gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:26:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53149 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

IMO, neither camp has burned any bridges and both sides always seem to leave the door open to future get togethers.

Very true. I never would have imagined that the C50 shows would happen, f'instance.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

After siding with Mike for the better part of the 70's and 80's it's nice to see Al side with Brian. (Although I hope it isn't just because Brian is where the credibility is at these days.)

I don't think it's Brian's credibility. Al is going to side with whomever lets him into their band. I think Al's comments reflect this, which is why I dismiss a lot of them.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »

Yup, Alan was sooooooooooooooooo upset about what happened that it's taken him all of eight months to say anything concrete about it.

He's been pretty vocal about Mike Love's actions even before the final London show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

Because -- if I'm reading this right -- it was a Beach Boys album. The full lineup isn't together anymore. Brian is now making his own record.

So it's a Beach Boys album, and it's ready to roll, according to ACJ. So, keep the momentum going: release it.

However... strange than no-one else has so much as hinted at this finished followup just sitting there waiting to be released. My guess - and this is all it is, and worth about that much - is that Alan's referring to the cuts left over after Capitol chose those released.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

Sure, makes sense that those would be the foundation for a followup release... I'd love to find out more song titles.

It was mentioned twice in the other thread as it's hard not to notice! READY TO GO??! READY TO GO, ALAN!?!? You just know he thought for SURE Waves of Love would be on it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:50:10 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

I think he meant that they were set to record another album, not release one.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 12:51:54 PM »

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

Because -- if I'm reading this right -- it was a Beach Boys album. The full lineup isn't together anymore. Brian is now making his own record.

So it's a Beach Boys album, and it's ready to roll, according to ACJ. So, keep the momentum going: release it.

There was no record company willing to do so. According to Jon Stebbins, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike blew up the group. There was no longer any functional collection of musicians to promote it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:54:17 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »

There was no record company willing to do so. According to Jon Stebbins, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike blew up the group. There was no longer any functional collection of musicians to promote it.

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »

Brian Wilson ain't dead yet and I'm sure Capitol ran the numbers and opted for a Brian and friends release. At least they could get out there and promote it to positive press instead of pieces from lazy journalists rewriting the fired stuff. It's just bizness.

Plus there's the whole matter of Brian and Joe Thomas owning that sh*t, right? Not surprising how they would choose to use it, then.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:01:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »

Actually I'm going to contradict myself here somewhat and point out that - much as I love Al - he isn't always on the ball re, you know, facts. Didn't he give a much-discussed-on-here interview recently about Smile, in which almost every single thing he said was either completely factually inaccurate or, even worse, just plain utter bollocks.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »

Anyone who says they wouldn't go to this hypothetical showdown is a liar

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

It would be beyond epic! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »

Anyone who says they wouldn't go to this hypothetical showdown is a liar

It would be awesome! And we could take wagers on which band members would be in both groups, or switch between them. (My money is on Cowsill sitting in for a tune or two with BW, and there's no way Jeff can avoid adding some "woo-woos" to Mike's group.)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:15 PM »

They really should consider doing it in a year or so, after they do their own thing. Special guests. A great cause. Rumors of a full reunion for months afterwards. Summer 2014, Hollywood Bowl.

Then do a really cheapo DVD of only 1/4th of the songs played, riddled with overdubs and shots of me in the audience with my mouth open. That's entertainment!

BATTLE OF THE BEACH BOYS. Only one will remain standing. Al Jardine will go feral and leave teeth marks all over Bruce Johnston's precious legs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:16:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »

I took the "a follow-up album ready to go" comment as meaning, not that an album was recorded/mixed/and ready to be released, but that the terms were agreed to and the papers were signed. But, again, that's typical Jardine. He is a total lock to ALWAYS say something in an interview that causes one to scratch their head.

But, as confusing or vague that the "follow-up album ready to go" comment may be, it does raise a very interesting question as to how far the negotiations went (factually, not hearsay), if people did back out, and if it is a dead issue, meaning for the next year or so.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »

Mike's group would focus on surf and car songs and the early hits, Brian's on deep cuts. "Battle of The Beach Boys: Carl & The Passions V. The Pendletones"

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

Mike's group would focus on surf and car songs and the early hits, Brian's on deep cuts. "Battle of The Beach Boys: Carl & The Passions V. The Pendletones"

It should be the opposite. Mike will do "Till I Die" and "You Still Believe in Me" (which he has!) and Brian will rock out on "Shut Down" and "Salt Lake City."

And a million fans' heads will explode at once ...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

AGD would be rocking out in the first row, don't let him tell you otherwise.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »

Could you imagine the bartering for setlists?

Ok, I'll trade you "Don't Back Down" for "Shut Down."

You can do "I Get Around" but that means we get "Surfin' USA."

THE HELL IT DOES!

It's a really fun concept that could get a lot of press and positive attention if they did it with some class and style an- oh yeah. Never mind.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:27:13 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »

They would have to try and sabotage each other's shows.

Hat snatching, back smacking, mic stealing, stool kicking, shorts pulling, autocue smashing mayhem.

The best bit would be when Mike sneaks up to the mixing board during Heroes and Villains and starts screwing with the autotune.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

Or in a tender tribute to obsessive fans, talks over Brian's performance of Heroes and Villains with a Wilson-scripted putdown.

Bruce with a broken bottle in one hand, a devastatingly well-adjusted mic stand in the other...

Totten and Darian goin' at each other with shivs.

Pay per view GOLD.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:29:01 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.

AGD finally addresses the smiley smile class system

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

"Any time, any place... ALAN."

I wonder if he'll respond. They could release taunt tapes in the months leading up to it. OOOOOOO YEAAAAAAH SNAP INTO A SLIM JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 01:37:06 PM »

First off, I still feel as though Mike Love had the right to do whatever he wanted. Do I think it sucks that he didn't wanna continue working with Brian and Al?? Surely. Do I think he's kind of an asshole? Surely.

But here's the other thing. I don't know how the license is renewed or how they deal with it, but as of now Mike Love and Bruce Johnston are still out there touring as The Beach Boys while it seems Brian Wilson and Al Jardine haven't done anything to stop them. Maybe behind the scenes they are, but I'm not sure about that.

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

Andrew, do you really think it would be sensible to release a Beach Boys album of brand new songs if the group has broken up? Would that behoove either the group or Capitol to do that?

Also, why are you insuating that The Beach Boys are a "dead band"? Aren't they touring this summer? You protested that point a few weeks ago. Mike and Bruce are The Beach Boys, right? Or do you only pull that card out when it suits you?

And also, since you are really good at ignoring posts that make you look like an asshole, I doubt you'll answer this one. But here goes anyways:

DO YOU QUESTION THE VERACITY OF JON STEBBINS REPORTING THAT THE GROUP WAS OFFERED A SECOND NEW ALBUM BY CAPITOL BUT THAT MIKE LOVE TORPEDOED IT?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx