gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:49:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 74683 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »

Ok it's hard 2 say who's better in the 60's out of the bbs and the beatles.. it's a tie. They both are absolutely amazing groups..and well "free as a bird" is my personal favorite. Smiley
this might be a bias message board but i'm being honest and i feel like neither one of these groups are better than one another.
beatles had catchier songs, beach boys had sweeter melodies Smiley

I agree about "Free as a Bird".... one of my faves too.  Beautiful track!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

Ok it's hard 2 say who's better in the 60's out of the bbs and the beatles.. it's a tie. They both are absolutely amazing groups..and well "free as a bird" is my personal favorite. Smiley
this might be a bias message board but i'm being honest and i feel like neither one of these groups are better than one another.
beatles had catchier songs, beach boys had sweeter melodies Smiley

I agree about "Free as a Bird".... one of my faves too.  Beautiful track!

you have great taste Smiley that song has an amazing melody. I always been more of a paul mccartney fan than a john lennon fan but that song makes me reconsider.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »

Pitting The Beach Boys against The Beatles? Forget that crap. BEACH BOYS WIN EVERY DAMN TIME.
Agreed, this should be the new motto of this board.
Nonsense.  I don't get some of the Beatles bashing that goes on around here.  Obviously, it's a Beach Boys board, so they come first here, but that's no reason to slam one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  I think Brian thought pretty highly of them. . .
I think highly of the Beatles as well from growing up with them, I just like the Beach Boys more these days.  I. Spaceman's answer was an awesome and funny way to say the Beach Boys were better. LOL

Yes, you got what I was saying, as you are one of the prized few with a sense of humour around these parts. The Beatles were great. The Beach Boys were beyond that. Period. End of discussion. Otherwise, head to a Beatles board, right?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

Am I one of the few Beach Boys fans that prefers Lennon over McCartney? It seems that most BB fans praise McCartney over Lennon.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »

Am I one of the few Beach Boys fans that prefers Lennon over McCartney? It seems that most BB fans praise McCartney over Lennon.
besides the fact that mccartney is a fan of the beach boys/brian wilson. most of the beatles songs i liked he sung lead on and written most of it Smiley(oh darling,all my loving,,getting better)..then again the ones i really loved john did too(free as a bird,dont let me down,across the universe)..now i'm confused :/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

what about the ones they wrote together?

Brian was a better songwriter technically, but not in terms of 'pop' - I Get Around v. I Want To Hold Your Hand, say, one is a technically complex piece rife with keychanges and harmonic intricacy and the other is just the key of C played about with glee. But both work, so Lennon and McCartney cannot be denied. Brian was a better producer than George Martin.

But that's just me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »

Brian was a better songwriter technically, but not in terms of 'pop' - I Get Around v. I Want To Hold Your Hand, say, one is a technically complex piece rife with keychanges and harmonic intricacy and the other is just the key of C played about with glee. But both work, so Lennon and McCartney cannot be denied. Brian was a better producer than George Martin.

But that's just me.
your just speaking the truth Smiley what brian did by himself neither john nor paul could ever do musically Smiley
i'm not being biased but BRIAN WILSON IS A GENIUS!!!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

I'd take Lennon over McCartney, but it's really close. John was more experimental to me and I really like the large majority of songs he wrote from '64-'67.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »

I'd take Lennon over McCartney, but it's really close. John was more experimental to me and I really like the large majority of songs he wrote from '64-'67.

The songs that made me get into the Beatles were Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus and Lucy in the Sky. Now I would say that Because and Across the Universe are on that list.

Not to say I hate McCartney, but I am not too high on songs like Hey Jude and When I'm 64. However, songs like Elenour Rigby, Michelle, and Let it Be are excellent.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »

how about a list of Beatles/BBs songs with a common element?
i used to have a mixtape like that. it went something like this:

Ticket To Ride ... Girl Don't Tell Me
I Went To Sleep ... I'm Only Sleeping
A Day In The Life ... Surf's Up
Passing By ... Flying
God Only Knows ... Here There and Everywhere

and so on.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »

The songs that made me get into the Beatles were Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus and Lucy in the Sky. Now I would say that Because and Across the Universe are on that list.

Not to say I hate McCartney, but I am not too high on songs like Hey Jude and When I'm 64. However, songs like Elenour Rigby, Michelle, and Let it Be are excellent.
Seems like you only know their hits compared to the album songs.(from the choice of songs you've brought up)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »

how about a list of Beatles/BBs songs with a common element?

A Day In The Life ... Surf's Up

A Day In The Life ... A Day In The Life Of A Tree  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 02:47:41 AM »

Tough call in the Beatles, but I'd go with Lennon, I just love his voice and Strawberry Fields, Rain, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky, A Day in the Life are all amazing, edgy creative lyrics, great use of speech rhythms.

But I can no longer listen to his solo albums, still had the voice but his idiotic belief that he should only write songs about himself and Yoko was an artistic strait jacket that crippled his writing. I do like Imagine and Mind Games (the songs not the albums).

Paul's solo career has plenty of cheese, but his musicality shines through, there is also a lot of invention and diversity.

But I'm coming to like George's solo career the best, the care and craft he puts into his albums is fantastic, there is a sincerity and emotional connection in his song writing and All things Must Pass has by far the most great songs of any Beatles solo album, it also helps that I feel attuned to his spirituality.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »

Tough call in the Beatles, but I'd go with Lennon, I just love his voice and Strawberry Fields, Rain, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky, A Day in the Life are all amazing, edgy creative lyrics, great use of speech rhythms.

But I can no longer listen to his solo albums, still had the voice but his idiotic belief that he should only write songs about himself and Yoko was an artistic strait jacket that crippled his writing. I do like Imagine and Mind Games (the songs not the albums).

Paul's solo career has plenty of cheese, but his musicality shines through, there is also a lot of invention and diversity.

But I'm coming to like George's solo career the best, the care and craft he puts into his albums is fantastic, there is a sincerity and emotional connection in his song writing and All things Must Pass has by far the most great songs of any Beatles solo album, it also helps that I feel attuned to his spirituality.
Seems like i'm the only one that prefers mccartney's work over lennon's...Paul's work began 2 increasingly develop and his creativy began peaking more as the beatles grew...He sounds so different in every beatles song ..He's the only that can come from a song like "hey jude" to "helter skelter" to "oh darling" to "get back" effortless.(so many styles)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

Lennon over McCartney for me too. Perhaps because of a spirituality or depth or something he has and Paul hasn't. Totally agreed on George and ATMP.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »

But that's just me.
your just speaking the truth Smiley what brian did by himself neither john nor paul could ever do musically Smiley
i'm not being biased but BRIAN WILSON IS A GENIUS!!!

You're sorta missing my point - You can't go round saying 'Brian's better cos he used major seventh chords in pop' or something when The Beatles got the same effect on the early stuff without similar technical innovation. It's not about the technical stuff, even though that is amazing.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 07:11:45 AM »

Another George fan here, for the reasons Keri cites. Guess I'm just partial to the "quiet ones."

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »

Seems like you only know their hits compared to the album songs.(from the choice of songs you've brought up)

I'm saying what got me into them originally. I love plenty of deep cuts. Such as In My Life, Tommorow Never Knows, You Know My Name, Dr Robert, A Girl, Mr Kite, Because, etc...I have all the albums!

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »

I rate Lennon/McCartney equally but starting with Revolver I tend to prefer McCartney over Lennon, I still think John wrote some fantastic songs afterwards but Paul carried the band through their last period IMO and his solo career is more fulfilling to me. His songs might not have the same depth as John's but he still made great melodies which just appeal to me more. (Ram>>>>>>>Imagine)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »

She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand have a raw excitement that early Beach Boys singles lack, presumably because The Beatles were channeling Little Richard and Roy Orbison whilst The Beach Boys came out of the Four Freshmen, Everly Brothers and so on. This doesn't detract from the genius of the chord changes on Fun Fun Fun; it just means that Fun Fun Fun was not as revolutionary in it expressiveness by the white pop standards of the time. Brian was more of a continuation of Brill Building pop, whilst The Beatles were more connected to the reasons why Rock and Roll was culturally important.

Similarly, although Macca was by far a better composer than Lennon, it was John who connected with the edginess and speed-fueled dissatisfaction of the mid-1960's, especially in his Revolver-era tracks (She Said She Said, Rain, Dr Robert). Macca was observing the 60's from a position of comfort, whereas Lennon was unhappy and brooding. Brian was also unhappy and brooding but with greater beauty but less wit and without the lyric-writing ability.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:38:07 PM by harrisonjon » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »

Would you care to explain your last sentence? How was what was coming out of the Brill Building not rock and roll? Not all Brill Building was Neil Sedaka pop.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

I wrote 'Brill building pop', so I did qualify it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »

I wrote 'Brill building pop', so I did qualify it.
Respectfully, I asked you to explain it, not qualify it. While Brian did write pop, a la Pet Sounds, the songs he was writing from 63-65 were rock and roll. There is plenty of rock and roll that didn't have the harder edge that some Beatles songs possessed. A good portion of what Macca was writing during that time was pure pop.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »

The Beach Boys rock songs of the early 60s were closer to punk then classic rock. Songs like Surfin Safari, Shut Down, Custom Machine, I Get Around and Girl from NY City had an edge that didn't need screaming vocals and guitars to make it rock. It is what came natural to them. But Brian was motivated by getting a right feeling as opposed to being the heaviest rock band.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »

The Beach Boys rock songs of the early 60s were closer to punk then classic rock. Songs like Surfin Safari, Shut Down, Custom Machine, I Get Around and Girl from NY City had an edge that didn't need screaming vocals and guitars to make it rock. It is what came natural to them. But Brian was motivated by getting a right feeling as opposed to being the heaviest rock band.
Exactly! Great post.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,