gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681103 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:33:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212481 times)
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

The one thing I would say is that while the box-set may well appear next year, it is absolute lunacy for them to have allowed it to miss the Christmas season. From a sales point of view they might even be best of postponing it until next October/November.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »

An entirely hypothetical question: would you rather have it half-assed now, or wait a little while and have it done properly, or at least better ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2012, 01:45:28 PM »

An entirely hypothetical question: would you rather have it half-assed now, or wait a little while and have it done properly, or at least better ?

Well there's a back-handed compliment if ever…  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »

If the rumors on the internet are true (that Mike Love has vetoed much of the unreleased material intended for the box set), then the box set has lost much of its reason to exist.

This question has nothing to do with Mike Love, Phil Cohen, or anything controversial. I'm not trying to start anything. But, I'm curious...

What is the process for the final song selection? Must the vote be unanimous? Can one member's veto kill a song? Just for the sake of discussion, what if Al Jardine said (and I know this would never happen), "Surfin' U.S.A. has been on every greatest hits package for the last 45 years. Everybody has it. I don't want it on another comp..." Would his wish have to be taken seriously and could the song be nixed because of one dissenting vote?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:39:07 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »

Why should it have been half-assed at all? My point was that the record company should have planned from the beginning for it to have been available and completed well in time for the Christmas market. It's not like the idea of a 50th anniversary suddenly jumped out on them after all...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

Actually, looking forward it might be a good thing that the box is delayed. It spaces the releases out, and we should start getting used to droughts of reissues/remasters, just in case...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

Scrape the barrel, baby!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

What is the process for the final song selection? Must the vote be unanimous? Can one member's veto kill a song? Just for the sake of discussion, what if Al Jardine said (and I know this would never happen), "Surfin' U.S.A. has been on every greatest hits package for the last 45 years. Everybody has it. I don't want it on another comp..." Would his wish have to be taken seriously and could the song be nixed because of one dissenting vote?

The unreleased songs presumably can be nixed by a single band member.

Capitol could include anything else they wanted to though I would guess.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »

Sad part is, when I was a kid I thought those actually were the lyrics to 'Drift Away'!

Me too, for awhile!  I even sang it out loud to a few friends when it came out and they bought it!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

Why should it have been half-assed at all? My point was that the record company should have planned from the beginning for it to have been available and completed well in time for the Christmas market. It's not like the idea of a 50th anniversary suddenly jumped out on them after all...

Dude, this is The Beach Boys we're talking about here.

To the best of my knowledge, the one-person veto only applies to previously unreleased tracks, although of course Brian vetoed "Let Him Run Wild" from the 1993 box. I think, to take your example further, even if Alan had pitched a hissyfit over "Surfin' USA", Capitol would have said "stuff you, sonny, it's going on the box". Sadly, this means "Barbara-fucking-Ann" will also be included.  Bugger. Angry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:23:15 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »

How sadly true LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »

Sniff, Phil gets welcomed back with open arms and no-one's even acknowledged my return! Cry

Anyway i'm fine with waiting for the box set, admittedly I haven't brought any remasters yet! Is that something I should be admitting on a Beach Boys forum? Shocked
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

Sniff, Phil gets welcomed back with open arms and no-one's even acknowledged my return! Cry

Anyway i'm fine with waiting for the box set, admittedly I haven't brought any remasters yet! Is that something I should be admitting on a Beach Boys forum? Shocked

And you might be... who, exactly ?  Grin

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »

And you might be... who, exactly ?  Grin

I'm the guy who a few days ago couldn't hear out of his right ear, was sat at home wearing a dressing gown and couldn't smile, but that's because I had ear ache! Not because i'm a pot bellied genius who wrote God Only Knows, watches Norbit and has sex with his wife "Twice a day, every day".
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

Whatever my personal opinion of Phil's post, at least he accomplished something by directing the talk back towards Made in California and away from pages of lengthy, tangential discussion about the C50 tour and 'fans,' no?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/music/adv_1/artist_Beach+boys/category_1/target_DETAIL_ARTIST/title_Made+in+California/x_0/y_0/

New listing to me…

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

This much I will say, then move on: Cohen, as is ever the case, is hypothesizing from a position of complete and utter ignorance regarding what is actually going on 'behind the scenes', thus you are safe to completely dismiss his posts out of hand as the empty gibberish that they indeed are. Cast your mind back over the last 18-24 months - which of us has the better track record concerning what we said (or didn't) and what actually happened ?

Exactly.  Grin

Finally, I have tired of shooting fish in barrels with bazookas. I crave a bigger challenge.  Old Man

Your track record is not so great. You said that the box set would be released in 2012. It wasn't.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

This much I will say, then move on: Cohen, as is ever the case, is hypothesizing from a position of complete and utter ignorance regarding what is actually going on 'behind the scenes', thus you are safe to completely dismiss his posts out of hand as the empty gibberish that they indeed are. Cast your mind back over the last 18-24 months - which of us has the better track record concerning what we said (or didn't) and what actually happened ?

Exactly.  Grin

Finally, I have tired of shooting fish in barrels with bazookas. I crave a bigger challenge.  Old Man

Your track record is not so great. You said that the box set would be released in 2012. It wasn't.

Is he supposed to foresee holdups and changes? He's not Nostradamus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2012, 05:01:19 PM »

Yeah...besides, notice it is now a SIX CD set? Gee, I wonder if that added to the delay...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

Exactly.  Grin

Stoked your back Phil... Stoked

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

Exactly.  Grin

Is he supposed to foresee holdups and changes? He's not Nostradamus.
No, Andrew is Nostra-Doe-mus. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »

December 1st, release in late Jan.

I bet $10 on it

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

28 Jan, 2013..

God I hope that's true.. were getting closer  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »

This one seems to be accepting orders.  Isn't that a first?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »

19 March 2013.

Based on absolutely nothing.

But more likely than 28 Jan 2013, unless it's moving faster than i thought...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:23:07 PM by Nightmare on 34th Street » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx