gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:56:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 128451 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

Forget the reunion album--I'm far more excited about the 50th anniversary releases that Capitol is expected to put out.  Supposedly a "career-spanning" box set is in the works, as is another greatest hits compilation.  Can we expect any deluxe editions of any of their albums (hopefully *not* Pet Sounds, although it is inevitable).  There was talk of a stereo version of "Wild Honey" being released; not sure if it's just the song or the album of the same name.  What else should we expect?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

I'm far, far from the most knowledgeable member of this board, but my recollection is that the talk of a stereo wild honey was not actually reflective of any planned release.  What Mark and Alan were talking about was how they found the 67 version of Surf's Up, and they were saying was that they had been generally going through the entire catalogue to figure out what they had to work with, in terms of future releases and particularly future stereo remixes, and the reason Wild Honey in specific was mentioned was because they found Smile stuff on those tapes, not because Wild Honey in particular was planned for anything.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

The new album is the biggest thing in my mind at this point. But for catalogue releases I more than once mentioned that I'd love to have the '65 Chicago concert. That's on top of my list. I also would like to see a CD (or two) with all the single mixes that were different to the album mixes and aren't available. California saga, It's ok, Here comes the night '78 and Rock and roll music appeared on the Best Of The Brother Years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »

I want the complete box set of their entire catalog in mini-LP reproduction packaging. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

1. Live box set, spanning 50 years (including Chicago '65, Michigan '66, Hawaii and New York '67, Paris '68, Carnegie '72, Red Barn Unplugged '93, etc.).
2. Wild Honey (and Smiley Smile) in stereo with boner tracks.
3. Scrape the barrel and release another Endless Harmony/Hawthorne set (emphasizing the Brother years).
4. Greatest Hits comp with more titles in stereo that haven't been released and "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

1. Live box set, spanning 50 years (including Chicago '65, Michigan '66, Hawaii and New York '67, Paris '68, Carnegie '72, Red Barn Unplugged '93, etc.).
3. Scrape the barrel and release another Endless Harmony/Hawthorne set (emphasizing the Brother years).
4. Greatest Hits comp with more titles in stereo that haven't been released and "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again".

Been dreaming about that live box....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

Think of the tackiest thing you can imagine and then add a surf board Wink

Seriously, I'm expecting the usual stuff, tee shirts with the reunion logo on them, re-issued albums, all with a prominent reunion sticker on all the front of the cases (stuff like the SMiLE sessions will have the sticker added on them too). How I would do it would be release Two albums a week (priced reasonably, not £15 like the Beatles reissues) starting ASAP, that's 14 weeks, and on the 15th week after loads of hype and coverage of the tour they release the new album.

OR they could do what Sparks done with their reissues, perform a song or two from each album in concert and after the tour re-release the albums with these new live versions added as a couple of the bonus tracks.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »

Seriously, I'm expecting the usual stuff, tee shirts with the reunion logo on them, re-issued albums, all with a prominent reunion sticker on all the front of the cases (stuff like the SMiLE sessions will have the sticker added on them too).

Wouldn't be surprised if they added the sticker on all the Full House DVD sets too.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »

Been dreamin' bout them boner tracks  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »

I'd prefer another Endless Harmony or Hawthorne set over  rereleasing all the individual albums with a couple bonus tracks.

I really hope we get a few live releases from the vaults.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »

How I would do it would be release Two albums a week (priced reasonably, not £15 like the Beatles reissues) …

I'm happy to pay the going rate if it's done right. Good packaging, good bonus tracks, top mastering, remixing where called for…  If the Beatles packages had been remixed (I'm talking proper stereo), they'd've been worth even more than we paid for them.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

A live 70's box would be my dream. They recorded many shows from 1972-1973 not to mention the Beachago shows from 1975. Or maybe the Complete Mike Love & Adrian Baker Sessions Box Set. Nah.....
SG7
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

Adult Child?

Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »

Been dreamin' bout them boner tracks  LOL

Dreaming and boner tracks kinda go hand in hand, John.  Tongue

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »

I think a DVD with their TV appearances would be great

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »

They recorded many shows from 1972-1973 not to mention the Beachago shows from 1975.

How 'bout Luxemborg. As in Radio Luxemborg?  Both New Jersey and Bumfuct, North Dakota were other good live ones from '74.

You know, I use to be all for the Beachago shows. Still am. One of the best Beach Boys concerts I ever saw. But since this new Chicago live release just came out (with the Chicago/Beach boys recorded in 1975 but the Beach Boys cut out) I just wonder if that's the only thing close to a Beachago concert that's going to come out. Not sure why the Beach Boys were edited out of the mix (contractual issues?) but anyway I think the way to go is to include Beachago tracks in the Beach Boys live box, with just the highlights - the best stuff with the Chicago horn section and "Wishing You Were Here" and "Saturday In The Park" and "Darlin'" and stuff like that with both bands on stage. That's all that's needed, not necessarily an entire Beachago concert. But since this new Chicago live release came out with no Beach Boys vocals heard on it, I wonder if we would be able to get both bands recorded live together. Maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:20:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

They recorded many shows from 1972-1973 not to mention the Beachago shows from 1975.

How 'bout Luxemborg. As in Radio Luxemborg?  Both New Jersey and Bumfuct, North Dakota were other good live ones from '74.

You know, I use to be all for the Beachago shows. Still am. One of the best Beach Boys concerts I ever saw. But since this new Chicago live release just came out (with the Chicago/Beach boys recorded in 1975 but the Beach Boys cut out) I just wonder if that's the only thing close to a Beachago concert that's going to come out. Not sure why the Beach Boys were edited out of the mix (contractual issues?) but anyway I think the way to go is to include Beachago tracks in the Beach Boys live box, with just the highlights - the best stuff with the Chicago horn section and "Wishing You Were Here" and "Saturday In The Park" and "Darlin'" and stuff like that with both bands on stage. That's all that's needed, not necessarily an entire Beachago concert. But since this new Chicago live release came out with no Beach Boys vocals heard on it, I wonder if we would be able to get both bands recorded live together. Maybe not.

I wondered if they were holding back on the BBs set for a 50th anniversary release.

Also, I assume the 1975 Wembley gig was recorded from the soundboard, as the Elton John segment has already been released as part of the Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy deluxe edition.   That show has such a fantastic reputation; would love to hear whether it's justified.

Update: according to an eye-witness customer review on Amazon.uk, the gig was filmed as well…  Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:40:23 PM by John Manning » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »

I wondered if they were holding back on the BBs set for a 50th anniversary release.

Also, I assume the 1975 Wembley gig was recorded from the soundboard, as the Elton John segment has already been released as part of the Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy deluxe edition.   That show has such a fantastic reputation; would love to hear whether it's justified.

Update: according to an eye-witness customer review on Amazon.uk, the gig was filmed as well…  Fingers crossed!

Isn't that this show? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbBPhodF4Q

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »

Pretty sure that clip's from an earlier show as Blondie and Ricky had left the band by '75.

Eric's excellent gig archive:
http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-21-75.html

The clip is more likely June 3, 1972, Crystal Palace Bowl, London, the line-up of which also featured Elton John, among others. (as reported at AGD's Bellagio site; to quote: "Broadcast on June 28th by NBC TV as 'Good Vibrations from London', with four songs from the BB. Elton John guested on the encore.").

So there's another potential anniversary release!

What's struck me while looking the gigs up is the set list from the Wembley gig. This was the set list supposedly full of hits that blew Elton, the Eagles etc off stage.

Yes, it has hits included, but also Sail On Sailor, The Trader, Surf´s Up, California Saga/California & You Are So Beautiful (then a pretty new song).

Among the hits played are Wouldn´t It Be Nice, I Can Hear Music, Heroes & Villains, Don´t Worry Baby, & Darlin´.

Then there's the staples  - Sloop John B, California Girls & Good Vibes – and the encore guarantees – I Get Around, Surfin´ USA, Barbara Ann, Fun, Fun, Fun.

I'd be happy to hear them play that set list this year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:12:39 PM by John Manning » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »

Ah, '75. Missed that....  I'm getting slow in my old age.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »

I think a DVD with their TV appearances would be great
That would be great. Yet it would be complicated to acquire the rights for publishing from the various holders of rights (TV stations or whatever). Don't think that's gonna happen.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

Some of that, probably.

Regarding the studio LPs I guess they will just reissue the old 2fers with a reunion sticker on the front (like GuyOnTheBeach said). I don't see a new WILD HONEY mix happening... same goes for SMILEY SMILE.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »

I'd say I prefer all the albums to be remastered, and have each be released separately instead of in two-fers. I think the two-fer approach kinda undervalues the great work on some of those albums.

I'd assume that since a lot of the albums are so short, they would put bonus tracks on them. Although I would imagine the new box set will have a nice helping of unreleased material.

However, I wouldn't mind a compilation focusing on just unreleased material. Maybe just one disc. Hopefully like 20 to 25 songs. That would be fine with me.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »

A complete studio albums box set released in stereo is what I'm dreaming about..

If it ends up just being 2 new compilation albums and the new album I'll be devastated  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »

They should start a bootleg series (a la Bob Dylan) that collects classic concert recordings and rare demos.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx