gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:56:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #14 Winner: LET IT BE  (Read 25990 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »

Getting harder.
Have to go with Two of Us.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2018, 07:14:41 PM »

Get Back
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »

get back
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »

Two of us
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »

Currently running a tie between Get Back and Two of Us.

Next  new vote for either of those wins!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

Get Back

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »

get backkkkkk

(edit, oooops already voted!!!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:21:27 PM by Gabo » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »

Across the Universe.  I hate it
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

Across the Universe.  I hate it
Cheesy Me too!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 06:21:45 AM »

The final album (recorded before the final album... if that makes any sense). I prefer Let It Be... Naked... But there it is!  3D

Let It Be topped albums charts in both America and the UK, and the "Let It Be" single and "The Long and Winding Road" also reached number one in the US. Despite its commercial success, according to Beatles Diary author Keith Badman, "reviews [were] not good".[28] NME critic Alan Smith wrote: "If the new Beatles' soundtrack is to be their last then it will stand as a cheapskate epitaph, a cardboard tombstone, a sad and tatty end to a musical fusion which wiped clean and drew again the face of pop."[29] Smith added that the album showed "contempt for the intelligence of today's record-buyer" and that the Beatles had "sold out all the principles for which they ever stood".[30] Reviewing for Rolling Stone, John Mendelsohn was also critical of the album, citing Spector's production embellishments as a weakness: "Musically, boys, you passed the audition. In terms of having the judgment to avoid either over-producing yourselves or casting the fate of your get-back statement to the most notorious of all over-producers, you didn't."[31]

However, John Gabree of High Fidelity magazine found the album "not nearly as bad as the movie" and "positively wonderful" relative to the recent solo releases by McCartney and Starr. Gabree admired "Let It Be", "Get Back" and "Two of Us", but derided "Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe", the last of which he described as "bloated and self-satisfied – the kind of song we've come to expect from these rich, privileged prototeenagers".[32] While questioning whether the Beatles' split would remain permanent, William Mann of The Times described Let It Be as "Not a breakthrough record, unless for the predominance of informal, unedited live takes; but definitely a record to give lasting pleasure. They aren't having to scrape the barrel yet."[33] In his review for The Sunday Times, Derek Jewell deemed the album to be "a last will and testament, from the blackly funereal packaging to the music itself, which sums up so much of what The Beatles as artists have been – unmatchably brilliant at their best, careless and self-indulgent at their least."[33]

In a retrospective review, Richie Unterberger of AllMusic described Let It Be as the "only Beatles album to occasion negative, even hostile reviews", but felt that it was "on the whole underrated". He singles out "some good moments of straight hard rock in 'I've Got a Feeling' and 'Dig a Pony'", and praises "Let It Be", "Get Back", and "the folky 'Two of Us', with John and Paul harmonising together".[34] Despite a mixed review from Rolling Stone at the time of its release, the album was ranked number 86 in the magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003[35] but was moved down to number 392 in the 2012 version.[36]

13 votes spread across 3 tracks!

6 smilers overwhelmingly decided it was time to make Jojo get back to Arizona.

FINAL THREE TIME!!!

Vote for the song which you feel deserves the title of SURVIVOR from Let It Be.

Again, VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE REMAINING TRACK!!!

Tally on February 11

Two of Us
Across the Universe
Let It Be

Round#1 Dig It Jan 12
Round#2 Maggie Mae Jan 14
Round#3 For You Blue Jan 18
Round#4 Dig A Pony Jan 21
Round#5 One After 909 Jan 24
Round#6 I've Got A Feeling Jan 28
Round#7 The Long and Winding Road Jan 31
Round#8 I Me Mine Feb 5
Round#9 Get Back Feb 8

I love Two of Us. I am glad it made it to the final three. But it's not my favorite.

I SUPER love Across The Universe. (I prefer the version on the Wildlife single with the Apple Scruffs singing backup with Paul and George).

So, predictably, I am voting for Let It Be. It really is a powerhouse track from Paul. Such a moving song. He was truly inspired.

Get your VOTE on!

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
The Beatles Survivor #11 Winner: WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
The Beatles Survivor #12 Winner: HELTER SKELTER
The Beatles Survivor #13 Winner: HERE COMES THE SUN
KDS
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 06:23:42 AM »

Tough one, yet again. 

I love Two of Us. 

I actually prefer the single version of Let It Be

So, my vote goes to Across the Universe.   Great song.  Terrible idea for a movie. 
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »

I've got to go with Let it Be as my favorite, although I really love Two of Us.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:14 AM »

Let It Be.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

let it be

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

two of us
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »

"Let It Be"

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »

Let It Be

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »

Let it Be
bluesno1fann
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »

Let It Be
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »

This is tough, but I'll go with Across the Universe.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:57:57 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »

The final album (recorded before the final album... if that makes any sense). I prefer Let It Be... Naked... But there it is!  3D

Let It Be topped albums charts in both America and the UK, and the "Let It Be" single and "The Long and Winding Road" also reached number one in the US. Despite its commercial success, according to Beatles Diary author Keith Badman, "reviews [were] not good".[28] NME critic Alan Smith wrote: "If the new Beatles' soundtrack is to be their last then it will stand as a cheapskate epitaph, a cardboard tombstone, a sad and tatty end to a musical fusion which wiped clean and drew again the face of pop."[29] Smith added that the album showed "contempt for the intelligence of today's record-buyer" and that the Beatles had "sold out all the principles for which they ever stood".[30] Reviewing for Rolling Stone, John Mendelsohn was also critical of the album, citing Spector's production embellishments as a weakness: "Musically, boys, you passed the audition. In terms of having the judgment to avoid either over-producing yourselves or casting the fate of your get-back statement to the most notorious of all over-producers, you didn't."[31]

However, John Gabree of High Fidelity magazine found the album "not nearly as bad as the movie" and "positively wonderful" relative to the recent solo releases by McCartney and Starr. Gabree admired "Let It Be", "Get Back" and "Two of Us", but derided "Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe", the last of which he described as "bloated and self-satisfied – the kind of song we've come to expect from these rich, privileged prototeenagers".[32] While questioning whether the Beatles' split would remain permanent, William Mann of The Times described Let It Be as "Not a breakthrough record, unless for the predominance of informal, unedited live takes; but definitely a record to give lasting pleasure. They aren't having to scrape the barrel yet."[33] In his review for The Sunday Times, Derek Jewell deemed the album to be "a last will and testament, from the blackly funereal packaging to the music itself, which sums up so much of what The Beatles as artists have been – unmatchably brilliant at their best, careless and self-indulgent at their least."[33]

In a retrospective review, Richie Unterberger of AllMusic described Let It Be as the "only Beatles album to occasion negative, even hostile reviews", but felt that it was "on the whole underrated". He singles out "some good moments of straight hard rock in 'I've Got a Feeling' and 'Dig a Pony'", and praises "Let It Be", "Get Back", and "the folky 'Two of Us', with John and Paul harmonising together".[34] Despite a mixed review from Rolling Stone at the time of its release, the album was ranked number 86 in the magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003[35] but was moved down to number 392 in the 2012 version.[36]

11 votes spread across 3 tracks!

1 smiler believed there was only the Two of Us.

2 smilers believed the best was out catching falling words from Across the Universe in a paper cup.

But there can only be one Survivor. 8 smilers felt that Mother Mary had some pretty good stuff to say in....

!!!! L E T   I T   B E !!!
Round#1 Dig It Jan 12
Round#2 Maggie Mae Jan 14
Round#3 For You Blue Jan 18
Round#4 Dig A Pony Jan 21
Round#5 One After 909 Jan 24
Round#6 I've Got A Feeling Jan 28
Round#7 The Long and Winding Road Jan 31
Round#8 I Me Mine Feb 5
Round#9 Get Back Feb 8
Round#10 Two of Us Feb 11
Round#10 Across the Universe Feb 11

Thank you all for playing. Next round we will be voting off two songs a round between the Psychedelic Period (which I'll call Piccadilly) and the Hey Jude period (Which I'll call Twickenham).

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
The Beatles Survivor #11 Winner: WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
The Beatles Survivor #12 Winner: HELTER SKELTER
The Beatles Survivor #13 Winner: HERE COMES THE SUN
The Beatles Survivor #14 Winner: LET IT BE
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:44:47 AM by pixletwin » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »

Pirate Cooly cool the longest Survivor White Album resulted in Paul's rocking "Helter Skelter"s win! 3D & now the last album's win is "Let It Be"! 3D

Well played, folks. Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx