gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 12:55:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444042 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

This box set is nothing more than what it has always purported to be. A career spanning retrospective with some rarities thrown in for good measure. If any of you feel "ripped off" it's because you placed (yourself) unrealistic expectations on the product and you can blame nowt but yourselves for that. The hyperbole and hand wrenching and (self)righteous indignation is getting really tiresome.

For the record, I never expected anything more than a career spanning retrospective with some rarities.  No gripes there, and no unrealistic expectations.  I'm cool with the content.  I just hope to be able to purchase only the tracks I want.  

I hope that option is available to you and others in your boat (and have no reason to see why it won't). I did this for TSS. I bought the standard edition as I had zero interest in hearing a zillion H&V sessions etc.... I then downloaded the odds and ends from the deluxe set that I wanted off amazon for under a tenner.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »

The new "meant for you" might be the track that's intriguing me the most

Is the organ part a different take?

I have no idea. It's one of my favorites off Friends though so I'm excited to hear the alt version.

I know you have no idea. i was making a pointless comedic point that such a simple thing could be the main difference. Like getting Be Still with a different Organ

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »

So is the Rock 'n Roll music with extra verse the hot mix? The extra verse sorta implies so...

Couldn't be anything else. First made a public appearance on the "Best Summers Of Our Lives" radio special in 1976. Been wanting this one released for years. Shoulda been the single in '76 in my opinion.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 12, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »

I hope that option is available to you and others in your boat (and have no reason to see why it won't). I did this for TSS. I bought the standard edition as I had zero interest in hearing a zillion H&V sessions etc.... I then downloaded the odds and ends from the deluxe set that I wanted off amazon for under a tenner.

I assume this will be the case.  My argument was more philosophical than anything else.  Watch them make the a Capella version of "This Whole World" album only, just to stick it to me:)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »

Now that I have had time to process a little disappointment about tracks that did not make it, I can focus on the positive.  Of course I am excited about inclusion of tracks not previously heard.  And I am very happy about how the live tracks were treated:  First, I like having all the live tracks together rather than scattered throughout the discs.  Second, except for "Rhonda," these are not overplayed songs.  Third, 4 Dennis songs (on my wish list)!  Fourth, a Carl vocal on SOS (also on my wish list)!  Sure, I would love to have even MORE 69-73 lesser played songs (e.g., "Mess of Help"), but this COULD have been all "Good Vibrations," "Barbara Ann," "California Girls," etc.... so kudos to the Powers That Be!  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:00:27 AM by Les P » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #555 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

Too much negativity. If you don't want it: don't buy it
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 12, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »

So is the Rock 'n Roll music with extra verse the hot mix? The extra verse sorta implies so...

Couldn't be anything else. First made a public appearance on the "Best Summers Of Our Lives" radio special in 1976. Been wanting this one released for years. Shoulda been the single in '76 in my opinion.

There is a version that is more "subdued" than the "Hot Mix" that included the extra verse.  I heard it from the late Rev. Bob, who scored it about a year before he passed away.  So the extra verse and the "Hot Mix" are not necessarily linked.

Lee
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #557 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »

People are disappointed, that's all. We've been waiting for ages, and this set is obviously not what some folks were expecting, so they feel let down.

I for one am really pleased with this track-list, but I'm fine with others have a moan if they're not happy. This was a big deal after all.

I will be buying the set. Anyone who isn't is welcome to PM me in August for a "description" of what the unreleased tracks sound like in lossless FLAC  Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »

Maybe I've missed it in the preceding nineteen pages of wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in anguish... but has anyone mentioned that "Do It Again" is a stereo remix ?
A few mentioned that, some wondering if it was the 2012 version. Obviously the orig version.

So the original masters were located Andrew?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »

Count me in on the ones who'd actually love to hear the extra-verse version of R'n'R Music. Heard part of the "hot mix" once in not-so-pristine sound quality and absolutely loved it! Sounded like a huge improvement over the version that eventually got released.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »

WHERE THE HEYHEY IS EVERYBODY WANTS TO LIVE (AND OTHER ADULT/CHILD STUFFS)?!
This

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »

This.

I'm glad I never really listened to the studio bootlegs. All the known stuff aside, this box offers lots of new material (in my case, that is). I really like live recordings. I didn't know they played Little Bird live. It's amazing that we are able to hear suchs gems soon. And what others have said before: it's a career-spanning release, not some kind of rarities box set. 27 August can't come soon enough! Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 12, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »

I simply can't understand why so many people here take the disappointment others feel towards this release so freaking personally. Why is there such a desperation to justify your own desire to purchase to the fans that don't share that desire?

I think this box sucks. Pure and simple. If this had been four or five or six discs of rarities only, I would pre-order this and pay probably up to $200 for it retail without hesitation. It certainly isn't a bad thing this is getting released, and it's good to have some of this material available so I can't take issue with it in that regard, but still, I'm in ultimately no hurry to get this.

If this is something that appeals to you, buy it. My being disappointed doesn't somehow invalidate or delegitimize your purchase. I just feel like this thing is a big rip off and a major let down, and for that reason I'm not going to buy it, but that fact doesn't mean you can't.

Here's the thing for me: I've seen first hand the amount of work that the people who put these things do.  I've seen how hard Alan and Mark have lobbied and pressed and given up their time to try to make archival releases as cool as possible.  And it's not just Alan and Mark.  A lot of people have worked really hard on this to make it something we'll like.  They've had to play politics, lobby, negotiate, conciliate, and just do all kinds of crazy things.  Remember that time when WIBNTLA almost made it out, but got canned?  Well, that could have easily happened again but for the efforts of the good people.

So, maybe I do take it a little personally.  It's one thing to say that you'd like a different track list.  But saying it sucks?  That's an insult to the people that have given up a lot more than 140 bucks to bring this boxed set to you in the best form they could.  Don't forget that.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 12, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »

For $145, I won't.

What's my birthday?  Was it June, 11 2013?  Or... What does Marcellus Wallace look like?  LOL

I just skimmed the list... but, seriously... I've got the first four discs.  Pretty much.  Don't we all?  I'm not talking bootlegs.  That's all.

Listen... I like overpriced novelties.  For artists I cherish -- lovely packaged box sets are my thing.  All I gots to say is... glad I didn't get 50 Big Ones yet.  It was in my hands just the other day at Best Buy, too.  I guess a little voice said "wait."

I'll probably (ok definitely) get this.  But I'll pay 80.  Tops.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:04:14 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »

There is a version that is more "subdued" than the "Hot Mix" that included the extra verse.  I heard it from the late Rev. Bob, who scored it about a year before he passed away.  So the extra verse and the "Hot Mix" are not necessarily linked.

Lee

Ah, OK. So what we''ll probably be getting in the box is the "subdued" version? First I'd heard there was an alternate to the "Hot" mix and the released version. Never heard/seen it booted before. I'm assuming the "Hot Mix" is the one that was played on the radio special, Lee?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 12, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »

aeijtzsche, the track list is pretty much what I expected, and I'm pretty impressed.  If I have any beef at all, it's with this type of box set in general.  As a die-hard fan (but non completeist), I'll probably end up buying most of these tracks.  But does whoever called the shots really think the casual fan will buy this?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

Lee

Ah, OK. So what we''ll probably be getting in the box is the "subdued" version? First I'd heard there was an alternate to the "Hot" mix and the released version. Never heard/seen it booted before. I'm assuming the "Hot Mix" is the one that was played on the radio special, Lee?

It's a brand-new remix.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »

This

I'm surprised more members of this board aren't disappointed Adult Child got a pretty poor showing, those songs were the ones I was really looking forward to.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 12, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

This

I'm surprised more members of this board aren't disappointed Adult Child got a pretty poor showing, those songs were the ones I was really looking forward to.

I'd have liked more Adult Child, but frankly I'm more excited about stuff I haven't heard than stuff I've had as bootlegs for nearly twenty years...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »

This

Dito. Undecided
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

The direction of this thread illustrates one of the reasons I've stayed away from this board for awhile. The greatest thing a fan community can hope for (a box set release that includes a $hit-ton of unreleased tracks), and everyone just starts ripping the thing apart. And it's a real unpleasant scene ... the general atmosphere of this board is really just out of control.

see ya

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »

aeijtzsche, the track list is pretty much what I expected, and I'm pretty impressed.  If I have any beef at all, it's with this type of box set in general.  As a die-hard fan (but non completeist), I'll probably end up buying most of these tracks.  But does whoever called the shots really think the casual fan will buy this?

That's the $64K question. If you were conducting the train at Capitol, you would have to decide whether a rarities only (or heavily weighted) release would realize greater profit than a career spanning box set with rarities. While I loved Hawthorne, my understanding is that it underperformed in the marketplace.

With today's I-tunes ala carte market model, most of these questions will probably be rendered moot in a decade's time.

Moniker hit it on the head several pages ago; I believe that BRI or Capitol believe that an all encompassing rarities box set is prohibitive in either sales and/or market branding. It is what it is, and I'll be happy with what I can get. Your mileage may vary.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

Count me in on the ones who'd actually love to hear the extra-verse version of R'n'R Music. Heard part of the "hot mix" once in not-so-pristine sound quality and absolutely loved it! Sounded like a huge improvement over the version that eventually got released.

I have a copy of the 'hot mix' also but the sound quality is so appalling I have no idea if it's any better than the released version or not. Actually, on second thoughts the 15BO version is so sh*t anything has to be an improvement.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

This

I'd have liked more Adult Child, but frankly I'm more excited about stuff I haven't heard than stuff I've had as bootlegs for nearly twenty years...
...what about stuff you've heard on every commercial release for the past 50?   Poke

Just sayin!  Grin

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

The direction of this thread illustrates one of the reasons I've stayed away from this board for awhile. The greatest thing a fan community can hope for (a box set release that includes a $hit-ton of unreleased tracks), and everyone just starts ripping the thing apart. And it's a real unpleasant scene ... the general atmosphere of this board is really just out of control.

see ya

So you just want everyone praising the box set for 500+ posts. We're all happy it's coming but the content is obviously going to be criticized.

I find it bizarre some posters are actually insulted because people are unhappy with the box set, it's kind of funny.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx