gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:51:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566811 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 12, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

I finally bought all of these over the last few months (except for Sunflower and Surf's Up, I'm sticking with the twofer).  It looked like they were going to go out of stock quickly on Amazon so I just went for it.  I think they're great but the only thing that bothers me is lack of liner notes.  The booklets for the twofers were so detailed, I mean they couldn't even use the 2001 liner notes for Pet Sounds (not that I personally need them as I have the Sessions box set).

For Sunflower, I like the 2012 mastering.  More than the 2000 twofer anyway.  It's not as boxy sounding.  Perhaps there's less NR.  The highs are crisper, cleaner and more detailed.  Good for this album.  There's a lot of delicate detail and oodles of crazy vocal layers and acoustic guitars.  It can be a tad aggressive.

Surf's Up is a different story.  I might actually like the warmer sound of the 2000 twofer more.  For some songs the 2012 is better.  Feet is better on the 2012 for example.

For all the other albums it's no contest.  In general, I like the 2012 remasters much, much more (though I haven't done any intense comparisons).  Overall, the 2012s are not as loud yet retain more detail.  Plus the mono/stereo is a slam dunk.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:09:01 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2576 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

I finally bought all of these over the last few months (except for Sunflower and Surf's Up, I'm sticking with the twofer).  It looked like they were going to go out of stock quickly on Amazon so I just went for it.  I think they're great but the only thing that bothers me is lack of liner notes.  The booklets for the twofers were so detailed, I mean they couldn't even use the 2001 liner notes for Pet Sounds (not that I personally need them as I have the Sessions box set).

For Sunflower, I like the 2012 mastering.  More than the 2000 twofer anyway.  It's not as boxy sounding.  Perhaps there's less NR.  The highs are crisper, cleaner and more detailed.  Good for this album.  There's a lot of delicate detail and oodles of crazy vocal layers and acoustic guitars.  It can be a tad aggressive.

Surf's Up is a different story.  I might actually like the warmer sound of the 2000 twofer more.  For some songs the 2012 is better.  Feet is better on the 2012 for example.

For all the other albums it's no contest.  In general, I like the 2012 remasters much, much more (though I haven't done any intense comparisons).  Overall, the 2012s are not as loud yet retain more detail.  Plus the mono/stereo is a slam dunk.  

My one problem with this 2012 Sunflower? The tambourine is missing off the end of Our Sweet Love. Why??? Instead it just fades out. 
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »

There's actually more NR on the 2012 Sunflower. Listen to the intro of Forever and listen for the fluctuating hiss and muffled sound.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:34:25 PM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 22, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »

My one problem with this 2012 Sunflower? The tambourine is missing off the end of Our Sweet Love. Why??? Instead it just fades out. 

It was sourced from a different tape? But yeah that's weird.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

Is that a tambourine? I thought it was sleigh bells.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: August 24, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

I am sorry if I offend some folks on this board but I really don't like these 2012 remasters.  It is like the constant fiddling that goes on with The Beatles catalog, in the end it doesn't sound much like the original albums I grew up listening to.  Perhaps I am just being awkward about the whole issue, I really don't know.  It reminds me of George Lucas and his constant "tweaking" of his classic "Star Wars" series.  They cannot leave it alone! 
Well, that's my two cents on the subject! 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »

I am sorry if I offend some folks on this board but I really don't like these 2012 remasters.  It is like the constant fiddling that goes on with The Beatles catalog, in the end it doesn't sound much like the original albums I grew up listening to.  Perhaps I am just being awkward about the whole issue, I really don't know.  It reminds me of George Lucas and his constant "tweaking" of his classic "Star Wars" series.  They cannot leave it alone!  

What do you mean in regards to the "constant fiddling" of The Beatles music? Before the 2009 remasters the CD's dating from the mid-80's is all that was available on that format. Besides that the remasters sound much closer to how they originally sounded on UK vinyl, particularly the Mono albums!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:48:53 AM by SamMcK » Logged
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

I am sorry if I offend some folks on this board but I really don't like these 2012 remasters.  It is like the constant fiddling that goes on with The Beatles catalog, in the end it doesn't sound much like the original albums I grew up listening to.  Perhaps I am just being awkward about the whole issue, I really don't know.  It reminds me of George Lucas and his constant "tweaking" of his classic "Star Wars" series.  They cannot leave it alone!  

What do you mean in regards to the "constant fiddling" of The Beatles music? Before the 2009 remasters the CD's dating from the mid-80's is all that was available on that format. Besides that the remasters sound much closer to how they originally sounded on UK vinyl, particularly the Mono albums!

Ah, indeed you are correct about the 2009 Beatles remasters.  I guess I lost my head there for awhile...

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx