gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:05:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 73855 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »

The fact that this began with the premise that The Beach Boys are timeless while The Beatles are not is enough to dismiss the entire argument, as far as I'm concerned.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »

This is downright silly. Any Capitol album released pre-Pepper is just as much of a "compilation" than any of them. Meet The Beatles is just as much of a hack job as Yesterday And Today. Just because you like the tracklisting a lot doesn't mean it's "integral". Integral to American fans in 1964 - yes, but to judge it against The Beach Boys albums of the same era, no - because The Beatles didn't have control over the sequencing of those albums.

Just because LIB was released after their break-up doesn't mean you shouldn't judge it critically.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »

Integral how? They didn't have the singles on them, or what?
Well Meet the Beatles is a better album that With the Beatles, it excludes the covers and includes the important US debut single. Hard Days Night and Help were different versions in the UK and US but the 7 songs that were in the film is all that mattered on the albums anyway.

You're saying this like we should all be agreeing with you.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »

Integral how? They didn't have the singles on them, or what?
Well Meet the Beatles is a better album that With the Beatles, it excludes the covers and includes the important US debut single. Hard Days Night and Help were different versions in the UK and US but the 7 songs that were in the film is all that mattered on the albums anyway.

I'm done.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

This is downright silly. Any Capitol album released pre-Pepper is just as much of a "compilation" than any of them. Meet The Beatles is just as much of a hack job as Yesterday And Today. Just because you like the tracklisting a lot doesn't mean it's "integral". Integral to American fans in 1964 - yes, but to judge it against The Beach Boys albums of the same era, no - because The Beatles didn't have control over the sequencing of those albums.

Just because LIB was released after their break-up doesn't mean you shouldn't judge it critically.

SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does that mean I'm the only American in this discussion? I know that the UK albums were the legitimate ones but they didn't exist in the US. When you break it down by album Meet the Beatles was the first album that the American public received even if it was a re-worked version of W/ the Beatles it was still what the American public knew, it didn't know W/ the Beatles because it wasn't released in the United States correct? A Hard Days Night and Help were different in the US and UK but both still included the songs that were in film, Rubber Soul and Revolver were also both released in the US and UK but with different songs and sequencing, so what is it that needs to be clarified?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »

Because we're people with basic critical faculties. The Beach Boys have made some of the worst music ever made.
I wish the BBs broke up after "love you" to save the world from the horrors of the later recorded output.
Or at least stop making new albums.

To say the Beach Boys made some of the worst music makes no sense to me. Id like to know what the criteria is.

There's much worse music out there than the horrors of SIP. I half agree with Hypehat's statement; the Beach Boys have made some of the worst music a great band has ever made.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »

I don't find it surprising (considering this is a beach boys forum) but I do find it interesting how many fans here chose the early beach boy albums over the early Beatles albums. No two Beatle records from their whole career sound alike but, you can lump beach boy albums into eras or make your own mix tape, and not know that the songs came from different albums (within reason). The Beach Boys were not an "albums" band.Yeah, there are a few exceptions from Pet Sounds and beyond, but the general body of work is best reflected as singles. I don't think the general body of work The Beatles created is best reflected through singles.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »

Because we're people with basic critical faculties. The Beach Boys have made some of the worst music ever made.
I wish the BBs broke up after "love you" to save the world from the horrors of the later recorded output.
Or at least stop making new albums.

To say the Beach Boys made some of the worst music makes no sense to me. Id like to know what the criteria is.

There's much worse music out there than the horrors of SIP. I half agree with Hypehat's statement; the Beach Boys have made some of the worst music a great band has ever made.
The Beach Boys out put from 62 to 72 (Surfin Safari thru Holland) and Love You (77) were ALL great albums! So when you look at just those albums their music was perfect.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »

Funny thing about me...I'd rather listen to the worst Beach Boys song that the best Beatles song. :/

Yeah, there are a few exceptions from Pet Sounds and beyond, but the general body of work is best reflected as singles.
Personally, I disagree. That was definitely true of the earlier albums, but not really true of the 70s material.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »

I don't find it surprising (considering this is a beach boys forum) but I do find it interesting how many fans here chose the early beach boy albums over the early Beatles albums. No two Beatle records from their whole career sound alike but, you can lump beach boy albums into eras or make your own mix tape, and not know that the songs came from different albums (within reason). The Beach Boys were not an "albums" band.Yeah, there are a few exceptions from Pet Sounds and beyond, but the general body of work is best reflected as singles. I don't think the general body of work The Beatles created is best reflected through singles.
What? The beatles were no more of an album band than the beach boys. The beach boys best work was 63-68 and the beatles best work was 63-66. At least when brian had his breakdown the band went on- the beatles werent even a band after revolver, they were a studio group.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »

Funny thing about me...I'd rather listen to the worst Beach Boys song that the best Beatles song. :/

Yeah, there are a few exceptions from Pet Sounds and beyond, but the general body of work is best reflected as singles.
Personally, I disagree. That was definitely true of the earlier albums, but not really true of the 70s material.

That's what I mean...from Pet Sounds onward are where the few albums appear...SMiLE, Wild Honey, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland. IMO.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:43:48 PM by RubberSoul13 » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »

What? The beatles were no more of an album band than the beach boys. The beach boys best work was 63-68 and the beatles best work was 63-66. At least when brian had his breakdown the band went on- the beatles werent even a band after revolver, they were a studio group.

I'm sorry but this is merely rhetorical acrobatics. The Beatles were no more of an album band than The Beach Boys because they "weren't even a band after Revolver"? Give me a break. You are doing nothing here but repeatedly constructing arbitrary and artificial parameters in order to make the claims you  want to make. This is the same mentality behind your claim that the Beatles career output was the same as the Beach Boys output between 62-67 because, you know, Let it Be was posthumous and doesn't count, etc.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »

When their best work occurred, is all opinion, regardless of the artist. I'm a bit confused as to why you say "the beatles werent even a band after revolver" though. It's true they almost only recorded from 1967-1970 but, why does that matter? Take into perspective how historically game changing they were in that period of time. I believe that The Beach Boys of 1967, were the same Beach Boys of 1970. The Beatles were VERY different. And besides, isn't a true BAND a group of musicans who are BANDED together? The Beatles HAD to be John, Paul, George and, Ringo. The Beach Boys could call in dozens of studio musicians, appear at concerts as they please practically (Dennis...Brian) and it didn't quite matter so much as to who was on stage to the general public, or even the general sound. How else would Mike and Bruce get away with it these days? Except for Mike and Brian (the majority creators) the music is bigger than all the other Beach Boys. The Beatles music is not bigger than John, Paul, George and, Ringo BUT, in a weird way, that strengthens it and honestly, makes it more durable than The Beach Boys catalog.
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »

Same here. Personally, i don't "feel the love", so to speak, when i'm listening to The Beatles like i do when i listen to the boys. It's hard to explain.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

Same here. Personally, i don't "feel the love", so to speak, when i'm listening to The Beatles like i do when i listen to the boys. It's hard to explain.
Exactly. I dont care how many more records the beatles sold or how much more hype the media gave them, the beach boys just made better music, period.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

Exactly. I dont care how many more records the beatles sold or how much more hype the media gave them, the beach boys just made better music, period.

That has been precisely the point of no-one in this thread.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2013, 01:08:28 PM »

But how does "the beach boys made better music, period" provide me with a reason to agree with you? It sounds to me, like you don't have any good reason and you just happen to prefer their catalog more...which is fine. But just say it...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

That has been precisely the point of no-one in this thread.
What was/is the point of this thread? I forgets.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »

Any truth to the rumor that kookadams is actually newguy? I'll buy it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »

the beach boys just made better music, period.

We get it kookadams. You have an opinion, now stop.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

Whether it is actually true or not, only a person's musical taste will know for sure. In my heart & soul, The Beach Boys music moves me in ways that only The Beatles' wish they could. But that is only me, YMMV.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

the beach boys just made better music, period.

We get it kookadams. You have an opinion, now stop.

Great summary. LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

Whether it is actually true or not, only a person's musical taste will know for sure. In my heart & soul, The Beach Boys music moves me in ways that only The Beatles' wish they could. But that is only me, YMMV.

I feel exactly the same way - but alas, statistically many millions think otherwise.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »

But how does "the beach boys made better music, period" provide me with a reason to agree with you? It sounds to me, like you don't have any good reason and you just happen to prefer their catalog more...which is fine. But just say it...

Exactly. Kook seems to want to prove to us his tastes are valid (when many people here would have agreed to begin with) by creating all sorts of strange and arbitrary rules. It is enough to just say "I like The Beach Boys music better." Why all this "music they created between 62-67" nonsense is given is utterly meaningless and, also, spectacularly dishonest.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »

I kind of match up ABBEY ROAD and SUNFLOWER. Both albums are immaculately produced (slick maybe?) with sonic nuance, detail, precision, and a deep emotional core in spots.

I think The Beach Boys probably beat The Beatles on singles going head to head through 1967, but The Beatles made more consistent albums. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:08:09 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx