gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:05:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #14 Winner: LET IT BE  (Read 26001 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »

I Me Mine
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »

Get Back... prefer the single
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »

I me mine.
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »

Across the Universe
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »

Sorry, I haven't been able to vote in recent rounds...too hard to decide! I'll be back, eventually.

Anyway, is it just me or is Paul's vocal on the Let It Be version of The Long And Winding Road the worst Beatles lead vocal ever?! if you listen closely, it's clear how much he's struggling. He actually sounds old, at times. This version is from Jan. 26, 1969 and is also available on Anthology 3 without Spector's changes. I find the version on Let It Be...Naked to be vastly superior, vocally. That was the final take on Jan. 31st (which also appeared in the film). The 26th was just a run through, it wasn't a final attempt to record the definitive version, and it shows. John's bass playing is also far better on the ...Naked version.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »

I have mixed feelings about the Naked vs Spector versions. On a few songs I actually think the "overdone" Spector arrangements work well - particularly on Let It Be, which naturally seems like a gospel-type song you would want to sing with a gospel choir bursting out in the background, so here I think the Spector version is great. Long and Winding Road I think I agree with BE that the Naked version is better.

Across the Universe is another one that was overdone on the Spector version. Personally my favorite version is this one, which is similar to the World Wildlife Fund version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGME3Iv7Yg&list=RDYpGME3Iv7Yg

Anyway, I could go on for a long time about Across the Universe. Let's just say that I think my brain's default mode is to having Across the Universe going through my head. In fact, more than any other song I have ATU going through my head (with "These Dreams" by Heart close behind), and I think when my brain has nothing else to think of, it gets ATU going through it. I am pretty sure on my deathbed, the last thing going through my brain is going to be Across the Universe. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:55:57 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »

I do prefer the naked version as well. Sequence is better, production sounds better (the Spector version sounds so dated), the leads are better. It’s just an all round better version.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2018, 12:35:48 AM »

Hmm... Spector vs. Naked poll would be interesting...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2018, 04:53:54 AM »

Hmm... Spector vs. Naked poll would be interesting...

It would be. Do it!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2018, 06:47:14 AM »

The final album (recorded before the final album... if that makes any sense). I prefer Let It Be... Naked... But there it is!  3D

Let It Be topped albums charts in both America and the UK, and the "Let It Be" single and "The Long and Winding Road" also reached number one in the US. Despite its commercial success, according to Beatles Diary author Keith Badman, "reviews [were] not good".[28] NME critic Alan Smith wrote: "If the new Beatles' soundtrack is to be their last then it will stand as a cheapskate epitaph, a cardboard tombstone, a sad and tatty end to a musical fusion which wiped clean and drew again the face of pop."[29] Smith added that the album showed "contempt for the intelligence of today's record-buyer" and that the Beatles had "sold out all the principles for which they ever stood".[30] Reviewing for Rolling Stone, John Mendelsohn was also critical of the album, citing Spector's production embellishments as a weakness: "Musically, boys, you passed the audition. In terms of having the judgment to avoid either over-producing yourselves or casting the fate of your get-back statement to the most notorious of all over-producers, you didn't."[31]

However, John Gabree of High Fidelity magazine found the album "not nearly as bad as the movie" and "positively wonderful" relative to the recent solo releases by McCartney and Starr. Gabree admired "Let It Be", "Get Back" and "Two of Us", but derided "Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe", the last of which he described as "bloated and self-satisfied – the kind of song we've come to expect from these rich, privileged prototeenagers".[32] While questioning whether the Beatles' split would remain permanent, William Mann of The Times described Let It Be as "Not a breakthrough record, unless for the predominance of informal, unedited live takes; but definitely a record to give lasting pleasure. They aren't having to scrape the barrel yet."[33] In his review for The Sunday Times, Derek Jewell deemed the album to be "a last will and testament, from the blackly funereal packaging to the music itself, which sums up so much of what The Beatles as artists have been – unmatchably brilliant at their best, careless and self-indulgent at their least."[33]

In a retrospective review, Richie Unterberger of AllMusic described Let It Be as the "only Beatles album to occasion negative, even hostile reviews", but felt that it was "on the whole underrated". He singles out "some good moments of straight hard rock in 'I've Got a Feeling' and 'Dig a Pony'", and praises "Let It Be", "Get Back", and "the folky 'Two of Us', with John and Paul harmonising together".[34] Despite a mixed review from Rolling Stone at the time of its release, the album was ranked number 86 in the magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003[35] but was moved down to number 392 in the 2012 version.[36]

12 votes spread across 4 tracks!

The Long and Winding Road has hit a road block, put up by 5 smilers!

VOTE for your LEAST FAVORITE track.

Tally on February 4

Two of Us
Across the Universe
I Me Mine
Let It Be
Get Back

Round#1 Dig It Jan 12
Round#2 Maggie Mae Jan 14
Round#3 For You Blue Jan 18
Round#4 Dig A Pony Jan 21
Round#5 One After 909 Jan 24
Round#6 I've Got A Feeling Jan 28
Round#7 The Long and Winding Road Jan 31

Eighth round is a tough. Two songs I like equally. One is more iconic and one is more  interesting, musically.

Bah... I think I'll vote off the iconic one: Get Back

Get your VOTE on!

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
The Beatles Survivor #11 Winner: WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
The Beatles Survivor #12 Winner: HELTER SKELTER
The Beatles Survivor #13 Winner: HERE COMES THE SUN
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:48:37 AM by pixletwin » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »

I Me Mine

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »

I Me Mine
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2018, 08:00:25 AM »

I Me Mine
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2018, 11:17:19 AM »

get back
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »

Looks like Across the Universe won't be going for a bit longer, I'll go with I Me Mine this time.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »

I Me Mine
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »

I Me Mine.

I like the song but the chorus is boring

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
bluesno1fann
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2018, 02:51:40 AM »

Two Of Us
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »

I Me Mine
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »

I Me Mine
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »

The final album (recorded before the final album... if that makes any sense). I prefer Let It Be... Naked... But there it is!  3D

Let It Be topped albums charts in both America and the UK, and the "Let It Be" single and "The Long and Winding Road" also reached number one in the US. Despite its commercial success, according to Beatles Diary author Keith Badman, "reviews [were] not good".[28] NME critic Alan Smith wrote: "If the new Beatles' soundtrack is to be their last then it will stand as a cheapskate epitaph, a cardboard tombstone, a sad and tatty end to a musical fusion which wiped clean and drew again the face of pop."[29] Smith added that the album showed "contempt for the intelligence of today's record-buyer" and that the Beatles had "sold out all the principles for which they ever stood".[30] Reviewing for Rolling Stone, John Mendelsohn was also critical of the album, citing Spector's production embellishments as a weakness: "Musically, boys, you passed the audition. In terms of having the judgment to avoid either over-producing yourselves or casting the fate of your get-back statement to the most notorious of all over-producers, you didn't."[31]

However, John Gabree of High Fidelity magazine found the album "not nearly as bad as the movie" and "positively wonderful" relative to the recent solo releases by McCartney and Starr. Gabree admired "Let It Be", "Get Back" and "Two of Us", but derided "Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe", the last of which he described as "bloated and self-satisfied – the kind of song we've come to expect from these rich, privileged prototeenagers".[32] While questioning whether the Beatles' split would remain permanent, William Mann of The Times described Let It Be as "Not a breakthrough record, unless for the predominance of informal, unedited live takes; but definitely a record to give lasting pleasure. They aren't having to scrape the barrel yet."[33] In his review for The Sunday Times, Derek Jewell deemed the album to be "a last will and testament, from the blackly funereal packaging to the music itself, which sums up so much of what The Beatles as artists have been – unmatchably brilliant at their best, careless and self-indulgent at their least."[33]

In a retrospective review, Richie Unterberger of AllMusic described Let It Be as the "only Beatles album to occasion negative, even hostile reviews", but felt that it was "on the whole underrated". He singles out "some good moments of straight hard rock in 'I've Got a Feeling' and 'Dig a Pony'", and praises "Let It Be", "Get Back", and "the folky 'Two of Us', with John and Paul harmonising together".[34] Despite a mixed review from Rolling Stone at the time of its release, the album was ranked number 86 in the magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time in 2003[35] but was moved down to number 392 in the 2012 version.[36]

11 votes spread across 3 tracks!

8 smilers overwhelmingly voted (very selfishly*) for I Me Mine.

*j/k  Tongue

VOTE for your LEAST FAVORITE track.

Tally on February 7

Two of Us
Across the Universe
Let It Be
Get Back

Round#1 Dig It Jan 12
Round#2 Maggie Mae Jan 14
Round#3 For You Blue Jan 18
Round#4 Dig A Pony Jan 21
Round#5 One After 909 Jan 24
Round#6 I've Got A Feeling Jan 28
Round#7 The Long and Winding Road Jan 31
Round#8 I Me Mine Feb 5

Ninth round is easy because my vote is a left over from round 8.

Get Back

Get your VOTE on!

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE