQ (not the imminent Sunflower special) will very likely expand on this.

As for strings. Brian also used them on the single he produced for Gary Usher in 1964.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:58:05 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »

Here's an insignificant question: What's the deal with the title "Smiley Smile"?  Was that Brian's idea?  Obviously it's a take off on Smile but it seems like such a silly idea (not knocking the album, which I love).

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1104 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

I always thought of it as a stripped down, maybe "friendlier or happier" version of Smile.  There is a fair amount of laughing / giggling going on in some of the cuts:  Vegetables, Fall Breaks, She's Goin' Bald, Little Pad, Wind Chimes, Wonderful.  I think all of those cuts have a bit of silliness to them.  I don't know, just my own thoughts.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 09, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »

i've always loved (whether intentional or not) that the cover pretty much exactly says what smiley smile is to smile.  That building in smiley smile is the same building on the smile cover.  cept smile is set on fire and the smoke that comes from it is smiley smile.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 09, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »

If possible, not that I think they'd do it, would there be enough material to make a Pet Projects Vol. 2?

I was thinkin it could include tracks from the American Spring era, basically any that he was heavily involved with.

The rest of the tracks I'll throw out there, let me know if they're not BW original productions:

Bob and Sheri's Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty
The Castells' I Do
The Honeys' In the Still of the Night
Bob and Bobby's Twelve-O-Four/Baby What You Want Me to Do
The Noaens' Beach Girl
Ron Wilson's I'll Keep on Loving You/As Tears Go By
Basil Swift and the Seegrams' Farmer's Daughter
Redwood's Time to get Alone
Wilson Phillips' Til I Die, Everything I Need, and In My Room
Honeys'/American Spring Come To Me
California Music's Why Do Fools Fall in Love

While we're at it, for guest vocalist sake and poops/giggles, throw Johnny Rivers' Help Me Rhonda, The Timers' No Go Showboat, and Jan and Dean's Don't Ya Just Know It on there.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

i've always loved (whether intentional or not) that the cover pretty much exactly says what smiley smile is to smile.  That building in smiley smile is the same building on the smile cover.  cept smile is set on fire and the smoke that comes from it is smiley smile.

What Smile cover are you speaking of?  The one I see is  a shop window, not a house.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 09, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

What Smile cover are you speaking of?  The one I see is  a shop window, not a house.

It is a house - but, if you look closely: the windows on the SmileySmile house are the exact same as the shop-windows on the SMiLE cover...The smiling-lips on the house were a nice addition too  Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 09, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »

It is a house - but, if you look closely: the windows on the SmileySmile house are the exact same as the shop-windows on the SMiLE cover...The smiling-lips on the house were a nice addition too  Grin

If you want to see the shop windows on the house, good for you. They're similar; but the exact same, no. Still, you're right, the inspiration was obviously from Smile!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: February 09, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »

If you want to see the shop windows on the house, good for you. They're similar; but the exact same, no. Still, you're right, the inspiration was obviously from Smile!

okay, not exact replicas, but they are shop windows that look strangely like the SMiLE windows. Granted, the Smiley house isn't made of wood siding - so I'll succumb to your argument  Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »

okay, not exact replicas, but they are shop windows that look strangely like the SMiLE windows. Granted, the Smiley house isn't made of wood siding - so I'll succumb to your argument  Grin

Wait; I wouldn't want to go out on that limb... 
the Smiley house MIGHT be made of wood siding; I can't really tell, since it's an indistinct distant shot.
The Smile shop does look like some sort of siding, but it could as easily be steel siding, couldn't it?
And the trim above the windows and doors looks, to me, a lot more like bricks placed vertically, than wood

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: February 09, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »

the Smiley house MIGHT be made of wood siding; I can't really tell, since it's an indistinct distant shot.
The Smile shop does look like some sort of siding, but it could as easily be steel siding, couldn't it?
And the trim above the windows and doors looks, to me, a lot more like bricks placed vertically, than wood

LOL

In my very humble opinion, I see a tradition adobe hut with a few modern modifications. We'll have to see if AGD know the coordinates of where this SMiLE house is located....we'll assemble an expedition team and travel there to ascertain what the exact building materials are - plus, it'd be nice to see if that smoke is really from burning SMiLE albums or if it's from something a bit stronger  Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: February 09, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »

LOL

In my very humble opinion, I see a tradition adobe hut with a few modern modifications. We'll have to see if AGD know the coordinates of where this SMiLE house is located....we'll assemble an expedition team and travel there to ascertain what the exact building materials are - plus, it'd be nice to see if that smoke is really from burning SMiLE albums or if it's from something a bit stronger  Grin

Hmm, you're losing me now: The SMILE house is a business location, somewhere, with a front stoop of tile set in concrete( shop attendants visible behind the display window curtains)
And even without the expedition: the Smiley House couldn't be burning SMiLE albums, because they hadn't made any yet!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: February 09, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »

LOL

Hmm, you're losing me now: The SMILE house is a business location, somewhere, with a front stoop of tile set in concrete( shop attendants visible behind the display window curtains)
And even without the expedition: the Smiley House couldn't be burning SMiLE albums, because they hadn't made any yet!

In my opinion, the cover is a reflection hiding out from the world.

You've got all the zoo animals outside, those are the same ones from the Pet Sounds photo shoot, Brian and the rest of the guys visited them at the zoo. 
Now the pets return the favor and come back to visit Brian.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »

i just mean the building
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 09, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »

If possible, not that I think they'd do it, would there be enough material to make a Pet Projects Vol. 2?

I was thinkin it could include tracks from the American Spring era, basically any that he was heavily involved with.

The rest of the tracks I'll throw out there, let me know if they're not BW original productions:

The Castells' I Do
The Noaens' Beach Girl

While we're at it, for guest vocalist sake and poops/giggles, throw Johnny Rivers' Help Me Rhonda, The Timers' No Go Showboat, and Jan and Dean's Don't Ya Just Know It on there.

The ones I bolded are the ones I've actually never heard before, not even on rarities.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: February 09, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »

The Castells' I Do
The Noaens' Beach Girl

The ones I bolded are the ones I've actually never heard before, not even on rarities.

They're all out there aren't they? Rather easy to find, I think. It's "NoDaens" by the way. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: February 09, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »

he rest of the tracks I'll throw out there, let me know if they're not BW original productions:

Bob and Sheri's Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty - BW prod
The Castells' I Do - BW prod
The Honeys' In the Still of the Night - Nik Venet prod
Bob and Bobby's Twelve-O-Four/Baby What You Want Me to Do - B side BW co-prod, A side no documentary evidence
The Noaens' Beach Girl
Ron Wilson's I'll Keep on Loving You/As Tears Go By - BW co-prod
Basil Swift and the Seegrams' Farmer's Daughter - BW bv, not prod
Redwood's Time to get Alone - BW prod
Wilson Phillips' Til I Die, Everything I Need, and In My Room - vocal/co-prod/vocal & piano
Honeys'/American Spring Come To Me - Murry Wilson prod
California Music's Why Do Fools Fall in Love - BW co-prod

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2011, 01:04:23 AM »

he rest of the tracks I'll throw out there, let me know if they're not BW original productions:

Bob and Sheri's Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty - BW prod
The Castells' I Do - BW prod
The Honeys' In the Still of the Night - Nik Venet prod
Bob and Bobby's Twelve-O-Four/Baby What You Want Me to Do - B side BW co-prod, A side no documentary evidence
The Noaens' Beach Girl
Ron Wilson's I'll Keep on Loving You/As Tears Go By - BW co-prod
Basil Swift and the Seegrams' Farmer's Daughter - BW bv, not prod
Redwood's Time to get Alone - BW prod
Wilson Phillips' Til I Die, Everything I Need, and In My Room - vocal/co-prod/vocal & piano
Honeys'/American Spring Come To Me - Murry Wilson prod
California Music's Why Do Fools Fall in Love - BW co-prod

Alright, so with these corrections, we could add those BW prod/co-prod to a Vol. 2

What should be added?

BTW, COME TO ME- holy crap, I LOVE that style of production, who would have thought Murry would have produced that? To quote Murry from the ABC American Family film: "Who would have thought you'd end up talented?" (Murry to Denny)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:42 AM »

The Castells' I Do
The Noaens' Beach Girl

They're all out there aren't they? Rather easy to find, I think. It's "NoDaens" by the way. 
I think I was in a hurry, oh well.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:10 AM »

The Castells' I Do
The Noaens' Beach Girl

I think I was in a hurry, oh well.

Ah danget, I forgot to add Metal Beach with Paul Schaffer.
That's one of the best pet projects   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »

LOL

You've got all the zoo animals outside, those are the same ones from the Pet Sounds photo shoot, Brian and the rest of the guys visited them at the zoo. 

I had never made that connection before about the zoo animals. I think I like the album a little bit more now  Smiley

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 10, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »

LOL

I had never made that connection before about the zoo animals. I think I like the album a little bit more now  Smiley
I'm glad to be a part of someone's revelation.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 10, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »

LOL

I'm glad to be a part of someone's revelation.

I guess I'm the only one who isn't high here;
I squinted REALLY HARD, but I still couldn't make the deer and goats? on the PS cover look like the elephant, hyena, giraffe, bluebird and toucan on the Smiley cover. 
Let me have some of what you guys are smoking!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx