gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 03:32:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 74673 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

Balls in your court - go rep for MIU, LA, KTSA, or SIP without resorting to 'Brian wrote it', 'it's good for the time', 'Carl/Al/Dennis saves this song', 'there's worse to come' 'in spite of the production', or any other thousands of excuses fans make for those absolutely awful albums. Do it. If you listen to it for the sole reason that it's by The Beach Boys, you're not listening because it's 'good', it's fan service. I don't have to spend my precious life listening to Keeping The Summer Alive just because it's by The BB's when I honestly think it's crap.

Who said I had to like everything they did, anyway?

IMO, those albums have about five or six tracks of any worth between them (I didn't mention BB85 because, well, I like BB85). The rest I'd listen to out of curiosity or a sense of duty, because I'm a fan. But I'd never say they were good albums - they're all fatally flawed!
They are flawed, and inferior to their great stuff....but to say they "made some of the worst music ever made" is BS. Their bad/lackluster stuff is not half as bad as the worst music ever made.
And as for Smile Brian's "they should have broke up after Love You"......give me a break.

And since this is another BB's vs. Beatles inane thread I'll point out that McCartney put out tons of crap with and without Wings yet his stuff always ended up on the radio simply because he had been a Beatle. I'd take Goin On, Baby Blue, and even the disco version of Here Comes the Night any day over Ebony and Ivory or Say Say Say. I have a CD by Paul called Wingspan and disc 2 is lesser known Wings stuff (I think) that is so bad it's like listening to paint dry.

And I like Paul and the Beatles, but the bias and pass he/they have gotten over the decades is really annoying to say the least.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

They actually did break up briefly in 1977 after the tarmac fight. One of the main reasons they got back together was for the money from the rich CBS contract. The band's live shows from 1978-1998 (with a couple exceptions) were full in autopilot mode. Add the horrible studio albums in the mix and its not a surprise people didn't take them seriously anymore. The 1993 box set and its tour were the first steps to restoring the legacy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »

Man, reading Beach Boys nutters' opinions of Beatles music makes me laugh.
Sgt Pepper is a masterpiece. Opinion or fact. Its music - superb music, brilliantly written, performed, arranged, engineered and so on.
See this is the main problem I have with the Beatles really, their fans. It's like religious indoctrination. They're conditioned from birth to believe that the Beatles are above criticism. Any negative view is met with an incredulous cry of "b-b-b-but it's the Beatles!!!"

Well sorry, I'm just not that not impressed by them. I'm not trying to be clever, or different, I just find their music boring on the whole. And really, calling me a nutter just because I don't buy into the whole Emperors New Clothes scenario that is Beatle fandom just makes you come across like a moron.

Sgt Peppers is consistently voted the best album ever. I just don't think its that good even by their standards. Rubber Sole and Abbey Road are consistently better. This is why I call it overrated. I think it is. And the reason I say Beach Boys albums are better, because I think they are.

Shall we agree to disagree without the insults?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:25:24 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »

See this is the main problem I have with the Beatles really, their fans. It's like religious indoctrination. They're conditioned from birth to believe that the Beatles are above criticism. Any negative view is met with an incredulous cry of "b-b-b-but it's the Beatles!!!"

Well sorry, I'm just not that not impressed by them. I'm not trying to be clever, or different, I just find their music boring on the whole. And really, calling me a nutter just because I don't buy into the whole Emperors New Clothes scenario that is Beatle fandom just makes you come across like a moron.

Sgt Peppers is consistently voted the best album ever. I just don't think its that good even by their standards. Rubber Sole and Abbey Road are consistently better. This is why I call it overrated. I think it is. And the reason I say Beach Boys albums are better, because I think they are.

Preach it brother. And I say this as a (minor) Beatles fan. Sgt.Pepper is not their best album. Not even the best album of 1967. I think "Forever Changes" by Love kicks it's a$$ on every conceivable level.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 22, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

edit
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:13:09 AM by Death To Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »

The greatest trick the Beatles ever pulled was convincing the world they didn't record filler

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »

They actually did break up briefly in 1977 after the tarmac fight. One of the main reasons they got back together was for the money from the rich CBS contract. The band's live shows from 1978-1998 (with a couple exceptions) were full in autopilot mode. Add the horrible studio albums in the mix and its not a surprise people didn't take them seriously anymore. The 1993 box set and its tour were the first steps to restoring the legacy.
Taken seriously by who? Moron critics for rags like the Rolling Stone? The clowns that hand out meaningless Grammy awards? I'll admit they could have changed up the set list and really missed something after Denny died but they put on many great shows during those years you mention. I was at a lot of them and there were thousands of people on their feet year after year.

Can you tell me why Paul McCartney was taken seriously when he was putting out Say Say Say? Do you think on any level that deserved the airplay it received? How about Silly Love Songs or Ebony and Ivory? Big hits that are embarrassingly bad.

I also remember Summerfest in Milwaukee trying to book Paul for a concert in the '70's and not being able to reach a deal because he demanded a minimum of $60,000 dollars and in those days that was unheard of for a head line act at Summerfest.

Again, I'm a Beatles fan and have seen Paul in concert twice and both times he was great. He and the Beatles however are also overrated pains in the butt on many levels to me and lots of other people.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »

You're right there. Sgt Pepper is full of what I would class as filler. Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning, and that dreadful track that sounds like you're sitting in an Indian restaurant.

You're so unbelievably Eurocentric.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

I disagree. They weren't being taken seriously from Smiley Smile onward. The reasons why some these later 70's albums are below par was mainly from trying too hard to find a sound that worked and a Brian Wilson who was not quite up to the task.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:32:01 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

Them working too hard and BW being out of it are good reasons why the group should have taken a break. Brian and Dennis could have gotten more help to become functional again and therefore making songs to revitalize the band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »

You're right there. Sgt Pepper is full of what I would class as filler. Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning, and that dreadful track that sounds like you're sitting in an Indian restaurant.

You're so unbelievably Eurocentric.
You guys and this "Filler" crap. Who cares? Every song on an album does not have to be a masterpiece. If they were, you'd be bitching because their albums were like Greatest Hits packages. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »

Them working too hard and BW being out of it are good reasons why the group should have taken a break. Brian and Dennis could have gotten more help to become functional again and therefore making songs to revitalize the band.

Why? I am quite happy that my favorite band has been around for 51 years. At least they tried something. Just didn't sit on their asses and collect royalty checks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

That is a great fact about the band, but I just think so many of the years were in autopilot touring mode. Touring non-stop with a bizarre stage show with poor albums did a number on the BBs reputation in my opinion. The boxsets of the 1990s had to remind the general public of why the BBs mattered beyond the crass stage act they became.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »

That is a great fact about the band, but I just think so many of the years were in autopilot touring mode. Touring non-stop with a bizarre stage show with poor albums did a number on the BBs reputation in my opinion. The boxsets of the 1990s had to remind the general public of why the BBs mattered beyond the crass stage act they became.
You really don't like this band very much, do you? Crass stage act? Geez, even at the top of their game, they were constantly on the road touring. Nothing changed in that respect. Think about it, their best two songwriters were having plenty of issues in the late 70's until Dennis' death, and Brian through till the end of the second Landy era. If nothing else, the concert tours were the one ggod thing that kept them in the public eye, especially from the mid-80's until Carl's passing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
halblaineisgood
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:34:17 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:34:29 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »

Crass Bizarre Autopilot
Crass? Don't even understand what is meant by it. Bizarre- Yeah, for a few years. Basically, the years all the Wilson brothers were having one issue or another. Autopilot? I enjoyed every mo-honkin' one of them. When you play what the fans want to hear, over & over for 30+ years, yep, you can go into autopilot. They were still good shows autopilot or not, from the mid-80's onward.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
halblaineisgood
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:34:45 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Just expressing my honest opinion on the BBs, thats all. This thread is another BBs vs. Beatles thread, so I am trying to answer why the Beatles have a god-like reputation and the BBs don't. Doesn't matter if I went to a show, bootlegs and full concert videos on youtube are a source to make decisions.

I love the BBs, but I am not afraid to call them out when reviewing them if I see fit to do so.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »

Crass Bizarre Autopilot

Great band name right there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »

Just expressing my honest opinion on the BBs, thats all. This thread is another BBs vs. Beatles thread, so I am trying to answer why the Beatles have a god-like reputation and the BBs don't. Doesn't matter if I went to a show, bootlegs and full concert videos on youtube are a source to make decisions.

I love the BBs, but I am not afraid to call them out when reviewing them if I see fit to do so.

Yeah, well it does matter when you call the shows crass, bizarre & autopilot. Even watching videos and listening to boots is not quite the same as experiencing it in person. You act like beyond Pet Sounds & Smile, your interest in the band is Brianista-like, at best. And that is my opinion of you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »

Can you tell me why Paul McCartney was taken seriously when he was putting out Say Say Say? Do you think on any level that deserved the airplay it received? How about Silly Love Songs or Ebony and Ivory? Big hits that are embarrassingly bad.

Exactly! Although...at least Silly Love Songs had a cool intro and bassline...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »

Yeah, well it does matter when you call the shows crass, bizarre & autopilot. Even watching videos and listening to boots is not quite the same as experiencing it in person. You act like beyond Pet Sounds & Smile, your interest in the band is Brianista-like, at best. And that is my opinion of you.

To be fair to SMiLE Brian, who is not someone I agree with often, a lot of the shows in that period fit that description fairly well. Cheerleaders, Adrian Baker, Al looking at his watch, cheesy synths, Billy Hinsche rapping, Mike exaggerating his nasal vocals, Stamos, that awful 25th anniversary special... there were peaks and troughs, and I wouldn't dismiss that entire period (there were clear efforts to up their game in 85, 88, 93 and 96, for example, and I think the shows I've heard from 77-80 are extremely good more often than not), but there were some very, very poor shows during that time, though it does depend what your criteria are. The audiences clearly went away happy more often than not, so they must have been doing something right, but aesthetically/artistically a lot of those shows were just plain bad.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »

With all due respect to The Beatles, if it is between a Beach Boys album and a Beatles album, it'll always be a Beach Boys album.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

I agree

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx