gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 06:32:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys vs Beatles in the same years  (Read 74690 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2013, 06:07:04 AM »

No, just no.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2013, 06:47:33 AM »

Because we're people with basic critical faculties. The Beach Boys have made some of the worst music ever made.
I wish the BBs broke up after "love you" to save the world from the horrors of the later recorded output.
These are two of the more preposterous statements I have read on here in a while.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »

Balls in your court - go rep for MIU, LA, KTSA, or SIP without resorting to 'Brian wrote it', 'it's good for the time', 'Carl/Al/Dennis saves this song', 'there's worse to come' 'in spite of the production', or any other thousands of excuses fans make for those absolutely awful albums. Do it. If you listen to it for the sole reason that it's by The Beach Boys, you're not listening because it's 'good', it's fan service. I don't have to spend my precious life listening to Keeping The Summer Alive just because it's by The BB's when I honestly think it's crap.

Who said I had to like everything they did, anyway?

IMO, those albums have about five or six tracks of any worth between them (I didn't mention BB85 because, well, I like BB85). The rest I'd listen to out of curiosity or a sense of duty, because I'm a fan. But I'd never say they were good albums - they're all fatally flawed!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:03:14 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »

Balls in your court - go rep for MIU, LA, KTSA, or SIP without resorting to 'Brian wrote it', 'it's good for the time', 'Carl/Al/Dennis saves this song', 'there's worse to come' 'in spite of the production', or any other thousands of excuses fans make for those absolutely awful albums. Do it. If you listen to it for the sole reason that it's by The Beach Boys, you're not listening because it's 'good', it's fan service. I don't have to spend my precious life listening to Keeping The Summer Alive just because it's by The BB's when I honestly think it's crap.

Who said I had to like everything they did, anyway?

IMO, those albums have about five or six tracks of any worth between them (I didn't mention BB85 because, well, I like BB85). The rest I'd listen to out of curiosity or a sense of duty, because I'm a fan. But I'd never say they were good albums - they're all fatally flawed!
Wow, pretty presumptuous of you to have everything so worked out; like our good and bad taste. I really love the L.A. (Light Album). I always kind of considered it a "Friends" type album. Here Comes The Night sticks out similar to Transcendental Meditation, but on the whole it is a nice chill out album, with more of a true Beach Boys singing style. I bought this album on the day of release and loved it ever since. So, please don't tell me that I like it out of duty. If you want to go on thinking that all these albums are fatally flawed, then be my guest, but there are some us here who don't feel that way at all. For the most part I find redeeming values in all of the albums. You know, we say here that Carl's voice was/is so great that he could sing the phone book and it would sound great. Well, I find this to be true on some of the lesser songs on these albums. They may not all be great songs, but in just about all cases there is great singing, and that is and always has been my main reason for my rabid fandom of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:36:09 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

MIU through SIP is awful, I cannot listen to the bad vocals and production even though I am a hardcore fan. Carl couldn't save these albums with a circa 1966 voice.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »

MIU through SIP is awful, I cannot listen to the bad vocals and production even though I am a hardcore fan. Carl couldn't save these albums with a circa 1966 voice.
Then don't, is all I can say.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »

drbeachboy, why must we fight?

That's not a bad reason, tbf - although surely you must concede that, say, MIU has some of the ropiest singing on any Beach Boys record?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »

I would say BB85, while better than the last two albums, had bad vocals due to the fairlight and Steve Levine being no BW when vocal arrangement.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »

That's not a bad reason, tbf - although surely you must concede that, say, MIU has some of the ropiest singing on any Beach Boys record?
I hate fighting too, but when I read stuff like what you wrote above, it just bothers me. I like what I like, and I don't like being told that it is because it's through a sense of duty that I like it. Think about it?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »

I know of a few older fans then myself who liked MIU a helluva lot more than Love You or 15 Big Ones. Mainly, because it sounds more like the Beach Boys of the early & mid-60's. For years, my older brother who got me into the band in the first place, really never cared for anything but the hits from Pet Sounds through Holland. He only went back to them after he listened to my copy of 15 Big Ones back in 1976. He is not a big fan of Love You either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »

This post has nothing to do with The Beatles; maybe there should be another thread.

I'm one of the older fans. I like the albums MIU through TWGMTR, some more than others, of course. And, yes, I suppose I like some of the songs, or should I say I gave them more of a chance because they were Beach Boys' songs.

That being said, and it pains me to say this...but you could take away every song after Love You, including "Kokomo" - maybe every song after "Good Vibrations" - and it would barely have an effect on The Beach Boys' legacy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »

This post has nothing to do with The Beatles; maybe there should be another thread.

I'm one of the older fans. I like the albums MIU through TWGMTR, some more than others, of course. And, yes, I suppose I like some of the songs, or should I say I gave them more of a chance because they were Beach Boys' songs.

That being said, and it pains me to say this...but you could take away every song after Love You, including "Kokomo" - maybe every song after "Good Vibrations" - and it would barely have an effect on The Beach Boys' legacy.
You are absolutely correct. So, we should enjoy what we have or not.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:46:56 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »

I'm a sucker for anything by the beach boys. L.A album, M.I.U, I can stand them all.

I actually love KTSA and BB85, Two favorites of mine.

As for Awesoman's post. I disagree with most of it, not surprising though...we're on a Beach Boys message board.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »

Tbh, after getting into The Beach Boys I more or less completely abandoned the Rawwwkk scene in music, both old and new. Beach Boys and good pop rule the roost in these ears!
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

I'm a sucker for sadomasochism.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »

I'm a sucker for sadomasochism.

Well, that too...

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

As for Awesoman's post. I disagree with most of it, not surprising though...we're on a Beach Boys message board.

Just trying to look at both bands objectively.  The Beatles' albums were in general superior; they had little to no filler on their albums where the Beach Boys had a fair share of it.  There are only a small handful of Beach Boys albums as a whole that could stand up to the best Beatles albums. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »

I'm a sucker for anything by the beach boys. L.A album, M.I.U, I can stand them all.

I actually love KTSA and BB85, Two favorites of mine.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »

Just trying to look at both bands objectively.  The Beatles' albums were in general superior; they had little to no filler on their albums where the Beach Boys had a fair share of it.  There are only a small handful of Beach Boys albums as a whole that could stand up to the best Beatles albums.  

This is far from objective, sorry. This is just your opinion. I can prove its just your opinion because I think the opposite. Apart from a few Lennon songs, I just don't get what the fuss is about. As far as I'm concerned the Beach Boys had the Beatles licked by the opening bars of Surfer Girl.

You're welcome to disagree, but don't tell me yours is an objective view.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:51:44 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »

OK I'll clarify:

As a Beach Boys fan, I'm looking at these albums objectively. Sure I love the Beach Boys, but I'm not simply going to give them the nod because they're my favorite band. And that's what being objective is all about: not letting your personal feelings and opinions affect your judgement.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »

Although I care not for these threads and only wish canker sores on those who clutter our message forum, I'll cave and participate on this one.  Here goes:

Early 63:Surfing USA vs Please Please Me

Please Please Me.  Sorry, but have you tried actually listening to early Beach Boys stuff?!  Yikes.

late 63: Little Douce Coupe vs With the Beatles

With The Beatles.  The Beatles' sophomore album had a variety of different songs to listen to; whereas with Little Deuce Coupe, you had a number of car songs.  Most of which were instantly forgettable.

Early 64: Shut Down II vs Meet the Beatles

Shut Down, Vol. II.  This is where the Beach Boys albums start to take a little shape and provide some memorable material.  The Beatles first Capitol Records venture offers songs we've already heard, only with a crappy toilet-bowl stereo mix.

mid 64: All Summer Long vs Hard Days Night

A Hard Day's Night.  Sorry Beach Boys, while All Summer Long has some classic songs on it, it also has a lot of filler.  A Hard Day's Night?  Nothing *but* classic hits, and absolutely no filler!  And it doesn't hurt that this was the soundtrack to a classic movie as well.

late 64: Christmas LP vs Beatles for Sale

Beatles For Sale.  The Christmas album is great, but only worth listening to during the holidays.

mid 65: Today and SDSN vs Help!

A three-way tie.  This one's a bit unfair.  You're comparing two of the Beach Boys best pre-Pet Sounds albums against one Beatles album?  Had it not been for said Beatles' album containing the most covered pop song of all time on it, the edge might have gone to the Beach Boys.

late 65: Party vs Rubber Soul

Now this one is totally unfair.  Rubber Soul all the way.

mid 66: Pet Sounds vs Revolver

Pet Sounds.  But this is really a tougher call than you'd think.

mid 67: SMiLE sessions vs Sgt Pepper

Sgt. Pepper.  Sorry, but the Beatles actually *finished* their masterpiece.  All the SMiLE boxsets in the world ain't gonna finish the album.  Had it actually been completed and released like it should have, this would be a much more interesting comparison.

late 67: Smiley Smile and Wild Honey vs Magical Mystery Tour

Magical Mystery Tour.  Even though a couple songs on there are generally regarded as filler, the Beatles' album also contained several of Lennon's best (and weirdest) songs.  Sure, the Beach Boys had "Good Vibrations", but this is where the decline began. 

68: Friends vs White Album

The Beatles (White Album).  Interesting to see the directions both bands were taking with their respective albums, but this is really like pitting a puppy up against Godzilla.  Friends offered light pleasantries, but at this point they were no longer competitive with the Beatles.

69: 20/20 vs Abbey Road

Abbey Road.  Nothing against 20/20; it just suffers from some spottiness when compared to the Beatles' unofficial swan song. 

70: Sunflower vs Let it Be

Sunflower.  A true group effort by the Beach Boys.  And while none of the songs here are as memorable as some of the stuff on Let It Be, you could tell the effort was much more present with the Beach Boys. 

So yeah, I'm giving a lot of edge towards the Beatles.  Their albums just managed to be more all-around consistent.  That's not to say the Beach Boys albums they were being compared to were bad; it's just something magical was going on with the Beatles and they made few mistakes along the way.

You are right to your own opinion, but I feel that the Beatles had plenty of rubbish filler before Rubber Soul. Hard Days Night and Help were better, but still had filler. I think Sgt Pepper had a filler song as well in When I'm 64. Lots of rubbish on the White Album and Let it Be as well. But yes, I agree, the Beach Boys had a lot of filler in the early days, like everyone else. But from All Summer Long til Holland, they didn't have a lot IMO. Save for 20/20.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »

You're right there. Sgt Pepper is full of what I would class as filler. Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning, and that dreadful track that sounds like you're sitting in an Indian restaurant. This is supposed to be their masterpiece!
I quite like Lucy In The Sky and Mr Kite, but I've never been that impressed by Day In The Life. Compare that awful string bit with Mrs O'Leary's Cow, It's just shite.  Even in it''s unfinished state, Smile urinates on this overrated pile of crud from a great height.

In my opinion of course......... Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »

MTR, just out of curiosity, which 20/20 cuts do you consider "filler"?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »

You're right there. Sgt Pepper is full of what I would class as filler. Lovely Rita, Good Morning Good Morning, and that dreadful track that sounds like you're sitting in an Indian restaurant. This is supposed to be their masterpiece!
I quite like Lucy In The Sky and Mr Kite, but I've never been that impressed by Day In The Life. Compare that awful string bit with Mrs O'Leary's Cow, It's just shite.  Even in it''s unfinished state, Smile urinates on this overrated pile of crud from a great height.

In my opinion of course......... Wink

Man, reading Beach Boys nutters' opinions of Beatles music makes me laugh.
Sgt Pepper is a masterpiece. Opinion or fact. Its music - superb music, brilliantly written, performed, arranged, engineered and so on.

Comparing the Beatles and Beach Boys is almost pointless.
Its like comparing the sun and the moon.

Shine On
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »

"Are you telling me you think the Atlantic is a better ocean than the Pacific?"
- Radio Days
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: