gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:45:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399324 times)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 27, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »

I like your ideas. I've always been a fan of alternate albums and fan edits. If you need any help on ideas, let me know, I love the different concepts. the Be True to Your School one is really good!
I see where Party/Christmas album/Today! don't have tracks, are you leaving them alone? I think there's enough tracks (released and unreleased) for Party to have it be a double LP. Obviously Today would need Guess I'm Dumb. It'd also be cool to see a couple added from his Pet Projects like say: I Do, After the Game, or She Rides with Me.
And maybe later in the 70s incorporate some American Spring songs like Sweet Mountain or Jan and Brian's Don't Ya Just Know It.
I posted a proposed 1975 album a while ago that used the unreleased recordings from 73-74 and alternate Concert tracks that were to be on the single In Concert album, you should check it out.

Thanks Punkinhead.  The ones that aren't complete are only because I haven't gotten a chance to do them yet.    I haven't been able to locate your proposed 1975 album yet, can you link me?
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 27, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »

Here's the early version of Good Timin' that Metal Flake Paint was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOg_kDRmRo

Never knew that Carl was singing "I love YOU" on the recording.  Very cool!  Although I do like the recording better with the "you" obscured by backing vocals.  "I love good timin'" sounds a little less cheese and more on the side of that mystical, nature-loving Wilson attitude.  As in, he loves good timing as much as some country air and cool clear water.  But maybe I'm reading too much into things.  Grin

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 27, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »

I like your ideas. I've always been a fan of alternate albums and fan edits. If you need any help on ideas, let me know, I love the different concepts. the Be True to Your School one is really good!
I see where Party/Christmas album/Today! don't have tracks, are you leaving them alone? I think there's enough tracks (released and unreleased) for Party to have it be a double LP. Obviously Today would need Guess I'm Dumb. It'd also be cool to see a couple added from his Pet Projects like say: I Do, After the Game, or She Rides with Me.
And maybe later in the 70s incorporate some American Spring songs like Sweet Mountain or Jan and Brian's Don't Ya Just Know It.
I posted a proposed 1975 album a while ago that used the unreleased recordings from 73-74 and alternate Concert tracks that were to be on the single In Concert album, you should check it out.

Thanks Punkinhead.  The ones that aren't complete are only because I haven't gotten a chance to do them yet.    I haven't been able to locate your proposed 1975 album yet, can you link me?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8674.0.html

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »

[/quote]

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8674.0.html
[/quote]

Thumbs Up  thanks
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 28, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

In some interview recently, Brian said he cribbed the bossa-nova style of S'Wonderful from some other dudes version of the same song....

This would be fascinating if I could remember who  Huh

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 28, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »

my mom said that's the popular way to do the song now.  She also gave me the name of someone who did it first, now lots do it like that. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »

In some interview recently, Brian said he cribbed the bossa-nova style of S'Wonderful from some other dudes version of the same song....

that's awesome, because i kinda took S' Wonderful as a 'busy doin nothin'-like-influence song...and Busy Doin nothing has always been known as bossa nova

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »

that's awesome, because i kinda took S' Wonderful as a 'busy doin nothin'-like-influence song...and Busy Doin nothing has always been known as bossa nova

Now listen: I am the Bossa Nova here. Is there another Bossa Nova?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:01 AM »

Thanks for the help, gsmile and metal flake paint.

You're most welcome. Now that I think of it Carl also sang the "I love you" line live in concert as evidenced by this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIr5BsQXJFI&feature=related

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2010, 03:07:23 AM »

Here's the early version of Good Timin' that Metal Flake Paint was referring to:

Never knew that Carl was singing "I love YOU" on the recording.  Very cool!  Although I do like the recording better with the "you" obscured by backing vocals.  "I love good timin'" sounds a little less cheese and more on the side of that mystical, nature-loving Wilson attitude.  As in, he loves good timing as much as some country air and cool clear water.  But maybe I'm reading too much into things.  Grin

Here's James Guercio talking a little about recording "Good Timin'" at Caribou Ranch Studio (plus the Beachago tapes). Starts @ 4m:15sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVNwlFRbMM&feature=related

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2010, 03:28:51 AM »

Here's James Guercio talking a little about recording "Good Timin'" at Caribou Ranch Studio (plus the Beachago tapes). Starts @ 4m:15sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVNwlFRbMM&feature=related

Can I state here that I find the Caribou record label image as beautiful as the Brother Indian one? Yes, I think I can.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »

Harpsichord on BWRG:

Real or Fake?Huh Shocked

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »

Harpsichord on BWRG:

Real or Fake?Huh Shocked

If you ask it this way, it's irrelevant. If I buy a Turkish-made Breitling imitation, and that thing costs me $ 15,00 - and if it runs exactly on time for the rest of my life, and it's made of exactly the same materials as the original, and if no one can discern the difference... the question real or fake has become entirely redundant.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 29, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »

I was tryin a be funny cos of the BWPS facade Donny Afro

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 29, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »

I was tryin a be funny cos of the BWPS facade Donny Afro

Darn, I'm a bit confused. son. Thing is: they're chattin' away here about a 'Bossa Nova' type o'thing. See: I AM the REAL BOSSA NOVA. I don't like another bossa nova around here. Makes me nervous. Does that register with you?

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »

You're most welcome. Now that I think of it Carl also sang the "I love you" line live in concert as evidenced by this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIr5BsQXJFI&feature=related

Love Brian's counter vocal on the last chorus!  Other than the ragged voice, the tone sound quite similar to some of his Sunflower-era adlibs.  Very cool.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:28 AM »

At the beginning of this Bullion remix of I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, there's a sample that sounds like a contemporary cover of the song by The Free design or that type of band. Does anyone know who's cover this is and where to find it? I presume it's a modern cover made to sound like a retro sunshine pop band. Anyway I'm tearing my hear out trying to find whose version this is. Any help much appreciated, as ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lao7fJWbHVE

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 01, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »

In the liner notes to the reissued POB, it says something about the original POB album being just remastered. I can't remember exactly how it was put, but there is a sentence along the lines of "the original mix has been left as is, except for a brief "surprise"". What is the "surprise"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 02, 2010, 02:59:22 AM »

In the liner notes to the reissued POB, it says something about the original POB album being just remastered. I can't remember exactly how it was put, but there is a sentence along the lines of "the original mix has been left as is, except for a brief "surprise"". What is the "surprise"?

Shocked

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 04, 2010, 10:36:21 PM »

I tried asking this before, but I don't think I ever got an answer, so I'll try it again. What exactly was Dennis's tattoo of? WHen did he get it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »

I tried asking this before, but I don't think I ever got an answer, so I'll try it again. What exactly was Dennis's tattoo of? WHen did he get it?
It was a heart that said "Chris" for Christine McVie...then they broke up and he added a "t" to the end.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »

Sneaky...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

Concerning BB promo videos...like Don't Go Near the Water or Getcha Back or Good Timin', is there a source with accurate information?

Or shall we start a good thread on this type of thing? with say a link to a video/pics?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:54 AM »

Does anybody know?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 05, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »

i don't.     Cheesy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx