gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 04:00:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again  (Read 193510 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »

Carl shines vocally on this album, but I just can't get behind the '71 version of the title track because of Carl's lead. Probably because I heard the various SMiLE versions with Brian on lead. I think Brian's voice has this spiritual quality that so perfectly suits Van Dyke's lyrics. Carl's voice is spiritual too, but not in the same way. I wonder what it would be like if Bruce tried the lead!  Smiley

I'd like a split lead with Brian on the first movement, Carl on the second and Mike on the lines "Surf's Up aboard a tidal wave, come about hard and join the young and often spring you gave".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »

Carl shines vocally on this album, but I just can't get behind the '71 version of the title track because of Carl's lead. Probably because I heard the various SMiLE versions with Brian on lead. I think Brian's voice has this spiritual quality that so perfectly suits Van Dyke's lyrics. Carl's voice is spiritual too, but not in the same way. I wonder what it would be like if Bruce tried the lead!  Smiley

I'd like a split lead with Brian on the first movement, Carl on the second and Mike on the lines "Surf's Up aboard a tidal wave, come about hard and join the young and often spring you gave".

No doubt Mikey would likey. He is just nuts over those columnated-ruins-domino type of lyrics !!

end sarcasm

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »

It'd be kinda funny if it was actually a bit crap.

I for one am setting the bar low.

At this point I'm excepting something just a little better than "Crack at your love"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 25, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »

At this point I'm excepting something just a little better than "Crack at your love"
Wow, you really are one for setting that bar pretty damned, low, huh?  laugh
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:45 AM »

It'd be kinda funny if it was actually a bit crap.

"Crack At Your Love" is great!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »

Almost every thread degenerates to this type of stuff. This place is getting un-readable.

I have to agree. It keeps surprising me how sour, negative and sometimes even hostile discussions on this board often get, while in fact we're all talking about a band that gave the world some of the sweetest, sunniest, most beautiful and most uplifting music ever made.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:08:20 AM by shelter » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 25, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

Almost every thread degenerates to this type of stuff. This place is getting un-readable.

I have to agree. It keeps surprising me how sour, negative and sometimes even hostile discussions on this board often get, while in fact we're all talking about a band that gave the world some of the sweetest, sunniest, most beautiful and most uplifting music ever made.

But then again the band themselves were crazy so it's only right the fans are  Grin

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

But then again the band themselves were crazy so it's only right the fans are  Grin

finally someone said it. let's never mention again how it always goes to sh*t or whatnot. if one really hates the shitstorm, don't log on the internet. chivalry has never existed in the cyber world, nor will it ever hopefully.

now let me get one with my Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:38:21 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 25, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »

But then again the band themselves were crazy so it's only right the fans are  Grin

finally someone said it. let's never mention again how it always goes to sh*t or whatnot. if one really hates the shitstorm, don't log on the internet. chivalry has never existed in the cyber world, nor will it ever hopefully.

now let me get one with my Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana
Then you need to grow up if you are thinking like that. If nothing else, using The Beach Boys as an example, then we should know better than to act like that. You guys always have an excuse for your bad behavior.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »

What a strange thread this has turned into. Some of you are so weird. When you find yourself willing a song to be rubbish just to see people's online reactions it's probably time you switched off the laptop and got some fresh air for a while. I think this thread needs to be nixed asap.

I don't think anyone was willing it to be rubbish, what was said that it would be amusing if the song turned out to be crap - which would be in spite of it being declared uniformly excellent despite practically no one having heard it.  No one is willing it to be crap.  Although with all the crap Beach Boys I listen to out of choice, then hey, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, would it?  I wonder if it's proto-chillwave too, but that could be for another thread.

Either way, it's irrefutably the best Beach Boys song I've never heard and as for getting fresh air, I live under a bridge with some homeless, racist emo children plus my Sony VAIO 11.6 Ultrabook.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:51:05 AM by PaulTMA » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

I've heard 2 covers of this song now and to honest they're good but they're nothing earth shattering. I think we've already had the Dennis gem from this period when we got "4th Of July". I'd love to be proven wrong but it does seem that people are building this song up in their heads to unrealistic levels.

wasn't it Alan Boyd who said it was the single best unreleased thing left in the Beach Boys vault? Jon Stebbins maybe? IE Someone who's actually heard it. It's not like we've just heard the title and thought 'bet that's good' or something.

I've only heard the one cover- with Evie Sands singing, and it's great, and clearly going to be a killer track, when we finally get to hear it. Much as I love Dennis's songwriting, his vocal delivery usually makes a track for me. Take something like 'angel come home'...I doubt that track would get as much love were Carl singing it, and for the same reason 4th of July tends to pass me by a bit. I can hear it's good, but I'm much rather it were Dennis singing it
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »

Even among people who think the song is only so-so, they all agree that is perhaps Dennis' finest vocal performance.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 25, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »

But then again the band themselves were crazy so it's only right the fans are  Grin

Then you need to grow up if you are thinking like that. If nothing else, using The Beach Boys as an example, then we should know better than to act like that. You guys always have an excuse for your bad behavior.

I do not consider it a matter of 'growing up' or any other term you wish to use.
You act condescending to me by insinuating that I should 'grow up', therby marking your imaginative seniority to me.

Furthermore you generalise my comment and suggest that I'm 'one of those guys' despite the fact that I have never insulted or done anything provocative or rude in any context on the internet simply due to what I would consider common decency. I want you to directly cite one of my posts as being rude before you generalise and insult me in that way again.

Now to my point.
Even though I could consider you rude for making such a horrid and illogical generalisation by throwing 'us guys' who 'always have an excuse' under the same category, I won't.
You see mister, unlike you I have no need to criticise other people's ethiquette and social conduct online. I accept what the internet is: a faceless, personality-lacking entity where intellects, morons and anything inbetween can mingle in one big soup and live content with it.

Although I have no clue what generation you could be from I would consider your stance very old fashioned on this issue. Very similar to those US lawmakers who have no clue what the internet is and therefore censor it (like today with CISPA, congratz murica).

Although I can understand one pointing a finger at a bad comment (personally I have no interest in correcting others), these gross generalisations are inexcusable and for Christ's sake stop complaining about how 'this board is going downhill' or  'I remember when this was still a good board'. Because these sentiments are not only ludicrous, they are also false. And these are the comments which really infuriate me.

something, something WIBNTLA (for the sake of topic)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:39:23 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Jason
« Reply #813 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »

Take it to PMs, please.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »

I've heard 2 covers of this song now and to honest they're good but they're nothing earth shattering. I think we've already had the Dennis gem from this period when we got "4th Of July". I'd love to be proven wrong but it does seem that people are building this song up in their heads to unrealistic levels.

wasn't it Alan Boyd who said it was the single best unreleased thing left in the Beach Boys vault? Jon Stebbins maybe? IE Someone who's actually heard it. It's not like we've just heard the title and thought 'bet that's good' or something.

Your quote is from Alan Boyd. Of course - the vaults have been emptied quite a bit in the last 20 years! Jon Stebbins has already posted about warning fans not to expect a "Dennis Wilson Surf's Up". You are right about hearing the actual Dennis vocals being the difference maker - with covers we are only getting half the picture.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »

[quote author=Death To Mike's Beard link=topic=3562.msg366206#msg366206
Your quote is from Alan Boyd. Of course - the vaults have been emptied quite a bit in the last 20 years!

[/quote]

Way to state the obvious! Wink

I'd still say that's high praise considering stuff of the calibre of say, 'Stevie' is still unreleased. And it's not like 'THE KEEPERS OF THE VAULTS' have done what this board loves to do- assigned an out of ten score to every unreleased track, and let them be released in order of greatness.

From what I've heard, and the fact I could listen to Dennis sing the phone book and be totally into it, I'm willing to bet I'm going to enjoy this at least as much as still i dream of it or something.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 25, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »

I do not consider it a matter of 'growing up' or any other term you wish to use.
You act condescending to me by insinuating that I should 'grow up', therby marking your imaginative seniority to me.

Furthermore you generalise my comment and suggest that I'm 'one of those guys' despite the fact that I have never insulted or done anything provocative or rude in any context on the internet simply due to what I would consider common decency. I want you to directly cite one of my posts as being rude before you generalise and insult me in that way again.

Now to my point.
Even though I could consider you rude for making such a horrid and illogical generalisation by throwing 'us guys' who 'always have an excuse' under the same category, I won't.
You see mister, unlike you I have no need to criticise other people's ethiquette and social conduct online. I accept what the internet is: a faceless, personality-lacking entity where intellects, morons and anything inbetween can mingle in one big soup and live content with it.

Although I have no clue what generation you could be from I would consider your stance very old fashioned on this issue. Very similar to those US lawmakers who have no clue what the internet is and therefore censor it (like today with CISPA, congratz murica).

Although I can understand one pointing a finger at a bad comment (personally I have no interest in correcting others), these gross generalisations are inexcusable and for Christ's sake stop complaining about how 'this board is going downhill' or  'I remember when this was still a good board'. Because these sentiments are not only ludicrous, they are also false. And these are the comments which really infuriate me.

something, something WIBNTLA (for the sake of topic)
You can take what I said any way that you like. Have a ball with it!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »

Like a couple of others have done yesterday, I think I am done posting here for awhile. I'll comeback when there is something substantial to talk about. It is cool out time for me. Right now, this place frustrates more than it satisfies.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 25, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

What do you say we go over the ending of 'fun fun fun' just one more time?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »

[quote author=Death To Mike's Beard link=topic=3562.msg366206#msg366206
Your quote is from Alan Boyd. Of course - the vaults have been emptied quite a bit in the last 20 years!

Way to state the obvious! Wink

I'd still say that's high praise considering stuff of the calibre of say, 'Stevie' is still unreleased. And it's not like 'THE KEEPERS OF THE VAULTS' have done what this board loves to do- assigned an out of ten score to every unreleased track, and let them be released in order of greatness.

From what I've heard, and the fact I could listen to Dennis sing the phone book and be totally into it, I'm willing to bet I'm going to enjoy this at least as much as still i dream of it or something.
[/quote]

If it's as good as Barbara or A Time To Live In Dreams then I'll be happy.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »

Re: WIBNTLA...it will be what it will be. A little too much thin skin all around, folks. The cover version performed by Adam's band ought to lay to rest any notions, sardonic or otherwise, that the song is going to be some kind of major disappointment.

Obviously it's tough to "wait and see" under such circumstances, but there's nothing else that can be done. The BBs own the rights to the song and to the recording. We all just need to get over it, move on to other things, and keep our fingers crossed.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »

I had a dream where I heard WIBNTLA a couple of hours ago and confirm it is in fact a classic.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:49:11 PM by PaulTMA » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 25, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »

On reflection, perhaps there's room for WIBNTLA and SDT on Surf's Up, if we just got rid of Feel Flows which is kinda long.

On reflection, perhaps there's room for WIBNTLA and SDT on Surf's Up, if we just got rid of Feel Flows which is kinda long.
I say we nix 'Til I Die.

What a downer!

You both should be incarcerated
I was just pulling my best Mike Love impression there, or at least how everyone portrays him.

(Didn't he call 'Tie I Die "a downer!" at some point? I know he said that about something.)

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 25, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »

I say we nix 'Til I Die.

What a downer!

You both should be incarcerated
I was just pulling my best Mike Love impression there, or at least how everyone portrays him.

(Didn't he call 'Tie I Die "a downer!" at some point? I know he said that about something.)

Maybe he did. I was definitely drunk when i posted the "incarcerated" comment, so any sarcasm didn't resonate.

People need to stop leaving this board just because it's seems to be vitriolic lately. Talk about taking the Internet too seriously.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »

I had a dream where I heard WIBNTLA a couple of hours ago and confirm it is in fact a classic.
I had a dream like that too, except where the noodling flutes should be, it devolved into Mothers Of Invention style noise making. Then The Beatles ate one of my friends.
I have really messed up dreams.

A discipline daddy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx