gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 12:57:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53441 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »

It'd be an almost brilliant way to twist this negativity and bad press into fun, $$$, and make the competition a bit friendlier. Why the hell not? Mike could book everybody at the Super-8 Motel, Brian could pay for a fleet of flying buses with chocolate chip cookie dough dispensers. Shake hands like gentlemen, end by sharing the stage on Fun, Fun, Fun.

Carl Wilson Foundation? Think about it. Even if you need fencing masks for negotiations.

I say there's no better premiere venue for this historic showdown than SeaWorld!
OSD, Ron, Wirestone, AGD, and ghost will be the judges for the battle of the bands.

Well, I think some of us in that group would actually get along pretty well. I'm rather fond of AGD and Ron, and OSD doesn't grate on my nerves the way he does on others. Ghost ... well, the problem would be getting him to show up.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »

Lean Mean Al Jardine.
He rules.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »

It'd be an almost brilliant way to twist this negativity and bad press into fun, $$$, and make the competition a bit friendlier. Why the hell not? Mike could book everybody at the Super-8 Motel, Brian could pay for a fleet of flying buses with chocolate chip cookie dough dispensers. Shake hands like gentlemen, end by sharing the stage on Fun, Fun, Fun.

Carl Wilson Foundation? Think about it. Even if you need fencing masks for negotiations.

I say there's no better premiere venue for this historic showdown than SeaWorld!
OSD, Ron, Wirestone, AGD, and ghost will be the judges for the battle of the bands.

Well, I think some of us in that group would actually get along pretty well. I'm rather fond of AGD and Ron, and OSD doesn't grate on my nerves the way he does on others. Ghost ... well, the problem would be getting him to show up.
I had to put a wildcard judge in there.... Grin  Bill Tobelmen is the alternate for ghost.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »

Thing is, he didn't say that: according to Wirestone, what he said was, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike 'blew up the group' (which he didn't). Which I read as, the company declined to pick up the option when they realised that Mike was sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan. Less emotive, to be sure, and a less satisfying strapline, but more accurate.

And that's the whole debate right there. Mike and his guys take the first approach, and talk about it in rational, businessman terms. Brian and Al take the second, and look at it in a very emotional, vibe-based way.

I made that exact point in another thread when people kept throwing the "Mike met his set amount of dates" excuse at me.

Well if the whole thing was just some cash grab to milk the 50 years milestone well I guess Mike was right, do the dates and return to seaworld,  but if it meant more.. which it did to the rest of the band then Mike lived up to his reputation. There is is no way to spin it. Mike's actions were upsetting to anyone who wanted this tour to be from the heart, sadly for Mike it was all business.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »

Right here sweetheart

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

Right here sweetheart

I didn't know you cared!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »

I think it's obvious what the stakes should be. The winning group earns the right to use the BB name in perpetuity.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.
Oh, oh, there he goes again...time to change the meds and, you've all been warned-proceed at your own risk.

You might have missed this one OSD:

Again, nope - he's exceedingly knowledgeable, always makes a valid, balanced point and writes in excellent English, none of which the likes of OSD can manage.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »

Watch the kidney punches fellas

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »

I think it's obvious what the stakes should be. The winning group earns the right to use the BB name in perpetuity.

And the eternal indentured servitude of Foskett.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.
Oh, oh, there he goes again...time to change the meds and, you've all been warned-proceed at your own risk.

Again, nope - he's exceedingly knowledgeable, always makes a valid, balanced point and writes in excellent English, none of which the likes of OSD can manage.

Read, chewed up and already spit out -  has the usual rancid agdster aftertaste. Tongue
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »

Maybe Al does go with whoever will have him in their band, but I wonder how much of the Mike-Al bond/alliance in the 70s was due to the fact they were both sober. You see the Largo show and Carl and Dennis are completely wasted. Brian, it's hard to tell because Brian could seem "off" even if sober.

Al was going to have much more in common with Mike. If the Wilsons had been sober, or even confined their drinking/drug use to after hours, things might have been different.

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

Yes, compilations. The Beach Boys have a pretty big one coming out soon.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »

The idea of both bands playing is actually quite hilarious and wonderful, if they could stow their egos aside and do it for charity, work out set lists together that trade songs... it'd be so much fun! It'd raise a lot of money for charity and fuel fan arguments for years. Mike Love should take the bait, make a Facebook joke about it to show what a reasonable funny guy he is and find some charity to set it up to show how gracious and charitable he is. WIN/WIN, everybody.

Then they get together to do the encore numbers. Together.

I'm so there.  As long as the encore is "Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson"!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »

FWIW, AJ does say "If Mike wants to come back, it'd be wonderful and we'd love to have him. But I don't think at this point it looks like its going to happen."

...Can I just say that I just really like the sense that there's a "we" there?  I hope Brian and Dave feel the same way.  It's a nice change to the dynamic that, rather than Mike and Bruce being the in-group with the others out in the wilderness (i.e, most of 1998-2011), now *they're* inviting Mike and Bruce to come back to *them*.  :-)

If we can get two functioning groups out of this, to me that's a more interesting arrangement than the old status quo.  Me, I'd see either one of them when they next get down to Sydney...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »

Read, chewed up and already spit out -  has the usual rancid agdster aftertaste. Tongue
Your restraint is impressive.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »

Thing is, he didn't say that: according to Wirestone, what he said was, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike 'blew up the group' (which he didn't). Which I read as, the company declined to pick up the option when they realised that Mike was sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan. Less emotive, to be sure, and a less satisfying strapline, but more accurate.

And here, in two sentences, AGD summarizes the entire debate. For folks who think Mike is being unfairly maligned, there is a clear and obvious difference between "blowing up the group" and "sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan."

For those disappointed by Mike's choices, those two things are one and the same. That's certainly how I see them. By sticking to the gameplan, Mike returned to the status quo. And by returning to the status quo, he destroyed a magnificent touring ensemble that delighted audiences around the globe and recorded a rather remarkable album.

And that's the whole debate right there. Mike and his guys take the first approach, and talk about it in rational, businessman terms. Brian and Al take the second, and look at it in a very emotional, vibe-based way.

Well my bone of contention with this whole issue would be to question whether or not it was sound business for the C50 to end?  I mean you could make the argument that by ending the C50, The Beach Boys turned down opportunities to explore a number of different ventures that not only would've netted them money but also would've helped raise the profile of their brand further to modern audiences.  My gauge on the situation is one of the reasons a number of fans are still miffed is that we've never really gotten the explanation we are seeking as to why it was necessary to end the C50.  We've gotten a lot of speculation and even some really good solid comments from those who would have more insight into the situation than the average joe but nothing in terms of an official statement as to why the "good vibrations" had to end.

Again I don't think Shady's necessarily wrong in his most recent posting with references to "cash grab" and motivations.  However to connect the dots on that one we would need crucial pieces of information that either haven't been brought forward yet or perhaps may have be simply the figment of someone's imagination wishing to spin events the way they want to see them spun.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

...But when the sales of the Beach Boys' last album were heavily driven by a highly publicized reunion tour, and indeed a high profile QVC gig, neither of which the current touring Beach Boys would be capable of equalling with only two of the five names attached to it...  Can you see why they'd think an album without the full band around to support it wouldn't be such a good investment?

They're willing to put out Brian's solo album instead, but no doubt that has less of a price tag attached to it from Capitol's POV...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »

I don't usually comment on these heated discussions, but since I kind of ignited this one, I'm going to just put my two cents in.

We all know Mike didn't want C50 to continue and we know what reasons he gave. But, to me, it comes down to priorities. I don't see how there was any legal reason, or even an ethical reason, why Mike and Bruce couldn't have changed their plans. It happens all the time in the 'biz.  I think Mike faced a dilemma. On the one hand, he could go back to the way things were... with Mike Love up front and center, playing comfortable venues with people he likes and riding on the music's past reputation.  On the other hand, he could go forward with the big, new opportunities that were being presented. Opportunities which were, if C50 was any indication,  much more Brian-centric both creatively and personally, and less to his liking. He chose to stay in the comfortable past rather than go forward and explore new things. It's his prerogative, as a performer, to do that. What disappoints me is the fact that he takes the Beach Boys name with him.

I think that's the thing that surprised and disappointed Brian and Al. When those kinds of opportunities surface, you hope to at least give them some consideration with a group decision. But, in this case, Mike Love single handedly decided what the future of the band would be. Al kept mentioning the band's legacy, and that's the very thing that Mike has missed. There was an opportunity for the band, that he claims to be an advocate for, to end their run with a higher degree of excellence. Instead, it's back to County Fairs and Sea World.  

As for Al, Brian and Dave... there's no reason for them to sit around crying in their beer while Mike goes out an does his thing.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming album and the tour/s.

And, you'd better believe, if that Battle of the Band thing develops, I'll be front and center with popcorn!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »

I don't usually comment on these heated discussions, but since I kind of ignited this one, I'm going to just put my two cents in.

We all know Mike didn't want C50 to continue and we know what reasons he gave. But, to me, it comes down to priorities. I don't see how there was any legal reason, or even an ethical reason, why Mike and Bruce couldn't have changed their plans. It happens all the time in the 'biz.  I think Mike faced a dilemma. On the one hand, he could go back to the way things were... with Mike Love up front and center, playing comfortable venues with people he likes and riding on the music's past reputation.  On the other hand, he could go forward with the big, new opportunities that were being presented. Opportunities which were, if C50 was any indication,  much more Brian-centric both creatively and personally, and less to his liking. He chose to stay in the comfortable past rather than go forward and explore new things. It's his prerogative, as a performer, to do that. What disappoints me is the fact that he takes the Beach Boys name with him.

I think that's the thing that surprised and disappointed Brian and Al. When those kinds of opportunities surface, you hope to at least give them some consideration with a group decision. But, in this case, Mike Love single handedly decided what the future of the band would be. Al kept mentioning the band's legacy, and that's the very thing that Mike has missed. There was an opportunity for the band, that he claims to be an advocate for, to end their run with a higher degree of excellence. Instead, it's back to County Fairs and Sea World.   

As for Al, Brian and Dave... there's no reason for them to sit around crying in their beer while Mike goes out an does his thing.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming album and the tour/s.

And, you'd better believe, if that Battle of the Band thing develops, I'll be front and center with popcorn!

Well stated!
When I compare both acts side by side in my mind, I keep coming back to the notion that they are most certainly better all together.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

I made that exact point in another thread when people kept throwing the "Mike met his set amount of dates" excuse at me.

Well if the whole thing was just some cash grab to milk the 50 years milestone well I guess Mike was right, do the dates and return to seaworld,  but if it meant more.. which it did to the rest of the band then Mike lived up to his reputation. There is is no way to spin it. Mike's actions were upsetting to anyone who wanted this tour to be from the heart, sadly for Mike it was all business.

Sad as it is, I can understand Mike's path. Touring with 15 band members (and all their baggage) is more strenuous, in pretty much every regard, than the current 6 piece touring unit.

I've seen Mike and Bruce since the split, and they were excellent. They were, however, not the life changing show the C50 shows were.

You think there's a chance there will ever be another reunion? It seems like now it's impossible. For another reunion, Mike will have to back down to put the Beach Boys back together.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

Sad as it is, I can understand Mike's path. Touring with 15 band members (and all their baggage) is more strenuous, in pretty much every regard, than the current 6 piece touring unit.

I've seen Mike and Bruce since the split, and they were excellent. They were, however, not the life changing show the C50 shows were.

You think there's a chance there will ever be another reunion? It seems like now it's impossible. For another reunion, Mike will have to back down to put the Beach Boys back together.

All of this would have required new contracts, so everything is negotiable: including band size, conditions for performance, recording conditions, bus size and the minimum length of Bruce's shorts.  If Jon Stebbins is right (and no one seems to think he isn't) Mike didn't even allow things to get to the negotiation table. Mike's priority was to do things the way Mike likes it. And, in making that choice, he also single handedly determined the future of The Beach Boys.

IMO, of course.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »

Everybody knows Mike and Bruce we're going to return to their incarnation of The Beach Boys eventually. The issue on our part..or at least mine is how Mike went about his business.

Booking M&B shows a week or two into the C50 tour, turning extra dates, the ridiculous press release. Wouldn't it be nice (no pun intended) if the tour ended in a gracious manor and the door was left open for possible shows down the line, ten to 15 shows from the original Beach Boys every summer, a nice easy schedule for Brian. Nah, never when Mike Love is involved. The man is a genuine psycho.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2013, 08:45:09 PM »

After 50 plus years these dudes are still finding ways to fight... Damn if only Carl was here to keep the peace and Dennis was here to kick the sh*t out of someone!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »

Everybody knows Mike and Bruce we're going to return to their incarnation of The Beach Boys eventually. The issue on our part..or at least mine is how Mike went about his business.

Booking M&B shows a week or two into the C50 tour, turning extra dates, the ridiculous press release. Wouldn't it be nice (no pun intended) if the tour ended in a gracious manor and the door was left open for possible shows down the line, ten to 15 shows from the original Beach Boys every summer, a nice easy schedule for Brian. Nah, never when Mike Love is involved. The man is a genuine psycho.

As a stand alone act, I like what Mike does. He tours fantastic songs and does them justice. But considering how much better they could be, and the fact that the writer of those fantastic songs would like to be involved, I don't think anyone can make a really compelling arguement to justify the Lovesters actions.
I'm excited for Mike's response to Al.
Old Man

OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »

Actually taking up Al's suggestion -- and ending with a long joint encore -- would be great for morale and Mike's publicity.  And he can keep calling the shots with his lean band.  His band wouldn't sound as good as Brian's -- but it would sound better than most people think it would, hence giving his touring band more credibility with the press and those who tend to look their nose at them.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx