gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 01:26:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 212458 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

Well, the guy has been married a bunch of times...who knows what diseases he might be carrying?

LOL
He unleased the love too many times. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »

Does anyone remember DJ Mic Luv by the way?

A sorely missed opportunity to cash in on the last visionary genre explorations of Brian Wilson, namely, 'Smart Girls'. Glimpsed briefly during Summer Of Love, and no more.

There is still time, Mike, to make your rap opus. If the powers that be are reading this, I offer my services as producer/hype man (a task for which I am already suitably monickered)

I'm Dr. Love, yes I'm the real Love
All you other Mike Love's are just imitating
So won't the real Mike Love please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »

where's the EFFING box set?  Nurse Ratched, where are my pills???

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »

Does anyone remember DJ Mic Luv by the way?

I do.  Well, not on a personal level.  But his (or her...hell, I don't know) version of Smile was my favorite...still might be.  Very Zappa-esque but totally Brian.

Is it still around somewhere? I don't have it. But I fondly remember his 'sleeve notes', a work of art in itself.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

Okay, fair enough.  But a lot of film buffs would still know All Summer Long from its being in American Graffiti.

More people would know it from The Simpsons.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »

Or the commercials for Sonic Drive-in

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PhilCohen
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »

After nearly two months, I have decided to briefly return. If the rumors on the internet are true (that Mike Love has vetoed much of the unreleased material intended for the box set), then the box set has lost much of its reason to exist. After all, we don't need another greatest hits collection. Capitol, EMI and various reissue label licensees already have a number of 2-CD & 3-CD hits collections on the market all over the world. "50 Big Ones" and "The Platinum Collection" are certainly adequate and contain most of the songs that the casual music consumer would want to hear.

Let's say, what if the "Made in California" box set project has already quietly died. Do you think that Capitol Records is going to hold a press conference or release a press statement and officially tell us that the box set project has been abandoned? Obviously, they won't (it's The Wall of Secrecy, Ya' Dig?)

Obviously, there are some die hard true believers amongst you, who are willing to give Capitol until the end of time(or the end of our lives, whichever comes first) to release this box set, but as for the rest of us out here in Compact Disc consumerland, there must come a certain clearly defined point where we assume that this box set is not to be. In my opinion, if there is no announcement of a release date by the end of Summer 2013, then the box set is not to be. But of course, you guys can keep on dreaming and spinning your fantasies of a box set.

And if (note: i say "if") Mike Love's unreasonable demands caused the collapse of the box set project, then he has sealed his fate in history as one of rock n'roll music's greatest villains. (As if derailing The Beach Boys reunion wasn't enough). Our only hope for the future of The Beach Boys & the box set, is that Mike Love has a change of heart(not unlike the mythical Grinch Who Stole Christmas, when he got to the top of the mountain with all the toys that he ripped off from the kids in the village below. The Grinch's heart grew ten sizes, and he went down the mountain on his sled, and returned the toys to the kids)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »

Oh lord.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »

After nearly two months, I have decided to briefly return. If the rumors on the internet are true (that Mike Love has vetoed much of the unreleased material intended for the box set), then the box set has lost much of its reason to exist. After all, we don't need another greatest hits collection. Capitol, EMI and various reissue label licensees already have a number of 2-CD & 3-CD hits collections on the market all over the world. "50 Big Ones" and "The Platinum Collection" are certainly adequate and contain most of the songs that the casual music consumer would want to hear.

Let's say, what if the "Made in California" box set project has already quietly died. Do you think that Capitol Records is going to hold a press conference or release a press statement and officially tell us that the box set project has been abandoned? Obviously, they won't (it's The Wall of Secrecy, Ya' Dig?)

Obviously, there are some die hard true believers amongst you, who are willing to give Capitol until the end of time(or the end of our lives, whichever comes first) to release this box set, but as for the rest of us out here in Compact Disc consumerland, there must come a certain clearly defined point where we assume that this box set is not to be. In my opinion, if there is no announcement of a release date by the end of Summer 2013, then the box set is not to be. But of course, you guys can keep on dreaming and spinning your fantasies of a box set.

And if (note: i say "if") Mike Love's unreasonable demands caused the collapse of the box set project, then he has sealed his fate in history as one of rock n'roll music's greatest villains. (As if derailing The Beach Boys reunion wasn't enough). Our only hope for the future of The Beach Boys & the box set, is that Mike Love has a change of heart(not unlike the mythical Grinch Who Stole Christmas, when he got to the top of the mountain with all the toys that he ripped off from the kids in the village below. The Grinch's heart grew ten sizes, and he went down the mountain on his sled, and returned the toys to the kids)
I guess we won't hear from you again until next Summer. Cya!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »

I am ready for AGD's rant of the century! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »

At this point, my guess is there will be another tour next spring/summer w/ box set release to coincide. Makes the most sense from a business standpoint.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

Paging Mr.Doe....

This much I will say, then move on: Cohen, as is ever the case, is hypothesizing from a position of complete and utter ignorance regarding what is actually going on 'behind the scenes', thus you are safe to completely dismiss his posts out of hand as the empty gibberish that they indeed are. Cast your mind back over the last 18-24 months - which of us has the better track record concerning what we said (or didn't) and what actually happened ?

Exactly.  Grin

Finally, I have tired of shooting fish in barrels with bazookas. I crave a bigger challenge.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

Oh lord.

Yes, my son ? Thumbs Up

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

but what if he's right? What if the sky IS falling?

(Frankly though I suspect Phil's timing is right on the nose… expect it to be put out of joint any day now by an official announcement. It's as if he knew…)

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

Oh lord.

That's not going to be on the box set. Sorry.

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »

I had been slightly worried about this box set. Now Phil Cohen has commented, though, I can happily assume that it's been delayed because they're making it a 27-CD box including the complete Carnegie 1972 show, the whole of Adult Child, a completed, sequenced-by-Brian 1967 Smile, an unreleased Dennis album that no-one even knew had been recorded, and a special, personalised new reunion album, where every purchaser gets their own one-off album with the band singing about them.

At least, that's what I have to presume going from Phil's previous levels of wrongness.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

I had been slightly worried about this box set. Now Phil Cohen has commented, though, I can happily assume that it's been delayed because they're making it a 27-CD box including the complete Carnegie 1972 show, the whole of Adult Child, a completed, sequenced-by-Brian 1967 Smile, an unreleased Dennis album that no-one even knew had been recorded, and a special, personalised new reunion album, where every purchaser gets their own one-off album with the band singing about them.

At least, that's what I have to presume going from Phil's previous levels of wrongness.

I told you to keep all that to yourself. Damn...  Old Man

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »

I told you to keep all that to yourself. Damn...  Old Man

Stranger things have happened, most of them in the last 12.5 months!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

After nearly two months, I have decided to briefly return.

I knew you couldn't resist.

If the rumors on the internet are true (that Mike Love has vetoed much of the unreleased material intended for the box set), then the box set has lost much of its reason to exist. After all, we don't need another greatest hits collection. Capitol, EMI and various reissue label licensees already have a number of 2-CD & 3-CD hits collections on the market all over the world. "50 Big Ones" and "The Platinum Collection" are certainly adequate and contain most of the songs that the casual music consumer would want to hear.

I actually agree with some of this.  To many new and average fans, another greatest hits box might appeal to them. But to the hardcores like us, we're clamoring for unreleased/alternate/live takes (or complete live shows). I'm real tired of all these greatest hits collections, even the ones with a couple of stereo tracks thrown in there as an incentive to buy. I hope to hell they're not thinking of releasing a new Best Of box with a couple of "new" tracks (i.e. WIBNTLA or stereo Wild Honey/Friends/20/20 album cuts) thrown in for good measure. They're already re-done most of the mono tracks in stereo. And if Mike Love is indeed vetoing some of the good sh!t thats been asked for and suggested on this board to be included, I'm shying away from buying this box new.  

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »

I actually agree with some of this.  To many new and average fans, another greatest hits box might appeal to them. But to the hardcores like us, we're clamoring for unreleased/alternate/live takes (or complete live shows). I'm real tired of all these greatest hits collections...

This box has 6 CDs - even if you included every charting single, including the two in the Xmas chart and them as charted in the country list, you'd still have at least three CDs to fill, probably more. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »

OK fine, AGD.  This new box is gonna be totally bitchin' then.  Maybe even rival the '93 box.

Gimme the Beach Boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your Rock 'n Roll and drift away......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »

Sad part is, when I was a kid I thought those actually were the lyrics to 'Drift Away'!

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »

Oh lord.

That's not going to be on the box set. Sorry.

:D

Damn, I was hoping for a higher quality cocaine version, or something from the attempt during the 1985 sessions.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »

It's good to see you again Phil - won't you please stay?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx