gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681443 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 06:43:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "commemorative releases" should we expect for the 50th anniversary?  (Read 130464 times)
Paulos
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »

It is obvious that whatever clamoring there was for the possible 2012 CD product, was largely confined to forums such as this one, and even this clamoring has mostly quieted down. Certainly, this clamoring was never in any way equivalent to the intense interest which was generated in the months & seasons preceding the release of the "Smile Sessions" product. This now very quiet situation should send a telling message to Capitol.

If Capitol wants to keep consumer interest (in these forthcoming products) alive, then the ball is in Capitol's court.

I'm still clamoring for a possible 2012 CD product and a lot of other BB fans are clamoring for it too, if more people were clamoring and got on board with the clamoring for a possible 2012 CD product then Capitol execs might consider our clamoring and say 'Hey, there are lots of Beach Boys fans clamoring for a possible 2012 CD product on the world renowned Smiley Smile message board which is famous for it's clamoring, maybe the general public are also clamoring for a possible CD product too, we should respect their clamoring!'. Clearly, clamoring for a possible 2012 CD product is the way foward people.

Clamoring.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »

It is obvious that whatever clamoring there was for the possible 2012 CD product, was largely confined to forums such as this one, and even this clamoring has mostly quieted down. Certainly, this clamoring was never in any way equivalent to the intense interest which was generated in the months & seasons preceding the release of the "Smile Sessions" product. This now very quiet situation should send a telling message to Capitol.

If Capitol wants to keep consumer interest (in these forthcoming products) alive, then the ball is in Capitol's court.

This post is just begging for an AGD reply.

No point. We all know what the outcome was re: the last major project.  Smiley

As for the SOS repromotion, I'm pretty sure it's got more to do with getting a triple platinum certification before the C50 project takes off than the 50th anniversary shenanigans: note the tshirt doesn't have the Celebration logo.

Also, someone who doesn't grasp why the anticipation for TSS - the news of which came out of the blue (as planned for the beginning of the project) - would inevitably far outstrip that for a 50th anniversary in both the BB cosmos and the larger rock world probably shouldn't be out in the community, for their own good.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »

honestly, I don't give a damn what they do. it's not like other bands I like have had 50th anniversaries that I can compare this one to.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »

honestly, I don't give a damn what they do. it's not like other bands I like have had 50th anniversaries that I can compare this one to.

Well said. Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »

This post is just begging clamoring for an AGD reply.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:54:27 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »

This post is just begging clamoring for an AGD reply.

Phil has bought into one of the biggest myths of capitalist culture which suggests that profit maximization and utility maximization are basically the same thing when in fact, utility maximization is pretty much the opposite of profit maximization.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »

I get the feeling that's the least of Phil's problems.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
PhilCohen
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

But, if consumer interest in these projects quiets down to near total silence, does that really benefit Capitol's interests? At this point, there really nothing to discuss without some vague description of what these projects are.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

But, if consumer interest in these projects quiets down to near total silence, does that really benefit Capitol's interests? At this point, there really nothing to discuss without some vague description of what these projects are.

Capitol, surely, doesn't care and doesn't have to. Consumer interest can be created if need be. The consumer ultimately doesn't matter - profits are where it's at.
PhilCohen
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »

But publicity is designed to create public awareness and interest, leading to people buying the product. Capitol seems to not really give a damn this time. Maybe it's because the 5-CD "Smile Sessions" box didn't sell well. Or maybe because EMI & Capitol are in limbo awaiting European & American government approval for the takeover by Universal Music.

I get the sneaky feeling that even if (this time) Mr.Doe told us what he knows of Capitol's plans(if he does know anything), we wouldn't be very excited. We'd be yawning.

Eventually, I will sit down with pencil and paper and create a 2-CD Beach Boys compilation, perhaps with even more than 50 songs. I will focus mainly on the 1960's songs, because there were only a handful of post-1960's hits(at least in the U.S.A.). Don't worry: I won't overlook "Sail on Sailor", "Rock n'Roll Music", "Come Go With Me", "Good Timin' " & "Kokomo"
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »

But publicity is designed to create public awareness and interest, leading to people buying the product. Capitol seems to not really give a damn this time. Maybe it's because the 5-CD "Smile Sessions" box didn't sell well. Or maybe because EMI & Capitol are in limbo awaiting European & American government approval for the takeover by Universal Music.

I think, perhaps, the most reasonable explanation is that they don't have to. Some things require much more publicity than others. Publicity in itself can be costly - how one goes about publicizing is part of a profit-making strategy.

Plus if they are making enough profit in other areas, they could be releasing things just to keep the brand name within the public consciousness.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:31:40 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »

Did I miss something?  I thought I read (on this board in fact) that TSS did quite well, so much so that a second pressing had to be ordered up.  Sure it wasn't going to sell a million units in January - nothing does anymore - but the word was that Capitol's expectations were happily exceeded, and the sales were far from disappointing.  Is that now considered wrong?   The TSS group of releases is a giganto stinkburger? 

True, assuming big success for TSS doesn't foreshadow a similar monster box set in 2012, nevertheless - big record labels are masters at failing to read the tea leaves, have been for fifteen years now, since Da Intranetz came along.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

The total sales of TSS exceeded Capitol's expectations, as did the reviews. They're very happy with the outcome.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2012, 01:21:22 PM »

Eventually, I will sit down with pencil and paper and create a 2-CD Beach Boys compilation, perhaps with even more than 50 songs. I will focus mainly on the 1960's songs, because there were only a handful of post-1960's hits(at least in the U.S.A.). Don't worry: I won't overlook "Sail on Sailor", "Rock n'Roll Music", "Come Go With Me", "Good Timin' " & "Kokomo"

You really don't know anything about The Beach Boys, do you ? Post-60s USA Top 100 hits:

2/70     Add Some Music To Your Day  64
10/71    Long Promised Road  89
2/73     Sail On, Sailor  79
5/73     California (On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a)  84
7/74     Surfin' USA 36 [R]   
3/75     Sail on, Sailor  49 [R]   
5/76     Rock And Roll Music  5
8/76     It's OK  29
8/78     Peggy Sue 59
2/79     Here Comes the Night 44
4/79     Good Timin'/Love Surrounds Me  40
3/80     Goin' On  83
7/81     The Beach Boys Medley 12
11/81   Come Go With Me 18
5/85     Getcha Back 26
8/85     It's Gettin' Late 82
7/86     Rock And Roll To The Rescue  68
8/86     California Dreamin' 57
7/87     Wipe Out (w/Fat Boys) 12
7/88     Kokomo 1
7/89     Still Cruisin'  93

19 Hot 100 hits (excluding the two reissues)... 8 top 40... 4 top 20... and a #1. Quite a handful.  More than most bands manage in a whole career, never mind past their commercial & artistic peak.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:23:25 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

I get the sneaky feeling that even if (this time) Mr.Doe told us what he knows of Capitol's plans(if he does know anything), we wouldn't be very excited. We'd be yawning.

You're right on one aspect Phil – I'm yawning!   LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »

You really don't know anything about The Beach Boys, do you ? Post-60s USA Top 100 hits:

2/70     Add Some Music To Your Day  64
10/71    Long Promised Road  89
2/73     Sail On, Sailor  79
5/73     California (On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a)  84
7/74     Surfin' USA 36 [R]   
3/75     Sail on, Sailor  49 [R]   
5/76     Rock And Roll Music  5
8/76     It's OK  29
8/78     Peggy Sue 59
2/79     Here Comes the Night 44
4/79     Good Timin'/Love Surrounds Me  40
3/80     Goin' On  83
7/81     The Beach Boys Medley 12
11/81   Come Go With Me 18
5/85     Getcha Back 26
8/85     It's Gettin' Late 82
7/86     Rock And Roll To The Rescue  68
8/86     California Dreamin' 57
7/87     Wipe Out (w/Fat Boys) 12
7/88     Kokomo 1
7/89     Still Cruisin'  93

19 Hot 100 hits (excluding the two reissues)... 8 top 40... 4 top 20... and a #1. Quite a handful.  More than most bands manage in a whole career, never mind past their commercial & artistic peak.

What an awesome and hilarious list (c'mon, going from a # 1 directly to a # 93: with an arguably better song! THAT'S what you call a roller coaster of a career)!

It's also amazing to look at that list which is, according to legend, in the horse latitudes/doldrums of the Band's career, and realize just how many current bands/new artists would be backslapping themselves in a frenzy over scoring any one of those chart positions ever in their careers.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »

Speaking of commemorative releases...  A couple of nights ago I dreamed I saw a handwritten memo similar to the original Wild Honey liner notes that said the proposed Star Line [!] stereo CD of the Wild Honey album was vetoed by Capitol.  I was very bummed, then woke up relieved it was just a dream.  I need to spend less time on this board...
Paulos
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »

Jeez, Mr Cohen you really are a negative nancy aren't you? Do you need a hug?  group hug
PhilCohen
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »

Oh well, there's a number of other artists releasing expanded archival CD's over the next 4 months, and these artists, groups or surviving group members are already revealing at least some information about what will be included in these CD's. I'll turn my attention towards those artists' releases. At least for those releases, there is something for those artists' fans to discuss.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:03:37 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »

Phil, you are aware of the release The SMiLE Sessions, correct? Well, they just fucking released it a few months ago. I think it is ok if they wait a little bit to announce some new stuff, especially if that stuff isn't gonna be released for a little while. Just chill out.

Plus, you say that hardly have anything good left to put out anyways? So what do you care? You shouldn't be excited about any upcoming releases anyways.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »

Phil is a troll who just wants to annoy everybody.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paulos
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »

Oh well, there's a number of other artists releasing expanded archival CD's over the next 4 months, and these artists, groups or surviving group members are already revealing at least some information about what will be included in these CD's. I'll turn my attention towards those artists' releases. At least for those releases, there is something for those artists' fans to discuss.

Good for you, maybe you would like to run along onto these 'other artists' message boards?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »

amen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PhilCohen
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

Phil, you are aware of the release The SMiLE Sessions, correct? Well, they just f*cking released it a few months ago. I think it is ok if they wait a little bit to announce some new stuff, especially if that stuff isn't gonna be released for a little while. Just chill out.

Plus, you say that hardly have anything good left to put out anyways? So what do you care? You shouldn't be excited about any upcoming releases anyways.

But when Mark Linett was asked(on the Icon Fetch interviews) if there was any more unreleased 1960's Beach Boys material, he mentioned the possibility of doing some stereo remixes of previously mono songs. He didn't say that there is any further unreleased material from the 1960's.
PhilCohen
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »

Good for you, maybe you would like to run along onto these 'other artists' message boards?

That is, if those artists had message boards.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx