gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:28:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: place for compiling any new information on a next BB album  (Read 49751 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »

Have we taken Al's recent comments apart yet?

"Jardine admits, though, that after the big 2012 tour, he’s tired of sitting around the past few months and that he should “get my butt down there [with Brian] and do some stuff with him because he’s got such an inventive mind.”

This seems to mean that he wants to come down here to LA and get in the studio with Brian, but it at once confirms that BW is working alone and not (at least yet explicitly) on a BB record.  Come on home, Al, I say.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »

"Jardine admits, though, that after the big 2012 tour, he’s tired of sitting around the past few months and that he should “get my butt down there [with Brian] and do some stuff with him because he’s got such an inventive mind.”

This seems to mean that he wants to come down here to LA and get in the studio with Brian, but it at once confirms that BW is working alone and not (at least yet explicitly) on a BB record.  Come on home, Al, I say.

I read it, in the context of the article, as Al talking about doing shows, not recording. Either way, he seems to be confirming what's seemed the obvious conclusion to me all along -- Brian's working in the studio on his own, there will be no full band tour this year and there are no concrete plans for any further ones.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »

2012 was a magical year - excellent new album, stunning C50 shows and a huge dollop of critical acclaim. Everything aligned, all the dots were joined. Anyone here really think that's going to happen again, and without the impetus of the anniversary ? Seriously ?

I'm just gonna assume The Beach Boys are your favorite group Andrew. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I gotta ask why you wouldn't want your favorite group to possibly make new music. They are still alive and doing well. If they made 12 new songs, and only one was good, it would still be worth it, because it would be great new music from my favorite group. I don't understand the point of wishing against something you love.

It's wishing against it because he loves it. I feel the same way as AGD on this.

So you'd rather them not even try? By that kinda reasoning, maybe they should have never followed up Pet Sounds, cuz gosh, what a high point to go out on. Or Bob Dylan shoulda quit after Blonde On Blonde, because you know he's gonna make Down In The Groove at some point.

I understand that they could put out a totally uninspired, embarrassing effort as a new album. But it could always be great. I'd rather have them work together with the chance of something good happening, rather then have no chance of great new Beach Boys work.

Exactly. God, to be of the mindset of, "If it can't be 10/10 brilliant, I don't give a f*** about it," I seriously can't imagine. Come on, guys.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

i'm with you runners.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

This seems to mean that he wants to come down here to LA and get in the studio with Brian, but it at once confirms that BW is working alone and not (at least yet explicitly) on a BB record.  Come on home, Al, I say.

I read it, in the context of the article, as Al talking about doing shows, not recording. Either way, he seems to be confirming what's seemed the obvious conclusion to me all along -- Brian's working in the studio on his own, there will be no full band tour this year and there are no concrete plans for any further ones.

Andrew, that's a justly sober, if enforcedly dour, stance you take, and I will try to emulate it.  The touring means much less to me than a new album, for it is in further creative work that they will write themselves further into eternity, if you can accept the paradox. Thank you for responding. I do wonder if Al is talking about shows, however, given his citation of Brian's "invention," which pertains more to recording, as it were. Perhaps he simply meant that he missed his dear friend and wanted his companionship and collaboration, broadly writ.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:34:10 PM by the professor » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2013, 01:33:20 AM »

Brian, way back when, started to work on his own in the studio and then bring in the Boys to sing. Think it remains to be seen what comes forth.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2013, 05:11:41 AM »

Andrew, that's a justly sober, if enforcedly dour, stance you take, and I will try to emulate it.  The touring means much less to me than a new album, for it is in further creative work that they will write themselves further into eternity, if you can accept the paradox. Thank you for responding.

I see what you mean. For myself, I *desperately* want whatever new Brian music I can get, but I would actually rather they tour, together or separately, than record. Their body of recorded work is already as strong as that of any of their contemporaries, and stronger than most, and there's enough there to listen to for a lifetime and not tire of it, even if they never record another note. But we only have a limited time, sadly, before seeing any of them live becomes an impossibility.
Frankly, given the choice between seeing any of the live permutations at the top of their form (so a show like the Wembley show I saw last year, or Mike, Bruce and David's 2008 UK tour, or Brian's 2002 shows) or a new album of the quality of That's Why God Made The Radio, I'd take the first any time. I'd *probably* even take a merely good show, like the Gershwin tour or the Mike/Bruce 2011 UK show, over a new album, to be honest.
As for being sober and dour, true. But it's a scientifically-established fact that most people, *even when they think they're being too pessimistic*, are actually being far too optimistic. Most things have far more ways to fail than to succeed. Given that, I find it's much better to expect the worst and be very occasionally pleasantly surprised, than to expect the best and be constantly disappointed. (Of course, that doesn't mean pessimism *in the face of the evidence*, like Phil Cohen...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:57 AM »

I'd like to think that Al heard a little sample of what Brian is working on, and it blew him away, so he wants to be a part of it.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »

I'd like to think that Al heard a little sample of what Brian is working on, and it blew him away, so he wants to be a part of it.

Little doubt that Al will spill the beans very soon, especially if he's been sworn to secrecy!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

I don't think Al needs that kind of incentive to play with Brian. All he has to do is be asked.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »

I don't think Al needs that kind of incentive to play with Brian. All he has to do is be asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9eAzb-Yuzw

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »

With certain revelations that emerged in the thread about Mike's interview, and the information shared among us all, it appears that there is no formal plan now for a next BB album. Perhaps the MIC will have a disk or a half of a disk (disc?) on reunion band material, either live and/or the unreleased work from Radio. This would be welcomed but disappointing. My dream of a new album of the 5 BB working together in the studio as loving brothers and artists has now gone away. One thinks of Scotty Moore and DJ and Elvis in '68 saying that they wanted to lock themselves away in a studio and do some "woodsheddin" to see what they could come up with.It never happened. To me this is the unkindest cut: they started something with Radio and were ripe for more creative work. . . .

By the way,listen to Radio again:

some notes:

Any place where Jeff alone is "singing out" is a clunker.
Bruce sounds fantastic and redeems Bill and Sue
The musicianship is excellent, passim, including great moments of bass harmonica, organ, etc
SV is a great rockin' LA tune--gets better with time, as does BIM (where Dave's solo is not loud enough in the mix and the drums are abrasive.)
Strange World gets better and better, especially as it announces the Suite
PCH and RTD are all rendered the more poignant by the knowledge/anticipation that there will be no more BB group harmonies.
The B section of the chorus on Shelter is a great moment for Mike.
DOTO is a love song that sounds good if you have a girlfriend.

The whole album (except for the Jeff solos) is a joy to hear start to finish in any setting--at home alone, drive in LA, in a dentist's chair, etc.

The title track is majestic, along with the suite, the crown and glory of the album.

The rest is silence.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »

I saw Jeff in concert with the Beach Boys in the early 1980's when he filled in for Carl. Carl left the band to go solo. He sounded great then and he sounds great now. Great job he did on the TWGMTR album. With his history in the band and with Brian I'm glad he was there.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »

People here really hate Foskett...I just don't get it. By in any event, I doubt we will ever get another new BB's album, as the two guys carrying on with the name don't like studio work. I suspect the next BB-related album will be by "Brian Wilson featuring Al Jardine with guest appearance by David Marks"...and I would enjoy that.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »

With certain revelations that emerged in the thread about Mike's interview, and the information shared among us all, it appears that there is no formal plan now for a next BB album. Perhaps the MIC will have a disk or a half of a disk (disc?) on reunion band material, either live and/or the unreleased work from Radio. This would be welcomed but disappointing. My dream of a new album of the 5 BB working together in the studio as loving brothers and artists has now gone away. One thinks of Scotty Moore and DJ and Elvis in '68 saying that they wanted to lock themselves away in a studio and do some "woodsheddin" to see what they could come up with.It never happened. To me this is the unkindest cut: they started something with Radio and were ripe for more creative work. . . .

some notes:

The musicianship is excellent, passim, including great moments of bass harmonica, organ, etc
SV is a great rockin' LA tune--gets better with time, as does BIM (where Dave's solo is not loud enough in the mix and the drums are abrasive.)
PCH and RTD are all rendered the more poignant by the knowledge/anticipation that there will be no more BB group harmonies.

The whole album (except for the Jeff solos) is a joy to hear start to finish in any setting--at home alone, drive in LA, in a dentist's chair, etc.

The title track is majestic, along with the suite, the crown and glory of the album.

The rest is silence.

What is RTD?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »

some notes:

The rest is silence.

What is RTD?

And where's the bass harmonica on the album?  I know the credits provided are sadly lacking, but I don't think I've heard bass hamonica on any of the tracks.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »

some notes:

The rest is silence.

What is RTD?

Remember The Days

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

some notes:

The rest is silence.

What is RTD?
Resistance Temperature Detector.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »

No such song, either on TWGMTR or in the entire BB canon. Try "Think About The Days".

Now, I really like "Could Be Good" from that Noisy Animals album. Anyone here agree ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:20:59 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »

2012 was a magical year - excellent new album, stunning C50 shows and a huge dollop of critical acclaim. Everything aligned, all the dots were joined. Anyone here really think that's going to happen again, and without the impetus of the anniversary ? Seriously ?

I'm just gonna assume The Beach Boys are your favorite group Andrew. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I gotta ask why you wouldn't want your favorite group to possibly make new music. They are still alive and doing well. If they made 12 new songs, and only one was good, it would still be worth it, because it would be great new music from my favorite group. I don't understand the point of wishing against something you love.

It's wishing against it because he loves it. I feel the same way as AGD on this.

So you'd rather them not even try? By that kinda reasoning, maybe they should have never followed up Pet Sounds, cuz gosh, what a high point to go out on. Or Bob Dylan shoulda quit after Blonde On Blonde, because you know he's gonna make Down In The Groove at some point.

I understand that they could put out a totally uninspired, embarrassing effort as a new album. But it could always be great. I'd rather have them work together with the chance of something good happening, rather then have no chance of great new Beach Boys work.

Exactly. God, to be of the mindset of, "If it can't be 10/10 brilliant, I don't give a f*** about it," I seriously can't imagine. Come on, guys.

I want posterity to remember The Beach Boys of 2012, that final shining moment in the sun where they reached back through their 50 year history and pulled it all together for one last, wonderful, bitter-sweet go round and not The Beach Boys of 201? who put out an average album and didn't tour it. Every champ who comes back always has that one fight too many. I want my boys to buck that trend and go out on top. In this respect, I'm probably a bigger fan than all of you combined because I want what's best for them, not what's best for me (new album, another tour, gimme gimme gimme, want want want).

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »

Really, what is best for them, is whatever THEY want to do. (I know, I know, we're talking the Beach Boys, here.) Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »

Truly... and, currently, that's no album, no tour. But that doesn't sit right with some posters here. It's not what they want.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »

No such song, either on TWGMTR or in the entire BB canon. Try "Think About The Days".

Now, I really like "Could Be Good" from that Noisy Animals album. Anyone here agree ?

Oh my God, what a freaking moron southbay is. Seriously.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »

some notes:

The rest is silence.

What is RTD?

Remember The Doe.

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »

I want posterity to remember The Beach Boys of 2012, that final shining moment in the sun where they reached back through their 50 year history and pulled it all together for one last, wonderful, bitter-sweet go round and not The Beach Boys of 201? who put out an average album and didn't tour it. Every champ who comes back always has that one fight too many. I want my boys to buck that trend and go out on top. In this respect, I'm probably a bigger fan than all of you combined because I want what's best for them, not what's best for me (new album, another tour, gimme gimme gimme, want want want).

Hopefully you are being sarcastic about the "biggest fan" thing but if not, wow. And it's also good to know that you're a mind reader. Since you assume the lot of us don't care what is best for them. Yes, I do admit that I'd like them to do another album. But I also only want them to do it, if they truly want to do it. If they don't, that's ok then. We've already got a lot of great Beach Boys music, and I'm sure we will hear even more when Made In California comes out.

Truly... and, currently, that's no album, no tour. But that doesn't sit right with some posters here. It's not what they want.

It seems like no album is indeed it right now. But a few months ago Brian sure wanted to do another, as did Al. And Jon Stebbins said there was an offer for one. So apparently it seems like one or more of the other members scuttled that. But in my opinion, that group member has the right to do whatever he wants.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx