gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:55:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New studio album (Ocean Way sessions)  (Read 118923 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

Point taken.

Sorry if I came off as... preachy? Something like that. It'd just be goofy if they could get this guy to act like he was doing something multiple times on film but not get him to pose for a staged picture. But hay, there are some interesting folk behind the modern day "Brian machine", so it's hard to say.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 24, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »

The staged studio footage,

I believe some was staged for Imagination, the Christmas album and BWPS. But at least for the latter two, it was done because filming schedules were short and they needed footage quickly. Nothing on those latter two videos seems particularly out of character -- and and Mark has said the footage was perfectly representative of the actual sessions. There has also been abundant real footage of Brian creating -- TLOS DVD, On Christmas Day web video, the footage from Darian's laptop on the Smile DVD.

The Imagination stuff is at a different level. It basically shows him producing tracks that he didn't produce, and arranging things he didn't arrange. It gave everything that followed it a bad name. I can understand the desire to do it -- it had been 10 years since his last big solo project -- but it has had repercussions.

people doubling Brian's leads live and especially on record (especially Jeff doing it),

Live, I don't see the problem. Lots of the songs are double-tracked, and re-creating that can take two voices. On record, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Happened in BWPS on a tune or two, but I'm not sure where else you're hearing this. Yes, Jeff does sing a lot of falsetto and "answer" type parts. And that does get on a nerve or two around these parts!

the staged "fun and sun" image they're giving him a good 45 years after it was appropriate - this is the sort of trickery that I find really annoying,

Where and when have they given him that image? The suit and tie at the grand piano for the Gershwin album? The suit and broken-down 50s backdrop of the TLOS pictures? If anything, they've been trying to make him look like an elder statesman. I mean, if anything, his folks are trying to keep Brian away from that image -- he wants to start all his live shows with California Girls, for Pete's sake!

but a photoshopped Facebook picture? Meh.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:33:21 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »

Brian at Ocean Way yesterday:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150380545642241&set=a.452661542240.241240.34250497240&type=1&theater

(I'd post the photo but I don't know how to)

OK I use photosop quite a lot.

The hands are not 'shopped. Something funny is going on with Brian's face and head but I'm not convinced that it means he was not actually there. It may just be lighting effects or that its been 'shopped to bring out his face. Look at the hair, it's nearly impossible to photoshop hair that well and merge it into an existing image.

So my conclusion, admittedly from the low res pic on Facebook, is that the image has been played with in order to make it look nice but I am 70% sure it's not actually fake. But I am ready to be corrected, because there are some very strange things going on with Brian's nose

It's not faked, just oddly processed, according to someone who would know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »

Whew.  Glad we got that straightened out.  I wonder if Brian ever thinks "f*** the money, get these people away from me?"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »

Whew.  Glad we got that straightened out.  I wonder if Brian ever thinks "f*ck the money, get these people away from me?"

I'm sure he thinks it, just wish he'd say it!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »

Brian at Ocean Way yesterday:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150380545642241&set=a.452661542240.241240.34250497240&type=1&theater

(I'd post the photo but I don't know how to)

OK I use photosop quite a lot.

The hands are not 'shopped. Something funny is going on with Brian's face and head but I'm not convinced that it means he was not actually there. It may just be lighting effects or that its been 'shopped to bring out his face. Look at the hair, it's nearly impossible to photoshop hair that well and merge it into an existing image.

So my conclusion, admittedly from the low res pic on Facebook, is that the image has been played with in order to make it look nice but I am 70% sure it's not actually fake. But I am ready to be corrected, because there are some very strange things going on with Brian's nose

It's not faked, just oddly processed, according to someone who would know.

As an experienced photoshopper I am fully prepared to believe that.

It looks to me as if possibly Brian's face was very dark in the photo and somebody has selectively processed just that are (Brian's face) to play with. Most of the rest of the photo is untouched. It's a shame they didn't manage to blend the edges (eg. nose) in with the console better. Perhaps they were rushed for time.

It is also entirely possible that the image looked fine, and was then posted to facebook - FB has it's own image squashing algorithm which may have made the photo look less plausible.

As I said earlier, I'm a photoshop user and perfectly prepared to believe it's a real image where the only manipulation was in making it look nicer. Brian was there at the console in the pose depicted.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »

Can anyone make out any of the channel notations, other than "Music" and "Vocals" on the two bus faders to the left? 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »

From http://www.knoxville.com/news/2011/oct/14/wayne-bledsoe-brian-wilson-on-disney-songs-and/?partner=RSS

Overall, Wilson seems to be in a very productive phase of his life.

"I feel a creative roll coming on, yeah, I do. I'm working on an album. It's just going to be great. All original stuff and, believe me, it's good stuff."

Wilson says he hopes to have the new album out possibly as soon as the end of this year.

"We're not working slow. We're working at a pretty good clip. My producer, Joe Thomas, and I are also writing songs together."

Wilson says tracks on the upcoming album include songs titled "The Private Life (of) Bill and Sue" and "Shelter."

"It's gonna be a really, really good album," he says.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »

Hm, so now we know for sure he's working with Joe Thomas again. Don't know what I think about it. Hope both of them have learned their lessons.
But it's great he seems to be on a roll. I think TSS and digging into the Disney and Gershwin songs might have spurred some new creativity. And of course I hope it will become a Beach Boys album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »

So does this suggest this is only a solo album? Shame, I would like one last BB album.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »

It's never too late.  They could drag these Zombies out for the 60th!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

In a Billboard.com article, BW made it pretty clear this is a solo project:

"I'm starting another Brian Wilson album. We've got about five or six things in the works," Wilson tells Billboard.com. He adds that he anticipates making "just another album with good songs, some of it rock 'n' roll, some of it not."
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

So does this suggest this is only a solo album? Shame, I would like one last BB album.

Not me, I have no interest in the post Love You BB albums and expect we'd get more of the same. If Brian was in charge and using his current band with the other BBs singing and maybe writing a few words it might be good. But I see that as an unlikely scenario.

I'm looking forward to a new album of new material it does seem like a watershed time for Brian.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

And let me guess: there's one song that goes "Rock...roll...rockin' an'-a-roll-lin'..."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:06 PM »

And let me guess: there's one song that goes "Rock...roll...rockin' an'-a-roll-lin'..."
I like watchin' '60s radio TV
The black screen and songs really really
blow my mind!

That little blue box tells me who's singin'
and keeps bouncin' around -
it's kinda cool!

(Yeah)

It's gotta be '60s rock
every night at seven o' clock!
Melinda take all the dogs outside
gonna go in my mind and hide!

The Doors, you know, are pretty weird,
that creepy organ makes me think I'm dyin' -
what the hell!

I really like hearin' some 3 Dog Night
plus The Association's "Along Comes Mary"!
Where's my bong?

(Yeah)

It's gotta be '60s rock

[bridge w/ harmonies]

(Yeah)

It's gotta be '60s rock
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »

Brilliant.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

"Just another album with good songs, some of it rock 'n' roll, some of it not."

Please make it ALL Rock & Roll, Brian. None o' that wimp rock! Couple ballads will be OK, but let's boogie! Driving guitars and bass, drums, the whole nine yards. Give it a little Spectoresqe feel and you got a million and two seller!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »

I'm not sure I'd really want an entire full length album from The Beach Boys....but it'd be pretty great if they had 2 or 3 new songs on Brian's next solo album.   
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »

Wilson says he hopes to have the new album out possibly as soon as the end of this year.

"We're not working slow. We're working at a pretty good clip. My producer, Joe Thomas, and I are also writing songs together."

End of this year?! We're almost in NOVEMBER. I think he means 2012.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »

With reference to his recent BBC Radio interview, Brian said he was getting together with his friends Joe and Jeff to make an album. He said it wasn't a Beach Boys album.

Of course that doesn't stop him from also being involved in some sort of Beach Boys project. Why not do an EP? Surely the Boys between them have three good new (or at least unheard) songs they could add to the new Do It Again and fashion a decent EP.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »

"Just another album with good songs, some of it rock 'n' roll, some of it not."

Please make it ALL Rock & Roll, Brian. None o' that wimp rock! Couple ballads will be OK, but let's boogie! Driving guitars and bass, drums, the whole nine yards. Give it a little Spectoresqe feel and you got a million and two seller!

but those have been the worst songs on every bw release
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »

Yeah, we're gonna get an entire album of "How Can We Still Be Dancin'", no thanks.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
prefect319
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »

Yeah, we're gonna get an entire album of "How Can We Still Be Dancin'", no thanks.
Am i  the only person who happens to like that song. If they let brian work on things with them and mike doesn't take over the session it could be a good record. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »

Am i  the only person who happens to like that song. If they let brian work on things with them and mike doesn't take over the session it could be a good record. 

I love HCWSBD. One of the stronger tracks on GIOMH IMO.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
oldsurferdude
« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:09 AM »

I love HCWSBD. One of the stronger tracks on GIOMH IMO.
Not to mention the title track as well.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx