gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:41:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine's "A Postcard From California"  (Read 39908 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »

What is with all the pouting kids?  Make up your mind, you complain about Al taking too long and then he puts it out and you say I'm waiting for a cd...

I had the good fortune to hear much of this in the early mix stages thanks to Trisha Campo a good while back.  While I agree it would be nice to hear more original songs - there is some GREAT material here and I think it is very much worth the price of admission.

Looking Down the Coast on Al's new album is way better than the unreleased Beach Boys take on the song.  The new instrumental production is wonderful compared to the cluttered production that The Beach Boys came up with on the earlier attempt.  This new version has a majestic beauty with wonderful splashes of timpani and great percussive touches.  I always loved the melody of this song, Al's singing here is rock solid and this new version is not only the best version yet, it is sublime.

Brian's contributions to Al's album are very nice too.  I like the production on Brian's vocals AND his delivery very much.  Brian's performances here sound relaxed in a way I wish more of Brian's vocals on his own solo cds would sound.  No muddy quadruple tracking on the leads, no slurring or jarring straining for notes, just a simple clean and smooth delivery.  Brian really shines on his contribution to Drivin'.

Also very nice to hear so many Beach Boys reunited on this cd.  This makes it worth owning just for that fact.  David's guitar on Drivin' just smokes.  Hearing all those Beach Boys on Don't Fight the Sea is a joy (even if the recorded performances span a decade or two ;-)).  Funny for a guy who found himself dis-invited from the Beach Boys as well as Brian's solo tours - he still managed to get them all collected on one cd (even if they are no longer with us) and knowing what we do about The Beach Boys that is no small feat.  It is something to be treasured.

Do I wish there were more original tracks and less retreads?  Yes.
Do I wish Al explored more of the folk genre that he clearly enjoys? Yes
Do I wish there is an actual factory pressed cd with great liner notes and artwork? Yes
Do I wish there hadn't have been many promised release dates that were not met? Yes
Can the old Help Me Rhonda ever be bettered? No

But I do enjoy most of the guest’s performances on the new album.  And usually guest performances tend to indicate that the artist either doesn't have much to offer or seems like a desperate grab to get more listeners and increase the target market.  I don't feel that way about this album.

Many on this board having been taking pot shots at Al about the content, guest artists and numerous release dates of the cd.  People are making it sound like Al is trying to create his own Smile with this cd with the years of tinkering put in - like he was madly slaving away in a desperate fury to bring his masterpiece to life and what a difficult birth it was, blah blah blah...

When I spoke with Al a few times about recording this cd (April 4, 5 - 2008 and July 18 - 2009) he has a very different picture to paint about recording the cd.  He said he enjoyed taking it slow - only doing small bits here and there, no rush or hassle with a record company breathing down his neck.  He said he very much enjoyed working with his family and that during this process Matt's family was growing and he just had a good time reuniting some family and friends in pursuit of having a good time and making some music together.  If I were in my mid-sixties that sounds like a pace and a process that I would enjoy.  I think he has earned it.

Reasons to buy this rekkid:

Al is without a doubt the best current singer of the surviving Beach Boys and his vocals here bear that out.
The production on this cd is great, simple but with some great performances and not a cluttered mess.
Some great guest performances (I don't think many here are going to complain about the guests as they did with GIOMH).  Crosby, Stills, Young, Campbell, Miller, Flea, America - nice.
Many Beach Boys all on the same cd. (Brian, Carl, Mike, Bruce, David and maybe even Dennis).  What fan of The Beach Boys doesn’t want to hear that?
So nice to hear the voice of dearly departed Carl Wilson again.

Maybe I'm all Mike Love on this (Mr. Positivity), but I see more things to be happy with than complain about (but as Beach Boys fans we all love to say that we have a better plan).  I'd way rather have this then nothing at all.

Bring on Brian's new Gershwin cd!  Can't wait too long...
And how about a release for Mike's solo cd?  Wouldn't it be nice?
And then give me The Beach Boys reunion.  I like AGD's dream reunion plan as laid out on The Bloo board, but I would rather a reunion take place in the studio (maybe Al's barn) and have them record a few new tunes and run through some oldies.  I think they would have a decent chance of making it SOUND BETTER that way.  Get some video of it and do a little tv (maybe PBS) special and we would get the chance to SEE our favorite band together again.  I think Brian might be more relaxed this way.  I think Brian would like to hang out with The Beach Boys again (I'd certainly like to see it), but I worry about the added pressure of learning new parts and how facing an audience would be for Brian.
I'd like to see it be as pleasant as possible for all of them to Do it again.
Until the reunion, I'll be kicking back and listening to Al's new album, and Brian's (I'm hoping for great things) and the ESQ cd that is on the way.  Seems like it is gonna be a good summer for me (3 Mike and Bruce shows booked so far - and waiting on some Brian and Al dates to add to the mix).  If some of you stick in the muds would cheer up and count your blessings (and the wealth of good vibrations The Beach Boys are still providing us) you might enjoy it too.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »

What is with all the pouting kids?  Make up your mind, you complain about Al taking too long and then he puts it out and you say I'm waiting for a cd...

I don't have to make up my mind. I don't download music, period. So to me this album doesn't excist until it's a CD or an LP. That's not that hard to understand, is it?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

I don't have to make up my mind. I don't download music, period. So to me this album doesn't excist until it's a CD or an LP. That's not that hard to understand, is it?

Download and burn it to a CD. Voila! Instant physical copy!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »

Um -- if you "don't download music, period," you'll miss out on a lot of worthwhile listening, often at extremely cheap prices. The quality of downloads is now equal to (or better than) CD, and they take up a heckuva lot less space.

It's not always my first choice, but given the evaporation of physical record stores (especially in small to mid-size towns) I do it now and then. I would have never heard Owen Pallett otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:54:51 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »

No.  Close-mindedness isn't hard to understand.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »

Download and burn it to a CD. Voila! Instant physical copy!!!

Yeah, a physical copy that looks like crap and probably won't even play anymore within three or four years.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »

No.  Close-mindedness isn't hard to understand.  :-)

Good.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »

What is with all the pouting kids?  Make up your mind, you complain about Al taking too long and then he puts it out and you say I'm waiting for a cd...

I had the good fortune to hear much of this in the early mix stages thanks to Trisha Campo a good while back.  While I agree it would be nice to hear more original songs - there is some GREAT material here and I think it is very much worth the price of admission.

Yada yada ..................

Agree totally and am going to buy it.  I do own an iPod.

But it's just a boneheaded move not to press some CDs.

I'll  speculate it's all down to Al's ego.  No label wanted the record so, by going strictly iTunes, it's under the radar that there is no label/CD release.  If he released it himself on CD, all would see there was no major label.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »

What is with all the pouting kids?  Make up your mind, you complain about Al taking too long and then he puts it out and you say I'm waiting for a cd...

I had the good fortune to hear much of this in the early mix stages thanks to Trisha Campo a good while back.  While I agree it would be nice to hear more original songs - there is some GREAT material here and I think it is very much worth the price of admission.

Yada yada ..................

Agree totally and am going to buy it.  I do own an iPod.

But it's just a boneheaded move not to press some CDs.

I'll  speculate it's all down to Al's ego.  No label wanted the record so, by going strictly iTunes, it's under the radar that there is no label/CD release.  If he released it himself on CD, all would see there was no major label.

It's probably just cheaper going the digital route.  Al Jardine could have gone with www.cdbaby.com and had his album both on CD and digital format.  Oh well.  If a CD of this album materializes I'll pick it up, but I'm just happy he's releasing the damn thing after all thi stime.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »

He was offered a deal by a major label at roughly the same time as Brian was for TLOS, but decided against it. From what I've heard of it, one way and another, it's a good album. Snag is, after over three years of stalling and postponing, no-one outside of the BB fan world is really that interested. As someone pointed out, "more guests than tracks".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »

Does anyone know if the cd-r version will come with artwork?  I'd be willing to pay the extra $2 for that, but if there's no artwork, then I'm just getting the digital version.

::EDIT::

From the Amazon listing:

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:24:06 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 01:26:03 AM »

I would think that it would be all over the front of aljardine.com, but I don't see anything unless you go to the messages section.

FYI you can listen to snippets of all the tracks at Amazon.com

Thanks!  Just listened.  Campfire Scene sounds different from the EP upon first listen.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 02:24:28 AM »

He was offered a deal by a major label at roughly the same time as Brian was for TLOS, but decided against it. From what I've heard of it, one way and another, it's a good album. Snag is, after over three years of stalling and postponing, no-one outside of the BB fan world is really that interested. As someone pointed out, "more guests than tracks".

Dammit, Al. Was it a single album deal like Brian's too? Can see that being a stumbling block....

It's nice this is getting released, and although the prospect of an Al Jardine album with Help Me Rhonda on it doesn't quite set my world on fire like Brian's Gershwin project, hopefully it'll be pleasant listening.

And on the whole download/cd debate, i don't mind a download, but the vast majority of the Al-demographic are the sort who buy things on CD and vinyl.  To not even go the independent pressing route (which costs $300 or something stupidly cheap for someone who gets royalties from one of America's biggest bands EVER) is perhaps a bit short-sighted....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 04:49:32 AM »

I'm not opposed to the concept of downloadable mp3s. But...

- I might be wrong, but iTunes doesn't offer lossless tracks
- No artwork, no liner notes, no jewel case
- Assuming each track costs $1, the full album will cost $12. The "Gershwin" album's retail price is $2 more.

I'm most certainly NOT willing to pay $12 for lossy files, without a jewel case, liner notes, and artwork. $6 would seem like a decent price.

I still don't know whether I'll buy a CD-R copy from Amazon ($21, shipping included, for a CD-R? Seriously?) or if I'll wait for someone to put it on the internet for free.  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:52:00 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 06:12:19 AM »

I don't think you get mp3s when you download something at itunes, I think you get something like .m4a.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 06:28:32 AM »

I don't think you get mp3s when you download something at itunes, I think you get something like .m4a.

You're right - actually, they're AAC files, "m4a" is the "container". But my point stands - they're lossy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:29:46 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 07:03:28 AM »

12 tracks... and two of them are link (short) tracks... 10 tracks with 3 of them being covers...
7 tracks... and 3 of those are BB out-takes from the 70's..
so there are 4 tracks that are new that Al gives us since 1980...
3 "New" songs in 30 years....  Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »

The idea that an album has to contain original, new songs written by the performer is not valid. Plenty of the greats throughout history didn't write songs, or write many songs. The idea sometimes is the performance. As much as I like Al's compositional contributions over the years, I don't think anyone is going to confuse him with Brian Wilson or Paul McCartney. If you like Al Jardine, odds are you like his voice, his folky-folksy sound with occasional quirky production, or are intrigued by elves. If that's the case, you buy the album and like it. If you expected a grand modern classic with a dozen new songs that could be Billboard hits, you've probably coming at this the wrong way.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »

12 tracks... and two of them are link (short) tracks... 10 tracks with 3 of them being covers...
That's still more new Al than the first 30 years of the BB!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »

I don't want to make this sound as negative as I seem to be putting it...

I love Al's stuff (covers), and I know that he's really not much of a songwriter...
What I would consider a dream project for Al is sort of like what Brian's doing now...

How about  "Al reimagines Buddy Holly"  Al's voice suits Buddy's material...
or Al maybe covering John Phillips material.. (he must of had a pile of songs kicking around when he died wouldn't have he?)

It just seems that for this amount of time 10 songs ( ok, sort of 12) including some rather common covers seems so rather unsatisfying
after all these years.. Huh

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »

Apple stuff Isn't lossless, but they bumped up the bit rate a year or so ago to 256kbs, and nothing is copy protected anymore, which means you can covert songs to whatever you'd like. Digital booklets are often available, too. They used to sell albums as a flat 9.99, regardless of the number of tracks, but I think that has changed for new releases.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »

I thought it was possible to opt for Apple Lossless stuff from iTunes? I personally wouldn't know because I don't use it but this is what I understand... even if Apple Lossless is terrible compared to FLAC, APE or even Shorten!

Al should've released this album on Smithsonian Folkways; it could be marketed as an archival, historic document -- and they do on-demand CD pressings too as they're not concerned with pushing product! LOL
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »

You're right - actually, they're AAC files, "m4a" is the "container". But my point stands - they're lossy.

From my understanding, AAC files compress better than MP3 format.  And since iTunes standard bit-rate is 256 kbps, chances are you're not going to notice the compression.  I never have.  Would be nice if you could download in a lossless format though.  Considering the amount of space iPods can hold, this option shouldn't be that far down the road...

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »

I think having special guests on the album may be the "selling point" for Al.  No one is expecting anything major with the music itself.  Although "Don't Fight The Sea" has gotten good marks and I'm liking the song "Drivin'".  I'm looking forward to hearing this album. 

Jason
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »

For what it's worth, And I Always Will, assuming you include it with the 4 "new" tracks, was originally tracked in 1984-85 during the '85 album sessions.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx