gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 09:57:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: place for compiling any new information on a next BB album  (Read 49754 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

It's amusing how Mike would like a bigger role in future albums, well he didn't exactly show his writing capabilities on TWGMTR did he?

A few songs about beaches, spring vacations and Oceans. His contributions were nice considering the whole theme of the 50th Celebration was about the past and looking back but if he brings those kind of songs to anything new were looking at Summer in Paradise part 2.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »

Great idea rab, build a replica of western studios as well!!! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »

It's amusing how Mike would like a bigger role in future albums, well he didn't exactly show his writing capabilities on TWGMTR did he?

A few songs about beaches, spring vacations and Oceans. His contributions were nice considering the whole theme of the 50th Celebration was about the past and looking back but if he brings those kind of songs to anything new were looking at Summer in Paradise part 2.
Mike couldn't write a song without beach references or song titles if his life depended on it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »

Mike couldn't write a song without beach references or song titles if his life depended on it.

At this stage that seems to be the case...sadly.

This is the guy who wrote the lyrics to the "Wild Honey" album, lyrically one of the coolest records of all time , not to mention a bunch of other classics the never mention the beach.

What the hell happened

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »

At this stage that seems to be the case...sadly.

This is the guy who wrote the lyrics to the "Wild Honey" album, lyrically one of the coolest records of all time , not to mention a bunch of other classics the never mention the beach.

What the hell happened
*sigh* Endless Summer convinced him to relive past glories with "SIP" as a result.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »

Rock! LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

Rock! LOL
Disney can build it so the studio can have robotic replicas of the wrecking crew made by the imageneers. Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »

Rock! LOL
Disney can build it so the studio can have robotic replicas of the wrecking crew made by the imageneers. Grin

YES! Complete with sprinkler systems and life-alert...because you really never know when Brian is going to have the urge to light a raging fire in a garbage can Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »

Speaking of old themes, I wonder how successful TLOS would have been as a Beach Boys album. Mike may have been able to write some of the lyrics just as well such as Southern California. Van Dykes lyrics are not too abstract either. It did very well as a BW solo album, but imagine the Beach Boys singing and playing on it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »

Speaking of old themes, I wonder how successful TLOS would have been as a Beach Boys album. Mike may have been able to write some of the lyrics just as well such as Southern California. Van Dykes lyrics are not too abstract either. It did very well as a BW solo album, but imagine the Beach Boys singing and playing on it!

That plus a good mixing job, it really would have been more popular than it was! That's why I really hope this next album carries on that spirit of TLOS creativity (but adds the vocals and talents of the other Beach Boys)...it really could be a eye-opening album.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »

...I wonder how successful TLOS would have been as a Beach Boys album. Mike may have been able to write some of the lyrics just as well such as Southern California. Van Dykes lyrics are not too abstract either. It did very well as a BW solo album, but imagine the Beach Boys singing and playing on it!
I often listened to TLOS (and most latter-day BW solo stuff) with the 15 Big Ones/Love You era Beach Boys in mind.  I can totally hear (in my mind) Dennis taking a line or two... Carl adding some soul, Brian's late 70's gruff and emotional delivery, Mike's smooth bass notes and Airplane-style sensitive leads, and Al's "honkin' down the highway" vocals (actually his voice is still rock solid!!!).  It really makes me realize how good the TLOS - or other solo material actually is... Something about imaging the 70's Beach Boys performing it adds validity to me.  Huh  The 60s or early 70s Beach Boys don't fit the material, usually.

As much it works... it's also quite frustrating and sad.  It's sad that they didn't record more during the 70s.  TLOS would have been fantastic sandwiched between Love You and MIU.  And sad, because I really miss Denny and Carl.  Cry

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »

Rock! LOL

YES! Complete with sprinkler systems and life-alert...because you really never know when Brian is going to have the urge to light a raging fire in a garbage can Grin
Brian-Alert would have worked wonders in the 1970s LOL LOL LOL

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27:31 AM »

do you think Bruce and/or David didn't have one song - one song! - that couldn't rival those two. I do.

Am I right in believing you mean the exact opposite of what you've written? Actually you wrote that you think Bruce and Dave did not have one song to rival TPLOBAS. I'm sure they did.

Sorry if this seems nitpicky.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »

do you think Bruce and/or David didn't have one song - one song! - that couldn't rival those two. I do.

Am I right in believing you mean the exact opposite of what you've written? Actually you wrote that you think Bruce and Dave did not have one song to rival TPLOBAS. I'm sure they did.

Sorry if this seems nitpicky.

Just to clarify, I do believe that Bruce and David have at least one song in their cache that would rival the "worst" song(s) that Brian would bring to the table. I'm not totally familiar with their catalogue, though I do think that, after composing for 50 years, Bruce and David might have one ace in their hand that hasn't been played or developed yet. After listening to Postcards From California, I am not as optimistic about Al, but I'd still at least give his songs a listen.

I also based my opinion on "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and "Beaches In Mind". Those two are pleasant enough, but I expected more from Brian. Actually, TPLOBAS is a re-write of "South American", and not as good.

Finally, I was also promoting more of a shared effort with the songwriting (a la Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland), but I totally understand the position of using the best songs, no matter who wrote 'em. I would never sacrifice a song just to satisfy a math equation.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »

I wonder where is the most likely and reliable place to hear of any new announcements about a new album/tour/release of the live album/the MIC boxed set. Thebeachboys.com?  A random interview?  A leak?

I would know to come "here" to our board, but what's the official source we are all waiting for on all these pending matters?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »

Seems like the BB (and respective individual) Facebook is the first break news.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Has anyone heard anything. . . . . .?
The BB tend to come at us like a stray wave, so I don't know what to expect, but if there was any truth to "we will get back in the studio after the new year," then it's time someone said something. I don't care (in the sense of being disappointed) who plays what shows this year, and I celebrate any solo albums, etc., but history demands that the 5-man current BB make their own, new album together and show us what they can do. I have said this many times, many ways, as many of you have too. It's time we heard something, a leak, etc.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

Has anyone heard anything. . . . . .?
The BB tend to come at us like a stray wave, so I don't know what to expect, but if there was any truth to "we will get back in the studio after the new year," then it's time someone said something. I don't care (in the sense of being disappointed) who plays what shows this year, and I celebrate any solo albums, etc., but history demands that the 5-man current BB make their own, new album together and show us what they can do. I have said this many times, many ways, as many of you have too. It's time we heard something, a leak, etc.

We'll totally let you know.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »

I am surprised that David Beard hasn't kept us abreast since his declaration that a new album is in the works for this year. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »

I am surprised that David Beard hasn't kept us abreast since his declaration that a new album is in the works for this year. Wink

I know Mr. Beard said that there will be a new studio album in 2013, but it really just doesn't seem like they are gonna be working on something like that this year. I suppose best case scenario is Brian works up a few new tunes with his group (and maybe Al and Dave) and then Mike and Bruce come join in when they are done with touring. Add to that some of the stuff that worked on in 2012, and voila, a new studio album. However, who knows??

At this point I'd be happy to finally get Made In California. If a new studio album comes along then I'll be over the moon. But I'm not expecting anything.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »

"By agreement we came together, but the 50th anniversary was always the term to it – anno, meaning 'year'"

Mike in Uncut magazine, quoted from the thread on that.

Other than David Beard's brief statement in this thread, I've not seen anyone who would know saying anything that might give any hope at all for a new album, and a lot to indicate it's not happening.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »

If Capitol decides "yes" on it and comes up with the money, it'll happen. If Capitol comes up with the money and wants it out for Christmas, it'll be out for Christmas. Follow Capitol and the money.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »

Thank you, most kind and loyal members for yous wise and supportive responses. I know I am a bit like an aged troll keeping a small flame alive at some obscure, craggy mountain pass that no one ever uses, but I feel that attending to the issue of the album sends positive energy its way.  I think they underestimate just how great they can be.

more soon, I hope. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »

I think they underestimate just how great they can be.

Maybe.  But you could very well be underestimating just how lousy it could be as well.  I'd welcome another album if they all seemed to be into it enough.  But no point in forcing it on them.  We don't need another M.I.U. Album, do we? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

2012 was a magical year - excellent new album, stunning C50 shows and a huge dollop of critical acclaim. Everything aligned, all the dots were joined. Anyone here really think that's going to happen again, and without the impetus of the anniversary ? Seriously ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx