gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 01:06:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1753624 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #3100 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »

Sometimes, there's very good reasons why things don't happen as quickly as we'd like, and we should be thankful for that.  People, just think of it this way....why did "Good Vibrations" take so long to make?  Because it kept getting better and better!  If it had come out in, say, May of '66, it would have been good...REALLY good.  But not as GREAT as when it finally did come out.  In other words, do you want it NOW, or do you want it to be as GREAT as it possibly can be, even if you have to wait awhile longer?  Trust me, hold your breath...you won't be disappointed.

Reminds me of the legendary quote from a Hollywood producer in the 40s - "Dammit, I don't want it good, I want it Tuesday !"

Dude's name was Cohen, I do believe.

That's clever and rich, and perhaps... a bit of a jab!

Just so you know Andrew, most people named Cohen in America have no relation
to each other. It was a name commonly assigned to immigrant jews at Ellis Island
by customs officals, because the jewish immigrants  didin't understand that they
were being asked to give their name because they understood no English..  All
the Cohen's are in reality, Sharon, Schneider, Grossman, Spielberg and so on.

Phil Cohen however is marching to a drum I don't begin to fathom, whatever his true identity.

What's Phil Cohen going to do once the SMiLE box comes out and six thousand posters and lurkers
all know Phil Cohen said nineteen hundred times there would never be a SMiLE box

I'm well aware that there are many Cohens in the US who have or had no relation to Phil (I doubt he was any kin of Mama Cass, for example) - t'was what we over here in England call "a joke", albeit with a bit of a barb.

And yes, I'm also aware that a certain immigrant entered Ellis Island as Schmel Gelbfitz and left it as Samuel Goldfish.  Grin

No, I'm not related to Ellen Naomi Cohen(Mama Cass Elliot), and for my family, Cohen wasn't a name assigned by Immigrations officials. My roots in the U.S.A. date as far back as 1860 and there were people on both sides of the family named Cohen or Kohen. And for my mother's family, these people have been secular and assimilated since their arrival in the U.S.A.  in the 19th century, and(likely) even before that point. What does a family name have anything to do with the topic we are discussing in this thread?

But back to the subject. For this box set to be in record stores by early October, it would have to be in the manufacturing stage within the next 2 to 3 weeks. That is unlikely. You guys, who so fervently believe that The Beach Boys & Capitol are going to release this box set, have nothing better to do than to keep talking about me, picking on me or demonizing me. If there's no box set at year's end, I envision that some of you will try to blame me for the project's demise, claiming that my impatience caused the compilers to throw in the towel, and abandon the project. In reality, any decision to abandon the project will be forced by one or more of the surviving Beach Boys themselves. I don't think that this box set is really worth all the effort that people on this forum(including, in the past, myself) having been putting into it.  The games (that Capitol & The Beach Boys have played with the fans) have drained much of the potential pleasure from the box set, even if it is someday released. While I still do an occasional post here, in the future, my CD collecting efforts will be directed elsewhere.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »

Seriously Phil, don't flatter yourself. You will never be the cause of TSS not happening, because it is happening this year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 06, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »

Sometimes, there's very good reasons why things don't happen as quickly as we'd like, and we should be thankful for that.  People, just think of it this way....why did "Good Vibrations" take so long to make?  Because it kept getting better and better!  If it had come out in, say, May of '66, it would have been good...REALLY good.  But not as GREAT as when it finally did come out.  In other words, do you want it NOW, or do you want it to be as GREAT as it possibly can be, even if you have to wait awhile longer?  Trust me, hold your breath...you won't be disappointed.

Reminds me of the legendary quote from a Hollywood producer in the 40s - "Dammit, I don't want it good, I want it Tuesday !"

to each other. It was a name commonly assigned to immigrant jews at Ellis Island
by customs officals, because the jewish immigrants  didin't understand that they

Phil Cohen however is marching to a drum I don't begin to fathom, whatever his true identity.

What's Phil Cohen going to do once the SMiLE box comes out and six thousand posters and lurkers
all know Phil Cohen said nineteen hundred times there would never be a SMiLE box

I'm well aware that there are many Cohens in the US who have or had no relation to Phil (I doubt he was any kin of Mama Cass, for example) - t'was what we over here in England call "a joke", albeit with a bit of a barb.

And yes, I'm also aware that a certain immigrant entered Ellis Island as Schmel Gelbfitz and left it as Samuel Goldfish.  Grin

No, I'm not related to Ellen Naomi Cohen(Mama Cass Elliot), and for my family, Cohen wasn't a name assigned by Immigrations officials. My roots in the U.S.A. date as far back as 1860 and there were people on both sides of the family named Cohen or Kohen. And for my mother's family, these people have been secular and assimilated since their arrival in the U.S.A.  in the 19th century, and(likely) even before that point. What does a family name have anything to do with the topic we are discussing in this thread?

But back to the subject. For this box set to be in record stores by early October, it would have to be in the manufacturing stage within the next 2 to 3 weeks. That is unlikely. You guys, who so fervently believe that The Beach Boys & Capitol are going to release this box set, have nothing better to do than to keep talking about me, picking on me or demonizing me. If there's no box set at year's end, I envision that some of you will try toP blame me for the project's demise, claiming that my impatience caused the compilers to throw in the towel, and abandon the project. In reality, any decision to abandon the project will be forced by one or more of the surviving Beach Boys themselves. I don't think that this box set is really worth all the effort that people on this forum(including, in the past, myself) having been putting into it.  The games (that Capitol & The Beach Boys have played with the fans) have drained much of the potential pleasure from the box set, even if it is someday released. While I still do an occasional post here, in the future, my CD collecting efforts will be directed elsewhere.

Are we on the Steve Hoffman board?

And yeah, the games that Capitol has been playing (the 45 singles, the articles, the interviews) are really pissing a lot of people off. Roll Eyes

Cohen, your ignorant responses on this board have drained the pleasure from this board. If you weren't such a troll people wouldn't be picking on you, people wouldn't be demonizing you. But you come here with the same opinion every day (that us Smile Dreamers are living a fantasy-smile-wet-dream if we think that this boxset will actually be released soon) and it got old after the first 50 times you stated it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3103 on: August 06, 2011, 08:15:07 AM »

But back to the subject. For this box set to be in record stores by early October, it would have to be in the manufacturing stage within the next 2 to 3 weeks. That is unlikely. You guys, who so fervently believe that The Beach Boys & Capitol are going to release this box set, have nothing better to do than to keep talking about me, picking on me or demonizing me. If there's no box set at year's end, I envision that some of you will try to blame me for the project's demise, claiming that my impatience caused the compilers to throw in the towel, and abandon the project. In reality, any decision to abandon the project will be forced by one or more of the surviving Beach Boys themselves. I don't think that this box set is really worth all the effort that people on this forum(including, in the past, myself) having been putting into it.  The games (that Capitol & The Beach Boys have played with the fans) have drained much of the potential pleasure from the box set, even if it is someday released. While I still do an occasional post here, in the future, my CD collecting efforts will be directed elsewhere.

OK, forget about all of the fans waiting in vain, you're saying ALL of the enormous amount of work that I, for one, can testify to actually occuring the past few months in relation to this project was for naught?  And those of us doing the work (from me on up) have been toiling in vain?  I don't think so.  Like I alluded to earlier, if a release date gets pushed out more than once, it could (and in this case IS) because those involved are working their hardest (around the clock in some cases) to make this an absolutely mind-blowing package of staggeringly great proportions (in my humble opinion, any way).  You just wait and see.  Smiley 
PhilCohen
« Reply #3104 on: August 06, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »

But back to the subject. For this box set to be in record stores by early October, it would have to be in the manufacturing stage within the next 2 to 3 weeks. That is unlikely. You guys, who so fervently believe that The Beach Boys & Capitol are going to release this box set, have nothing better to do than to keep talking about me, picking on me or demonizing me. If there's no box set at year's end, I envision that some of you will try toP blame me for the project's demise, claiming that my impatience caused the compilers to throw in the towel, and abandon the project. In reality, any decision to abandon the project will be forced by one or more of the surviving Beach Boys themselves. I don't think that this box set is really worth all the effort that people on this forum(including, in the past, myself) having been putting into it.  The games (that Capitol & The Beach Boys have played with the fans) have drained much of the potential pleasure from the box set, even if it is someday released. While I still do an occasional post here, in the future, my CD collecting efforts will be directed elsewhere.

Are we on the Steve Hoffman board?

While we're on the subject of Steve Hoffman, he was one of the first to predict that Capitol wouldn't release The Beach Boys "Smile" recordings, a prediction made before Capitol's box set announcement......a prediction that he still stands by today.
PhilCohen
« Reply #3105 on: August 06, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »

Just because a compiling effort has been made doesn't mean that a box set compilation can't collapse due to artist permission issues. Take for example, Universal Music's two 5-CD sets "The Complete Motown Singles Vols. 12A & 12B", or The Yardbirds "Glimpses" box from the Uk label "Easy Action Records". Despite the enormous efforts put into compiling them, these sets were never released due to artist permission issues.
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3106 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:48 AM »

Tell you what...... let's just all forget about the whole thing.  Roll Eyes

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3107 on: August 06, 2011, 08:30:55 AM »

Just because a compiling effort has been made doesn't mean that a box set compilation can't collapse due to artist permission issues. Take for example, Universal Music's two 5-CD sets "The Complete Motown Singles Vols. 12A & 12B", or The Yardbirds "Glimpses" box from the Uk label "Easy Action Records". Despite the enormous efforts put into compiling them, these sets were never released due to artist permission issues.

But THESE artists (The Beach Boys) are totally behind it.  In the case of the Motown, non-release, they had multiple artists to deal with (a nightmare, I'm sure).  And yes, while each Beach Boy or their estate might have different (and potentially competing interests) in regards to some projects, they are all on board for this.  This release COULD have happened decades ago, had Brian been behind it, but until the last few years, he wasn't.  Now he is.  Trust me, it's going to be a great time to be a Beach Boys fan.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 06, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

Okay, can we state for the record that Phil Cohen's official viewpoint on the SMiLE sessions is that there is a strong likelihood that they won't even be released? Can we make a banner on the top of the page that states this just so I don't have to scroll through 25 posts on every page to see this sh*t and so Phil doesn't have to keep reiterating it?  

We get it Phil. We know your opinion. You may be right. You may be wrong. The point is we know your opinion.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 06, 2011, 08:39:55 AM »

Phil, I don't enjoy seeing you (or anybody, for that matter) being picked on either.  But the Debbie Downer repetition does get old.  I would suggest that you start a new thread called "SMiLE Sessions Box Set Not Coming Out", and you and any like-minded doom-and-gloom board members can post there to your heart's content.  Meanwhile, on this thread the rest of us can enjoy the anticipation of what sounds like a pretty impressive release.  IF we haven't seen it in 6 months or so, feel free to post "I told you so."  Which is probably what you are hoping for more than the box set.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 06, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »

Okay, folks, move along now.  There's nothing to see here.  Go on home......
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 06, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »

We get it Phil. We know your opinion. You may be right. You may be wrong. The point is we know your opinion.

I think this is key here. He's right Phil, we have all gathered that you don't believe the box to be coming out (not to mention why you believe so). And that's perfectly fine, we are all entitled to our opinions. It's just not any point repeating it over and over. Agree?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3112 on: August 06, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »

There people who have posted on this board that the set will happen because they are optimistic, and because they have seen nothing to persuade them otherwise. These are what we call fans. They're good, good people.

There are also people who have posted that it will happen because they are either involved, or they have been told it will happen by those involved, or because they have reliable sources. Don't know about you, but I'd tend to believe these people, if only because there's more than one of them. They are also good, good people.

There's Steve Hoffman, who on his own board earlier this year, made claims concerning the near cancellation of the project and his own involvement in 'saving' it that were so laughable that the multi-page thread containing them, and the incredulous reaction from other posters, was summarily pulled. FWIW, my understanding is that SH is not mastering the project.

And then there's Phil Cohen.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3113 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »

PS: the reason I attached a certain name to my "don't want it good/want it Tuesday" quote was that there's someone here who wants the set NOW !!!, the hell with getting it right, and if it can't be now, they'll keep on screaming and stamping their feet* and wanting it NOW!!!, spoiling the party for all the other well-behaved children.

[* exaggeration for dramatic effect, of course]

PhilCohen
« Reply #3114 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »

Tell you what...... let's just all forget about the whole thing.  Roll Eyes

You're right. For the two factions(those who believe a "Smile" box is imminent, and those who doubt that it will appear soon) our discussions are going in circles, going nowhere., leading to personal attacks.  Maybe if the two factions went totally silent, it would appear(to Capitol & The Beach Boys) that no one cares anymore.....which is the last thing that they want. As long as the two factions keep arguing and discussing so passionately, Capitol can breathe easy. They can take seasons or years to announce further information. To create the appearance of apathy might further the objectives of both factions. Both factions WANT the box to be released. Where we differ is whether we think it WILL be released.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 06, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »

I bet you're a pain when you order pizza.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
theCOD
« Reply #3116 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »

Is Phil suggesting that Capital has nothing better to do than tease BB fans?  LOL

I'm totally blaming Phil if TSS isn't released this year.

"Hey, this guy Phil Cohen on the Smiley Smile message board is skeptical about the release of TSS"
"F*CK IT! Everybody go home."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »

Or nothing better than to spend huge amounts of time preparing something they know they aren't going to release. I mean, all for differing opinions, but Phil that doesn't even make sense! It's poor business to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, at least, paying everybody from Mark Linett to the art department to the engineers as they audition tapes and jst not release the thing because, ooh, the fans are talking about it?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3118 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »

Few days back, someone suggest the thread be locked. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm cool with that.

PhilCohen
« Reply #3119 on: August 06, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »

Actually not. I order pizza online, and have the exact same ingredients every time(Green Peppers, Onions, Portabella Mushrooms, Black Olives & Tomatoes)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3120 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »

Actually not. I order pizza online, and have the exact same ingredients every time(Green Peppers, Onions, Portabella Mushrooms, Black Olives & Tomatoes)

Sounds a lot like the pizza eaten by the Mrs. and me last night!  Amy's organic brand, popped it in the oven and it was ready in about 14 minutes.  Life is full of simple pleasures, and pizza is certainly one of them!  As for the SMiLE box set...it will indeed be a pleasure, but one of a decidedly more complex nature...and it will be around a lot longer than the average pizza!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »

Do you then sit there muttering to yourself "The pizza's not coming, my order's been cancelled, the pizza joint has been shut down, the delivery boy's probably had a crash.....etc .." until it arrives?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 06, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

Pizza... MUST ... HAVE ... MEAT ... ON ... PIZZA Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 06, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »

I have been hoisted by my own petard - I want pizza now....  Cry

PhilCohen
« Reply #3124 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

Is Phil suggesting that Capital has nothing better to do than tease BB fans?  LOL

I don't think Capitol intended a hoax or tease by making the March 2011 announcement. But, obviously, unanticipated problems developed. Whether those problems involve artist permission for the song line-up, running order or mixes, or whether it is song publisher permission for non-Wilson compositions, or whether it is artist approval for the liner notes, or whether it is problems getting permission to use Frank Holmes artwork..........we just don't know, but it could be any, all or none of those things.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx