gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681467 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 03:22:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 130478 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

At $20 for a CD and a tshirt (and a nifty box), that's a steal !

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:59:42 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »

Sorry folks but that package is pure opportunism - going by that artwork, it's not even a 50th anniversary T ... Probably some left over stock from 2003 when that set was first put out. Great set, but I don't need either a fourth copy or a lame T.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

Sorry folks but that package is pure opportunism - going by that artwork, it's not even a 50th anniversary T ... Probably some left over stock from 2003 when that set was first put out. Great set, but I don't need either a fourth copy or a lame T.

Some 'fan' you are !  Cheesy

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

I might have sprung for it had the tee shirt been the 50th Anniversary logo, but not for this shirt. I already have Sounds Of Summer and Sights And Sounds Of Summer. This fan is passing on this first round offering.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PhilCohen
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »

Round 2 between Phil and AGD begins.... Pirate

Not really. I don't engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed adversary.

And to prove my point to perfection...

No, not really. If Capitol proposed a track listing for a 50-track 2-CD hits package, then changed their minds and decided not to issue it, then there would be no harm in Mr.Doe telling us what the track listing would have been.

The words "confidence" and "trustworthy" just aren't in your dictionary, are they ? Suppose, for the sake of argument, that I was privvy to a proposed track-listing for a 50-song/2CD set (which comment, btw, was entirely off the cuff, not that you'll believe me) via someone involved in the project who'd asked me to keep it to myself, and that said notion was subsequently abandoned, or morphed into something else (just as 40 Top 40s did back in 2003). According to Cohen, that the project will now not come to fruition is all the justification and excuse I'd need to break the confidence shown in my ability to keep something to myself. Of course, as any sentient being would appreciate, what would actually happen is that said source would dry up at warp speed and take several more with it. And that, my friends, is why some folk have these sources, and Phil Cohen doesn't. That's it. No more on this topic. Been there, done that, won the battle.

But this time, we're not talking about unreleased material. With or without your cooperation, any of us computer owners with a CD burner and a thorough collection of Beach Boys CD's could create a 50-song collection of Beach Boys hits. You're not exactly dealing from a position of power this time. And I have no doubt that if I look on Amazon.com, that Capitol or one of their licensees, somewhere in the world have already released one or more 2-CD or 3-CD Beach Boys collections. I tend not to hold onto Beach Boys compilations unless they have previously unreleased outtakes or remixes, but I used to have a 2-CD Beach Boys hits collection from Toshiba/EMI called "Twin Best 40". After better sounding CD releases of those songs became available, there was no reason to keep that 2-CD set in my collection.

The 50-song set(even if it ends up being released) will have nothing to interest the avid collector. Its reasons for existence are commercial, not artistic. In short, it's "product", and not worth another jousting match with you.

And really, what difference does it make(to Beach Boys CD collectors) whether they release this hits package or not? With the release of the 2-CD & 5-CD "Smile" boxes,  Mr.Doe has become obsolete.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:34:33 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

... Brief moment of silence before the cantina crowd return to their drinks...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »

I'm not this ghost person and I'm just having a laugh. I'm not a troll.

35 posts in 5 days is pretty much the same thing we had from ghost, though to be fair you haven't yet started trying to convince everyone that Brian is better off on hard drugs or that everything Brian ever did is psychedelic.  Smiley

Leave the poor bastard alone. All he wants to do is talk about The Beach Boys and you guys are calling him out on something he has absolutely no idea about. I thought this place was friendlier.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »

35 posts in 5 days is pretty much the same thing we had from ghost, though to be fair you haven't yet started trying to convince everyone that Brian is better off on hard drugs or that everything Brian ever did is psychedelic.  Smiley

Leave the poor bastard alone. All he wants to do is talk about The Beach Boys and you guys are calling him out on something he has absolutely no idea about. I thought this place was friendlier.

Whoa their Hypehat, my post wasn't unfriendly! I wasn't accusing him of being the latest incarnation of nobody/so cold i go burr/ghost, I was just saying he has posted quite a lot in a short period since joining which was similar to ghost and then went on to say that he hadn't been posting like ghost - my post even had a smiley on the end to show I was being nice!

In fact reading your post YOU are the one being unfriendly - you called him a poor bastard!  Smiley Cheesy Grin (Smileys added to show that this post is lighthearted and merely the result of a misunderstanding).
Paulos
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »

And to get back on topic I'm sure the Sounds Of Summer + T-Shirt box is merely intended to get the ball rolling for the Celebration and we can expect more stuff to be released around summertime.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

I've passed on 'Sounds of...' up until now - I cannot resist a "nifty" box; the t-shirt is just the melted cheese on the toast  Shocked

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »

But this time, we're not talking about unreleased material. With or without your cooperation, any of us computer owners with a CD burner and a thorough collection of Beach Boys CD's could create a 50-song collection of Beach Boys hits. You're not exactly dealing from a position of power this time. And I have no doubt that if I look on Amazon.com, that Capitol or one of their licensees, somewhere in the world have already released one or more 2-CD or 3-CD Beach Boys collections. I tend not to hold onto Beach Boys compilations unless they have previously unreleased outtakes or remixes, but I used to have a 2-CD Beach Boys hits collection from Toshiba/EMI called "Twin Best 40". After better sounding CD releases of those songs became available, there was no reason to keep that 2-CD set in my collection.

The 50-song set(even if it ends up being released) will have nothing to interest the avid collector. Its reasons for existence are commercial, not artistic. In short, it's "product", and not worth another jousting match with you.

And really, what difference does it make(to Beach Boys CD collectors) whether they release this hits package or not? With the release of the 2-CD & 5-CD "Smile" boxes,  Mr.Doe has become obsolete.

Unquestionably the funniest piece of sh*t I've read on this board for months ! You keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »

Hey Mr Doe, you've already forgotten that you're not dealing from a position of power. Embrace your obsolescence, accept it humbly and let Mr Cohen's ascensdency achieve its pinnacle. Anyone with a CD burner and access to an Iron-on T-shirt transfer can be a Beach Boys Historian now, and you'd be as well to remember that.

Edit: almost forgot:  Grin. Grin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:25:38 AM by John Manning » Logged

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »

They should put some uncirculating songs on the new box. I read a while back that Brian had done a recording of himself at the piano singing "In the back of my mind" in 1975. This box could be the only chance we have to finally hear it. Alan Boyd is a very cool dude, he gets to hear it whenever he wants. Cool
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:27:15 AM by over and over » Logged

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 03:02:13 AM »

Good god that's an ugly tshirt

I'll stick to my black flag one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »

They should put some uncirculating songs on the new box. I read a while back that Brian had done a recording of himself at the piano singing "In the back of my mind" in 1975. This box could be the only chance we have to finally hear it. Alan Boyd is a very cool dude, he gets to hear it whenever he wants. Cool

Boyd is indeed a cool dude – as evidenced by all his good acts to date – and will, I'm sure, do his best to enable us to hear as much (of the best stuff that's not yet circulating, please sir!) as possible

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:19 AM »

Everyone's assuming Alan will be centrally involved in the C50 reissue program: I sincerely hope this is so, but maybe he got TSS'd out last year and is taking a break (and I wouldn't blame him).

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:05 AM »

I'm guessing though that no-one knows the vaults like him (and Mark L). I propose that all shore leave be cancelled until the party's over…  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2012, 06:39:55 AM »

Whoa their Hypehat, my post wasn't unfriendly! I wasn't accusing him of being the latest incarnation of nobody/so cold i go burr/ghost, I was just saying he has posted quite a lot in a short period since joining which was similar to ghost and then went on to say that he hadn't been posting like ghost - my post even had a smiley on the end to show I was being nice!

In fact reading your post YOU are the one being unfriendly - you called him a poor bastard!  Smiley Cheesy Grin (Smileys added to show that this post is lighthearted and merely the result of a misunderstanding).

I was a particularly humourless drunk last night, so this probably explains it.  Smiley

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

I was a particularly humourless drunk last night, so this probably explains it.  Smiley

No worries dude, all is as it should be.  angel
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »

Good god that's an ugly tshirt

I'll stick to my black flag one

ehm, yeah, I might even buy that one....

But I'm in a good mood today, just having found that reissue boot of the Carnegie 1972 concert.  Grin (plus a few other goodies I never thought I would find in one day... me loves those small record fairs....)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »

What I'd like:
2 CD reissues of every album, containing stereo mixes & a contemporary live concert and lots of rarities.

What I wouldn't like:
- An expensive career spanning box set sprinkled with a few previously unreleased tracks
- Another best of!

PhilCohen
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

It is obvious that whatever clamoring there was for the possible 2012 CD product, was largely confined to forums such as this one, and even this clamoring has mostly quieted down. Certainly, this clamoring was never in any way equivalent to the intense interest which was generated in the months & seasons preceding the release of the "Smile Sessions" product. This now very quiet situation should send a telling message to Capitol.

If Capitol wants to keep consumer interest (in these forthcoming products) alive, then the ball is in Capitol's court.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:40:55 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »

I have to admit this SOS Tee Shirt box is a pretty anemic way to start off a 50th Anniversary Celebration. Leave it to Capitol and The Beach Boys to f*** up a perfect opportunity to kick off such an important historical musical moment.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

It is obvious that whatever clamoring there was for the possible 2012 CD product, was largely confined to forums such as this one, and even this clamoring has mostly quieted down. Certainly, this clamoring was never in any way equivalent to the intense interest which was generated in the months & seasons preceding the release of the "Smile Sessions" product. This now very quiet situation should send a telling message to Capitol.

If Capitol wants to keep consumer interest (in these forthcoming products) alive, then the ball is in Capitol's court.

Hmmm, how to take "business as usual" and turn it into "Honey, I need to spend some time alone for a while..."!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »

This post is just begging for an AGD reply.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx