gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:41:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying some Brian Wilson bootlegs I've found.  (Read 62210 times)
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »

Hi all. I found a couple of records at my local record store that I've never seen or heard of before, and I haven't been able to find any information about them online. I was hoping someone here may have some more info about them. 

The back cover had some info about this one, it says these tunes are outtakes from the 15 Big Ones album. Any more info anyone could give me would be appreciated though.

I have no info at all about this one, called Brian Wilsom Productions?

And this one I know about, and have heard, but thought it was cool to find it on vinyl so I thought I'd share the pic Smiley

Are they worth buying?

RZA
Endless
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »

oh my god, that Adult/Child sleeve picture is the best I've seen! anyone have it in better quality than this?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »

Making Waves label - Canada - vinyl bootlegs - 1983

Beach Boys New Album (Collector’s Series #1)  (Black, orange, gold vinyl)
Beach Boys Adult Child (Collector’s Series #2)

Also in  the series were:
Beach Boys Merry Christmas (Collector’s Series #3)
Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4)  (Title misspelled on the cover (Califonia Feeling) but the title on the record label is spelt correctly).

And if you're going to collect all of the original vinyl boots, in addition to the 3 or 4 SMiLE releases and the front and back SMiLE slicks, there is Landlocked, Adult Child *, California Feeling *, Made In USA, the Honeys box set, Bamboo, Brian Loves You, Hawthorne Hot Shots, Bob & Sheri single w/sleeve. Pamela Jean, and the KPUK sleeve.

* Note that Adult Child and California Feeling vinyl bootleg albums are different than the 'Making Waves' versions above.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17359.0.html

Brian Wilson Productions - looks like Capitol SMF657, released 1980 (UK). Original version of this album came out in 1980 as Disk 7 of the Beach Boys Capitol Years World Records box set.

All of these albums are worth picking up - around $15 to $25 bucks each is about right.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:46:17 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »

Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4)  (Title misspelled on the cover (Califonia Feeling) but the title on the record label is spelt correctly).

And if you're going to collect all of the original vinyl boots, in addition to the 3 or 4 SMiLE releases and the front and back SMiLE slicks, there is Landlocked, Adult Child *, California Feeling *, Made In USA, the Honeys box set, Bamboo, Brian Loves You, Hawthorne Hot Shots, Bob & Sheri single w/sleeve. Pamela Jean, and the KPUK sleeve.

* Note that Adult Child and California Feeling vinyl bootleg albums are different than the 'Making Waves' versions above.

Brian Wilson Productions - released on vinyl by itself - looks like TOCP-6157 1990 (Japan) or.....

Original version of this album came out in 1980 as Disk 7 of the Beach Boys Capitol Years World Records box set.

All of these albums are worth picking up - around $15 to $25 bucks each is about right.

Man!  Too bad they never did the KPUK vinyl. 

Mikie, are you familiar with releases of a Smile single LP on colored vinyl,  Supposedly  Green, Blue, Red and maybe Yellow?   ( Sea Of Tunes LP 1001 )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »

Bgas, all I have is the 3-vinyl set (red, green, blue) Vigotone ‎– ST-9002 with poster and session notes. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »

Bgas, all I have is the 3-vinyl set (red, green, blue) Vigotone ‎– ST-9002 with poster and session notes. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned.

yeah, that's all I ever saw too. But evidently there are a lot of colored ones around. Have no idea if the tracks are different

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »

Just happened to see this new listing for a boot of the boot Honeys Box:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/400845045735

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »

I bought my Honeys box set when it came out (limited edition) and I don't remember it including a "He's A Doll" poster. It contains the "Surf Bash" poster and button, but I don't remember the poster of the Honeys record. Would be interested to find out if other collectors here have the "He's A Doll" poster.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »

I bought my Honeys box set when it came out (limited edition) and I don't remember it including a "He's A Doll" poster. It contains the "Surf Bash" poster and button, but I don't remember the poster of the Honeys record. Would be interested to find out if other collectors here have the "He's A Doll" poster.

The He's A Doll is the booklet for the boot of the boot( or 2nd edition if you will) where yours has the Honeys booklet. Also, your record has a blue label compared to the black for this 2nd edition. And of course, yours is numbered ( sticker on the outer plastic bag)

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »

Ahhhh, I was unaware that there was a boot of the boot of the Honeys Box Set!  So that makes IT a collectible too!

This is the one I have:

http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/530997-the-honeys-1lp-box-set-the-definite-album-vol-iii-no-label-paraguay-1977-unofficial-beach-boys-releated-issue

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 01:51:32 AM »

yeah, that's all I ever saw too. But evidently there are a lot of colored ones around. Have no idea if the tracks are different

The colored copies are just the most recent vinyl boots of SOT 16.  Same tracklist.  These are terrible pressings btw.  Very noisy and bad quality printing on the sleeves.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:20:18 AM »

The colored copies are just the most recent vinyl boots of SOT 16.  Same tracklist.  These are terrible pressings btw.  Very noisy and bad quality printing on the sleeves.

Am I right in thinking one of the tracks was speed corrected for the vinyl though?

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 04:54:34 AM »

Brian Wilson Productions - looks like Capitol SMF657, released 1980 (UK). Original version of this album came out in 1980 as Disk 7 of the Beach Boys Capitol Years World Records box set.

Thanks Mikie, I'll probably be picking these up next time I'm at the record store. Have you heard them? I'm wondering if the audio quality is good. Also, how are those Adult Child and California Feelings vinyls different that the Making Waves version?  Different mix and track listing? Or different songs?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:58:41 AM by SurfinNJ » Logged

RZA
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »

I´ve got Merry Christmas, Adult Child and California feeling even as Picture-Discs.
SurfinNJ
Smiley Smile Associate

La ola es mia

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 05:33:23 AM »

Also, are the old SMiLE boots worth picking up now that we have the SMiLE Sessions?

RZA
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 05:56:26 AM »

Adult Child and New Album sound like the source was a cassette tape-  listenable but hissy.  The Brian Wilson Productions disc is nicely pressed but has some rechannelled stereo cuts.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

Thanks Mikie, I'll probably be picking these up next time I'm at the record store. Have you heard them? I'm wondering if the audio quality is good. Also, how are those Adult Child and California Feelings vinyls different that the Making Waves version?  Different mix and track listing? Or different songs?

To answer your questions the best I can:

I do have them and it's been many years since I've listened to them. Prior to having the vinyl copies, I had cassette copies of each one. As gxios suggests that Adult Child and New Album sound like they're sourced from cassette tape and if memory serves, he's probably correct. If you find the second version of Adult Child (vinyl boot) with Brian's picture on the front and his back on the back, that is of a little better quality. Same with California Feeling boot LP; the one with Dennis on his boat on the back cover. It's hit or miss on the vinyls - there's always going to be surface noise and maybe a couple of clicks or pops, and the sources for the tracks are usually not going to be from first or second generation tapes. These boots all came out in the late 70's/early 80's, so most of the tracks are now available in much better quality.

SurfinNJ, if you want the original bootlegs and they have to be vinyl, then you can collect them all. If you want to get all the original vinyl copies of the regular issued Beach Boys records, I'd get them first, then collect the bootlegs. Otherwise, they all have subsequently been 'de-clicked' and 'de-noised' and pressed on CD as they were on vinyl and some of the songs have been formally released in MUCH better quality on various boots (Dumb Angel Series and Journals come immediately to mind) and even on FLAC/Mp3 over the years. There's one fan on this board that remixed the Landlocked and Adult Child tracks and they sound superb! The "Search" function is your best friend here. Any more questions, just inquire within. You have some advanced Beach Boys collectors right here on this thread alone with the answers.

If Manfred's still around, I'd like to get the manufacturer/numbers (if they exist) off the picture discs that he mentioned to add them to the vinyl bootleg list. I've only seen one of them over the years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:01:23 AM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »

Also, are the old SMiLE boots worth picking up now that we have the SMiLE Sessions?

They are worth picking up for their collectibility. These came out back in the early 80's, so vinyl was all there was at the time and we added them to our existing vinyl collections. Then CD's came out and they were duplicated to CD's and some of us added those to our CD collections. Then MP3's came out for computers and iPods/IPads and those same bootlegs were available for download. Aaaaannnnd, we also have a lot of fan mixes of Smile available for download. Subsequent to these original vinyl boots coming out, there have been vast improvements to the sound quality of the Smile tracks and closer generation sources have been found - sometimes the masters. The SOT set on CD came out around 1999/2000 with new revelations in sound quality. There is a list of Smile boots in this forum that I recommend you search for.

P.S. If you can't afford the TSS box, just get the 2-CD set. Sound quality is fantastic because in many cases they used the masters or very close to the masters for sources.

OK, I hear knocking on my front door now. Some guy is yelling "RIAA" so I gotta go.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:20:04 AM by Mikie » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »

Mikie, are you familiar with releases of a Smile single LP on colored vinyl,  Supposedly  Green, Blue, Red and maybe Yellow?   ( Sea Of Tunes LP 1001 )

Black, green, blue and red exist. All have the same tracklist.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »

The REAL BB Collector's series consisted of The blue vinyl Safari 101, The Honeys lp with a booklet, pin, a special The Beach Boys Love You! condom, and record in a box, the Hot Shots 2 EP set, The front and back Smile reprints, and the KPUK EP which was never pressed. The Adult Child, New Album, and Smile boots were done by a certain BB discographer who must remain nameless, and were NOT part of the BB Collector's Series.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:48:14 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

The REAL BB Collector's series consisted of The blue vinyl Safari 101, The Honeys lp with a booklet, pin, and record in a box, the Hot Shoys 2 EP set, The front and back Smile reprints, and the KPUK EP which was never pressed. The Adult Child, New Album, and Smile boots were done by a certain BB discographer who must remain nameless, and were NOT part of the BB Collector's Series.

What of the special bonus item in some of the Honeys Box set?

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

My memory is dull on this Chris, remind me of what the bonus item was....thanks!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »

Edited - See updated vinyl bootleg list on subsequent page of this thread.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:12:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »

2 - Honeys box set - album, poster, button (limited edition of 150, not numbered) Personal note - I missed out on the BB Love You condom (darn it).

All in all a great list Mikie!  only error as I see it was with the Honeys box. 
While the record/cover weren't numbered, there was a sticker on the outer plastic bag, looked like this one: 

As to the Condom, don't feel bad, they were inserted into random boxes; I was told one in 5 , maybe. I didn't get one either. Would have been very cool, I'm thinking. Be neat to hear from anyone here that did get one and, maybe, show a pic if they still have it( or send it to me and I'll post it....)

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx