gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681512 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 01:24:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1425375 times)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: September 21, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

Which song contains Al Jardine's most Brian-ish sounding lead vocal?

The piano demo of that "Daddy Dear" song"  Razz
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: September 21, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »

Not really a question but more of a frustration.  I just found out that Mike recorded a version of "Daybreak" back in the 80s with a Carl backing vocal.  Why wouldn't they use that Carl vocal for the album version?  If they were going to record a song that was already recorded with a Carl vocal, they should have used that Carl vocal.  Especially for such a bland song, that would have added a little something to it.

It could have been another one of those releases like Brian did for GIOMH with a posthumous vocal of Soul Searching. I wouldn't have a problem with Carl being on there.

Just like on Al's album having Carl and the guys on Don't Fight the Sea, very appropriate. How sad and angry would you be had he just re-recorded by himself and added Alec Baldwin to the vocal mix.  Wink

I like that TWGMTR didn't have any rerecordings or Carl ghostvocals. It presents the Beach Boys as a current band with all new songs, which is what every Beach Boys album should be.

This.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: September 21, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »

A Carl vocal on a song or two would've been a cool addition. "Waves Of Love" and "Don't Fight The Sea" don't bother me at all in terms of "dead guy appears on live guy's record"ness.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: September 22, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »

I feel like one of the versions of Back Home from the Sunflower era sounds like Al and Brian mixed together

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: September 22, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

Falsetto on Be Here in the Morning.

That's Al? Freaky.

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: September 22, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »

Never heard the "Be Here In The Morning" lead as Brian or anyone but Al. Weird.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2881 on: September 23, 2012, 01:10:41 AM »

there are three types of Al

-Rocker Al: Honkin', Rhonda

-Al who Sounds-like-Brian : Be here in the morning

... then everything else.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2882 on: September 23, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »

Was there a commercial cassette of Sounds of Summer? what was the last Beach Boys release on cassette?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 24, 2012, 01:32:15 AM »

I have to ask again because I want to believe

Is there a pet sound on each and every track of Pet Sounds? Can you make the argument?

There is the "zoo intro" on Wouldn't, the galloping horse beat on God, the barking dogs on some track, the doghorn on You still... go ahead please  Embarrassed Cry Embarrassed Cry Sad

All of the sounds on Pet Sounds are "pet sounds"...
That really sounds nonsensical, but I think that's what Brian had in mind with the title. "Pet" doesn't mean just "animal" here, it's an adjective. Think "pet peeve" or "pet project". Really, the album title is only supposed to mean: "these are my favorite musical timbres/combinations/tones/sounds". 

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2884 on: September 24, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »

almost. Mike came up with the title, referring to both Brian's "favorite musical timbres/etc" and the barking at the end of the album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 24, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »

Here's a lighthearted question I had when looking at some pics of the current tour...does anyone think Scott Totten bears a striking resemblance to Dwight K. Shrute from the American version of "The Office?"

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

almost. Mike came up with the title, referring to both Brian's "favorite musical timbres/etc" and the barking at the end of the album.

Brian has also said that he wanted the title because "P.S"="Phil Spector" so who really knows

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »

Brian has also said that he wanted the title because "P.S"="Phil Spector" so who really knows

I think three or four different descriptions have been given. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 24, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

Here's a lighthearted question I had when looking at some pics of the current tour...does anyone think Scott Totten bears a striking resemblance to Dwight K. Shrute from the American version of "The Office?"
Yeah, never thought of that before, but you're right on the money!

Have a cigar!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2889 on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »

If this was a real album, would you buy it?

Agape Love

1. Lenten Fasting (Can Emancipate The Man)
2. Noble Nazarene
3. Daybreak Over Galilee
4. Sin, Sin, Sin ('Til The Devil Shoves Hot Coals Up Your Ass)
5. Hodad Iscariot
6. He Died 4 Your Sins (but u can't die 4 anyone's)
7. 0ver and 0ver THE C0CK CR0WS (Then You'll Deny Me)
8. Crucifyin'
9.Jesus's Goin' to Kokomo
10. You Need A Whole Mess Of Beach To Walk On Water Alone

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:02:52 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2890 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »

Only if Mike Love flew VDP in to write linking narratives and to play Pontius Pilate... and then stiffed him on the deal AND flight back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:01:06 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2891 on: September 24, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »

Only if Mike Love flew VDP in to write linking narratives and to play Pontius Pilate... and then stiffed him on the deal AND flight back.
Mike remarks to himself after Van Dyke leaves

"It is finished..."   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:07:33 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:06 PM »

Mike remarks to himself after Van Dyke leaves

"It is finished..."   

"I COLUMNATE YOUR DOMINO!!!"

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: September 24, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »

I think three or four different descriptions have been given. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Probably because they're all right. If Brian just wanted any album title with the initials 'ps' there are plenty of others to pick from. I don't really think that the "Brian Wilson's favorite sounds" interpretation of the album title is some sort of outlandish theory, considering that it relies on nothing but the actual meaning of the words. Remember, Brian was into talking like a hipster, and he was smoking tons of hash at the time, Mike could have made the 'only dogs will hear this stuff' comment only to have a stoned Brian invent the title in response.

I think it's pretty natural to want to name an album something that does justice to the multiple layers of the musician's vision. Brian probably liked the title because of, and not despite the different ways it could be interpreted. It was a gratifying in-joke that poked fun at Mike, it contained a coincidental reference to Phil Spector, and it expressed the personal nature of the music, that is, how it really represented the sweat of Brian's brow and showed off all the stuff that he was into at the time.

That's the way I see it anyway, we get carried away too easily looking for the single definite interpretation of or story behind Beach Boys mythology. All of the decisions we argue about were probably convenient accidents or were made at the subconscious level.

Mike: "Brian, only dogs will be able to hear this sh*t."
Brian: "Haha! That's what we should call the album man, Pet Sounds, because they're our *pet* sounds, get it?"
Mike: "Not really..."

That seems like a pretty plausible account of things honestly.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2894 on: September 24, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »

Mike has said in interviews multiple times that he came up with the title because of the double meaning of the barking dogs and the *pet* sounds.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: September 25, 2012, 03:35:09 AM »

Myke will gladly manipulate history to conform with his opinions and I quote Myke from a concert this summer: "That song, Disney Girls, came out on our Surf's Up album which was released in 1872" BLATANT LIES AND HERESIES
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: September 25, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

So that surprise ending/credits video on Doin' it Again was fantastic.

http://youtu.be/ahgKAi9pDpY

When and where was this recorded? And where's Denny??!?!?
Is there more footage from this video?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: September 26, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »

I am looking for the thread that documented which BB was singing on the various songs on TWGMTR.

The thread was active in July and Aug.  I tried a few searches (TWGMTR vocals), no luck yet.

Any help would be appreciated!  thank you!

-- David

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »

Apologies...!

Found it here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.1250.html

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: September 27, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »

in "Brian Is Back" when Mike says "you fell in love with a pretty cheerleader", who is he referring to? Did Brian have any flings before Marilyn?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx