gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:59:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING  (Read 26835 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »

Here we go. The Beatles sophomore album.

With the Beatles is the second studio album by the English rock group the Beatles. It was released on 22 November 1963, on Parlophone, and was recorded four months after the band's debut Please Please Me. The album features eight original compositions (seven by Lennon–McCartney and "Don't Bother Me", George Harrison's first recorded solo composition and his first released on a Beatles album) and six covers (mostly of Motown, rock and roll, and R&B hits). The cover photograph was taken by the fashion photographer Robert Freeman, and it has been mimicked by several music groups over the years.

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on September 26th.

It Won't Be Long
All I've Got To Do
All My Loving
Don't Bother Me
Little Child
'Till There Was You
Please Mister Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
Hold Me Tight
You Really Got A Hold On Me
I Wanna Be Your Man
Devil In Her Heart
Not A Second Time
Money (That's What I Want)

Following on the heels of the success of their first album, the Beatles were anxious to not rock the boat so they kept the general formula that seemed to work so well on Please Please Me. Though they took more time to record it.

My first pick is an easy one. Sort of. I think Hold Me Tight is probably the weakest Lennon/McCartney song in the entire Beatles oeuvre. However, George Harrison's first attempt at song writing isn't exactly a shining moment... But which to vote off?

Ultimately, Hold Me Tight is fun. The hand claps give it energy and I kind of dig that galloping rhythm. Whereas Don't Bother Me is heavy. It has some interesting guitar work. But Harrison's vocal and overdubs are pretty messy.

I'll vote Don't Bother Me.

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:01:29 PM by pixletwin » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »

Had to think what to shoo away 1st - "All I've got to do" & "You really got a hold". 2 songs that would rather not exist. Dilemma.

"You really got a hold".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »

oh Range! I really dig 'got a hold'.  I would axe half of these songs.  Almost my least favourite
album by the group. 
firstly, let's dump 'little child'.
lock it in.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »

I listened to this album very closely last night and figured out my bottom five...well, there's no question who the leader of the group was at this stage, John. Paul sings less than he had on Please Please Me while George sings more. I hadn't noticed that before. I was probably too busy listening to You Really Got A Hold On Me Grin Anyway, all of my bottom five feature Paul, George, or Ringo on lead vocal. Starting with...

Till There Was You

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »

This is such a good album.  But "Little Child" stands out as the weakest track.

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »

Lots of irrelevant tracks on here, but my least favorite is Little Child.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

The album cover is stylish, black & white & everything. It is weak song, "Little child", I like it because it's joyful & short. "Till there was you" is Paul's best lead in the album. & it's beautiful, kind of. "Don't bother me" is boring.
Top 3 imo "Mr. Postman", "Money"*, "Devil in her heart".

*superior version by The Rolling Stones.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »

As much as I like this album, there are quite a few weak tracks to choose from.... Guess I'll go with I Wanna Be Your Man, a version which was totally blown away by the Stones version (ditto Money)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »

Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Cool username, Rei. 3D

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 06:50:55 PM »

Was it intentional for this thread to start on the 53rd anniversary of the album's release?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »

Was it intentional for this thread to start on the 53rd anniversary of the album's release?

Wow. No. Just a bit of serendipity.  Wink
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »

Umm.... I'm pretty sure that the album was originally released on the same day that JFK was assassinated
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »

I'd never noticed how many of my least favorite Beatles songs are on this album. Probably because I don't listen to the early Beatles much and when I was young and did listen more to the early Beatles, I had the US albums.
I do really like a few songs here though.
I'm going to go with the growing consensus for worst: Little Child
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »

Ok, it was released on NOVEMBER 22. Not September. Ah well.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »

Ok, it was released on NOVEMBER 22. Not September. Ah well.

pixletwin,  Guess not everybody is reading your intro quote box which clearly states the release date.  You fell for it too!  ouch!  Just any ol' 22 won't do. Razz

I love this album, but as with many of us here - grew up with Capitol's Meet The Beatles!.  I didn't hear the British counterpart until 1970, although I had read the track listing in 1964.  To this day I have a problem with "Money" placed as the last track.  I also believe Meet The Beatles! is a much stronger set of songs than The Beatles Second Album.  Most people do not agree with that.  "Money" was given no important place on the second Capitol Beatles album.  And, as BE pointed out, George's numbers were tossed to the second American album.  John had strong numbers on both albums, 'cause, well, John was just the best of the bunch.

I tend to play those first two volumes of the American albums when I listen to the early songs, but I have the big box Apple/UMe released using the mix of non-American versions of some songs.  Of those that have that box, has anybody taken the time to play The Beatles Story?  I haven't.  Not even once, and it's one of the very few Beatles albums I do not own on original vinyl, don't have the Rock'n'Roll comp either.  Yeah, 1964 was the last time I heard "the story"-

One of the things I do love about the way with the beatles was put together is opening with "It Won't Be Long" and "All I've Got To Do" - two of Lennon's strongest early songs.  Again, given no special place by Capitol on Meet The Beatles!. Wasn't that just their way? Wink   "Don't Bother Me" was my favorite George song until 1968, when it was finally equaled by his white album offerings, though I love "The Inner Light" and all of his songs from Yellow Submarine.  I'm going to guess the George and Ringo songs from every era will be under the wheels of the Magical Mystery Tour bus quickly.  I hope you do Past Masters or the Hey Jude comp in this game, pixletwin.  That's where you will find my favorite George track, ever.

Okay. let me vote.  My least favorite track on this album is "Till There Was You"  -I'll color-code my selections from now on, so as to be easily seen when you are scanning back thru doing the count.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Umm.... I'm pretty sure that the album was originally released on the same day that JFK was assassinated

Good on ya.  Leave it to an Australian to correct us yanks!  I like your new avatar and user-name, too.

I also see a running argument developing...  "Money" -My favorite version is by The Beatles.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »

Of those that have that box, has anybody taken the time to play The Beatles Story?  I haven't.  Not even once, and it's one of the very few Beatles albums I do not own on original vinyl, don't have the Rock'n'Roll comp either.  Yeah, 1964 was the last time I heard "the story"-

I forgot all about The Beatles Story. That was re-released? Fun.

I hope you do Past Masters or the Hey Jude comp in this game, pixletwin.  That's where you will find my favorite George track, ever.

doowow doo doo doo
me too!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »

Hey Emily,  Yeah, when they released the big box of all the American albums they stuck that in there to be complete.  Has Hey Jude album, too.  The covers were done better than on the first two volumes as well, HELP! has a gate-fold cover.  Full of neat stuff, you get both of the Yesterday...and Today covers.  You can buy individual albums from this box.  Check it out.

Have a fun week-end, everybody.  -Will

bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »

Whoops, my mistake   Undecided
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »

Seems like "Little child" will go. It's 26th. Time for next round. police
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:12:02 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »

Here we go. The Beatles sophomore album.

With the Beatles is the second studio album by the English rock group the Beatles. It was released on 22 November 1963, on Parlophone, and was recorded four months after the band's debut Please Please Me. The album features eight original compositions (seven by Lennon–McCartney and "Don't Bother Me", George Harrison's first recorded solo composition and his first released on a Beatles album) and six covers (mostly of Motown, rock and roll, and R&B hits). The cover photograph was taken by the fashion photographer Robert Freeman, and it has been mimicked by several music groups over the years.

Voting was pretty evenly spread out. 3 smilers voted to put the Little Child out to the orphanage. 

As usual vote for your least favorite track. The track with the most votes gets voted off.

Tally on October 2.

It Won't Be Long
All I've Got To Do
All My Loving
Don't Bother Me
'Till There Was You
Please Mister Postman
Roll Over Beethoven
Hold Me Tight
You Really Got A Hold On Me
I Wanna Be Your Man
Devil In Her Heart
Not A Second Time
Money (That's What I Want)

Following on the heels of the success of their first album, the Beatles were anxious to not rock the boat so they kept the general formula that seemed to work so well on Please Please Me. Though they took more time to record it.

Round#1 Little Child September 27

My first pick is an easy one. Sort of. I think Hold Me Tight is probably the weakest Lennon/McCartney song in the entire Beatles oeuvre. However, George Harrison's first attempt at song writing isn't exactly a shining moment... But which to vote off?

Ultimately, Hold Me Tight is fun. The hand claps give it energy and I kind of dig that galloping rhythm. Whereas Don't Bother Me is heavy. It has some interesting guitar work. But Harrison's vocal and overdubs are pretty messy.

I'll  STILL vote Don't Bother Me.

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »

Devil In Her Heart - not a bad song, just one of the more forgettable covers the band did.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »

Till There Was You

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:37 PM »

'Til There Was You
bluesno1fann
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »

I Wanna Be Your Man

Till There Was You is one of my favourites off this album....
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx