gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:57:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444445 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »

The new "meant for you" might be the track that's intriguing me the most

It's very cool, and it's what I was hinting about in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.msg364165.html#msg364165

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 12, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »

The new "meant for you" might be the track that's intriguing me the most

It's very cool, and it's what I was hinting about in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.msg364165.html#msg364165

Fantastic!

Can you give anymore details about it?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 12, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »

The direction of this thread illustrates one of the reasons I've stayed away from this board for awhile. The greatest thing a fan community can hope for (a box set release that includes a $hit-ton of unreleased tracks), and everyone just starts ripping the thing apart. And it's a real unpleasant scene ... the general atmosphere of this board is really just out of control.

see ya

I don't like to be negative. And like I posted earlier, I'm pleased with the selection of rarities. Sunflower a capella mixes, Sound Of Free/Lady single, WIBNTLA, live rarities, exactly what I hoped for. But I think it's not unreasonable to complain about the fact that if you want the rarities, you're forced to re-buy the hits and album tracks.

Imagine that you walk into a diner and only want a drink. But you can only get a drink if you order a full menu. Would it be unreasonable to complain about that? Would that automatically mean you're criticizing the menu? Would it be a reason to just forget about wanting a drink? I think not.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »

The direction of this thread illustrates one of the reasons I've stayed away from this board for awhile. The greatest thing a fan community can hope for (a box set release that includes a $hit-ton of unreleased tracks), and everyone just starts ripping the thing apart. And it's a real unpleasant scene ... the general atmosphere of this board is really just out of control.

see ya

So you just want everyone praising the box set for 500+ posts. We're all happy it's coming but the content is obviously going to be criticized.

I find it bizarre some posters are actually insulted because people are unhappy with the box set, it's kind of funny.
Exactly.

I'm fine with (and expected) some rehash of the hits... as long as it makes a compelling listen/tells a nice story.  But anyone on this board could easily fill 6 discs with unreleased rarities, too.

I think we all thank those involved for getting the "$sh*t-ton" of rarities on here -- the stuff people are talking about in this and future threads.  But... it's also right to say... "$145?  Wow.  Hmmm.  Ok..."

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »

When words are all we can use to express a thought, no, definitions can not be relative. I take issue as well with your use of disingenuous.

dis·in·gen·u·ous  insincere - false - devious - hollow-hearted.

This box set is nothing more than what it has always purported to be. A career spanning retrospective with some rarities thrown in for good measure. If any of you feel "ripped off" it's because you placed (yourself) unrealistic expectations on the product and you can blame nowt but yourselves for that. The hyperbole and hand wrenching and (self)righteous indignation is getting really tiresome.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of the newly released material would be more highly valued by most people if it had not already been available for free through illegal downloads.  I bet the majority of posters on this thread have received at least some free music that way, and a few have downloaded several or more hours worth.

I'm no apologist for record companies.  They certainly take advantage of consumers at times (as well as artists).  But to some degree, it evens out.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #580 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »

Can't believe everyone whining on here... Jesus, just don't buy it then! I'll listen to all the rarities on your behalf, suits me.

'Boo hoo, the track-list wasn't exactly as I wanted it to be'. Well me neither, but I'm still beside myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing this stuff.

It's WIBNTLA for Christ's sake! Just that track alone is enough to get me drooling... Some of you sound like spoilt children. Or rather, Phil.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 12, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

So is the Rock 'n Roll music with extra verse the hot mix? The extra verse sorta implies so...

Couldn't be anything else. First made a public appearance on the "Best Summers Of Our Lives" radio special in 1976. Been wanting this one released for years. Shoulda been the single in '76 in my opinion.

There is a version that is more "subdued" than the "Hot Mix" that included the extra verse.  I heard it from the late Rev. Bob, who scored it about a year before he passed away.  So the extra verse and the "Hot Mix" are not necessarily linked.

Lee

Ah, OK. So what we''ll probably be getting in the box is the "subdued" version? First I'd heard there was an alternate to the "Hot" mix and the released version. Never heard/seen it booted before. I'm assuming the "Hot Mix" is the one that was played on the radio special, Lee?

It's a brand-new remix.

Cool!  Always wondered why they didn't include the original last verse ("extra verse") in the released version. Either the album or single version. Guess they felt the song was too long, I dunno.  I mean, if you're going to do a cover......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »

Well, color me duly impressed!  I can't believe how many people are complaining about it though.  It just shows that you can't please everyone.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

see ya

I don't like to be negative. And like I posted earlier, I'm pleased with the selection of rarities. Sunflower a capella mixes, Sound Of Free/Lady single, WIBNTLA, live rarities, exactly what I hoped for. But I think it's not unreasonable to complain about the fact that if you want the rarities, you're forced to re-buy the hits and album tracks.

Imagine that you walk into a diner and only want a drink. But you can only get a drink if you order a full menu. Would it be unreasonable to complain about that? Would that automatically mean you're criticizing the menu? Would it be a reason to just forget about wanting a drink? I think not.

Assuming Amazon and/or iTunes offers individual tracks from the set, just pretend this is the start of the "Beach Boys Central" site and it's a 60 track download-only release for sixty bucks.

I think some are ignoring the group's well-known aversion to releasing outtakes from the 70s and 80s. Look at the "Hawthorne" set that barely got onto the 70s.

I have to believe the compilers were not only fighting the label but fighting band members to get the unreleased stuff on this set. The band members can often make very arbitrary decisions when it comes to unreleased stuff, or released stuff for that matter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:53:38 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »

I respect the opinions others who might feel to the contrary, but in all honesty, I'm having a hard time understanding why folks might be severely disappointed by this set or feel ripped off.

First up, we always knew that it was going to be the same basic structure as the '93 box: An all-encompassing overview that would include hits, album cuts, live stuff, rare/alt. mixes and unreleased tracks. Basically, the same kind of box and the same format that so many other artists have given us through the years. No surprise there at all. People can say what they could've or should've done in terms of giving diehard fans rarities, but the cold, hard reality is that the last 2 CD, all rarities package was a sales disaster that appealed only to the narrowest of base. With this type of box, the appeal stretches to the the casual and "midline" fan as well, who simply want a one-stop shop for everything, while perhaps still being enticed by the rare stuff. Obviously, it's an appealing and lucrative format because so many artists use it. It's obviously worked well for the Beach Boys as well.

As far as the content goes, while it's always going to be impossible to please everyone down to the last drop, I think the compilers have done a helluva fine job in giving us a healthy dose of the good stuff, while still taking into account and balancing the financial and "personality" issues they have to deal with. I believe someone mentioned that 34% of the box is unreleased (33% for the '93 box). Not too shabby if you ask me, especially considering how late in the game we are, and how much "mining" of the vaults has already occurred. WIBNTLA...Where Is She...My Love Lives On...California Feelin' demo. This is the stuff we've been salivating over the prospect of for years! And for the band/compilers, it's probably a shoe-in for a Grammy nod.

Again, I certainly respect anyone's feelings to the contrary, but for me, August 27th, 2013 can't come fast enough! Time to slowly start saving the pesos!

PS - As others have noted, while most likely lossy, there's always the option of downloads for people who want to pick and choose content.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:55:48 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 12, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »

Can't believe everyone whining on here... Jesus, just don't buy it then! I'll listen to all the rarities on your behalf, suits me.

'Boo hoo, the track-list wasn't exactly as I wanted it to be'. Well me neither, but I'm still beside myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing this stuff.

It's WIBNTLA for Christ's sake! Just that track alone is enough to get me drooling... Some of you sound like spoilt children. Or rather, Phil.
Seriously?  You guys complaining about the complaining -- you "can't believe" the complaining?  You can't believe the most hardcore BB site in the Universe has some issues with the long awaited box set of our dreams -- with all their building imagination over the last several months -- of what could be?  And, yes, while  awesome -- you find it crazy that hardcore fans might be a little let-down that only 34% of it is unreleased?

Now that I find hard to believe.

I say enough!  Enough of the complaining about the complaining! Razz

no offense... just having fun.  Lips Sealed

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »

Seriously?  You guys complaining about the complaining -- you "can't believe" the complaining?  You can't believe the most hardcore BB site in the Universe has some issues with the long awaited box set of our dreams -- with all their building imagination over the last several months -- of what could be?  And, yes, while  awesome -- you find it crazy that hardcore fans might be a little let-down that only 34% of it is unreleased?

Now that I find hard to believe.

I say enough!  Enough of the complaining about the complaining! Razz

no offense... just having fun.  Lips Sealed

Now if ANYONE doesn't buy this set (Or indeed want it)  please let me know and I will buy any CD that I don't have and in return I will send you a sample of WIBNTLA  ( lets say 93 seconds of it , including the frigging flute)  LOL
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

The more I think of this the more upset I am. I will buy this, even though I shouldn't for that price, because I like the packaging, CD's, all that stuff. However, I'm so glad I didn't buy most of the compilations that have released over the years, except for Hawthorne and TWOTS. I wanted to, for the stereo mixes, but really, c'mon.

I wish I had enough money to buy things that I really don't want.

... never said I didn't want it...

I'm on such a tight budget that I shouldn't be paying that kind of dinero for a bunch of crap I already have ten times over. I'm going to buy it because I'm an devoted BB fan, taking the risk that I won't be needing the extra money elsewhere. I'll complain all day long though about what I perceive as serious missed opportunities with MIC.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:27:11 PM by Mahalo » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 12, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »

Each copy of this could have come with an invitation to Brian's place for a barbeque, and someone would have complained.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:31 PM »

Each copy of this could have come with an invitation to Brian's place for a barbeque, and someone would have complained.

True. So why are people upset that people are disappointed when it's a given fact that people are going to complain no matter what? People who are upset about fans who dare to voice dsappointment should lock themselves in a room with Barbara Ann and California Dreamin' on repeat.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 12, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »

One other thing that has me stoked about the box is the track selection for the live cuts. Mostly prime deep cuts or key performances (e.g. Carl doing SOS, that amazing live version of Only With You, Blondie doing Wild Honey).

In fact, I was just lamenting to someone the other day on the phone about how It's About Time was one of my favorite of the band's 70s live tunes, and yet, all we had were lower-fi or mono performances (e.g. Central Park, Syracuse, etc.), or higher quality stereo mixes with key elements missing (namely Carl's lead in that infamous Fillmore mix). Hopefully, this will be a smokin' performance in nice stereo quality. Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

The more I think of this the more upset I am. I will buy this, even though I shouldn't for that price, because I like the packaging, CD's, all that stuff. However, I'm so glad I didn't buy most of the compilations that have released over the years, except for Hawthorne and TWOTS. I wanted to, for the stereo mixes, but really, c'mon.

I wish I had enough money to buy things that I really don't want.

... never said I didn't want it...

I'm on such a tight budget that I shouldn't be paying that kind of dinero for a bunch of crap I already have ten times over. I'm going to buy it because I'm an devoted BB fan, taking the risk that I won't be needing the extra money elsewhere. I'll complain all day long though about what I perceive as serious missed opportunities with MIC.

Sorry I was just being flippant earlier. Everybody should take note that $135 is a heck of a lot of cash for some people to spare these days.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »

oOOooohhh I know. Why don't those fans who can do nothing better than whine about how a box set featuring ALOT of tracks that not 15 years ago were the realm of legend, jump in a time machine and experience the days when getting to hear that precious 10 second snippet of "Been Way Too Long" meant a 20th generation speed altered cassette dub with around 40dB of noise thrown in for good measure? Add the public ridicule that accompanied actually daring to like Good Vibrations. Then throw in a tour in your home town once every 6 years. Then you'll get an idea why some of us find the chronic complaining about how a truck load of songs-not-heard for over 30 years, being delayed by a whopping 2 months and then the tracklist not being up to your oh-so-perfect expectations, absolute and utter BS.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 12, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »

That's cool, it's all in good fun.

I get as upset as anybody when people attatch their ego's to a BB message board and get into little tiff's over something that has nothing to do with anything.

After all, come Aug 27th. I hope to be hearing the long rumored but never heard legendary 12 minute version of Meant For You.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 12, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »

I heard it was 16 minutes long with Mike going "meant for you, meant for you" over and over

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »

oOOooohhh I know. Why don't those fans who can do nothing better than whine about how a box set featuring ALOT of tracks that not 15 years ago were the realm of legend, jump in a time machine and experience the days when getting to hear that precious 10 second snippet of "Been Way Too Long" meant a 20th generation speed altered cassette dub with around 40dB of noise thrown in for good measure? Add the public ridicule that accompanied actually daring to like Good Vibrations. Then throw in a tour in your home town once every 6 years. Then you'll get an idea why some of us find the chronic complaining about how a truck load of songs-not-heard for over 30 years, being delayed by a whopping 2 months and then the tracklist not being up to your oh-so-perfect expectations, absolute and utter BS.

I understand and respect your point of view- on this and most other topics here on SSMB- but complaints about the tracklist is NOT "absolute and utter BS".
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

Well, yeah.  First off, we've all had barbecue many times.  I can't believe they would force anyone to eat the same old burgers, potato salad, etc.

Plus, why only a barbecue?  You know Brian's got better food inside the house.  Why keep all that from us?  I mean, we're customers, and the customer is always right.

And that would just show how hypocritical the group is.  Brian's told us for years to avoid "juicy steaks" and the like, but now he goes and tries to force us to eat that stuff?  Sheesh.  I mean, maybe if it's grass-fed and organic, but even then, we'd have to pay big bucks just to get there, and who knows if we'd even get directions.  Might force us to use the description from that Friends song, and ... uh ... wait, I have lots more to complain about.  Give me a minute...
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »

I heard it was 16 minutes long with Mike going "meant for you, meant for you" over and over

I heard it has a cameo by Manson.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »

Nah. It's actually mike noodling around on a flute while bruce adjusts his microphone for 16 minutes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 12, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »

Well, yeah.  First off, we've all had barbecue many times.  I can't believe they would force anyone to eat the same old burgers, potato salad, etc.

Plus, why only a barbecue?  You know Brian's got better food inside the house.  Why keep all that from us?  I mean, we're customers, and the customer is always right.

And that would just show how hypocritical the group is.  Brian's told us for years to avoid "juicy steaks" and the like, but now he goes and tries to force us to eat that stuff?  Sheesh.  I mean, maybe if it's grass-fed and organic, but even then, we'd have to pay big bucks just to get there, and who knows if we'd even get directions.  Might force us to use the description from that Friends song, and ... uh ... wait, I have lots more to complain about.  Give me a minute...

And why is he using paper plates? The wifeandmanagers are just hiding the fine china from us in the pantry. And it's not like Melinda ever uses it anyway.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx