gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 09:53:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 74669 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »

Just expressing my honest opinion on the BBs, thats all. This thread is another BBs vs. Beatles thread, so I am trying to answer why the Beatles have a god-like reputation and the BBs don't. Doesn't matter if I went to a show, bootlegs and full concert videos on youtube are a source to make decisions.

I love the BBs, but I am not afraid to call them out when reviewing them if I see fit to do so.

Yeah, well it does matter when you call the shows crass, bizarre & autopilot. Even watching videos and listening to boots is not quite the same as experiencing it in person. You act like beyond Pet Sounds & Smile, your interest in the band is Brianista-like, at best. And that is my opinion of you.

To be fair to SMiLE Brian, who is not someone I agree with often, a lot of the shows in that period fit that description fairly well. Cheerleaders, Adrian Baker, Al looking at his watch, cheesy synths, Billy Hinsche rapping, Mike exaggerating his nasal vocals, Stamos, that awful 25th anniversary special... there were peaks and troughs, and I wouldn't dismiss that entire period (there were clear efforts to up their game in 85, 88, 93 and 96, for example, and I think the shows I've heard from 77-80 are extremely good more often than not), but there were some very, very poor shows during that time, though it does depend what your criteria are. The audiences clearly went away happy more often than not, so they must have been doing something right, but aesthetically/artistically a lot of those shows were just plain bad.
Glad we agree on something, those flaws you mention are what I was hitting at with the crass and bizarre terms. This youtube video is a prime example with cheerleaders.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

Just expressing my honest opinion on the BBs, thats all. This thread is another BBs vs. Beatles thread, so I am trying to answer why the Beatles have a god-like reputation and the BBs don't. Doesn't matter if I went to a show, bootlegs and full concert videos on youtube are a source to make decisions.

I love the BBs, but I am not afraid to call them out when reviewing them if I see fit to do so.

Yeah, well it does matter when you call the shows crass, bizarre & autopilot. Even watching videos and listening to boots is not quite the same as experiencing it in person. You act like beyond Pet Sounds & Smile, your interest in the band is Brianista-like, at best. And that is my opinion of you.

To be fair to SMiLE Brian, who is not someone I agree with often, a lot of the shows in that period fit that description fairly well. Cheerleaders, Adrian Baker, Al looking at his watch, cheesy synths, Billy Hinsche rapping, Mike exaggerating his nasal vocals, Stamos, that awful 25th anniversary special... there were peaks and troughs, and I wouldn't dismiss that entire period (there were clear efforts to up their game in 85, 88, 93 and 96, for example, and I think the shows I've heard from 77-80 are extremely good more often than not), but there were some very, very poor shows during that time, though it does depend what your criteria are. The audiences clearly went away happy more often than not, so they must have been doing something right, but aesthetically/artistically a lot of those shows were just plain bad.
Glad we agree on something, those flaws you mention are what I was hitting at with the crass and bizarre terms. This youtube video is a prime example with cheerleaders.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs
It's one song, 3:00 mins of a 90 minute show. That is being overly critical of a whole show. Cheerleaders are not crass, nor bizarre in the context of Be True To Your SCHOOL. Even the 45 version had simulated cheerleaders doing cheers in the song. Next you will be telling me how bizzare it is to have surf boards on stage too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »

Glad we agree on something, those flaws you mention are what I was hitting at with the crass and bizarre terms. This youtube video is a prime example with cheerleaders.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs
It's one song, 3:00 mins of a 90 minute show. That is being overly critical of a whole show. Cheerleaders are not crass, nor bizarre in the context of Be True To Your SCHOOL. Even the 45 version had simulated cheerleaders doing cheers in the song. Next you will be telling me how bizzare it is to have surf boards on stage too.
Another video from the same concert with cheerleaders, whole show is posted on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMU1tF64_Uc

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:34:59 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »

Glad we agree on something, those flaws you mention are what I was hitting at with the crass and bizarre terms. This youtube video is a prime example with cheerleaders.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSwdQMn8xs
Another video from the same concert with cheerleaders, whole show is posted on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMU1tF64_Uc
This may have happened in Japan, but I saw them many, many times throughout the 80s & 90's and they rarely had them for more than a song or two, at least here at the Philly shows that I attended.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

Fair enough, I will take your word on it.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »

Cheerleaders are not crass

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »

Forget debating about whether or not it was crass or bizarre. Do you give other people permission to enjoy something crass and bizarre? Can you give them permission? Can you give them permission to be as smart you are, and know something bizarre or crass when they see it and not need your help ?
What is your beef with me? I am just posting my thoughts on this thread.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

SmileBrian, you need to face the facts that they are not the Pet Sounds/Smile Beach Boys that you fantasize them as. They haven't been that band since 1967, or the less than mainstream band since 1975.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
halblaineisgood
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:26:01 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »

I disagree, C50 proved the artistic part of the BBs never went away and they can still be about the "music".

halblaineisgood
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:26:43 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:27:18 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:27:32 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

Go troll somewhere else, you add nothing of value to this discussion.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:27:46 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

Maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of crass. In America, they are a part of the culture. They are looked at in a very positive way. So, it may be a bit corny or whatever, but not what I call crass.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »

Go troll somewhere else, you add nothing of value to this discussion.
Boy, the pot calling the kettle black.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »

Maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of crass. In America, they are a part of the culture. They are looked at in a very positive way. So, it may be a bit corny or whatever, but not what I call crass.

Depends which Americans you ask. I just asked my wife, who's from Minnesota (the home of cheerleading) and she said that the only reason she wouldn't use the word "crass" about cheerleading is that she'd use a lot of ruder words...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

Depends which Americans you ask. I just asked my wife, who's from Minnesota (the home of cheerleading) and she said that the only reason she wouldn't use the word "crass" about cheerleading is that she'd use a lot of ruder words...
Wait a minute here, if the college cheerleaders agree to go up and do this and they are not forced, then it is not crass. They are doing it of their own volition. Just about every high school & college, as well as pro sports teams in America have volunteer or paid Cheerleaders.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:43:08 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »

Wait a minute here, if the college cheerleaders agree to go up and do this and they are not forced, then it is not crass. They are doing it of their own volition. Just about every high school & college, as well as pro sports team in America have volunteer or paid Cheerleaders.

Plenty of people choose to do crass things of their own volition.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »

In my opinion, the use of cheerleaders at BBs show was crass. Nothing more could distract and block the view of the band for the hardcore fans. Plus they couldn't change the setlist anymore without messing up the cheerleader changing schedule. Hence Al's anger in the Carlin book.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:28:08 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »

In my opinion, the use of cheerleaders at BBs show was crass. Nothing more could distract and block the view of the band for the hardcore fans. Plus they couldn't change the setlist anymore without messing up the cheerleader changing schedule. Hence Al's anger in the Carlin book.
Nobody said that you had to like it, but they never blocked my view of the band. Hell, they don't even block my view at a football game. Besides, you have 30 plus other songs to watch the band, just in case they did happen to block your view. Listen to the words of the song and Honeys singing cheers. It's just Show & Tell, baby!  Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »

Plenty of people choose to do crass things of their own volition.
And you seem okay with that.

I am. I'm a fairly crass person myself.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx