gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 07:17:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: place for compiling any new information on a next BB album  (Read 49743 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »

In studio, yes I do. Live? If Brian's as motivated as he was last year then possibly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2013, 01:26:43 AM »

2012 was a magical year - excellent new album, stunning C50 shows and a huge dollop of critical acclaim. Everything aligned, all the dots were joined. Anyone here really think that's going to happen again, and without the impetus of the anniversary ? Seriously ?

No.

The only successful albums that the group have had during the wilderness years have been tied to a gimmick (Brian's Back or including the song from Cocktail). I'm sure that the band and record company are well aware that any new album not tied to an anniversary would be unlikely to do half as well.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2013, 02:05:03 AM »

2012 was a magical year - excellent new album, stunning C50 shows and a huge dollop of critical acclaim. Everything aligned, all the dots were joined. Anyone here really think that's going to happen again, and without the impetus of the anniversary ? Seriously ?

Not all three things you mentioned, no. Especially not shows. But who knows, maybe the new box will make them want to do more stuff and meet up in the studio.

Anyway, I think I know what a new album would be called...

SUMMER'S BACK!!!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »

I'm just gonna assume The Beach Boys are your favorite group Andrew. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I gotta ask why you wouldn't want your favorite group to possibly make new music. They are still alive and doing well. If they made 12 new songs, and only one was good, it would still be worth it, because it would be great new music from my favorite group. I don't understand the point of wishing against something you love.

On the other hand, I don't think that the group particularly owes us anything. Although the the box set has already been announced, so I am expecting that. But beyond that, anything else that Brian and/or the group does is gravy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2013, 07:15:58 AM »

I'm just gonna assume The Beach Boys are your favorite group Andrew. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I gotta ask why you wouldn't want your favorite group to possibly make new music. They are still alive and doing well. If they made 12 new songs, and only one was good, it would still be worth it, because it would be great new music from my favorite group. I don't understand the point of wishing against something you love.

It's wishing against it because he loves it. I feel the same way as AGD on this.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »

They could probably make a BETTER album than TWGMTR, lets face it. It's not exactly genius all the way through, would like to see them take another stab with the weight of expectations lifted a bit.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2013, 08:46:10 AM »

It's wishing against it because he loves it. I feel the same way as AGD on this.

So you'd rather them not even try? By that kinda reasoning, maybe they should have never followed up Pet Sounds, cuz gosh, what a high point to go out on. Or Bob Dylan shoulda quit after Blonde On Blonde, because you know he's gonna make Down In The Groove at some point.

I understand that they could put out a totally uninspired, embarrassing effort as a new album. But it could always be great. I'd rather have them work together with the chance of something good happening, rather then have no chance of great new Beach Boys work.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »

They could probably make a BETTER album than TWGMTR, lets face it. It's not exactly genius all the way through, would like to see them take another stab with the weight of expectations lifted a bit.

I'd like to see what all the guys could do together minus Joe Thomas and Bon Jovi

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:58 AM »

I agree with much of this analysis and with the hopes and expectations that we might see a great album , tempered by the fear that it might be a very very disappointing 1. I have no problem with Bon Jovi who wrote some wonderful lyrics. all the Jersey Boys here will understand his ability to capture the beach in winter. as I have said before, I want to see the 5 Beach Boys working creatively together
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »

No.

The only successful albums that the group have had during the wilderness years have been tied to a gimmick (Brian's Back or including the song from Cocktail). I'm sure that the band and record company are well aware that any new album not tied to an anniversary would be unlikely to do half as well.

True, but Brian was struggling with addictions during most of that time. He's been off of hard drugs since 1983 (and I think off marijuana since the second Landy era ended) so that's not an issue.  BB85 had a Brian who was under Landy's clutches; Still Cruisin' was less an album and more of a compilation with a few new songs; SIP was a Mike Love solo album featuring Carl and occasionally Bruce and Al; S&S was a tribute album featuring the band. TWGMTR was the first 'true' album since BB85, and even that started off as a BW solo project. I loved it, but I think a followup could be just as good if not better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »

A new album could certainly do just as well - it just needs to be promoted properly - and they would need to clinch QVC again.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

No.

True, but Brian was struggling with addictions during most of that time. He's been off of hard drugs since 1983 (and I think off marijuana since the second Landy era ended) so that's not an issue.  BB85 had a Brian who was under Landy's clutches; Still Cruisin' was less an album and more of a compilation with a few new songs; SIP was a Mike Love solo album featuring Carl and occasionally Bruce and Al; S&S was a tribute album featuring the band. TWGMTR was the first 'true' album since BB85, and even that started off as a BW solo project. I loved it, but I think a followup could be just as good if not better.

Billy, how did you get to be so gosh-darned smart? 5 BB in the studio, playing, talking, eating cheeseburgers, writing, singing. . . . endless harmony.  No JT, no out of town hired guns, no recording at "other" studios; no more Imagination left overs. And: no songs about idealized summer fun--unless they rock; and no songs about infantile need for shelter (or things related to shelter)--unless they cry.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »

A lot of Beach Boys fans pledge their undying loyalty...to what they wish the band would do. Rather than what they actually do. Which is funny, because at this point, with 50 years of history, we know how pretty much every scenario turns out in a Beach Boys context.
Be proud of the band and the fact that they managed to turn out a surprisingly excellent record this late in the game. THAT was the best case scenario.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »

A lot of Beach Boys fans pledge their undying loyalty...to what they wish the band would do. Rather than what they actually do. Which is funny, because at this point, with 50 years of history, we know how pretty much every scenario turns out in a Beach Boys context.
Be proud of the band and the fact that they managed to turn out a surprisingly excellent record this late in the game. THAT was the best case scenario.

Spaceman, you are a classical physicist, but I know you know quantum mechanics too: let's embrace the uncertainly principle. Of course, with the future unwritten, I share what I would like--we all look to the future with hope and longing. Nothing wrong with that eh? Bottom line: imagine how we would feel, if it fails or not, when we put on a brand new BB album?

best to all.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

Bottom line: imagine how we would feel, if it fails or not, when we put on a brand new BB album?

Frankly, "if it fails or not" makes a huge difference to how I would feel. If it were to be a new Summer In Paradise, I'd feel awful, like I'd wasted my money on something that had only caused me pain. If it was another That's Why God Made The Radio, I'd feel OK, like one does when listening to a quite good album by people who can do better.

To be honest, what I want, but know I'm never going to get (even if I believed there was any chance of a new album, which I don't), is "Jardine Sings Wilson" -- a new album of new Brian Wilson songs, produced in the style of his recent solo stuff (especially That Lucky Old Sun, which I think is a masterpiece), with Al Jardine singing all the leads. Mike and Bruce could do some backing vocals, and Dave could add some guitar, if Brian wanted.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

I think the odds against another Summer In Paradise being released are high.  Joe Thomas who probably put together most of TWGMTR, did a pretty good job, and is aware of what was critically praised and what was panned.  He would not want the last Beach Boys album to be an embarassment, and I'm sure that sentiment is shared by the almost all the people on the inside.  I say bring it on, but can't ignore the possibility that they could muff it up badly.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »

To be honest, what I want, but know I'm never going to get (even if I believed there was any chance of a new album, which I don't), is "Jardine Sings Wilson" -- a new album of new Brian Wilson songs, produced in the style of his recent solo stuff (especially That Lucky Old Sun, which I think is a masterpiece), with Al Jardine singing all the leads. Mike and Bruce could do some backing vocals, and Dave could add some guitar, if Brian wanted.

You know, upon reflection, this is a really COOL idea!

Seconded!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »

Brian is obviously working on something. Which raises the question; will it ever see the light of day, and if so what shape will it take?

Given that he's played some shows since the 50th with David and Al, and they seem to enjoy working together still, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume those guys will be involved in Brian's next project. Mike and Bruce on the other hand, are not exactly safe bets as far as I can tell. The unwillingness to continue touring with Brian and keep the surviving band together, was obviously not an amicable situation. I suppose there is some logic that says that if Mike thought there was a chance of collaborating with Brian on an album, which could generate a lot of profit with the right marketing under the BB's name, he would jump right on board. But who knows if Brian, Al and David even want him involved after what happened.

Weighing all these things it seems that there's at least a chance of a new BW solo album, featuring Al and David, but obviously not under the BBs name, since that's Mike's thing.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

Seconded!

Sorry Professor Einstein, I ought not have believed in the uncertainty principle if this is one of the possible results. Help me Ispaceman.  Nothing short of a BB album means anything to me.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »

Well, a real Beach Boys album is all about definition really. A bit like real professors.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

Seconded!

Sorry Professor Einstein, I ought not have believed in the uncertainty principle if this is one of the possible results. Help me Ispaceman.  Nothing short of a BB album means anything to me.

I hate to say it professor, but I can't get on board with that.

So a new Brian Wilson solo album wouldn't mean anything to you? The man is doing some of his best work since at least the '70s. Both That Lucky Old Sun and That's Why God Made The Radio have some of his strongest work in years. So whichever venue his new material comes through, I'll be happily awaiting it.

Why would you want a Beach Boys album that Mike Love and Bruce Johnston had to be pushed into performing on? What would be the point of that? You talk about how the group spreads happiness or whatever, but I don't see how this would spread good vibes. As much as I think Mike is a douchebag for wanting to continue on as "The Beach Boys" without any other original Beach Boys, I feel that if he doesn't wanna do a new Beach Boys album, he has the right not to.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »

Mike's position of touring looks even worse after the grammy win. I hope they sit down and decide things pretty soon.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

Mike needs to comment on a few things..

The man really needs to do an interview
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:02:07 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

Mike's position of touring looks even worse after the grammy win. I hope they sit down and decide things pretty soon.

Seems to me like everything's already been decided. Mike & Bruce are touring as the Beach Boys, and that's the decision.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »

Seconded!

I hate to say it professor, but I can't get on board with that.

So a new Brian Wilson solo album wouldn't mean anything to you? The man is doing some of his best work since at least the '70s. Both That Lucky Old Sun and That's Why God Made The Radio have some of his strongest work in years. So whichever venue his new material comes through, I'll be happily awaiting it.

Why would you want a Beach Boys album that Mike Love and Bruce Johnston had to be pushed into performing on? What would be the point of that? You talk about how the group spreads happiness or whatever, but I don't see how this would spread good vibes. As much as I think Mike is a douchebag for wanting to continue on as "The Beach Boys" without any other original Beach Boys, I feel that if he doesn't wanna do a new Beach Boys album, he has the right not to.

You're right; you are all right, dear friends because you warn that failure, whoever creates it, will disappoint us and that success will please us whatever the line up. No argument. I just want a great BB album--and so do you because who would not want a great BB album? Let's agree to agree and hope for the best.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx