gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681053 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 12:37:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416284 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 09, 2012, 05:55:26 AM »

Not really a question, but an insignificant observation.

I've been listening to a lot of The Doors albums lately, and I noticed that the cover-font on L.A. Woman is identical to the font used on the Pet Sounds cover. Thought it kind of neat because Morrison was a Beach Boys fan...though I doubt that's the reason for the font.

Again, just a trivial observation.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »

Is there a reason the mastering on sunflower is so bad?  Some of the harmonies get really shrill on the high notes and hurt my ears
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »

I have two unrelated questions:

1) Where did Mother May come from? It says 1963 on the video, sounds like it... Anyone have info on it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSEkJKcWVQ&feature=BFa&list=PLF3A22C8BA9844686&lf=results_video

2) I'm really curious about Won't You Tell Me...This is a Murry song, right? Written with Rick Henn? Or am I mistaken? and it's just the 3 Wilson brother's singing, right? Are there any other versions/cuts floating around?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

What elementary school did the Wilsons attend? Juan de Anza? It's near W 120th by the 405.

No mas, por favor.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 12, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »

Could someone please PM me a link for American Spring (1973)? All other links have dried up :/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2230 on: April 12, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »

no.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 12, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

SOunds like somebody needs a refresher course on the forum rules.

No mas, por favor.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 12, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »

What elementary school did the Wilsons attend? Juan de Anza? It's near W 120th by the 405.
They attended York Elementary in Hawthorne...
http://hawthorne.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=448
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 13, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »

Could someone please PM me a link for American Spring (1973)? All other links have dried up :/

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(American_band)    Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »

Why do I like beer so much?  3D

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

Because it is fucking amazing. next question?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Because it is f*cking amazing. next question?

That was going to be my response but then I decided there's a chance he's drinking Bud or Coors Light.

No mas, por favor.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 13, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

If he was drinking that, the question would be 'Why do I hate beer so much?'  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 13, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

Can we keep on topic please? police

Why do I like beer so much while listening to the Beach Boys? 3D

.....wasn't so hard was it?
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »

Because it is f*cking amazing. next question?
Yes sir.  Grin
But why all the hate for bud? I think its pretty good, but I'm from the u.s.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2240 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »

Can we keep on topic please? police

Why do I like beer so much while listening to the Beach Boys? 3D

.....wasn't so hard was it?

I prefer to drink Merlot and eat Brie while I listen to the Beach Boys. Beer drinking I reserve for Black Sabbath and the like.
Biggus Dikkus
« Reply #2241 on: April 14, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »

...so whats everyone's favorite mix of SMiLE at the moment? The official release? A bootleg? A fanmix?

I keep finding myself going back to my vinyl from the official release.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »

I'm currently icing my alternate Today! album with a new cover since I'm not the biggest fan of the fuzzy matching jumpers, bordered with baby-poo original! This is what I've mocked up thusfar:

Two questions!
1: I've read from one source that this photo was taken in 1964 and another saying it's from 1966, could anyone please verify the actual date for me? (I'm hoping it's from a shoot that pre-dates Today! I want to make my fantasy as authentic as possible LOL)
2: Is a higher res image of this jumping shot available? I've yet to encounter anything larger than 500x400 and it hurts my soul!

p.s. I know we're missing a Beach Boy here, but I figure if Al missed making it on the cover to SD(ASN!!!) Mike's fine to not make it on my fantasy cover here (and I'm sure he wouldn't have minded had this taken place in '65 Grin)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:04:01 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:33 AM »

It's definitely taken in '64. In Paris, in November.

Looking for a high-res version ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:06:41 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: April 14, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »

So I'd been going through some of my old CD-R's that I burned prolly 5 years ago...and, as a treat for myself, I'd always add random Bonus tracks at the end...usually, they were unrelated to the disc at hand, like last night, I was listening to what I wrote on the disc: "30th Anniversery Concert," I don't know if it's correct, but I do know it's a concert from London from early to mid 90s...nothing spectacular on there. For me, it's notable because it's the only live recording of Still Cruisin' I have....ANYWAYS, the bonus tracks I added were some random "single mixes" or what I think are the 45 edit/mixes....I'm just wondering if I'm correct, I kinda find it strange most of the late 70s had single edits, but are they different mixes?

-Why do Fools Fall in Love (intro cut off and start's with whole group vocal: "WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE, mmm bop doo bop")...is this a different mix?
-California (Brian's "I'm on my Way to sunny California" "I'm on  my way," is very prevalent throughout the whole song)
-Honkin' Down the Highway (drum intro cut off...I honestly think the mix sounds cleaner on this one)
-Come Go with Me (original mix from 15 Big Ones? which I actually prefer this version)
-Hey Little Tomboy (I can't tell a difference on this)
-Lady Linda (harpsichord intro cut off...any other difference?)
-School Days (only change I can hear is the bell that rings after the opening vocal intro...any other changes?)

Additionally, I know there's the Here Comes the Night single/shorter edit...unfortunately that wasn't on the disc. What other songs had a single edit? Oh yeah, Never Learn not to Love has the gong intro cut off. and doesn't Rock and roll Music have a different/better mix? I know there's things like the Cotton Fields 45/album version, that's not really what I'm looking for, but just the singles that are edited in some form or fashion.

Oh, and of course there's the different mixes of Susie Cincinatti.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: April 14, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

...so whats everyone's favorite mix of SMiLE at the moment? The official release? A bootleg? A fanmix?

I keep finding myself going back to my vinyl from the official release.

Smile AD 4.0, with GV from the new Smyle mix (contains the fuzzbass bridge section, so kickass!)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »

It's definitely taken in '64. In Paris, in November.

Looking for a high-res version ...

Thanks! Appreciate it  Cool

I'm looking too, it's driving me nuts! I would have thought it's the type of group shot that'd be available all around the net in decent quality, but apparently not!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: April 14, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

Could someone fill me in on the history of the pet sounds master tapes?  Like what does the west coast master refer to?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »

Is there any particular explanation or reason for the "Tried Al Jardine, but I knew he wouldn't do" line that was sung by the group in their early live performances of Barbara Ann? Was it a subtle David Marks in-joke?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »

Could someone fill me in on the history of the pet sounds master tapes?  Like what does the west coast master refer to?

Great question, and here is my sorry take on it; I'm sure the big fish will jump in to correct any inaccuracies I put forth;

There isn't really a West Coast master or LA Tape - that's a reference to the original mono master tape (OMM) by Brian.

In '87, Mark Linett made a de-noised copy of the OMM (which was used on the first PS CD release).  Lucky for us, Mark also a no-noise (flat EQ) digital copy as well.

The reason it was a lucky is because the OMM has gone a-missin' circa 92/93- Mark L says since pre the GV box.

Steve Hoffman who mastered the MoFi release around '92 says he used the OMM, as well as the "NEW YORK" tape (re WIBN).  The "NEW YORK" tape is a safety copy of the original tape, stashed in Capitol NY I guess.  Hoffman has it that he checked out the "OMM" for 2.5 hrs to make a copy and subsequently the tape has disappeared -

Hoffman thinks the original master has been sliced and diced onto an "S" reel (god help us), which seems to be some kind of crazy Capitol records anything goes sliced together collection of tracks, the contents of which are recorded in an S-book.

But, says Hoffman, the S book's gone missing, so nobody knows where the original sh*t is.  I say unleash Peter Reum and David Propoky into the vaults ala their '78 (I think) scour for the Smile stuff - and then we'll have world peace.

Personally, I tend towards the Mark L version of events, it's much more considered and much less complicated...

BTW, the no-noise master is what's been used since the mid '90s or so (which may or may not explain "Trombone Dixie" not being on the standard line up since the original CD)

My sources are mainly from this site, and some nods to the old SMiLE shop:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,201.msg28882.html#msg28882
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,201.msg28794.html#msg28794
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6503.msg106974.html#msg106974
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6503.msg107405.html#msg107405

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:19:46 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: