gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:32:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #11 Winner: WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS!!!  (Read 35495 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

The writing was clearly on the wall. This was the beginning of the end...

We are going to split the album in two, so round #11 is Disc 1 and round #12 will be Disc 2.

The Beatles, also known as the White Album, is the ninth studio album by English rock group the Beatles, released on 22 November 1968. A double album, its plain white sleeve has no graphics or text other than the band's name embossed,[a] which was intended as a direct contrast to the vivid cover artwork of the band's earlier Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although no singles were issued from The Beatles in Britain and the United States, the songs "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" originated from the same recording sessions and were issued on a single in August 1968. The album's songs range in style from British blues and ska to tracks influenced by Chuck Berry and by Karlheinz Stockhausen.

On release, The Beatles received favourable reviews from the majority of music critics, but other commentators found its satirical songs unimportant and apolitical amid the turbulent political and social climate of 1968. The band and Martin have since debated whether the group should have released a single album instead. Nonetheless, The Beatles reached number one on the charts in both the United Kingdom and the United States and has since been viewed by some critics as one of the greatest albums of all time.

Welcome to a new round. We are entering the final stretch of the Beatles main catalog. Please remember to vote off which of the tracks is your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

There are a ton of tracks on this one!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tally on August 6

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
I Will
Julia

First round is an easy pick for me. This song comes across more as a pastiche than an actual song. Despite the title's possible tie-in to the Beach Boys, my vote is Wild Honey Pie.

Vote! VOTE!  V O T E ! ! ! ! !

3D

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:39:29 PM by pixletwin » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »

Hmm, can't decide between Wild Honey Pie and Don't Pass Me By. I like both, but I don't love them. At least Wild Honey Pie doesn't overstay it's welcome...at 3:50 Don't Pass Me By is the 3rd longest song on disc 1. I kind of like the Anthology version which is shorter, stripped-down, and Ringo talks over the fade. I don't like the sped up mono version.

Well, I'll reluctantly choose Don't Pass Me By.

I'm a big fan of Good Night. Even if the Beatles had released the White Album as a single LP, I think Good Night should have closed it. I think it's a perfect way to end the album and give Ringo a lead vocal. Perhaps if John and George were more involved, Don't Pass Me By would have turned out a little better?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:13:54 PM »

Easy first round.  Wild Honey Pie, easily IMO the best argument on disc one for The White Album being a single album.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »

There are several certified clunkers in this bunch.
Wild Honey Pie has got to go.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Wild Honey Pie
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »

Wild Honey is a great song.

Wild  Honey Pie is not a great one, so my vote goes against that.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

I'll concur with Wild Honey Pie, I guess.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »

I would've definitely done the whole album instead of 2 parts.

My first choice regardless of how it was done would be Wild Honey Pie.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »

Only 8 smilers playing? Where is everyone? Luckily I won't have time to tally and post until tonight.

Where are you folks?
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »

I think maybe there are too many ambiguous tracks on this album for some people to vote. Some songs - like, say, Rocky Raccoon - I can't decide if it's a good song or a bad song. I mean, I kinda like it in a goofy sort of way, but I also recognize that's it's not like some sort of major work of art. So do I vote for it sooner, or later? Probably half the songs on the list are like that, at least to me.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »

Wild Honey Pie also for me. It's sort of interesting, but it barely even feels like a real song. It's just so....weird, which isn't unusual for The Beatles, but it's also not very good, which is unusual for them.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »

I think maybe there are too many ambiguous tracks on this album for some people to vote. Some songs - like, say, Rocky Raccoon - I can't decide if it's a good song or a bad song. I mean, I kinda like it in a goofy sort of way, but I also recognize that's it's not like some sort of major work of art. So do I vote for it sooner, or later? Probably half the songs on the list are like that, at least to me.

But you aren't supposed to vote off which is a "BAD" song. You vote off which one you enjoy the least. You can't think of it as if you were declaring your everlasting hate for a song when you vote off.

It's a game. Have fun.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 09:48:55 AM »

We are going to split the album in two, so round #11 is Disc 1 and round #12 will be Disc 2.

The Beatles, also known as the White Album, is the ninth studio album by English rock group the Beatles, released on 22 November 1968. A double album, its plain white sleeve has no graphics or text other than the band's name embossed,[a] which was intended as a direct contrast to the vivid cover artwork of the band's earlier Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although no singles were issued from The Beatles in Britain and the United States, the songs "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" originated from the same recording sessions and were issued on a single in August 1968. The album's songs range in style from British blues and ska to tracks influenced by Chuck Berry and by Karlheinz Stockhausen.

On release, The Beatles received favourable reviews from the majority of music critics, but other commentators found its satirical songs unimportant and apolitical amid the turbulent political and social climate of 1968. The band and Martin have since debated whether the group should have released a single album instead. Nonetheless, The Beatles reached number one on the charts in both the United Kingdom and the United States and has since been viewed by some critics as one of the greatest albums of all time.

9 smilers voted for 2 songs.

Wild Honey Pie was thrown up and out.

Welcome to a new round. We are entering the final stretch of the Beatles main catalog. Please remember to vote off which of the tracks is your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Tally on August 10

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
I Will
Julia

Round#1 Wild Honey Pie August 7

Glass Onion or Don't Pass Me By? I think I am more charmed by Don't Pass Me By, so Glass Onion it is. (I think John would agree).  LOL

3D

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »

Piggies
KDS
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »

I'm also going with Piggies. 

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »

(Don't) Pass Me By

Every wave is new until it breaks.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »

Mmm. Tough choice. Ringo's song is nice, but it always seemed like a low point on the album to me. Just a pleasant country song, but nothing that great. Then again, as much as I like certain parts of Piggies (the harpsichord is lovely), it's one of the songs I listen to the least on the album as well, and given how strong George's other songs are, it always seemed like a disappointment. Just too lightweight.

I'll go with Piggies
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

I'm So Tired
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »

Piggies
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »

Don't Pass Me By
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

9 smilers voted for 5 songs.

I spied 4 smilers clutching forks and knives to eat their bacon!

Tally on August 12

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Blackbird
Rocky Raccoon
Don't Pass Me By
I Will
Julia

Round#1 Wild Honey Pie August 7
Round#2 Piggies August 10

Glass Onion or Don't Pass Me By? I think I am more charmed by Don't Pass Me By, so Glass Onion it is. (I think John would agree). Second round in a row. LOL

3D

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS