gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:42:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY  (Read 49956 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »

His dot post was voting 2nd time, now with "Here There & Everywhere". He somehow took it to mean that pixletwin arranged separate round, to choose between the 2. I explained to him it's still the same round. & showed him his earlier choice.
Watamushi, did I say it right?
Right.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »

Watamushi, As far as I know, you can change your original vote to "Here There and Everywhere" - which should be the deciding vote for this round.

Pixletwin,  I've already got caught up in the controlling factor of this game once.  Rather not see it in every round.  I would request you clarify the right to change a vote to Watamushi.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:09:25 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »

I'm only sleeping

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »

I'm only sleeping
Looks like this is new vote that should be counted. Paging pixletwin. Smiley

Watamushi, As far as I know, you can change your original vote to "Here There and Everywhere" - which should be the deciding vote for this round.
Sorry but it's too late for it as rab2591 voted BEFORE Watamushi changed his vote. If you changed your vote doesn't mean everybody wants to do it. Watamushi didn't show in any way that he wants to change the vote. It was just little misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:53:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2017, 06:09:52 AM »

i'm only awake in this conquest!!!!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »

Whenever there's been a tie, Pixletwin has said "first NEW vote" will decide. I thought that implied that a previous vote cant be changed. I think that's the fairest way. Bummer if my favorite song gets voted off. Prior to a tie at the end of a round people have changed their vote from time to time.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »

Whenever there's been a tie, Pixletwin has said "first NEW vote" will decide. I thought that implied that a previous vote cant be changed. I think that's the fairest way. Bummer if my favorite song gets voted off. Prior to a tie at the end of a round people have changed their vote from time to time.
Well said. rab2591's vote decides.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2017, 07:54:04 AM »

Round is closed. I will make it official later.

To answer the question about switching.....

I would say people flip their votes all the time on the TV show, so why not here?  3D

So when there is a tie, feel free to flip your vote!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:54:37 AM by pixletwin » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »

no! change votes? yeah, i don't know about that.  i may be coming into a breakdown.....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Round is closed. I will make it official later.
Jolly good. Smiley

Folks, we're in for treat to get to the really interesting final round! Paul vs. George - I figured that every George song would be out halfway, not to mention making to finals. But now "Taxman" is in! Can't wait its start.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:02:21 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »

Why would you think every song by George would be out?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »

His dot post was voting 2nd time, now with "Here There & Everywhere". He somehow took it to mean that pixletwin arranged separate round, to choose between the 2. I explained to him it's still the same round. & showed him his earlier choice.
Right.

This is what is right.  Cotton Insect (Watamushi) tried to change his vote.  Did it in a way to the best of his abilities.  Then was told he could not according to some rule I've never heard of, and I've been playing this game for over three years.

When is a game not a game?  When all the rules are set by only one person.  Makes it more a "Rank the Tracks" deal, per individual.  That can be done elsewhere.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »

Confusion works, sometimes.

https://youtu.be/w-I53DTXLmY

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »

Cotton Insect?  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

Right.

This is what is right.  Cotton Insect (Watamushi) tried to change his vote.  Did it in a way to the best of his abilities.  Then was told he could not according to some rule I've never heard of, and I've been playing this game for over three years.

When is a game not a game?  When all the rules are set by only one person.  Makes it more a "Rank the Tracks" deal, per individual.  That can be done elsewhere.

So if I am understanding you correctly, for the sake of simplicity no flips allowed when a tie breaker is called for?

I am okay with that too.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2017, 12:47:45 PM »

This is the album I consider to be the end of the Beatles v.1 (i.e. the moptops).

Revolver is the seventh studio album by the English rock band the Beatles. It was released on 5 August 1966 in the United Kingdom and three days later in the United States. The album was the Beatles' final recording project before they retired from performing concerts and marked a progression on their 1965 release Rubber Soul in terms of the group's readiness to experiment in the recording studio. The album's diverse sounds include the incorporation of tape loops and backwards recordings on the psychedelic "Tomorrow Never Knows", a classical string octet on "Eleanor Rigby", and Indian-music backing on "Love You To". Reduced to eleven songs for the North American market, where three of its tracks instead appeared on the June 1966 release Yesterday and Today, Revolver was the last Beatles album to be subjected to Capitol Records' policy of altering the band's intended running order and content. More at wikipedia.com

18 votes spread across 4 songs.
A pretty hotly contested round. This vote will mean no Lennon songs in the final three. 8 smilers voted to WAKE HIM UP!!!!

Here we come to the final round. The three top survivors.

Pick which of the remaining three songs is YOUR FAVORITE. Winner takes all and becomes the 7th Beatle Surivor.

Tally on May 8.

Taxman
Eleanor Rigby
Here, There and Everywhere

Round#1 Love You To April 10
Round#2 Yellow Submarine April 12
Round#3 I Want To Tell You April 15
Round#4 Doctor Robert April 18
Round#5 Good Day Sunshine April 20
Round#6 Got To Get You Into My Life April 22
Round#7 She Said She Said April 24
Round#8 And Your Bird Can Sing April 27
Round#9 For No One May 1
Round#10 Tomorrow Never Knows May 3
Round#11 I'm Only Sleeping May 6

Here There and Everywhere was my pick to go for 3 rounds in a row. So I am obviously not picking that one....

Taxman is a valiant effort by George with a great bass line from Paul. If Lennon is to be believed he had more to do with the writing of the song than George ever gave him credit for....

My vote for SURVIVOR goes to Eleanor Rigby. Great string quartet arrangement from Sir George Martin. Superb melody by Paul and, as John said, the lyrics proved that Paul could write great lyrics when he wanted to. Plus the opening shot of Yellow Submarine playing Eleanor Rigby is about as iconic as they come.

It's also cool that there just happened to be graves for BOTH an "Eleanor Rigby" and "Father John Mackenzie" in a cemetery near Paul's home.

3D

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:49:32 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »

Right.

So if I am understanding you correctly, for the sake of simplicity no flips allowed when a tie breaker is called for?

I am okay with that too.
Hmm. Suppressed voter.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »

Favorite-Taxman.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »

My vote for SURVIVOR goes to Eleanor Rigby. Great string quartet arrangement from Sir George Martin. Superb melody by Paul and, as John said, the lyrics proved that Paul could write great lyrics when he wanted to. Plus the opening shot of Yellow Submarine playing Eleanor Rigby is about as iconic as they come.

I subscribe to that notion, but he had a lot of help on this one. Ringo's "darning his socks" line is my favorite.

Eleanor Rigby, for the win!

Pixletwin, just to be clear...when there's a tie the first new vote or changed/switched/flipped vote decides it? I'd prefer to wait for a new vote, but either way, as long as it's clear.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Scaroline No
« Reply #269 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »

ELEANOR RIGBY
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »

[Deleted]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:26:40 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »

Of these three, I probably play Taxman the most. George is now really in his element.
Have played this song so many times that for a good while, when remembering who's the present PM of the UK, I would immediately think "Wilson? Heath?"

However, as much as I love that song, the best of the bunch IMO is ELEANOR RIGBY.
Probably the only Beatles song to bring tears to my eyes. One of Paul's very best efforts.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

"Eleanor Rigby". It's beautiful, poetic & really makes you stop in tracks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:22:06 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »

Right.

I am okay with that too.
Hmm. Suppressed voter.

No one's vote was suppressed. It was just a misunderstanding. Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

[Deleted]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:17:01 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx