gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:31:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL  (Read 33032 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »

Here we go. Beatlemania is now in full swing.

The title of the album was the accidental creation of drummer Ringo Starr.[5] According to Lennon in a 1980 interview with Playboy magazine: "I was going home in the car and Dick Lester [director of the movie] suggested the title, 'Hard Day's Night' from something Ringo had said. I had used it in 'In His Own Write', but it was an off-the-cuff remark by Ringo. You know, one of those malapropisms. A Ringo-ism, where he said it not to be funny ... just said it. So Dick Lester said, 'We are going to use that title.'"

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Tally on the November 19.

A Hard Day's Night
I Should Have Known Better
If I Fell
I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
And I Love Her
Tell Me Why
Can't Buy Me Love
Anytime  At All
I'll  Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
When I Get  Home
You Can't Do That
I'll Be Back

Hands down. Easy first vote for me. Although it's a Lennon/McCartney song, "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" is about as awful as a LenMac song could get.

VOTE VOTE VOTE
 3D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:20:18 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Scaroline No
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »

Voting tracks off A Hard Day's Night is going to be like chopping off body parts, lol.

I'm Happy Just to Dance With You is the only no-brainer for sure.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »

I have two that are about tied for least good. I'll choose Happy Just to Dance With You because it seems like the friendly thing to do.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:49 PM »

2Emily: what's the other?
2SCaroline Z: then question is what? bust? toes? In any case, read this running gag million times. Every time was boring.

I like "I'm happy". It's very charming vocal. I think even non-George fans could like it.
My least favorite is "Anytime at all".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

When I Get Home
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »

2SCaroline Z: then question is what? bust? toes? In any case, read this running gag million times. Every time was boring.

I like "I'm happy". It's very charming vocal. I think even non-George fans could like it.

That is some backwards thinking. "Anytime At All" is the best song.  LOL

Come on.

"Before this dance is thu
I think I'll love you too.
I'm so happy when you dance with me!"

Those are some of the most banal lyrics John Lennon ever wrote.

"I don't wanna squeeze or hold you hand.
if it's funny try and understand.
There is really nothing I would rather do.
I've discovered I'm in love you."

Guuuuh.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »

I don't like songs for lyrics. I like its melody & like I said, George's charming vocal - I now say it 3rd time Roll Eyes . It weirds me out when people 1st pay attention to lyrics in song, then the rest. & you'd think the music & vocals is most important thing in any song.

"Anytime at all" I don't like at all. It goes back when I used to be huge Beatles fan, around 2010.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:58:20 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »

I don't really like the chorus of Anytime at All but I like the verses.
You'll have to wait to see what my other least favorite is!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »

I don't like songs for lyrics. I like its melody & like I said, George's charming vocal - I now say it 3rd time Roll Eyes . It weirds me out when people 1st pay attention to lyrics in song, then the rest. & you'd think the music & vocals is most important thing in any song.

"Anytime at all" I don't like at all. It goes back when I used to be huge Beatles fan, around 2010.

Even the melody is banal. It noodles around in a very limited range and never goes anywhere but that it's obvious. Just my opinion of course.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »

Hmm I don't know what to vote for!

In general, the songs on the 2nd half of the album are weaker than the ones on the 1st half, so I'll choose a semi-random 2nd half song: Things We Said Today. I think I'll vote for it only because it reminds me of the Hollies song "Bus Stop" ... which isn't a bad song, mind you, but I gotta come up with a reason to vote for something, and I guess choosing a song that sounds like another song is as good a reason as any!
Scaroline No
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

Well I'm still pretty new here so I hope you'll forgive me for what I see now could be an old and boring joke. Having said that, in answer to your question, losing I'm Just Happy to Dance With You is the equivalent of losing a fingernail, to pick a random "I can live without it" body part.

It weirds me out when people 1st pay attention to lyrics in song, then the rest. & you'd think the music & vocals is most important thing in any song.

The wonderful thing about music, or any art form for that matter, is that the listener/observer gets to take what they want from it and enjoy it on whatever level is most pleasing to them. If lyrics are the most important thing to someone, that is entirely valid. Just as someone not caring for lyrics is also valid.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:55:01 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »

Would have to go with Anytime at All.
If pressed for time and can't listen to the whole album, this would be one I skip over.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:23 PM »

NOLA, you're pal. Emily, you're half-pal.

SCaroline Z, it's not about you, I just don't like when people say this "chopping off" thing. It's just game. You can go listen to album start finish, the songs wouldn't magically disappear.

Re music vs. lyrics, we'll agree to disagree. I've yet to see smb. who will say the lyrics is what they care for. Usually they praise them in conjunction with melody/arrangement/vocals. In a song, by its very definition, you can't seriously say that lyrics is most important thing there. Then just as well read the poem. Check the lyrics site etc.

pixletwin, your opinion. To me "To Dance with you" is very joyful. "Anytime" is downer.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:33:31 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »

"Anytime At All" which I've always thought was too similar to "When I Get Home" which is also one of the weaker tracks on the album (that will be my next choice to go).

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »

"I'm Happy Just To Dance With You"

You convinced me with the lyric.  This should be the first to go.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »

love them all, but ...... Sad anytime at all for now

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 06:06:24 AM »

I'm happy just to dance with you
KDS
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »

The first great Beatles album IMO.

I'm voting for You Can't Do That.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »

Can't Buy Me Love
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »

Here we go. Beatlemania is now in full swing.

The title of the album was the accidental creation of drummer Ringo Starr.[5] According to Lennon in a 1980 interview with Playboy magazine: "I was going home in the car and Dick Lester [director of the movie] suggested the title, 'Hard Day's Night' from something Ringo had said. I had used it in 'In His Own Write', but it was an off-the-cuff remark by Ringo. You know, one of those malapropisms. A Ringo-ism, where he said it not to be funny ... just said it. So Dick Lester said, 'We are going to use that title.'"

This first round was pretty hotly contested. And it was close!

1 vote for When I Get Home, Things We Said Today, Can't Buy Me Love, and You Can't Do That. Four votes for Anytime At All. (Still boggles my mind that anyone would call that a "downer". It's someone saying to another that no matter what happens I will always be there for you. Quite inspiring if you ask me!) In the end, 5 smilers just couldn't be happy Just To Dance With You.

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!

Tally on the November 22.

A Hard Day's Night
I Should Have Known Better
If I Fell
And I Love Her
Tell Me Why
Can't Buy Me Love
Anytime  At All
I'll  Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
When I Get  Home
You Can't Do That
I'll Be Back

Round#1 I'm Happy Just To Dance With You November 19

When I Get Home is my pick for this round. I never liked Lennon's "WOAHOOWOA IIIIIIIIII" vocal. It's slightly embarrassing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:09:40 PM by pixletwin » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

Can't Buy Me Love...
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »

Things We Said Today
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »

Still boggles my mind that anyone would call that a "downer". It's someone saying to another that no matter what happens I will always be there for you. Quite inspiring if you ask me!
I went to great lengths to say that - read again - I don't care about lyrics. I referred, obviously, to music (duh!). "Anytime at all", to me, not you or anybody else here, doesn't sound "happy-go-lucky". It isn't joyful. Like "I'm happy just to dance". Understood?

"Anytime at all" till it gets buzzed off.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »

Still boggles my mind that anyone would call that a "downer". It's someone saying to another that no matter what happens I will always be there for you. Quite inspiring if you ask me!
I went to great lengths to say that - read again - I don't care about lyrics. I referred, obviously, to music (duh!). "Anytime at all", to me, not you or anybody else here, doesn't sound "happy-go-lucky". It isn't joyful. Like "I'm happy just to dance". Understood?

"Anytime at all" till it gets buzzed off.

I can't hear how the music is a downer either. it's full of positive energy. I guess it's because it starts in a minor key.  But it is consistently uplifted and emphasized to the relative major. Musically it mirrors the lyrics. Brilliant of Lennon to do that. Seems weird to write off a song because it contains one minor chord. Anyways, I detect that you are getting irritated. If that is the case, I apologize. I just enjoy discussing these songs and the difference in opinions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:56:23 PM by pixletwin » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 08:08:13 PM »

Would have to go with Anytime at All. Don't think it's a "downer" but musically it's not as interesting as the others.
(If it had been on the previous album I would have considered it one of the best. But AHDN is an album full of great songs, and this is a good song)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx