gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 01:49:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again  (Read 193480 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #825 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »

Carl shines vocally on this album, but I just can't get behind the '71 version of the title track because of Carl's lead. Probably because I heard the various SMiLE versions with Brian on lead. I think Brian's voice has this spiritual quality that so perfectly suits Van Dyke's lyrics. Carl's voice is spiritual too, but not in the same way. I wonder what it would be like if Bruce tried the lead!  Smiley

I'd like a split lead with Brian on the first movement, Carl on the second and Mike on the lines "Surf's Up aboard a tidal wave, come about hard and join the young and often spring you gave".

No doubt Mikey would likey. He is just nuts over those columnated-ruins-domino type of lyrics !!

end sarcasm

That's irrelevant. Everybody knows the "crow cries" story, and Mike did that line well, too. I got the idea when I heard Crosby sing those lines.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 25, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »

I'm setting the bar high because even the cover version had something truly magical about it. DW had that capacity to come up with melodies that really stick with you in a strange way and almost make you obsess over single lines of lyrics and I really like that.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:12 AM »

On reflection, perhaps there's room for WIBNTLA and SDT on Surf's Up, if we just got rid of Feel Flows which is kinda long.

On reflection, perhaps there's room for WIBNTLA and SDT on Surf's Up, if we just got rid of Feel Flows which is kinda long.
I say we nix 'Til I Die.

What a downer!

You both should be incarcerated
I was just pulling my best Mike Love impression there, or at least how everyone portrays him.

(Didn't he call 'Tie I Die "a downer!" at some point? I know he said that about something.)

Maybe he did. I was definitely drunk when i posted the "incarcerated" comment, so any sarcasm didn't resonate.

People need to stop leaving this board just because it's seems to be vitriolic lately. Talk about taking the Internet too seriously.

I think we should just get rid of the internet, it's crap isn't it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »

Even among people who think the song is only so-so, they all agree that is perhaps Dennis' finest vocal performance.

Understand it's a cover, but my own favorite is Dennis singing "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", the studio takes rather than the live. I can't explain it, but it's such an intimate vocal and stripped down to the point where every word cuts through.

Just wanted to add that.

Oh, and for pure rock and roll abandon, that live recording of Dennis singing lead on "Help Me Rhonda" is fantastic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »

Even among people who think the song is only so-so, they all agree that is perhaps Dennis' finest vocal performance.

Understand it's a cover, but my own favorite is Dennis singing "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", the studio takes rather than the live. I can't explain it, but it's such an intimate vocal and stripped down to the point where every word cuts through.

Just wanted to add that.

Oh, and for pure rock and roll abandon, that live recording of Dennis singing lead on "Help Me Rhonda" is fantastic.

edit:nvm i got it
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:51:36 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 26, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »

I had a dream where I heard WIBNTLA a couple of hours ago and confirm it is in fact a classic.
I had a dream like that too, except where the noodling flutes should be, it devolved into Mothers Of Invention style noise making. Then The Beatles ate one of my friends.
I have really messed up dreams.

Speaking of dreams, I suppose this is as good a place as any to share one from last night, considering the tone this thread has sometimes taken.

I was at a waiting area in an airport.  I saw Brian Wilson, looking like his current pictures but tired and a bit pale, sitting in a seat, just looking straight ahead.  Mike Love was sitting 5 or 6 seats away from him, even though there were some empty seats between them.  I assumed they were on tour.

I walked up to Brian and said “You have a gift and have given us all this wonderful music, but that has also led to a lot of negativity and conflict with you all” (I waved my arm toward Mike, referring to years of internal strife within the group), “and with us too” (meaning the type of flared tempers and mean comments that can happen within the fanbase).  “I hope it (gift for making music) has been more of a good thing than bad for you.”  I meant this very sincerely – I hoped all the negativity had not outweighed the positive benefit of making music for him.

Brian looked at me and with a not-quite-visible shrug said, “You just do what you do.”  To me this was a very Zen-like way of saying “Be true to your nature, use your gifts for good, do what you were born to do.  If others twist it into negativity and meanness, there’s nothing you can do about that.”

I thanked Brian and then, despite whatever negative judgments I have about Mike Love’s creative vision and personality, decided I would tell Mike a quick thank you for the positive things that he has brought to fans though the years.  However, someone with a baggage cart was between us and I couldn’t get to him right away. 

Then I happened to look over to the exit of the waiting area and saw a close friend and creative collaborator of mine walking on crutches and missing a leg, presumably due to the Boston Marathon bombing.  I ran over to him.  He was typically wryly stoic about moving on with life, and with some creative project, but I was shocked and emotional about this terrible thing that would affect him forever.

My take on that: don’t get all wrapped up in my judgments, opinions, negativity, etc etc, about this person I’ve never even met (Mike Love).  Make a difference – use my gifts and my energy -- with those in my life who matter.  It's a useful message for me.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #831 on: April 28, 2013, 05:16:05 AM »

don’t get all wrapped up in my judgments, opinions, negativity, etc etc, about this person I’ve never even met (Mike Love).  Make a difference – use my gifts and my energy -- with those in my life who matter.  It's a useful message for me.

Well said.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #832 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »

Why doesn't AGD have 5 stars under his name? I always wondered that.

No room for six.  Grin

Also, note I am in my own special category, membership of one.  Cool
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:06:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: May 09, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »

My bad, folks. I am sorry for the disruption. I didn't mean to imply AGD is any kind of "tard." I don't really care for that term.

Honestly, if anyone cares to read some idiot's explanation, I was thinking along the lines of "Brianista," or "Kokomaoist," etc. In his post, Runners made fun of those who jump all over anyone who comes to Mike Love's defense ("Go listen to SDT!") and, since Mr. Doe has been unfairly derided as a Mike/Bruce "apologist," I thought (clearly not very hard) that maybe a fitting label would be... Well, I won't repeat it.

Does context make me look like any less of an a$$hole? Probably not. But there it is.

Anyway, I've derailed the thread, pissed off somebody important/knowledgable/indispensable, contributed nothing to the discussion, and apologized to the SmileySmile community for being an idiot (AGAIN- this actually isn't the first time I've done this). If I'm banned, I can still at least read the board, right? If so, do it! For my own good, and yours.

Sorry, AGD. Sorry everybody.

Evan
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet

A fulsome apology where none was really required - I was the one being precious for no better reason than a crappy day at work and incoming in my private life. Thank you for that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:04:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »

Just curious... did anyone make the trade with beachboys_fr?

Did you get the 60 second clip of WIBNTLA?

Was it a fraud or was it real?
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 30, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »

Yes, I got a small sample since I was the one that alerted him to the track. It is for real and from the 30 seconds that I heard, I am very eager for MIC to come out (assuming this track is on there).
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

Yes, I got a small sample since I was the one that alerted him to the track. It is for real and from the 30 seconds that I heard, I am very eager for MIC to come out (assuming this track is on there).

Hi Gene,

Just curious -- any observations about the track, or anything else that you can glean from listening to that sample? Sound quality...musical observations...etc. I'm living vicariously through any/all of these choice verbal morsels...lol. Smiley

thanks!
Dave      
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 30, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

Dave,

I have just heard the first 30 seconds so only Dennis is present with Piano and flute (?). Dennis' voice sounded better than on "Barbara" in my opinion. I wish that I could explain myself better but on first listen I thought that his voice reminded me of his performance on "Forever".   Perhaps that it was the fact that I am used to the great Adam Marsland and Alan Boyd versions and it was just "odd" hearing Dennis sing it.

I only heard literally 30 seconds so I am no expert but based on what I heard (plus knowing the cover versions), it is a very strong track.  Hopefully it is released this year.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 30, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

This might be the biggest teasing thread of all time after all.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

Dave,

I have just heard the first 30 seconds so only Dennis is present with Piano and flute (?). Dennis' voice sounded better than on "Barbara" in my opinion. I wish that I could explain myself better but on first listen I thought that his voice reminded me of his performance on "Forever".   Perhaps that it was the fact that I am used to the great Adam Marsland and Alan Boyd versions and it was just "odd" hearing Dennis sing it.

I only heard literally 30 seconds so I am no expert but based on what I heard (plus knowing the cover versions), it is a very strong track.  Hopefully it is released this year.

Heck don't simply describe it, post a link!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: May 30, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for the comments, Gene!
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

I know, it is kind of uncool to post teasers like this. I wish that I could spread the wealth but I promised that I would not share. If I had not made that promise, I would have let others hear.  It will be out soon I am sure.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 30, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »

man, that's gotta be frustrating...enough to hear that it's kosher, but if the timings are similar to the Evie Sands version it's just before the drums/group vocals kick in, so not enough to gather anything of the production/overall vibe

So...tantalising. Can't wait for the box (i believe)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 30, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

The sample is definitely legit, and mouth-watering.  It would be a complete traveshamockery (travesty, sham and mockery) if this track doesn't end up on the box...

And before anyone asks, no I will NOT share.  Like the previous poster, I made a promise that it was for my ears only.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 30, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »

This is not getting better  Sad
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »

You cannot possibly gauge the full merit of this song from 30 seconds of the intro: the OP has given you, essentially, nothing. Apologies if this offends, or seems to be stoking my ego but those who've heard the full track may well agree. Bit like hearing "WIBN" up to the pre-chorus and no further - the entire meat of the track is absent.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 31, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »

Glad to hear it wasn't a scam, but i'm happy waiting for the boxed set to hear it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 31, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »

I'm still wondering if he has the full seven minute version.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 31, 2013, 03:12:16 AM »

You cannot possibly gauge the full merit of this song from 30 seconds of the intro: the OP has given you, essentially, nothing. Apologies if this offends, or seems to be stoking my ego but those who've heard the full track may well agree. Bit like hearing "WIBN" up to the pre-chorus and no further - the entire meat of the track is absent.

That's what I said! Must be super galling...

"oh wow, this is cool, it's Dennis and a piano...can't wait for it to kick in....zZZZIP!"

I don't envy anyone who's only heard that much of it really. A minute might have been even worse!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: May 31, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »

I'm still wondering if he has the full seven minute version.

No, just the edit on the 'acetate' of TWOTS - the additional three-odd minutes are just flute and guitar noodling. For completeists only. Check out Adam's version to hear the song as we will (hopefully) hear it on the box. Buy his CD anyway, it's damn good, as is his latest offering.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx