gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 03:57:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445369 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

I find it a combination of funny and sad (I guess the term is tragicomic) how people can feel ripped of over a purchase that they are no way obliged to make.

I would only feel ripped off if I bought the whole thing.  If I can buy the individual tracks I want, I won't feel ripped off.  Nobody's obliged to do anything.  If it's all or nothing, they'll get exactly zero money from me at the price (non box set albums are a different story).  If it's line item, they'll get some money from me.  I don't think I'm alone here.  Again, maybe the $40 I spend on individual tracks isn't significant to anybody, but I have to think somebody in some office somewhere would prefer getting $40 over getting $0.

This isn't a box set for just the die hard fan, it's a box set for everyone

I'll be really surprised if casual to semi-serious fans buy this box set as a whole in large numbers.  If they're banking on the expectation that the average non die-hard fan will drive sales, I think they're sorely mistaken.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »

I find it a combination of funny and sad (I guess the term is tragicomic) how people can feel ripped of over a purchase that they are no way obliged to make. It's so easy: if you don't find its content sufficient, don't buy the box set and stfu about it. Complaining about it will not add more songs.

Customers do have a right to post positive and negative feedback. There have been plenty of occasions in the past (BW Live at the Roxy being released 3 times with different bonus tracks) where fans have complained about being ripped off. Which is fair enough even if you don't agree.

Of course customers have the right to do this. But first of all, you are not a customer if you are saying you won't buy the box set. Second of all, if you do buy the box set and THEN feel ripped of, then you just haven't done you research properly - e.g. you already know what's on the box. Of course you can be disappointed, and hoped for other/more tracks, but you there's no point in feeling ripped off since you don't actually have to buy the box set.

PS! I've got all four version of 'Live at the Roxy', and I still don't feel ripped off, since after all, no one held a gun to my head when i bought them.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »

The new "meant for you" might be the track that's intriguing me the most

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 12, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

And with those two tracks, and a few others, they're *not* actually "taking up room that could have been occupied by 'more deserving' candidates". Universal have to pay mechanical royalties on each individual song that makes it onto the box set. Depending on various things like length of the track, that means that putting two versions of the same song on the set is much cheaper than putting two different songs on. (That's the same reason why on the GV box there were no songs on disc five that didn't appear on one of the other four discs).

Which makes it odd that several songs from disc 6 aren't included on the rest of the set (albeit Help Me Rhonda is included 3 times).

Presumably they tried to limit the duplication as much as possible. But without checking this, I'd bet that the duplicated songs are generally shorter than the non-duplicated ones, and mostly under two and a half minutes -- once the total length of the song on the collection goes over some length, I think five minutes, it starts costing more.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »

Of course customers have the right to do this. But first of all, you are not a customer if you are saying you won't buy the box set. Second of all, if you do buy the box set and THEN feel ripped of, then you just haven't done you research properly - e.g. you already know what's on the box. Of course you can be disappointed, and hoped for other/more tracks, but you there's no point in feeling ripped off since you don't actually have to buy the box set.

Here we go with the semantics.  I buy BB music.  I am a customer.  I have bought a good number of the songs on MIC numerous times.  Perhaps not a customer of this particular release in a certain format, but I am a customer.  There are many albums that I don't purchase initially for whatever reason, but end up eventually purchasing later when the terms of the release have changed.  Nobody held a gun to my head to by In the Key of Disney as a whole.  But I wasn't interested in all the tracks, and in order to buy the one track I was interested, I had to buy them all.  I do feel ripped off because in order to get the tracks I wanted, I had to purchase tracks I didn't want.  It was the only way to go.

So to humor you and play your word games, today I do not feel ripped off on the MIC set since I don't know yet if I'll be purchasing all or part of it.  If I don't end up buying the MIC set I won't feel ripped off.  If I buy the whole thing because of some limitation, I will feel ripped off.  If I can buy what I want to buy, I won't feel ripped off.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

I find it a combination of funny and sad (I guess the term is tragicomic) how people can feel ripped of over a purchase that they are no way obliged to make.
That's too easy. I'm a Beach Boys fan, I want to have everything that they release. Not buying this box set is not an option for me. I just think it really really sucks that I'll have to buy the hits and album tracks, some of which I already have on 15-20 different official releases, yet again. Like I already posted, this could've been a 2 or 3 disc rarities only set that I would gladly have paid $50-60 for. My problem is that it's $130 because apparently some people think it's impossible to release anything Beach Boys related that doesn't have Good Vibrations, Surfin' USA and I Get Around on it.

A box set that new born fans, your casual redneck, the regular fan, and to some extent the die hard fan will enjoy.
People don't spend $100+ on a band that they just casually like. 90% Of people who will buy this will be diehard fans.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »

So to humor you and play your word games, today I do not feel ripped off on the MIC set since I don't know yet if I'll be purchasing all or part of it.  If I don't end up buying the MIC set I won't feel ripped off.  If I buy the whole thing because of some limitation, I will feel ripped off.  If I can buy what I want to buy, I won't feel ripped off.

Fair enough.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »

Releasing a product that does not appeal to a specific consumer is not called a "rip off".

Releasing a product that does not contain what it purports to contain after a transaction has occurred is a "rip off".

See the difference?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:32:17 AM by pixletwin » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »

Releasing a product that does not appeal to a specific consumer is not called a "rip off".

Releasing a product that does not contain what it purports to contain is a "rip off".

See the difference?

Quite. I can understand why some people wouldn't want a career-spanning box set. I don't understand why anyone is angry about its existence...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »

That's too easy. I'm a Beach Boys fan, I want to have everything that they release. Not buying this box set is not an option for me. I just think it really really sucks that I'll have to buy the hits and album tracks, some of which I already have on 15-20 different official releases, yet again. Like I already posted, this could've been a 2 or 3 disc rarities only set that I would gladly have paid $50-60 for. My problem is that it's $130 because apparently some people think it's impossible to release anything Beach Boys related that doesn't have Good Vibrations, Surfin' USA and I Get Around on it.

A box set that new born fans, your casual redneck, the regular fan, and to some extent the die hard fan will enjoy.
People don't spend $100+ on a band that they just casually like. 90% Of people who will buy this will be diehard fans.

The Beach Boys and related is the band/artist I've spent most money on over anything I own in my 3000+ CD collection, and while I don't like buying stuff over and over again either, I just don't see the point in complaining about the tracklist of the box set. I have the choice to not buy the set, or probably buy individual tracks when released. And each time I have bought a Beach Boys CD with rehashed material, I have been aware of it, and therefor not felt like I've been ripped of. It's just part of the game. It's almost like buying an album by an artist where you only like one or two songs. You might not appreciate doing do, but the choice is certainly yours not to buy it.

Oh and again, 105 dollars at importcds.com. This set is not $130 as far as I'm concerned. But ok.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »

Didn't Brian reportedly try singing one of the... bridges in "This Whole World"? It'd be a nice treat to hear that on the vocal only mix.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »

Releasing a product that does not contain what it purports to contain after a transaction has occurred is a "rip off".

See the difference?

You said it, pt.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

See the difference?

I think the definition of the term is relative.  A completeist or collector, or somebody who hasn't already purchased the hits 30 times would probably not feel ripped off.  I ain't they.

Releasing a product that does not appeal to a specific consumer may not be a rip off, but I don't think you can blame said consumer for feeling ripped off.  This isn't 1995.  The market is moving inevitably toward an a la carte model.  What percentage of customers who will buy this box set do you think already have the hits and album tracks?  I'd bet 90%, and I bet Capitol knows that.  In an a la carte world, I personally feel it's disingenuous to expect customers to purchase something they've likely already purchased numerous times.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »

I wonder what the usual hidden tracks at the end of some discs will be. It'd be a nice opportunity to slip in a short track. "Thank Him" would be a great choice but I'm not holding my breath.

I suspect none -  TSS's "hidden" tracks were flagged up in the pre-release track listings whereas there's nowt here.

But I'm in the "deliriously happy to be getting what we're getting" camp, and don't mind!   :D

Nah they'll be some.  There always is!  It's almost a Boyd/Linett hallmark by now.

I'm guessing more radio promos or maybe "Do It Again 2012".  Nothing of major consequence though.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Paulos
« Reply #539 on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »

It sucks. It just sucks. Sorry, but it does.

Why are you sorry? You've just saved yourself $100+.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 12, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »

Is the organ part a different take?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49:34 AM »

Is that because it's reputed to be a totally different arrangement, or are you just into solo Mike vocals over basic organ pads?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

When words are all we can use to express a thought, no, definitions can not be relative. I take issue as well with your use of disingenuous.

dis·in·gen·u·ous  insincere - false - devious - hollow-hearted.

This box set is nothing more than what it has always purported to be. A career spanning retrospective with some rarities thrown in for good measure. If any of you feel "ripped off" it's because you placed (yourself) unrealistic expectations on the product and you can blame nowt but yourselves for that. The hyperbole and hand wrenching and (self)righteous indignation is getting really tiresome.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »

The more I think of this the more upset I am. I will buy this, even though I shouldn't for that price, because I like the packaging, CD's, all that stuff. However, I'm so glad I didn't buy most of the compilations that have released over the years, except for Hawthorne and TWOTS. I wanted to, for the stereo mixes, but really, c'mon.

Whoever said it earlier was right- Only the die hards are going to shell out that kind of money for this stuff. I never liked RnR music.... and California Dreamin'?? That drek sucks big hairy balls. This is the kind of crap that keeps that stigma on the BB's that only old folks and weirdos listen to these guys.

Again, they have way too much good stuff in the vaults to be ignored. I'm very disappointed....with good reason. I'm a BB snob. I waste more time of my life thinking about their music than any sane or rational person.

Ecology anyone?

Oh, who cares about the nuances...
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 12, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

So is the Rock 'n Roll music with extra verse the hot mix? The extra verse sorta implies so...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »

I wish they put the BV's to California Girls on there....I love how it sounds on the EH DVD.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »

The more I think of this the more upset I am. I will buy this, even though I shouldn't for that price, because I like the packaging, CD's, all that stuff. However, I'm so glad I didn't buy most of the compilations that have released over the years, except for Hawthorne and TWOTS. I wanted to, for the stereo mixes, but really, c'mon.

I wish I had enough money to buy things that I really don't want.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:04 AM »

This box set is nothing more than what it has always purported to be. A career spanning retrospective with some rarities thrown in for good measure. If any of you feel "ripped off" it's because you placed (yourself) unrealistic expectations on the product and you can blame nowt but yourselves for that. The hyperbole and hand wrenching and (self)righteous indignation is getting really tiresome.

For the record, I never expected anything more than a career spanning retrospective with some rarities.  No gripes there, and no unrealistic expectations.  I'm cool with the content.  I just hope to be able to purchase only the tracks I want.  
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »

Maybe I've missed it in the preceding nineteen pages of wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in anguish... but has anyone mentioned that "Do It Again" is a stereo remix ?
It has been mentioned a lot, but based on previous experiences people are afraid that it might turn out to be a harsh digitally sounding remix full of fly-ins. And did I mention it will probably be remixed 'in the box' with all kinds of digital reverb and echo and mastering tools?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »

Is the organ part a different take?

I have no idea. It's one of my favorites off Friends though so I'm excited to hear the alt version.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx