gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:47:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again  (Read 192610 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 31, 2013, 05:13:09 AM »

This is not getting better  Sad

It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)

On topic, I think I'd be dead on the floor in pain if I wasn't trying to focus on my exams.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 31, 2013, 05:16:03 AM »

I'm still wondering if he has the full seven minute version.

No, just the edit on the 'acetate' of TWOTS - the additional three-odd minutes are just flute and guitar noodling. For completeists only. Check out Adam's version to hear the song as we will (hopefully) hear it on the box. Buy his CD anyway, it's damn good, as is his latest offering.

I hope to hear the full 7 minute version! i love flute and guitar noodling (big fan of Miles Davis' fusion period).
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 31, 2013, 07:20:01 AM »

All this hoarding reminds me of my tape trading 1990s.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »

No, just the edit on the 'acetate' of TWOTS - the additional three-odd minutes are just flute and guitar noodling. For completeists only.

I don't really see how that would be for "completeists"only if it's originally part of the song.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 31, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »

No, just the edit on the 'acetate' of TWOTS - the additional three-odd minutes are just flute and guitar noodling. For completeists only.

I don't really see how that would be for "completeists"only if it's originally part of the song.

As the track was never properly mixed in the first place (am I right?), I'd imagine this is just 'for the sheer hell of it' post proper take jamming that would never have been used if the track ended up on Surfs Up

I'd still like to hear it, but I'm a completist.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 31, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »

As the track was never properly mixed in the first place (am I right?), I'd imagine this is just 'for the sheer hell of it' post proper take jamming that would never have been used if the track ended up on Surfs Up

Who the Hell here isn't a completist?!?!?!

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 31, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »

Shoot, there are many here who haven't heard all the albums, let alone own a copy. Then you have the Fair-Weather fans, and on and on and on, she goes dum-dee-do!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 31, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »

You surely haven't seen the threads where people natter on about not buying any album put out after Pet Sounds / Smile / Holland / Dennis's death.

They wear their ignorance as a badge of pride and cry poverty when called on it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »

The simple and straightforward answer to that is - it wasn't.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #859 on: May 31, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »

You surely haven't seen the threads where people natter on about not buying any album put out after Pet Sounds / Smile / Holland / Dennis's death.

They wear their ignorance as a badge of pride and cry poverty when called on it.

(Rather woundedly but not defensively)

I had all the albums, but got rid of them with when the CD's came out. (Financial reasons!!). I only replaced up to Love You because that's all I listen up to. I don't like the post '77 albums, and I really did try!

I personally would rather not spend money on something I won't play. So no, I'm not a completest, just a HUGE lifelong fan of the Beach Boys circa 1961 - 1977.

And I have to tell you I actually suffered guilt over not liking the new album, but I just can't force myself to like it. Maybe if they do a "Let It Be - Naked", and de-Thomas it I'll try again LOL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:53:27 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »

You don't even like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDiwoACJ2Q

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #861 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »

Well yes, this is the nicest song on the album, and you're right, I do like this one. Didn't realise it until I played it.

I do find the autotune bothering, but I'm the sort of person who finds the tiniest amount of noise from a neighbour (which no one else can hear) bothersome.

OK, well I'm going to give the album another listen today, but don't expect miracles LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

Well yes, this is the nicest song on the album, and you're right, I do like this one. Didn't realise it until I played it.

I do find the autotune bothering, but I'm the sort of person who finds the tiniest amount of noise from a neighbour (which no one else can hear) bothersome.

OK, well I'm going to give the album another listen today, but don't expect miracles LOL
To be honest, the first time I listened to That's Why God Made The Radio, the album, I hated it. The autotune and overly slick production made it one of the only Beach Boys albums where I couldn't always tell who sang what. I think it helps if you think of the autotune as a sound effect, rather than the real reason it was used(to "fix" wrong notes, etc).

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »

It's turning into a nice morning here (I've been up since 4.30!!) I shall give this album another try as I have breakfast, looking out over the garden.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 31, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »

The simple and straightforward answer to that is - it wasn't.  Grin

Wait. So the "noodling" at the end is not actually part of the song? Well if that's the case then I don't really care to hear it. I want it as close to what Dennis intended it as possible. Which is why I was bummed when I found out "Album Tag Song" from the POB reissue was actually not structured by Dennis, but by some other person (Guercio?) while putting together the new collection.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

I'm absolutely unashamed to say I find this totally unlistenable.  A monkey making pretty patterns with their hands on the desk could have done a better production job.

It's perfectly acceptable to be obsessed with a band up to a point and then find almost everything they did to be hilariously bad. '61-79 will do me just fine. Heard the rest. It's sh*t.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: June 01, 2013, 01:24:59 AM »

To be honest, the first time I listened to That's Why God Made The Radio, the album, I hated it. The autotune and overly slick production made it one of the only Beach Boys albums where I couldn't always tell who sang what. I think it helps if you think of the autotune as a sound effect, rather than the real reason it was used(to "fix" wrong notes, etc).

When I first heard the album, I listened past the (obvious) autotune and the production, and into the actual music... and that's why I fell over backwards, died and went straight to heaven when I heard the intro and the last three tracks. Given the context and the preceding 16-odd years of accelerated nonsense, they had no right whatsoever to be even one-tenth that good.

beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 01, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »

I wish that I could spread the wealth but I promised that I would not share. 

Thank you! I don't regret to have sent you this sample for free. I realize that 30 seconds is really short but I sent 1:30 to people who accepted to sell me a CD from their collection. Hope you understand.

I expect to make more deals in August since WIBNTLA won't be on MIC.

Regarding the length of the track, my version is about 4:30 minutes long with about 3:30 minutes which are the song in itself and the last minute which is a jam. Where the information about a 7 minutes version come from?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 01, 2013, 02:27:41 AM »

When I first heard the album, I listened past the (obvious) autotune and the production, and into the actual music... and that's why I fell over backwards, died and went straight to heaven when I heard the intro and the last three tracks. Given the context and the preceding 16-odd years of accelerated nonsense, they had no right whatsoever to be even one-tenth that good.
I should clarify that I felt the same with the last three songs.  Grin I didn't really like the album that much except for those three songs, at first. I eventually became a pretty big fan of The Private Life Of Bill and Sue. Those final three songs are probably the best material the group has recorded since Holland. From There To Back Again is truly an enigma. Some things just totally defy the laws of, well, any kind of logic whatsoever.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 01, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »

Why do you say that WIBNTLA wouldn't be on the set? You said that like you're 100% positive.

beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 01, 2013, 02:52:09 AM »

Why do you say that WIBNTLA wouldn't be on the set? You said that like you're 100% positive.

Why it should be? What have changed since the release of TWOTS? More strategically, as a fan, I hope it will be on MIC because the sound will be hopefully better than on "my" version. Now, as a collector and a trader, I think I will significantly improve my collection if it is not on MIC... Some people refused to deal with me because they expect that it will be on MIC. We will have an answer when the tracklist of MIC will be known, in August I guess. Anyway, I won't be angry if WIBNTLA is actually on MIC. I'm a fan before being a collector...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: June 01, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »

Why it should be? What have changed since the release of TWOTS? More strategically, as a fan, I hope it will be on MIC because the sound will be hopefully better than on "my" version. Now, as a collector and a trader, I think I will significantly improve my collection if it is not on MIC... Some people refused to deal with me because they expect that it will be on MIC. We will have an answer when the tracklist of MIC will be known, in August I guess. Anyway, I won't be angry if WIBNTLA is actually on MIC. I'm a fan before being a collector...

A degree of reconciliation... new Beach Boys album... 70+ date world tour... live album. Nope, nothing's changed and no reason why it should be on a 6CD career-spanning definitive (and likely last ever) box set. None at all.

Except your (understandable) desire to have something that almost no-one else has, as stated. Seriously, there is no logical reason to assume it won't be on MiC.

You any kin to Eeyore ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:14 AM »

I wish that I could spread the wealth but I promised that I would not share.  

Thank you! I don't regret to have sent you this sample for free. I realize that 30 seconds is really short but I sent 1:30 to people who accepted to sell me a CD from their collection. Hope you understand.

I expect to make more deals in August since WIBNTLA won't be on MIC.

Regarding the length of the track, my version is about 4:30 minutes long with about 3:30 minutes which are the song in itself and the last minute which is a jam. Where the information about a 7 minutes version come from?

Some dude called... Byrd, I think it was. Ervin Byrd. Yeah, that's him. But what does he know ?

As for this - "I expect to make more deals in August since WIBNTLA won't be on MIC." - aside from being considerably at odds with your claim to be a fan before a collector (and apparently a businessman before a fan), making such an unequivocal statement in these here parts is a brave/dumb thing to do, considering there are folk here who actually do know what's going to be on the box. I work in a bookies, and I'd estimate the odds at your being correct in this provocative statement as somewhere between 1000/1 and entirely spurious.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:10:59 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #873 on: June 01, 2013, 03:29:34 AM »

Some people refused to deal with me because they expect that it will be on MIC.

Even if it's not, I still won't trade with you for a incomplete MP3 song. That's like swopping Mayfair for Old Kent Road.
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:01 AM »

Some people refused to deal with me because they expect that it will be on MIC.

Even if it's not, I still won't trade with you for a incomplete MP3 song. That's like swopping Mayfair for Old Kent Road.

This is because you don't really want the song... And the track is in WAV...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx