gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:16:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #6 WINNER: In My Life  (Read 41223 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »

This is basically a 3-way tie. I'll go with In My Life. I guess.

Revolver is going to be impossible.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »

tough vote
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

Well, after voting for Drive My Car 11 straight rounds... Shocked

This is basically a 3-way tie. I'll go with In My Life. I guess.

Revolver is going to be impossible.

I don't think there will be a harder decision for me to have to make, then to decide between Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, and In My Life!!! Incredible. John is my all-time favorite musician and these are 3 of his absolute finest songs. Norwegian Wood has grown on me a lot since picking up the Mono Box last summer (and I always loved it!). I'm not sure the Beatles harmonies ever sounded better than on Nowhere Man and I love the lyrics. I've also long considered In My Life to be one of John's greatest musical achievements. Gotta love that falsetto ending!

So, basically a 3-way tie, but I'll go with In My Life. I think that's the song I'd most consistently choose.

Terrific. John's 3 in the finals. Surprise! Roll Eyes Thanks to everybody dumping last Paul's song.

Refuse to vote. See you at Revolver.

Don't worry, Paul will have his time to shine. He simply wasn't as prolific as John during this period. I'm actually surprised that Michelle didn't stick around a little longer. I thought it was more of a fan favorite for some reason. I love those backing vocals. I just zero in on them. What can I say? For me, there's nothing like Beatle and Beach Boy harmony. Nothing.

By the way, isn't John's vocal delivery in the verses of Girl incredible?! The timing of it? John peaked during this era. Truly great.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »

John was in and about to hit his prime imo.  never thought his solo stuff was
all that great to be honest, apart from a few tunes, but he shines at this point
in the group.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »

John is my all-time favorite musician and these are 3 of his absolute finest songs.
Agreed. I think these 3 songs plus Girl are the apex of his songwriting career, and it's one of the reasons why I tend to think Rubber Soul is their best album (by a slim margin).

Paul, IMO, reached his peak a bit later.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:37:54 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2017, 07:04:57 AM »

Shame. Nowhere Man is my favorite Beatles song and probably in the top 5 of my favorites all around. In My Life is fine.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »

in my life ftw

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »

Thank you bringahorse. I know how hard that was for you.  LOL

The preceding albums were the countdown. Now we are BLASTING OFF!!!

Rubber Soul is an album by the Beatles, their sixth UK album, and the tenth released in America. Released on 3 December 1965, it met with a highly favourable critical response and topped record charts in the United Kingdom for several weeks, as well as in the United States, where it was issued with a different selection of tracks.

Produced by George Martin, Rubber Soul incorporates a mix of 1960s pop, soul, and folk music styles. The album's name comes from the term plastic soul, which popular African American soul musicians coined to describe Mick Jagger, a white musician singing soul music. It was the second Beatles album – after the British version of A Hard Day's Night – to contain only original material, and was recorded in just over four weeks to make the Christmas market. Unlike the five albums that preceded it, Rubber Soul was recorded during a continuous period, whereas the group had previously made their albums during breaks between tour dates and other commitments. The project marked the first time that the Beatles focused on creating an album as an artistic work, an approach that they then developed with Revolver (1966) and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967).

The album has been included in numerous "best of" album lists compiled by various publications, and is regarded by musicologists as a major artistic achievement that continued the group's artistic maturation while attaining widespread critical and commercial success. In 2012, Rubber Soul was ranked number five on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". In 2013, after the British Phonographic Industry changed their sales award rules, the album was declared as having gone platinum.

19 votes in this final round pretty evenly split between two songs - which spent much of this final round going neck-in-neck!  Shocked

Apparently This Bird Had Flown before this round even began. 0 votes. (Have we ever seen that in a final round?)

8 smilers felt that Nowhere Man went more places than any other song on the album.

But the sixth winner of Beatles Survivor, with 11 votes, is....

I n  M y  L i f e
Round#1 What Goes On March 7
Round#2 Run For Your Life March 10
Round#3 The Word March 14
Round#4 Wait March 17
Round#5 Michelle March 20
Round#6 Think For Yourself March 23
Round#7 If I Needed Someone March 25
Round#8 Girl March 28
Round#9 I'm Looking Through You April 1
Round#10 You Won't See Me April 4
Round#11 Drive My Car April 6
Round#12 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) April 8
Round#12 Nowhere Man April 8

Thank you all for playing. This has been one of the funnest rounds of Survivor I can ever recall playing!

I hope most of you enjoy it as well.

Next up.....
The end of the moptop era....

Links  to past winners:

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: Twist and Shout
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner!: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 WINNER: HELP!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:21:22 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »

So sad to see Nowhere Man couldn't finally win.

Anyway, looking forward to my favorite album Revolver Cheesy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »

Haha, "Norwegian wood" got 0 votes??! Waaay funny.

Can't wait to play the next Survivor. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »

Starting now I am going to start posting links to the past round in the first post and the winning post of a survivor threads. Just as an FYI.  3D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx