gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:06:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 52807 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »

...that says exactly what you think it will. Freed from the Brian 3LP thread, here it is in case you missed it:
http://www.theticker.tc/story/q-a-with-beach-boys-guitarist-al-jardine

Al Jardine: "We were just shocked. After all the momentum we created, that he would want to continue on alone – we didn't understand it. We had a second single (from 2012's “That's Why God Made the Radio”) and a DVD and a follow-up album ready to go. I can understand wanting to tour with your own people, but this was our legacy as a band. To be short-sighted enough to abandon that to do your own thing – it's a shame."

"Brian and I decided that, heck – we're the heart and soul of this thing anyway, we're going to continue to perform the legacy. We have the voices, we have the creative material, and we have a wonderful backing band that Brian has been using for years. You know – we ought to do a contest between the two lineups. (laughs). It could be fun for fans. It would be illuminating."

500% pure uncut Alan: "We might even have a car song on there, if you can believe it – the last one we'll ever do. I'd like to do a song about an electric car myself, but that might be a harder sell. (laughs)"

I'm picturing Brian closing his eyes, folding his arms, then fleeing the studio when it's proposed. I say go for it, it's the new Take Good Care of Your Feet. The new uh, Bill and Sue. Fine, guys - but I LIKE those tracks.

EDIT FOR SAFETY REASONS: The headline is a joke. Despite some sources claiming that there's blood in the water and reports that Al's been stockpiling blowgun darts. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that Mike Love needs to watch his back.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:55:11 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

I'm not into picking sides in the Beach Boys story, but I LOVE this from Al. While I've never been a Mike Love basher, I am pretty disappointed that he chose not to let the C50 thing continue.  I love the candidness and the cockiness from Jardine....the cockiness in the band's history has usually come from other sources, so it's time Al Jardine got his.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:44:20 AM »

The electric car line charms me so much I'm inclined to give him my lunch money without a fight if he tried to bully me for it.

The idea of both bands playing is actually quite hilarious and wonderful, if they could stow their egos aside and do it for charity, work out set lists together that trade songs... it'd be so much fun! It'd raise a lot of money for charity and fuel fan arguments for years. Mike Love should take the bait, make a Facebook joke about it to show what a reasonable funny guy he is and find some charity to set it up to show how gracious and charitable he is. WIN/WIN, everybody.

Then they get together to do the encore numbers. Together.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:49:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »

Also, this thread will easily be 10 pages by tomorrow morning Smiley

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

The electric car line charms me so much I'm inclined to give him my lunch money without a fight if he tried to bully me for it.

Well I saved my pennies and saved my dimes
giddy up giddy up hybrid o'mine
Polluting the earth is a real crime
giddy up giddy up hybrid o'mine
So I finally bought this little 'ol hybrid of mine.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

I drive around and I feel so pure (wah-oooooo)
that's the ticket, the hybrid allure (vroom-vroom-oooo)

It looks so sensible and really plain
like all the rest, so I can't complain.

my friends see me and they point and laugh
I say I did it on the planet's behalf.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »

''We're the heart and soul of this thing anyway, we're going to continue to perform the legacy. We have the voices, we have the creative material, and we have a wonderful backing band that Brian has been using for years''.

Ouch!! It's amusing to read this - particularly Al's 'we were all just shocked' line - and then to read back through all the posts on here from when all this first took place and see posters tying themselves in knots trying to justify Mike's behaviour i.e. 'well he did say it was only ever a temporary thing so it's perfectly fine for him to ditch his cousin [to whom he owes everything] like this so stop with all this oh-so-typical Mike bashing you fiends'.

Well, nope, sorry, no excuse - he behaved like a cold-hearted short-sighted nitwit and here's Al saying likewise.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »

See, all the Mike love defenders can get out following this interview.

Mike was wrong, he pissed people off and because of him the C50 tour will be the last time we will see those guys on stage together. He added his typical spice of negativity to the celebrations.

Thanks Mike, you did it again but at least you reached your "agreed set of dates".

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

Al is a hoot.

... Also, the title of this thread is by far one of the best things about it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:02:54 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

See, all the Mike love defenders can get out following this interview.

Mike was wrong, he pissed people off and because of him the C50 tour will be the last time we will see those guys on stage together. He added his typical spice of negativity to the celebrations.

Thanks Mike, you did it again but at least you reached your "agreed set of dates".

Yup. Unarguably accurate.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

Al is a hoot.

I couldn't resist! It was society what made me done it. I just had to put the words "Jardine" and "explosive" in a sentence together.

Al Jardine: fanning the flames of global conflict since 1961.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:12:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »

This is a really inspired idea from Al. It would be so amazing to have a battle of the bands contest between the two groups.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »

I'm grateful for the link, as I find Al's comments intriguing, illuminating, and generally not the kind of thing one usually gets in the public arena, particularly when big dollars and corporate interests are at play.  I give Al credit for being forthcoming.  Good on him, for that.

That said, beyond thanking ontor for the head's-up (and Al for sharing), I have no interest in making my way through the nuclear explosion of mudslinging, one-upmanship and personal opinion being traded as fact that is sure to come of this.

Try to be decent to one another, folks!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »

Yeah, there's no reason to be mean to some of the only people on the planet who want to discuss Adult/Child as much as you do just because these guys have rough relationships at times. We don't have to actually emulate them. Tho I do kinda want to sue some of you. Just a little bit of suing. Especially you over there... YEAH YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU MOST OF ALL!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »

After siding with Mike for the better part of the 70's and 80's it's nice to see Al side with Brian. (Although I hope it isn't just because Brian is where the credibility is at these days.) But man I am psyched.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »

Yup, Alan was sooooooooooooooooo upset about what happened that it's taken him all of eight months to say anything concrete about it.

"We were just shocked. After all the momentum we created, that he would want to continue on alone – we didn't understand it." Odd that, being shocked by something that had been printed some three months earlier in Rolling Stone.

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »

Yeah, there's no reason to be mean to some of the only people on the planet who want to discuss Adult/Child as much as you do just because these guys have rough relationships at times. We don't have to actually emulate them. Tho I do kinda want to sue some of you. Just a little bit of suing. Especially you over there... YEAH YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU MOST OF ALL!
  Angry  Thumbs Up
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

Al is a hoot.

I couldn't resist! It was society what made me done it. I just had to put the words "Jardine" and "explosive" in a sentence together.

Al Jardine: fanning the flames of global conflict since 1961.
Wow, this fake cinema poster just made my day! Thank you, Mr. Pertawst! As usual, I dig your creativity. Also, I 2nd Wirestone about the title of the thread - it's cool & comedic at the same time!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

"We were just shocked. After all the momentum we created, that he would want to continue on alone – we didn't understand it." Odd that, being shocked by something that had been printed some three months earlier in Rolling Stone.
I took Al to mean he was shocked to learn that Michael felt the way he did, when Love first made it known to the guys in the group, not that he was surprised when it was later announced publically.  That would just be silly.

But I said I wouldn't get involved.   Razz
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »

Yup, Alan was sooooooooooooooooo upset about what happened that it's taken him all of eight months to say anything concrete about it.

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

Yeah so it was said three months prior that they'd end it at a certain point (which Mike then duly did) - but for God's sake, that was before the tour/album became the huge success that it did, and for all that to then seemingly count for nothing is just weirdly unemotional. To just blindly go along with pre-arranged plans regardless of changes in circumstances is just plain cold.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:27:35 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

Seriously they need to do this!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

Another album ready???

Despite posts in other threads for discussion to "move on", the C50 break-up controversy is going to linger for years to come. And Mike set himself up perfectly to continue being the villain of the ongoing saga called the Beach Boys.

The article below just makes me laugh.

From Prefixmag.com (yes, they get the number of discs wrong-unless they know something we don't)).
Ironically, the authors' name is Winston Cook-Wilson.

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/new-7-disc-beach-boys-box-set-made-in-california-d/73961/

"Ludicrous news arises from the camp of Beach Boys singer Mike Love, who is both the legal owner of the band's name and the force perpetually hell-bent on shaming it. Love’s devised another scheme for making money off the Boys' brand, which will hopefully be more foolproof than last year’s aborted 50th anniversary tour, in the midst of which Love “fired” three original members of the group, including Brian Wilson. Love’s now touring a instantiation of the “Beach Boys” absent Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks, as he did for years before the ill-fated reunion attempt.

Those guys, meanwhile, are recording an album of new material with help from Jeff Beck, which is empirical evidence of the fact that they are interested in being real musicians.Though Mike has been loath to unify and advance the band creatively since around the time Pet Sounds was released, he is happy to exploit the artistry with which he had so little to do at every turn. Thus we have the impending six-disc box set Made in California, featuring demos, alternate takes, live performances and some rare unreleased material from the early sixties.

Apparently, the set includes a 1959 essay by Brian called “My Philosophy” and “handwritten, yearbook-style inscriptions” from Mike and the three guys he just dumped.Though the whole idea of the thing makes one a bit sick to the stomach, the box set is guaranteed to have a lot of  wonderful music on it. But only you can decide whether or not you feel comfortable giving Mr. Love your hard-earned cash. Made in California is due out August 27th on Capitol."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:31:26 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

Yeah so it was said three months prior that they'd end it at a certain point (which Mike then duly did) - but for God's sake, that was before the tour/album became the huge success that it did, and for all that to then seemingly count for nothing is just weirdly unemotional. To just blindly go along with pre-arranged plans regardless of changes in circumstances is just plain cold.

Not so - by then the tour had already been extended beyond the original 50 US dates.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »

There's a tour to promote. This subject was clearly going to come up. Mike has been asked about it, and given his opinion and take on the situation. Why shouldn't Al?

Things change -- especially over a quarter of a year. There was no reason Mike couldn't have rescheduled or canceled his dates with Bruce as a goodwill offering to keep the full band going. Believe me, concert dates change and disappear all the time, and for far flimsier reasons. For that matter, if the contracts were truly ironclad, why couldn't Mike do them, or take a hiatus from the C50 organization, and then return to the full group in the winter or spring? Given that he extended the dates already, Al and Brian and Dave may have assumed he was truly interested in making the band a going concern. But Sea World calls!

Because -- if I'm reading this right -- it was a Beach Boys album. The full lineup isn't together anymore. Brian is now making his own record.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:31:28 PM by Wirestone » Logged
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

FWIW, AJ does say "If Mike wants to come back, it'd be wonderful and we'd love to have him. But I don't think at this point it looks like its going to happen."

IMO, neither camp has burned any bridges and both sides always seem to leave the door open to future get togethers. Whether and when that might happen is another thing. While there's been expressions of disappointment, confusion, etc. at least things seem to be calm on the surface.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx