gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:43:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE  (Read 32072 times)
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »

WI64
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Within You Without You.  Although I've warmed to this track over the last several years, I still feel it is the weakest.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »

Within You Without You
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 06:43:16 AM »

If any of you lurkers haven't voted yet, do so now!.

Cast a vote to celebrate the anniversary!
 3D
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »

Within You Without You

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2017, 11:07:52 PM »

We find ourselves at what many believe is the "Toppermost of the Poppermost".

Sgt. Pepper is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the use of extended form in popular music while continuing the artistic maturation seen on the Beatles' preceding releases. It has been described as one of the first art rock LPs, aiding the development of progressive rock, and credited with marking the beginning of the Album Era. An important work of British psychedelia, the album incorporates a range of stylistic influences, including vaudeville, circus, music hall, avant-garde, and Western and Indian classical music. In 2003, the Library of Congress placed Sgt. Pepper in the National Recording Registry, honouring the work as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[1] That same year, Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number one in its list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". As of 2011, it has sold more than 32 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums in history. Professor Kevin J. Dettmar, writing in the Oxford Encyclopedia of British Literature, described it as "the most important and influential rock and roll album ever recorded"

12 votes spread across 5 songs.

5 Smilers decided Rita wasn't Lovely enough to last another round.

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK!!!!

Tally on June 3

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better
Fixing A Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite
Within You Without You
When I'm Sixty-Four
Good Morning Good Morning
A Day In The Life

Round#1 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise) May 30
Round#2 Lovely Rita June 1

One thing I have been wondering lately; why did they give George a slot on Pepper for Within You Without You, when he had It's All Too Much - which was a far more powerful song. Big mistake, IMO.

Vote Vote Vote 3D

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
bluesno1fann
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »

I love Within You Without You.... one of the best songs here IMO

Voting against the title track
KDS
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 03:40:36 AM »

Within You Without You
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »

Scaroline No
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

I'm sad Rita is gone.

Trying It's Getting Better again. I don't usually feel compelled to make a case for/against a certain song, but in this case, since the whole Sgt. Pepper "concept" was for them to go into a different headspace, go out on a limb a bit, do something different, experiment, etc. I feel like It's Getting Better doesn't fit that. It is a great song, but it's purely a great pop song, and not as experimental as the others. Sooooo yeah Smiley
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »

WI64

I don't think It's All Too Much was recorded by the time they finished Pepper.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »

within you without you

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »

WI64

I don't think It's All Too Much was recorded by the time they finished Pepper.

Good point. I just read it was recorded the week Sgt. Pepper's was released.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »

When I'm Sixty-Four.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »

I love Within You Without You.... one of the best songs here IMO

Voting against the title track
Ditto both sentiments. WYWY is probably in my top 4-5 on this album. And the title track is my next vote.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

Trying It's Getting Better again. I don't usually feel compelled to make a case for/against a certain song, but in this case, since the whole Sgt. Pepper "concept" was for them to go into a different headspace, go out on a limb a bit, do something different, experiment, etc. I feel like It's Getting Better doesn't fit that. It is a great song, but it's purely a great pop song, and not as experimental as the others. Sooooo yeah Smiley
Hmm, interesting observation. On the other hand, a pure pop song like Getting Better adds variety to the otherwise experimental stuff. In fact, I always liked  WI64 for that same reason - it's a schmaltzy song that seems out of place with much of the rest of the stuff, but its very schmaltzy-ness really adds to the variety on the album. In fact, I can think of few pop/rock albums that have such a great variety of songs (not counting double albums I suppose).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »

When I'm 64

Very hard decision.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »

Hmm, interesting observation. On the other hand, a pure pop song like Getting Better adds variety to the otherwise experimental stuff. In fact, I always liked  WI64 for that same reason - it's a schmaltzy song that seems out of place with much of the rest of the stuff, but its very schmaltzy-ness really adds to the variety on the album. In fact, I can think of few pop/rock albums that have such a great variety of songs (not counting double albums I suppose).

Precisely. WI64 is probably in my top 5... maybe top 3. hard to believe Paul was only 16 when he wrote it!  Shocked
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »

I am in the minority that doesn't really care for Within You Without You, so I pick that one.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »

Within You Without You is amazing, you're all crazy.

Scaroline No
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 08:46:57 AM »

Hmm, interesting observation. On the other hand, a pure pop song like Getting Better adds variety to the otherwise experimental stuff. In fact, I always liked  WI64 for that same reason - it's a schmaltzy song that seems out of place with much of the rest of the stuff, but its very schmaltzy-ness really adds to the variety on the album. In fact, I can think of few pop/rock albums that have such a great variety of songs (not counting double albums I suppose).

First, I just need to acknowledge my sin of misquoting the song title... Getting Better, not "It's Getting Better", that was a fail on my part, lol  Roll Eyes

I think you make a good point SMiLE-Addict, it does add that variety, and I suppose at that time it also served as a message to the fans that the Beatles they know and love haven't totally abandoned them for this new Sgt. Pepper persona. Honestly, I'm just looking for ways to justify voting off songs I love, LOL (aren't we all?).

And I would say that WI64 is quirky enough to fit the Sgt. Pepper "headspace" even if Paul wrote it when he was 16 as pixletwin pointed out (I didn't know that! Today I learned...)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:47:48 AM by SCaroline Z » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »

Within You Without You is amazing, you're all crazy.

Dang, you're right!

I am flipping my vote to Good Morning Good Morning.

That means we have a three-way tie between Within/Out You, Good Morning, and WI64.

Next vote for any of those songs will decide the round. (This can be a new vote for a flip vote)
 3D
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »

When I'm 64
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:09:50 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »

when I'm 64
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »

This is hard. But I'm just gonna go with my gut reaction, which is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cHwPzU8h50

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx