gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 07:44:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 576453 times)
kasam7
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »

Where can one order these new CDs from
Thanks
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »

Well, as posted earlier, right here, in this very thread, you can order them from EMI Japan's online store.

And they're also now available on Amazon JP, and I believe Phil Cohen mentioned that they're at HMV Japan also.

To quote (courtesy of Google translator):

"These are currently only CD release of all Japan, the package specification and newly renovated Dejisurivu."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:43:49 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »

"Dejisurivu" would appear to mean "digital sleeve specification"… I think; which might mean the sleeves have been created using new digital scans of the original artwork, at a guess…
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:52:20 PM by John Manning » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

Well, as posted earlier, right here, in this very thread, you can order them from EMI Japan's online store.

And they're also now available on Amazon JP, and I believe Phil Cohen mentioned that they're at HMV Japan also.

To quote (courtesy of Google translator):

"These are currently only CD release of all Japan, the package specification and newly renovated Dejisurivu."

Didn't see them on Amazon Japan - they are on HMV Japan.
Was hoping we had a couple Japanese members who could fill us in with information when these get released over there.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

Didn't see them on Amazon Japan

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ザ・ビーチ・ボーイズ/e/B000APTGZ0

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the head's up John.  I sure wish Capitol would get off their duff and and make an announcement here soon.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 11, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the head's up John.  I sure wish Capitol would get off their duff and and make an announcement here soon.

I'm sure they will – if there's an announcement to be made.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 11, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

Angry It's all in Japanese
Computer Smash!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 11, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.jp%2Fザ・ビーチ・ボーイズ%2Fe%2FB000APTGZ0%2Fref%3Dsr_tc_img_2_0%3Fqid%3D1342045925%26sr%3D8-2-ent&act=url

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »

When I search for new Beach Boys product from the translated site, I can't find the new remasters. I can only find them via the link John posted somewhere above. I wonder if Amazon JP will offer 30 second samples at some point?

ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »

well theres two good vibrations on the smiley disc. So official stereo mix?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

When I search for new Beach Boys product from the translated site, I can't find the new remasters. I can only find them via the link John posted somewhere above. I wonder if AmazonIJP will offer 30 second samples at some point?

Given the quality of amazon's sound samples and the fact that these are remastered versions of tracks we've had since, in some cases, the start of the '60s, I can't see any value in that. Even the new stereo clip of GVs will, coming off a PC's soundcard and speakers, sound like a fourth generation cassette transfer, surely? Only way to sample 'em properly is going to be to buy them.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »

Not possible.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »

Not possible.

Well reminded -  I should amend my latest post to read "Even the assumed stereo clip of GVs will, coming off a PC's soundcard and speakers, sound like a fourth generation cassette transfer, surely?"

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2012, 03:49:20 AM »

Wow, this thread with its dearth of information (what little there is obfuscated by crazy Japanese-English translations) is surely custom built for Phil Cohen!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:29 AM »

Not possible.

Which makes you wonder - what are they doing for these that they thought they absolutely should not do for TSS? Mark and Alan were interviewed about the stereo GV and said they just couldn't, and that it would sound awful. Label cracking the whip?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53:16 AM »

Not possible.

Which makes you wonder - what are they doing for these that they thought they absolutely should not do for TSS? Mark and Alan were interviewed about the stereo GV and said they just couldn't, and that it would sound awful. Label cracking the whip?

Maybe it's not the single version? Maybe they've used one of the earlier mixes, or a  live version? Or maybe the tracklisting has been released too early, and is incorrect.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »

Not possible.

Maybe it's not the single version? Maybe they've used one of the earlier mixes, or a  live version? Or maybe the tracklisting has been released too early, and is incorrect.

It could possibly be a instrumental mix like on the EP. There have been several fan-made GV stereo mixes using digital extraction techniques. Technically, not "true stereo", but it could also be that.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2012, 04:26:56 AM »

Original, and goole translation:

8月にブライアン・ウィルソン参加としては33年ぶりの来日公演を行なうビーチ・ボーイズ(The Beach Boys)の来日を記念して、彼らのオリジナル名盤12タイトルの最新デジタル・リマスタリング・シリーズが7月25日に発売されることが決定! これらはすべて日本盤のみの発売となります。

Brian Wilson as participation to commemorate the visit to Japan (The Beach Boys), the digital re-mastering the latest series of 12 titles they board the original name of the Beach Boys performances in Japan for the first time in 33 years in August decision that will be released on July 25! These will be released of all Japanese release only.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

Not possible.

Duophonyc? I mean, "duophonic"?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 12, 2012, 06:19:29 AM »

I doubt it's a duophonic mix. For songs where a complete stereo mix just isn't possible (such as "Good Vibrations"), I would hope they'd just mix what's there into stereo. In the case of "Good Vibrations", that likely means the same stereo instrumental we've heard before, which is fine with me. A few bits of vocals do still exist, but it'd sound strange and fragmented to have them just pop up over the stereo backing track. They'd be interesting to hear and should have made the TSS box set, but having them on a stereo twofer would be odd.

Some day, I'm sure technology will change a bit and a very convincing makeshift stereo mix can be achieved. Folks around here have gotten some impressive results, although there are still issues (imo) that I wouldn't want to hear on an official release.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »

Original, and goole translation:

8月にブライアン・ウィルソン参加としては33年ぶりの来日公演を行なうビーチ・ボーイズ(The Beach Boys)の来日を記念して、彼らのオリジナル名盤12タイトルの最新デジタル・リマスタリング・シリーズが7月25日に発売されることが決定! これらはすべて日本盤のみの発売となります。

Brian Wilson as participation to commemorate the visit to Japan (The Beach Boys), the digital re-mastering the latest series of 12 titles they board the original name of the Beach Boys performances in Japan for the first time in 33 years in August decision that will be released on July 25! These will be released of all Japanese release only.

Shoot. If it's indeed a Japan-only release, then honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if these remasters presented albums that had stereo/mono mixes in full, but in the cases of Smiley Smile or Today!, they may be the mono mixes and the duophonic mixes given that these seem to be an attempt at a "Let's release definitive, as-close-as-you-can-get-to-the-original versions" kind of remasters. I don't think they'd take the time to make a bunch of new stereo mixes and then only release them in Japan.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2012, 06:33:01 AM »

I don't think they'd take the time to make a bunch of new stereo mixes and then only release them in Japan.

Agree, and I hope the statement can be read as simply implying that they won't be released in this format outside of Japan.

Maybe the rest of the world will get a Capitol Years box set of the remastered Mono/Stereo albums, and maybe a successor Brother Years albums box set of remasters:

Box 1 Surfin' Safari to 20/20

Box 2 Sunflower to 'KTSA

and the option to buy both together, bundled with an exclusive 4-disc Box 3 "For Diehards: The Lean Years" (encompassing '85 thu' to Summer In Paradise, with assorted strays such as Crocodile Rock & Happy Endings etc).

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 12, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »

I don't think they'd take the time to make a bunch of new stereo mixes and then only release them in Japan.

Agree, and I hope the statement can be read as simply implying that they won't be released in this format outside of Japan.

Maybe the rest of the world will get a Capitol Years box set of the remastered Mono/Stereo albums, and maybe a successor Brother Years albums box set of remasters:

Box 2 Sunflower to 'KTSA

and the option to buy both together, bundled with an exclusive 4-disc Box 3 "For Diehards: The Lean Years" (encompassing '85 thu' to Summer In Paradise, with assorted strays such as Crocodile Rock & Happy Endings etc).

I'm in!  In this day and age of repackaging existing material for exorbitant prices -- why the heck not?!!!  Today, single albums are getting massive multi-disc boxes, north of $100.  Even the Beach Boys had their beautifully packaged little boxset of all their singles....

So...it's not too much to ask to get a "Beatles in Mono-" sort of box for all the Beach Boys.  Mono/Stereo...all their albums.  250 bux.  I couldn't afford it....but still.   Undecided    I just want it to sound good though.  Not overly processed, compressed and jacked-up.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »

Box 2 Sunflower to 'KTSA

This would be totally ideal for me. If they're gonna do a total catalog overhaul, they should do it right. Like, I really can't listen to most of SIP, but keeping it out of print and omitting it from the tour programs is just dumb. It happened, you can't take it back, all albums and events are important to your history and your existence as an artist in one way or another, so pretending like it didn't happen doesn't really work.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx