gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:25:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1405858 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: February 10, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »

i've always loved (whether intentional or not) that the cover pretty much exactly says what smiley smile is to smile.  That building in smiley smile is the same building on the smile cover.  cept smile is set on fire and the smoke that comes from it is smiley smile.

What Smile cover are you speaking of?  The one I see is  a shop window, not a house.

It is a house - but, if you look closely: the windows on the SmileySmile house are the exact same as the shop-windows on the SMiLE cover...The smiling-lips on the house were a nice addition too  Grin

If you want to see the shop windows on the house, good for you. They're similar; but the exact same, no. Still, you're right, the inspiration was obviously from Smile!

okay, not exact replicas, but they are shop windows that look strangely like the SMiLE windows. Granted, the Smiley house isn't made of wood siding - so I'll succumb to your argument  Grin

Wait; I wouldn't want to go out on that limb... 
the Smiley house MIGHT be made of wood siding; I can't really tell, since it's an indistinct distant shot.
The Smile shop does look like some sort of siding, but it could as easily be steel siding, couldn't it?
And the trim above the windows and doors looks, to me, a lot more like bricks placed vertically, than wood

LOL

In my very humble opinion, I see a tradition adobe hut with a few modern modifications. We'll have to see if AGD know the coordinates of where this SMiLE house is located....we'll assemble an expedition team and travel there to ascertain what the exact building materials are - plus, it'd be nice to see if that smoke is really from burning SMiLE albums or if it's from something a bit stronger  Grin

Hmm, you're losing me now: The SMILE house is a business location, somewhere, with a front stoop of tile set in concrete( shop attendants visible behind the display window curtains)
And even without the expedition: the Smiley House couldn't be burning SMiLE albums, because they hadn't made any yet!

In my opinion, the cover is a reflection hiding out from the world.

You've got all the zoo animals outside, those are the same ones from the Pet Sounds photo shoot, Brian and the rest of the guys visited them at the zoo. 
Now the pets return the favor and come back to visit Brian.  Wink

I had never made that connection before about the zoo animals. I think I like the album a little bit more now  Smiley
I'm glad to be a part of someone's revelation.

I guess I'm the only one who isn't high here;
I squinted REALLY HARD, but I still couldn't make the deer and goats? on the PS cover look like the elephant, hyena, giraffe, bluebird and toucan on the Smiley cover. 
Let me have some of what you guys are smoking!
hadn't been smoking anything really, just trying to be creative. I used to smoke a lot a couple years ago, so maybe I was reaching back to that creative point in my life.

This sentence doesn't really make sense to me:
I squinted REALLY HARD, but I still couldn't make the deer and goats? on the PS cover look like the elephant, hyena, giraffe, bluebird and toucan on the Smiley cover.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »

"This sentence doesn't really make sense to me:" LOL

Punkinhead was referring to the (I quote) "Pet Sounds photo shoot" at the zoo - where there were giraffes, elephants, tigers, and other animals that Brian and the band saw.

It is actually a very creative notion that the Pet Sounds cover is related to Smiley Smile - they're both green in color, both have animals etc. It's something I had never even thought of. And I wasn't under the influence when I understood what he was talking about.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »

Punkinhead was referring to the (I quote) "Pet Sounds photo shoot" at the zoo - where there were giraffes, elephants, tigers, and other animals that Brian and the band saw.

It is actually a very creative notion that the Pet Sounds cover is related to Smiley Smile - they're both green in color, both have animals etc. It's something I had never even thought of. And I wasn't under the influence when I understood what he was talking about.

Oh. in that case, "never mind".

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 10, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »

Thanks...sometimes text is hard to understand, with having no tone and all that.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 11, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »

Is there any evidence of Brian or Paul commenting on each others music post 1970? Or in Paul's case, has he ever commented on Brian's music after Smile?

I feel like there's influences everywhere between the 2 of em on Paul's solo/Wings and on Brian's BB 70s stuff:

Of course the Backseat of my Car is very Beach Boys-esc (heck, I've heard a remix of it mixed with I Just Wasn't Made for These Times).
I feel like Mumbo from Wild Life is very Shortenin' Bread/Rollin' Up to Heaven-ish; the whole jam with an organ with repition kind of thing.
And the McCartney II album is very Love You influenced in my opinion.

Anyone else see anyother links?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 12, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »

So a few months ago I randomly searched for 'SMiLE Boxset' in google shopping. The first thing that popped up was a BWPS boxset - it had Brian Wilson Presents Smile (in the same font/format as on the CD) on the front - there was also a small figurine (like a hula-gal) that stood behind a plastic window on the front of the box (the hula-gal was very reminiscent of Frank Holmes' artwork). That is all I remember about it.

Lately I had been searching for it and have not found anything remotely similar (nor have I read anything to indicate it was an official release (or a bootleg for that matter)).

I'm not interested in buying it, but does this ring a bell to anyone? Was it an official release? Did it ever exist or is my memory going haywire on me?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: February 12, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »

So a few months ago I randomly searched for 'SMiLE Boxset' in google shopping. The first thing that popped up was a BWPS boxset - it had Brian Wilson Presents Smile (in the same font/format as on the CD) on the front - there was also a small figurine (like a hula-gal) that stood behind a plastic window on the front of the box (the hula-gal was very reminiscent of Frank Holmes' artwork). That is all I remember about it.

Lately I had been searching for it and have not found anything remotely similar (nor have I read anything to indicate it was an official release (or a bootleg for that matter)).

I'm not interested in buying it, but does this ring a bell to anyone? Was it an official release? Did it ever exist or is my memory going haywire on me?

Sounds like the special edition they put out - standard CD (1 in 10 signed by Brian) in a longbox that had cutouts of the booklet  illustrations in shallow windows in the box front. There was a helluva fuss because the wording led you to believe that the cutouts were 3D figures, and the original price - as I recall over £50 - certainly indicated something better than the reality, which was that the 'figures' were nothing more than die-cut cardboard flats. I believe Melinda made an arrangement with Amazon UK for disgruntled fans (and boy, were there) to return the box for a refund.

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

Sounds like the special edition they put out - standard CD (1 in 10 signed by Brian) in a longbox that had cutouts of the booklet  illustrations in shallow windows in the box front. There was a helluva fuss because the wording led you to believe that the cutouts were 3D figures, and the original price - as I recall over £50 - certainly indicated something better than the reality, which was that the 'figures' were nothing more than die-cut cardboard flats. I believe Melinda made an arrangement with Amazon UK for disgruntled fans (and boy, were there) to return the box for a refund.

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

Thanks Andrew! I really thought I was going nuts after searching the US ebay and google for this set without finding anything on it. Shame, I wish it were more of a traditional boxset with bonus tracks and such....I would've placed a bid or two.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 12, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

I vividly remember that at a certain moment Amazon made a tiny little mistake by offering these boxes for (I think) $5 or $10 a piece. When word got out amongst BB-fans (on this very board a.o.) sales must have increased drastically, as within a day the prize was corrected again...
And yes, I bought one too (no autographed one though)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: February 12, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

I vividly remember that at a certain moment Amazon made a tiny little mistake by offering these boxes for (I think) $5 or $10 a piece. When word got out amongst BB-fans (on this very board a.o.) sales must have increased drastically, as within a day the prize was corrected again...

I remember that - £2.74 !

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 12, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

Are you guys ( presuming you're guys not gals) saying that inside the box there's a CD? 
I bought one (seems like it was really inexpensive) but I don't remember what I paid; and then put it on the shelf with the other lovely objects I collect, never thinking to open such a priceless treasure! 
WOW, another Cd I'll never play... 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »

From the eBay page:

"This is an auction for a special limited edition release of Brian Wilson's "Smile" album (2004).

Not only does the CD come in special shrink-wrapped packaging (unopened) but it is presented in a box containing the unique "Puzzle Pieces" which are inset in the top front of the box cover. The inlay into which the CD box sits has slightly torn corners (this is how it arrived from the factory and is quite common among these packages) but doesn't affect the appearance too greatly.

This is a great addition to a collector's collection - especially since it the CD case itself is factory-sealed.

It's a rarity now, so if you're a collector or aspiring collector of Brian Wilson and Beach Boys material then this one is for you!"

So I'm guessing, yeah, there's possibly a CD in there.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 12, 2011, 03:15:36 PM »

Oh yeah, I see now. I didn't go to the listing( I see the yellow thing worked this time)
So I guess I'm not sitting on the only unopened copy , eh? 
BUt ther Ebay listing says it's sealed, and they're showing a picture of the inside. Must be some variety of the bait and switch deal, huh.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1138 on: February 12, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »

Oh yeah, I see now. I didn't go to the listing( I see the yellow thing worked this time)
BUt ther Ebay listing says it's sealed, and they're showing a picture of the inside. Must be some variety of the bait and switch deal, huh.

The CD inside is also sealed.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

You could have an autographed copy and you'd never know it!  Shocked

Is it worth opening to find out?

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »

You could have an autographed copy and you'd never know it!  Shocked

Is it worth opening to find out?

NAH.  that'll be the thrill for the guy at Goodwill, when I'm gone

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »

LOL

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 12, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »

Here's one:

BWPS special edition

I remember when it came out. I never had the money to buy it...I think I was a blueboarder at this time. Totally fooled me! I thought they were figurines as well, they looked like it in the picture. Mystery solved! Here I thought I was really missing something in my collection and really, I'm not at all. Now if they were cut-outs of the original 66-67 Smile (kinda like the cut outs from Sgt. Pepper), I would definatly pay good money for that.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »

What was the very first Beach Boys bootleg?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

The X version of the Candix 45

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »

That's note quite a bootleg. That would be a pirate. Or Counterfeit. I always confuse the two.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 12, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »

That's note quite a bootleg. That would be a pirate. Or Counterfeit. I always confuse the two.

OK then.  The recording of the Beach Boys from Oxnard CA, where they play a snippet of Mr. Moto

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »

I mean bootleg as in the first full length vinyl album released.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 12, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

well quit changing yer mind...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

well quit changing yer mind...
Quit being a smart ass by replying to questions you don't know the answer to.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx